Handhelds Are Dead: 3DS Outperforming DS in America

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by loosingENDS (11793 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

With all the below games, i doubt a single gamer will exist without a 3DS at some point

- Bravely Default 1-2 (the ruturn of true FF like 6-7-8)

- Layton Azran and Mircale Mask

- Shin Megai Tensei 4

- Zelda 2

- Animal Corssing

- Donkey King

- Shantae 2

- Unchain Blades

- Etrian Odyssey

- Fire Emblem

- Zelda OOT

- Level 5 input

MLBknights58

That... is a very impressive list actually.  Forgot Pokemon as well.

Indeed

For an old school PS1 and N64 gamer that loved FF7-8-9 and Zelda, 3DS is like N64 and PS1 were reborn on a single amazing system

Level 5 beeing on board also seems Ni no Kuni could make an appearence on 3DS, probably enchanced, there were some comments about it too

#2 Posted by MLBknights58 (5016 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

With all the below games, i doubt a single gamer will exist without a 3DS at some point

- Shin Megai Tensei 4

- Zelda 2

- Animal Corssing

- Donkey King

- Shantae 2

- Unchain Blades

- Etrian Odyssey

- Fire Emblem

- Zelda OOT

- Level 5 input

burgeg

I don't give a crap about any of those. Zelda might have interested me if it was 3D. DK would have interested me if it wasn't a Wii port. Professor Layon games are all the same. I'm burned on the series. Didn't even bother finishing Miracle Mask. Everything else is a game aimed at the japanese audience and a type of game I just don't care about. Pretty much the only 3DS game in the future I plan on getting is Yoshi's Island. Though with that said I still need to get NSMB2, but it looks so samey I'd only get it when the price drops.....which it seemingly never will. I've been waiting and waiting, but it just never does. Curse Mario game being so popular the price doesn't go down quick enough!

Some of the best offerings on the system are on that list.  If you are not interested in any of those, the only question that remains is why are you a 3DS owner aside from a game or two?  Not coming off as snarky or combative either, mind you.

#3 Posted by loosingENDS (11793 posts) -

Impulse buy. An impulse buy I regret. Partly because of the price drop so quickly and partly because I don't really play it much. Basically I played OOT on my mates 3DS one day and on that day I went out and bought the thing purely for that. Plus it had a 3D Mario out for it that year and Resident Evil Revelations on the way. Those games are only the best offerings on the system if you personally like those games. I don't.

burgeg

If you like RPGs, Unchained Blades is super eddictive and rather long (i am 60+ hours in)

Yes because preferring western style games to japanese means I'm not a gamer. Flawless logic.

burgeg

Then why buy a 3DS ? It is puzzling, that is all

#4 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

Reggie Fils-Aime was interviewed and asked about the 3DS and it's health on the market. 

In an interview, Fils-Aime says Nintendo has sold 8 million 3DS devices in the U.S. since launching in 2011, ahead of the original DS' pace of 7 million during the same period of time.

"That gives us a lot of confidence and a lot of belief that with great content and great experiences, the 3DS is going to be a very healthy platform," says Fils-Aime.

The 3DS still has a high bar to vault to catch the original DS, which has sold 53 million in the U.S. and more than 150 million globally since 2004. The handheld also faces several competitors, including Sony's PlayStation Vita and a growing selection of smartphones and tablets that feature downloadable titles for lower prices, or even free.

However, Fils-Aime says the 3DS still offers something unique to the handheld video game market. "From a consumer standpoint, it's all about the content."

Link

-

Handheld gaming is dead guys. 

[spoiler] Only if you're a Vita fan. Sorry, couldn't resist. [/spoiler]

#5 Posted by locopatho (23176 posts) -
Same old story. Systems can struggle when they lack games. When they get great games they sell.
Avatar image for darkspineslayer
#6 Posted by darkspineslayer (22399 posts) -
Good time to be a handheld owner. But, hey Reggie, bro...that whole "great content and great experiences" thing would give the Wii U a shot in the arm ass well.
#7 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -
I've been saying this for the longest time: handheld gaming is not dead. Nintendo is handheld gaming. Nintendo will not let it die. All that is dead is handheld gaming outside of Nintendo. Look at the 3DS right now. Look at all the shit its getting this year. I can't keep up with it anymore. Games sell systems. And no games sell systems like Nintendo games.
#8 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7411 posts) -

And here we are a few months in and guess what? Pokemon X/Y worldwide launch and holiday gun being a brand new Zelda 3DS. Just as I predicted last year. Animal Crossing is the summer title. The lineup is perfect. Can we have a sidescrolling Metroid game next year? plsplspls 

#9 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8465 posts) -

npdttmhandheld11bc0.png

It would be amazing if 3ds could match the orginal ds's level of performance. They'll have to release some heavy hitters, and possibly, even a price drop to continue out performing ds. 

#10 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -

npdttmhandheld11bc0.png

It would be amazing if 3ds could match the orginal ds's level of performance. They'll have to release some heavy hitters, and possibly, even a price drop to continue out performing ds. 

MFDOOM1983
Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Zelda, Mario... I think it will keep pace with the DS this year or fall only very slightly behind. Also, holy crap at the GBA line. :shock:
#11 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7411 posts) -

npdttmhandheld11bc0.png

MFDOOM1983

They won't be able to. The Nintendogs / Brain Age audience moved on to mobile devices and social gaming.

But hey that means more resources directed towards games we like.

#12 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25164 posts) -
Nintendo is just spinning it really, whilst 3DS is not doing as bad as DS in the same time frame, it has slowed down a lot now in the west. GBA sold more in its time yet DS outsold GBA, so this means little really.
Avatar image for darkspineslayer
#13 Posted by darkspineslayer (22399 posts) -
[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Also, holy crap at the GBA line. :shock:

It was a different time. A time before Angry Birds. I miss that time
#14 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]I've been saying this for the longest time: handheld gaming is not dead. Nintendo is handheld gaming. Nintendo will not let it die. All that is dead is handheld gaming outside of Nintendo. Look at the 3DS right now. Look at all the shit its getting this year. I can't keep up with it anymore. Games sell systems. And no games sell systems like Nintendo games.

True story. Thank you Based Nintendo.
#15 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -
Nintendo is just spinning it really, whilst 3DS is not doing as bad as DS in the same time frame, it has slowed down a lot now in the west. GBA sold more in its time yet DS outsold GBA, so this means little really.SaltyMeatballs
Eh. It's shipped 10 million in the US, 10 million in EU, 10 million in Japan, all in two years. I think it's doing fine.
#16 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25164 posts) -
[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]Nintendo is just spinning it really, whilst 3DS is not doing as bad as DS in the same time frame, it has slowed down a lot now in the west. GBA sold more in its time yet DS outsold GBA, so this means little really.charizard1605
Eh. It's shipped 10 million in the US, 10 million in EU, 10 million in Japan, all in two years. I think it's doing fine.

What did? Anyway, why do we still care about 3DS outselling the original DS? It will never match the 150 million worldwide sales of the DS. NEVER.
#17 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]Nintendo is just spinning it really, whilst 3DS is not doing as bad as DS in the same time frame, it has slowed down a lot now in the west. GBA sold more in its time yet DS outsold GBA, so this means little really.SaltyMeatballs

What did? Anyway, why do we still care about 3DS outselling the original DS? It will never match the 150 million worldwide sales of the DS. NEVER.

3DS did those numbers. And of course it won't. Nothing will. That doesn't change the fact that it will be (and already is en route) to being a much better system.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#18 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -
Psyched for the 3ds redesign. It needs a sleeker outfit.
#19 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25164 posts) -
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Eh. It's shipped 10 million in the US, 10 million in EU, 10 million in Japan, all in two years. I think it's doing fine.

3DS did those numbers. And of course it won't. Nothing will. That doesn't change the fact that it will be (and already is en route) to being a much better system.

It doesn't change that, yeah, but this is a sales thread, won't come close to DS sales figures. 8 million, now what? "DS Lite" about to hit what will be the next Nintendo spin when 3DS gets bent over in the coming years?
#20 Posted by enzyme36 (3273 posts) -

A top down 2d zelda (well 2.5ish) is the final straw for some of the neigh-sayers... I expect this year to be another good year for the 3DS.

#21 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

Saving for my New PC so I keep saying YES ILL GET A 3DS then eventually backing off saying no no..ill wait, but with so many Titles being released I might cave soon. Wish Nintendo had something like PS+ It's what makes my Vita a awesome long term investment barely buy any games for it these days and just let PS+ fill my Memory Card. Wish Nintendo had something like that their games almost never drop in price and don't get too many sales so buying games is a harder decsion for me. If I save up some cash I MIGHT be able to get a 3DS Xl if there is a Sale coming up, weird how the Ps Vita in bundles is cheaper then the 3DS XL here in Australia its what turns me off the system too expensive right now.

PC / Handheld seems the way to go for this gen <3

Edit: Why Can't I have the best of both worlds, Sony hardware with Nintendo Titles !!

#22 Posted by enzyme36 (3273 posts) -

Psyched for the 3ds redesign. It needs a sleeker outfit. Heirren

Is this true?

#23 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -
[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"] What did? Anyway, why do we still care about 3DS outselling the original DS? It will never match the 150 million worldwide sales of the DS. NEVER.

It doesn't change that, yeah, but this is a sales thread, won't come close to DS sales figures. 8 million, now what? "DS Lite" about to hit what will be the next Nintendo spin when 3DS gets bent over in the coming years?

Just wait for the inevitable 3DSi
#24 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12833 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Psyched for the 3ds redesign. It needs a sleeker outfit. enzyme36

Is this true?

It just needs more XL colors.
#25 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Psyched for the 3ds redesign. It needs a sleeker outfit. enzyme36

Is this true?

Eventually, of course. It's how Nintendo maintains interest in the portable market. However, sluggish wiiu sales may offset its release. I would say Zelda 3DS would be the perfect game to drive a redesign, but if it's arriving for the holidays it makes more sense to put the effort into pushing wiiu.
#26 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -

Is this true?

Nothing has been announced yet, but there's definitely going to be a 3DS redesign, Nintendo releases one every year and a half or so.
#27 Posted by loosingENDS (11793 posts) -

- Shin Megai Tensei 4

- Zelda 2

- Animal Corssing

- Donkey King

- Shantae 2

- Unchain Blades

- Etrian Odyssey

- Fire Emblem

- Zelda OOT

- Level 5 input

#28 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7411 posts) -

[QUOTE="enzyme36"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Psyched for the 3ds redesign. It needs a sleeker outfit. Heirren

Is this true?

Eventually, of course. It's how Nintendo maintains interest in the portable market. However, sluggish wiiu sales may offset its release. I would say Zelda 3DS would be the perfect game to drive a redesign, but if it's arriving for the holidays it makes more sense to put the effort into pushing wiiu.

3DSi next year?!

It could have the perks of XL, but its size somewhere between the original and XL. That would be perfect, but we'll see, XL won't be easy to beat.

#29 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="enzyme36"]

Is this true?

SuperFlakeman

3DSi next year?!

It could have the perks of XL, but its size somewhere between the original and XL. That would be perfect, but we'll see, XL won't be easy to beat.

I'm thinking more along the lines of 3DSxs. Larger screen than the original--maybe 4inches, but smaller in size overall.
#30 Posted by MLBknights58 (5016 posts) -

- Shin Megai Tensei 4

- Zelda 2

- Animal Corssing

- Donkey King

- Shantae 2

- Unchain Blades

- Etrian Odyssey

- Fire Emblem

- Zelda OOT

- Level 5 input

loosingENDS

That... is a very impressive list actually.  Forgot Pokemon as well.

#31 Posted by sonic_spark (5587 posts) -

Pokemon, Zelda, Mario & Luigi alone.... will just smash sales numbers.

#32 Posted by heeweesRus (5492 posts) -

[QUOTE="enzyme36"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Psyched for the 3ds redesign. It needs a sleeker outfit. charizard1605

Is this true?

Nothing has been announced yet, but there's definitely going to be a 3DS redesign, Nintendo releases one every year and a half or so.

3DSmicro :shock:

#33 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="enzyme36"]

Is this true?

heeweesRus

3DSmicro :shock:

I wish :( Gameboy Micro was dope
#34 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

- Shin Megai Tensei 4

- Zelda 2

- Animal Corssing

- Donkey King

- Shantae 2

- Unchain Blades

- Etrian Odyssey

- Fire Emblem

- Zelda OOT

- Level 5 input

loosingENDS

I don't give a crap about any of those. Zelda might have interested me if it was 3D. DK would have interested me if it wasn't a Wii port. Professor Layon games are all the same. I'm burned on the series. Didn't even bother finishing Miracle Mask. Everything else is a game aimed at the japanese audience and a type of game I just don't care about. Pretty much the only 3DS game in the future I plan on getting is Yoshi's Island. Though with that said I still need to get NSMB2, but it looks so samey I'd only get it when the price drops.....which it seemingly never will. I've been waiting and waiting, but it just never does. Curse Mario game being so popular the price doesn't go down quick enough!

#35 Posted by Mrmedia01 (1917 posts) -

Same old story. Systems can struggle when they lack games. When they get great games they sell.locopatho

This, QFT

#36 Posted by loosingENDS (11793 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

- Shin Megai Tensei 4

- Zelda 2

- Animal Corssing

- Donkey King

- Shantae 2

- Unchain Blades

- Etrian Odyssey

- Fire Emblem

- Zelda OOT

- Level 5 input

burgeg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............

#37 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
why would anyone buy a normal DS when you can geta 3ds for like $25 more?
#38 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

[QUOTE="burgeg"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

- Shin Megai Tensei 4

- Zelda 2

- Animal Corssing

- Donkey King

- Shantae 2

- Unchain Blades

- Etrian Odyssey

- Fire Emblem

- Zelda OOT

- Level 5 input

loosingENDS

Oh no an opinion that isn't positive!

Sorry if I hurt your feelings bro.

#39 Posted by loosingENDS (11793 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="burgeg"]I don't give a crap about any of those. Zelda might have interested me if it was 3D. DK would have interested me if it wasn't a Wii port. Professor Layon games are all the same. I'm burned on the series. Didn't even bother finishing Miracle Mask. Everything else is a game aimed at the japanese audience and a type of game I just don't care about. Pretty much the only 3DS game in the future I plan on getting is Yoshi's Island. Though with that said I still need to get NSMB2, but it looks so samey I'd only get it when the price drops.....which it seemingly never will. I've been waiting and waiting, but it just never does. Curse Mario game being so popular the price doesn't go down quick enough!

burgeg

LOL, admit you dont have a 3DS and you are jealous

#40 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

[QUOTE="burgeg"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

LOL, admit you dont have a 3DS and you are jealous

Lol, I've had a 3DS since OOT came out for it. Got a bundle with OOT for £200. Then like a month later the price dropped. Oh lord I was pissed.

#41 Posted by loosingENDS (11793 posts) -

[QUOTE="burgeg"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

- Shin Megai Tensei 4

- Zelda 2

- Animal Corssing

- Donkey King

- Shantae 2

- Unchain Blades

- Etrian Odyssey

- Fire Emblem

- Zelda OOT

- Level 5 input

MLBknights58

Some of the best offerings on the system are on that list.  If you are not interested in any of those, the only question that remains is why are you a 3DS owner aside from a game or two?  Not coming off as snarky or combative either, mind you.

The question would be why he is a gamer at all TBH

#42 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

[QUOTE="burgeg"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

- Shin Megai Tensei 4

- Zelda 2

- Animal Corssing

- Donkey King

- Shantae 2

- Unchain Blades

- Etrian Odyssey

- Fire Emblem

- Zelda OOT

- Level 5 input

MLBknights58

Impulse buy. An impulse buy I regret. Partly because of the price drop so quickly and partly because I don't really play it much. Basically I played OOT on my mates 3DS one day and on that day I went out and bought the thing purely for that. Plus it had a 3D Mario out for it that year and Resident Evil Revelations on the way. Those games are only the best offerings on the system if you personally like those games. I don't.

#43 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

[QUOTE="burgeg"]I don't give a crap about any of those. Zelda might have interested me if it was 3D. DK would have interested me if it wasn't a Wii port. Professor Layon games are all the same. I'm burned on the series. Didn't even bother finishing Miracle Mask. Everything else is a game aimed at the japanese audience and a type of game I just don't care about. Pretty much the only 3DS game in the future I plan on getting is Yoshi's Island. Though with that said I still need to get NSMB2, but it looks so samey I'd only get it when the price drops.....which it seemingly never will. I've been waiting and waiting, but it just never does. Curse Mario game being so popular the price doesn't go down quick enough!

loosingENDS

The question would be why he is a gamer at all TBH

Yes because preferring western style games to japanese means I'm not a gamer. Flawless logic.

#44 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

[QUOTE="burgeg"]

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

loosingENDS

If you like RPGs, Unchained Blades is super eddictive and rather long (i am 60+ hours in)

And there is the problem. I don't like RPGs. A lot of the 3DS's library is RPGs. Games people rave about on 3DS are RPGs. I'm not saying these games are necessarily bad. They're just not the type of games I'm in to. Thus the 3DS library not impressing me.

#45 Posted by Optical_Order (5100 posts) -

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

burgeg

You should probably sell it then. If none of those games listed interest you then the 3DS isn't for you. 

#46 Posted by ultramega9 (178 posts) -

I get the feeling that they no longer have the capacity to make first party games for BOTH handhelds and consoles. Either that, or they just except the wiiu to sell itself, like the wii did.

#47 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

Then why buy a 3DS ? It is puzzling, that is all

loosingENDS

As I said, impulse buy. Wasn't really thinking it through at the time. Ocarina of time portable was too awesome to pass up after I played it. And I was pretty hyped for Mario 3D Land and Resident Evil Revelations at the time, so I knew I'd want it at some point.

#48 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

[QUOTE="burgeg"]

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

Optical_Order

You should probably sell it then. If none of those games listed interest you then the 3DS isn't for you. 

Eh, it'll get the occasional platformer release I care about. It's worth keeping for those, even if they don't come around very often. Yoshi's Island is coming! Can't pass that up.

#49 Posted by King_Dodongo (3757 posts) -
[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Also, holy crap at the GBA line. :shock:

It was a different time. A time before Angry Birds. I miss that time

QFT. Anyways, great time to be a 3DS owner.
Avatar image for deactivated-57d773aa56272
#50 Posted by deactivated-57d773aa56272 (2292 posts) -

I wish something captivating was on the 3DS!!!