Halo: MCC testing M&KB support for consoles - PC losing another advantage?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45095 Posts

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/halo-mcc-is-testing-mouse-and-keyboard-support-for-consoles/1100-6487526/

Halo: The Master Chief Collection continues to get new content--both on consoles and PC--more than six years after its release, and that also applies to the "flighting" pre-release program that brings new features and updates to Halo Insider members before they go live in the public game. In the next flight, a number of big features are getting added, including mouse-and-keyboard support on console.

Yes, this would have seemed borderline sacrilegious in a Halo game just a few years ago, but times are changing. Around February 18, but possibly slightly later, the next public flight for Halo: The Master Chief Collection will add mouse-and-keyboard play on consoles. Other console-specific features include FOV slider support on Xbox One, as well as an unlocked FOV slider for Xbox Series X|S if you're running your devices at 120hz. This option was previously not available at this setting. Though 120hz displays are very common, they're only recently becoming more heavily used in gaming. You need HDMI 2.1 ports for that refresh rate to work with PS5 or Xbox Series X.

Wow, first consoles have closed the hardware advantage with their powerful specs and top of the line value, which dollar for dollar can't be beat. Now we're seeing mouse and keyboard support along with other PC centric settings coming to console. Thoughts, SW? Will you be using mouse and keyboard on console?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23906 Posts

Hasn't KB/M been a thing on consoles since at least gen 7? It just never truly takes off, because it isnt standradized.

DrSerigala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By DrSerigala
Member since 2018 • 208 Posts

Isnt that already a thing since last gen console?

PC advantage is not only M/KB, it is the ability to use any controller that suit your game, M/KB for first person game, Dualshock for fighting, Xbox controller for racing, etc

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44050 Posts

I suppose if us lems choose to use the ancient KB&M set-up perhaps our cousin herms may stand a chance at winning a match or two in the next few years. lol :P

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Yawn.

Too late to the party. Always has been a thing. Slow news day and not a good ammo against PC. Next.

EDIT: More links.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46247 Posts

Anyone else think it would be awesome to play Killzone trilogy with M/KB in 4K?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56080 Posts

KB/M for consoles has always been a thing since Xbox 360 era, its just you cannot use it to play games until both Xbox One/PS4 arrived and both had KB/M support for games. The problem however is that most console gamers don't want to use KB/M and if they really did, they would be gaming on PC anyway.

I gotta say SolidGame, you really are losing your jam😅

@jasonofa36 said:

Yawn.

Too late to the party. Always has been a thing. Slow news day and not a good ammo against PC. Next.

The fact SolidGame has a gaming PC, you would think he should know this by now.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I like how these things like kb/m, 60-120fps, ssds etc mean “PC is losing an advantage,” when they weren’t a big deal before your console had them. Either it wasn’t an advantage then or it’s not that big of a deal now. It can’t be both.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: You had me at 4k Killzone trilogy and then immediately lost me at m/kb.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@jasonofa36 said:

Yawn.

Lmao, 2020 is considered 'always been a thing'? Now that PS5 and XSX can achieve 120 fps, the console players are really closing in now.

@SecretPolice said:

I suppose if us lems choose to use the ancient KB&M set-up perhaps our cousin herms may stand a chance at winning a match or two in the next few years. lol :P

Herms were already afraid of losing to 12 years olds in COD. They must be terrified at the thought of them having KB&M support 🤣 Better get that aim bot ready, Herms!

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44050 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

Stir that pot mah friend...

lol ;)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46247 Posts

@vfighter said:

@R4gn4r0k: You had me at 4k Killzone trilogy and then immediately lost me at m/kb.

TBH I'd be fine with 4K/60. I threw in M/KB to make it relevant to the thread

Especially Killzone 3 looks good to this day.

Loading Video...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

Meh. I don’t really care all that much about this myself. The only time I want to use M&KB is it means that it’s the only way to get games like StarCraft II and World of WarCraft on console. Other then that I’d just rather stick with a controller.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

The problem with this argument is that consoles have been using mouse and keyboard off and on sporadically for generations. Unreal Tournament 3 on PS3 used it as an example. M&K players generally don't like controllers for ANY game. Many can't figure it out. It's not a big deal.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator

Even as a PC gamer, I still like using my Xbox Elite controller just about everything whenever I game on PC. It's just that I only use KB/M for FPS & RTS only genres. If I was still gaming on consoles, I wouldn't bother using KB/M anyway and I'm sure most console gamers feel that way. Really can't say PC lose the advantage.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13663 Posts

"PC losing another advantage?" That's desperate. Oh noes, console has keyboard and mouse control. Quick, throw your PCs out everyone.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JasonOfA36

@SolidGame_basic: Pffssshhhh...

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SolidGame_basic

@jasonofa36 said:

@SolidGame_basic: Pffssshhhh...

lol, consoles were weak sauce then. Today's console can compete with PC in most titles and now have the M&KB support to boot. But you Herms still have the hack advantage, I give you that lol.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JasonOfA36

@SolidGame_basic: LMFAO sure. Oh, wait, consoles don't have the 120hz-240hz advantage. Playing competitive shooters at 60 FPS is awful, especially if it's a twitch shooter.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JasonOfA36

@SolidGame_basic said:

lol, consoles were weak sauce then. Today's console can compete with PC in most titles and now have the M&KB support to boot. But you Herms still have the hack advantage, I give you that lol.

Loading Video...

Consoles don't need hacks because devs put it in the games themselves lmfao.

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

Lol what does KB/M have to do with pc losing an advantage? I guess input lag and response time will magically disappear when you hook a KB/M up to your console🤣🤣🤷🏾‍♂️

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@davillain- said:

Even as a PC gamer, I still like using my Xbox Elite controller just about everything whenever I game on PC. It's just that I only use KB/M for FPS & RTS only genres. If I was still gaming on consoles, I wouldn't bother using KB/M anyway and I'm sure most console gamers feel that way. Really can't say PC lose the advantage.

Really, I think PC needs to get away from the keyboard for a few reasons. The first is that it's not very intuitive, and not very good as a control interface in general. It's simply used because it's the least common denominator. It's expected that everyone with a PC has a keyboard. It's the same reason why few games on console will ever have support for a mouse, since it's expected everyone with a console has a controller. But keyboards have a lot of problems, and cause a lot of joint problems in the hands and wrist. You may feel the same way as I do about the KB/M in that I don't mind the mouse so much, but keyboards suck.

This is why for most first and third person titles where the mouse is used to control a camera, I use a controller and a mouse together. I have a PS3 Move Navigation controller I use in my left hand, and a mouse that I use in my right. I get the analog thumbstick movement of a controller combined with the precision of a mouse. You should give it a try. Unfortunately PS3 Move Navigation controllers are out of production, but a left joycon works about the same and there are ways to make them more comfortable (or more comfortable third party options.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

That's been a thing on consoles for a while.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Who would want to game clicking a mouse and using a keyboard 🤮🤮🤮

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Wow, first consoles have closed the hardware advantage

@SolidGame_basic said:

Thoughts, SW? Will you be using mouse and keyboard on console?

Consoles have allowed KB/M for a while now. The support has been poor, in terms of both game adoption and software utility programs so next to no on uses it.

LAtech84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LAtech84
Member since 2017 • 643 Posts

@zaryia: yes until the day comes that every game on console has 100% keyboard and mouse support the same as PC does now, playing most games on console is a big no no to me. Also there are tons of other things I like about PC gaming better than console gaming outside of this as well. Third the TC is such a Console fanboy it is beyond annoying.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8198 Posts

Im a big halo fanboy and even when playing Halo MCC on PC i prefer an xbox controller. It just doesn't feel right without it.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

Console gains feature decades after PC.

People on this forum:

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

M/kb has been ruining console gaming for some time now. All those scrubs using them since they can't win any other way... lol. The excuses are always the same. Using macros and fully modded out... yeah.. keep that crap out of console gaming. I don't have a problem with them in games they don't give a competitive edge, but any/all mods should be instant ban, no macros, and you have to do one of two things. Either cap the speed at which a mouse can move or uncap the speed in which a controller can move.

A good example of this is a game like Rocket League where someone on a m/kb can turn and move many times faster than someone on a controller. Keeping them together is only fine if you match the settings. I have absolutely no problem with cross console/platform. Instead they should just auto match controllers and m/kb to different rooms.

Only having the ability to play on one platform or playing on all is completely irrelevant when people would only not enable crossplay so they wouldn't need to deal with matching to those using m/kb. People saying the stats show people prefer crossplay aren't taking that into account. Just make crossplay standard and make matchmaking with similar devices standard.. it's simple to just widen the playing field and giving the option to matchmake with all devices or similar devices only. It's the difference between playing with a wooden bat and an aluminum bat and I enjoy the human error of playing on controllers.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

Lol this is some serious weak baiting... and yeah been available for ages aswell.. another fail thread by OP!

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Wow, first consoles have closed the hardware advantage with their powerful specs and top of the line value, which dollar for dollar can't be beat. Now we're seeing mouse and keyboard support along with other PC centric settings coming to console. Thoughts, SW? Will you be using mouse and keyboard on console?

Oxymoron!

steventant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By steventant
Member since 2021 • 2 Posts

Halo: MCC testing M&KB support for consoles - PC losing another advantage? ... Around February 18, but possibly slightly later, the next public flight for Halo: The Master Chief Collection will add mouse-and-keyboard play on consoles.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

"PC losing another advantage?"

That cracks me up every time.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

If MS does PROPER mkb support, they'll completely dominate but would need to make a deal with popular publishers of mmos and mobas. When this happens and Sony doesn't copy, Xbox will dominate the market.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Mouse and keyboard support is not new on consoles. Well, at least on PlayStation. Modern Warfare is one of those games with keyboard and mouse support on PlayStation.

Never noticed that kb/m “advantage” on Modern Warfare since people with keyboard and mouse get massacred by people with controllers.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Psh, even the SNES had mouse support.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DaVillain  Moderator

@eoten said:
@davillain- said:

Really, I think PC needs to get away from the keyboard for a few reasons. The first is that it's not very intuitive, and not very good as a control interface in general. It's simply used because it's the least common denominator. It's expected that everyone with a PC has a keyboard. It's the same reason why few games on console will ever have support for a mouse, since it's expected everyone with a console has a controller. But keyboards have a lot of problems, and cause a lot of joint problems in the hands and wrist. You may feel the same way as I do about the KB/M in that I don't mind the mouse so much, but keyboards suck.

This is why for most first and third person titles where the mouse is used to control a camera, I use a controller and a mouse together. I have a PS3 Move Navigation controller I use in my left hand, and a mouse that I use in my right. I get the analog thumbstick movement of a controller combined with the precision of a mouse. You should give it a try. Unfortunately PS3 Move Navigation controllers are out of production, but a left joycon works about the same and there are ways to make them more comfortable (or more comfortable third party options.

You do know that the purpose of owning a PC is for lots of options to play our games right? KB/M will always be the default for PC and for a good reason. Keyboard is use for mapping/keybending for movement. I can play few games in 3rd-person with KB/M, I just always prefer to use gamepad if all possible but Keyboard is also okay in certain game titles.

Sadly, I'll forever use Xbox gamepad as I been attach to it ever since MS arrive with Xbox and their controller is so damn good in the palm of my hands, its hard to change.