Halo Wars - The best 6.5 game EVER!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#251 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

Actually Socom Confrontation is the best 6.5 game due to the fact it's been revamped with numerous patches and is nothing like it once was when it first launched.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#253 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

Hmmm

This thread is more about people complaining about Halo Wars score - it being underscored in genral, compared to its quality, than a discussion about the quality of writers at GS I guess....

However, even before the mass walk about post Gerstmann-gate, GS had scored games outside the norm meta result - as gaming sites do.......Titles like Deus Ex will never be forgotten in that regard.

I honestly think its just another title that scored lower than the meta score - bringing attention to the fact the review was just not in line with the majority - as it has been done time and time again. Well on the topic of Halo Wars in particular.

Look under the layers, as you have and I agree (to a degree) as there is most probably some sort of an issue as far as manpower goes, and stretching staff; and I do think GS needs to lift its socks...... after losing so much staff...

Otherwise never the less scores like these will always happen, as they have in the past, here and elsewhere.

But honestly, personally - even though its a bit OT - I think the current state of game reviewing is a absolute mess. Writers can be pulled from anywhere, and because of the influx of such high streaming results, and hype around titles, scoring is totally skewed. When a game scores around a 7 its seen almost as 'mediocre', wheras a 9 almost seems as a requirement for a title to be highly regarded.

That and I believe quite a few critics out there are not nearly as.... educated.... as they should be. It almost seems as though anyone who enjoys video games and can write well, has the ability to pass themselves off a reviewer; and they will be swayed by others opinions and hype just as easily as any other gamer. Now of course this will always happen to a degree - its human nature - I just think standards need to rise...... Substantially.... and following that gamers expectations and judgements should shift.

Stuff like the Football Manager 09 review on IGN, and plenty of blunders elsewhere, have made be rather cynical of the system as a whole.

skrat_01

It's more a case of gamers caring too much about reviews than it is about reviewers sucking. Yeah, game reviewers are terrible journalists, they're biased, they never analyse games in depth and they rarely know enough about the genres in which the games they're reviewing fit. But none of that would matter if people would just realize that reviews are there to give you an idea about whether or not you should buy a game, not to judge a game's actual quality.

Sometimes reviewers don't realize that either, but reviews are never in depth enough to be able to qualify a game's quality. Their sole purpose is to tell you if you should try a game, instabuy it or ignore it.

Oh, and I'm a little late for that, but TLHBO. Halo Wars flopped, console RTS suck as expected, lmalmalmalmalma. ^_^

Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

Guys, this discussion is kind of mute when all things are considered. Halo Wars has the right review on this site, regardless of the number that follows. I would expect a 7.0 based off the demo, with flaws such as the small scale battles and unfitting base building elements. Then there is the slow frame rate and short story, as well as the lack of playable campaigns. It is basically a multiplayer game.

The review was right.

moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
[QUOTE="Leejjohno"]

Guys, this discussion is kind of mute when all things are considered. Halo Wars has the right review on this site, regardless of the number that follows. I would expect a 7.0 based off the demo, with flaws such as the small scale battles and unfitting base building elements. Then there is the slow frame rate and short story, as well as the lack of playable campaigns. It is basically a multiplayer game.

The review was right.

Then again with small scale battles, keep in mind there's only one huge ship seen throughout this entire movie, it'd be retarded to see massive fleets under your control and seeing them all come from that flagship. I don't see how the base building elements are unfitting either as for slow-frame rate I've not really experienced that as of yet but then again I haven't played that far into the story been doing multiplayer mostly.
mixmax5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 mixmax5
Member since 2006 • 2347 Posts

I'll have to pick this up eventually but I just don't feel the need to get it right now.

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#257 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts

The review was right.

Leejjohno
There is no small scale battles if you play 2v2 or 3v3. In fact the battles are nothing short of epic when the skill levels are about the same. I really don't know what you mean by slow frame rate seeing as how I haven't encountered any problems yet. The story is short but offers a lot of replay value even though there is only one campaign. But I'll agree the game is best played in multiplayer. The problems I have with the games are some balancing issues and only two playable factions. When you play the campaign, you'll encounter a lot of flood and as you encounter them you'll start asking yourself why they didn't make them playable for multiplayer.
CubanBlunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 CubanBlunt
Member since 2005 • 2025 Posts

I though you knew that all gamespot reviews are a joke.

milsvaard

ALL reviews are a joke.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#259 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn has been my favorite 6.5 this gen.

Lord_Omikron666
It didn't get a 6.5, it got a 6.0.
Keep-the-Faith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 Keep-the-Faith
Member since 2009 • 841 Posts

As a noob at Starcraft......I love playing it despite me keep losing. But with Halo Wars, im actually holding my own.

Thank you Ensemble for once catering to the underdog.

shaggygrosser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 shaggygrosser
Member since 2003 • 5871 Posts
The demo was fun enough, but I'll only keep an eye out for it when the price drops to $20 or lower.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]

Hmmm

This thread is more about people complaining about Halo Wars score - it being underscored in genral, compared to its quality, than a discussion about the quality of writers at GS I guess....

However, even before the mass walk about post Gerstmann-gate, GS had scored games outside the norm meta result - as gaming sites do.......Titles like Deus Ex will never be forgotten in that regard.

I honestly think its just another title that scored lower than the meta score - bringing attention to the fact the review was just not in line with the majority - as it has been done time and time again. Well on the topic of Halo Wars in particular.

Look under the layers, as you have and I agree (to a degree) as there is most probably some sort of an issue as far as manpower goes, and stretching staff; and I do think GS needs to lift its socks...... after losing so much staff...

Otherwise never the less scores like these will always happen, as they have in the past, here and elsewhere.

But honestly, personally - even though its a bit OT - I think the current state of game reviewing is a absolute mess. Writers can be pulled from anywhere, and because of the influx of such high streaming results, and hype around titles, scoring is totally skewed. When a game scores around a 7 its seen almost as 'mediocre', wheras a 9 almost seems as a requirement for a title to be highly regarded.

That and I believe quite a few critics out there are not nearly as.... educated.... as they should be. It almost seems as though anyone who enjoys video games and can write well, has the ability to pass themselves off a reviewer; and they will be swayed by others opinions and hype just as easily as any other gamer. Now of course this will always happen to a degree - its human nature - I just think standards need to rise...... Substantially.... and following that gamers expectations and judgements should shift.

Stuff like the Football Manager 09 review on IGN, and plenty of blunders elsewhere, have made be rather cynical of the system as a whole.

ReddestSkies

It's more a case of gamers caring too much about reviews than it is about reviewers sucking. Yeah, game reviewers are terrible journalists, they're biased, they never analyse games in depth and they rarely know enough about the genres in which the games they're reviewing fit. But none of that would matter if people would just realize that reviews are there to give you an idea about whether or not you should buy a game, not to judge a game's actual quality.

Sometimes reviewers don't realize that either, but reviews are never in depth enough to be able to qualify a game's quality. Their sole purpose is to tell you if you should try a game, instabuy it or ignore it.

Oh, and I'm a little late for that, but TLHBO. Halo Wars flopped, console RTS suck as expected, lmalmalmalmalma. ^_^

Hmmm you do have a point... indeed. The general view on reviews have turned more into a critical piece on the quality of a title, alongside others, instead of a 'product review'... that is true.

user_nat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 user_nat
Member since 2006 • 3130 Posts
Halo Wars is good and all but.. I donno.. Age of Empires 6.8.. thats sorta 6.5.