BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

And not just from the game, from Microsoft altogether.

https://kotaku.com/halo-infinite-creative-director-leaves-company-1837312778

Now, this doesn't have to be a bad thing, because this isn't unusual for creative directors to hop off projects. But, with the release of the game being a Scarlett crossplat launch title, that gives it a year and a few months to debut. Plus, we haven't seen footage of the game outside of an in-engine cinematic so far. Is this a "yikes" yet?

Production is still being overseen by studio head Chris Lee... for now. If there are production troubles behind the scenes, a delay could be bad for the launch of the new console... but that's just me.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin: this isn't good people like Kevin feigen helped build the MCU over a long period of time. It's only good if the game sucks and there getting rid of him cause of that.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

Just like it didn't matter when several Sony folks jumped to Initiative this also doesn't matter. Well, unless you are fanboy. :)

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BenjaminBanklin

@Pedro said:

Just like it didn't matter when several Sony folks jumped to Initiative this also doesn't matter. Well, unless you are fanboy. :)

Creative director is a key position though. This isn't an art guy or an HR person.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

That's unfortunate but there are so many people involved with making a game this big, it probably won't effect production too much. Will save predictions of doom and gloom for news of the 3rd or 4th higher up stepping out.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@Pedro said:

Nailed it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Can’t say that something like this makes me worried about the game at all.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pedro

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Creative director is a key position though. This isn't an art guy or an HR person.

Still doesn't change anything. You and the rest of oddballs need to understand that games are not made by one person. The design and plans are not trashed because of someone leaving even if its the director.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BenjaminBanklin

@Pedro said:

Still doesn't change anything. You and the rest of oddballs need to understand that games are not made by one person. The design and plans are not trashed because of someone leaving even if its the director.

If a key creative management person leaves before the game is finished and it's not a sign of a bigger issue, then who WOULD have to leave before giving off red flags?

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Hmm? What does this mean? Since lems are getting riled up, maybe a few more devs leaving will tell how the will do. Remember, a lot of bioware devs left when creating Mass Effect Adromeda and that game turned out to be shit.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Halo Infite is DOA.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@Pedro said:

Amy Hennig left in the middle of UC4. Bruce Straley left after UC4 while LL was under development. Cory Barlog left during TR2013 and Mad Max.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pedro

@BenjaminBanklin said:

If a key creative management person leaves before the game is finished and it's not a sign of a bigger issue, then who WOULD have to leave before giving off red flags?

"this isn't unusual for creative directors to hop off projects"

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BenjaminBanklin

@Pedro said:

"this isn't unusual for creative directors to hop off projects"

"Not unusual" doesn't mean "common". Some high profile projects saw leads leave and turn out for the worse as well. Bioware has a big issue with that.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pedro

@BenjaminBanklin said:

"Not unusual" doesn't mean "common". Some high profile projects saw leads leave and turn out for the worse as well. Bioware has a big issue with that.

@pc_rocks said:

Amy Hennig left in the middle of UC4. Bruce Straley left after UC4 while LL was under development. Cory Barlog left during TR2013 and Mad Max.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts
@Archangel3371 said:

After halo 5 im very worried about the campaign all they showed is a cgi trailer at e3 no gameplay showing what its gonna be like even.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

@ProtossRushX: I’m not worried myself.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#18 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Now, this doesn't have to be a bad thing, because this isn't unusual for creative directors to hop off projects. But, with the release of the game being a Scarlett crossplat launch title, that gives it a year and a few months to debut. Plus, we haven't seen footage of the game outside of an in-engine cinematic so far. Is this a "yikes" yet?

Production is still being overseen by studio head Chris Lee... for now. If there are production troubles behind the scenes, a delay could be bad for the launch of the new console... but that's just me.

Your wording there is awesome levels of incitement.

Production is still being overseen by studio head Chris Lee... for now.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:
@Archangel3371 said:

After halo 5 im very worried about the campaign all they showed is a cgi trailer at e3 no gameplay showing what its gonna be like even.

Halo Infinite is only 1 year away, so I’m pretty sure that the campaign is already mostly decided on how it’ll play out. What isn’t done yet Mary Olson will likely do well with completing.

@watercrack445 said:

Hmm? What does this mean? Since lems are getting riled up, maybe a few more devs leaving will tell how the will do. Remember, a lot of bioware devs left when creating Mass Effect Adromeda and that game turned out to be shit.

This also happened to Anthem as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@Pedro said:

Link <--- Creative Director left Cyberpunk to join Blizzard? And this was before the release date was even announced...lmao.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

I guess it's safe to say that this game is going to flop really hard and might become the next fail known as destiny.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#22 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@daredevils2k said:

I guess it's safe to say that this game is going to flop really hard and might become the next fail known as destiny.

LOL I know. With the pedigree he had of Halo 5 that all of u shit on it only makes sense he took all hope with him LOL

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@watercrack445: Uh....which lems are getting "riled up", and what does "devs leaving will tell how the will do." mean?

Answers on a postage stamp please.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

@sealionact: Well, I would need your address first.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

More Fear mongering from the Xbox haters. Yawn

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@xhawk27: well Xbox sucks so.... it’s more like pointing and laughing

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xhawk27

@pdogg93 said:

@xhawk27: well Xbox sucks so.... it’s more like pointing and laughing

Gears 5 getting no less than a mid 80's in a few weeks. Halo Infinite will get no less than a low 90's and be one of the Best Halo games ever. I will be pointing and laughing at you X haters.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@watercrack445 said:

Cows making shit up again is what most of us see here.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

What's halo?

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BenjaminBanklin

@xhawk27 said:

Gears 5 getting no less than a mid 80's in a few weeks. Halo Infinite will get no less than a low 90's and be one of the Best Halo games ever. I will be pointing and laughing at you X haters.

Ahhhh, no. No 343-developed Halo game has done this, and I see no reason why this would change.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xhawk27

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@xhawk27 said:

Ahhhh, no. No 343-developed Halo game has done this, and I see no reason why this would change.

Yeah you don't ever see a MS studio getting better but Sony studios like Sony bend can right?

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BenjaminBanklin
@xhawk27 said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Yeah you don't ever see a MS studio getting better but Sony studios like Sony bend can right?

I didn't know Sony Bend was working on Halo. ? You need to stop salt-posting because it makes you post really sad nonsense.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

I would jump ship to if i knew a game i worked hard on for years/months is going to a 99 cent rental service (xbox gamepass)..

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

Upwardly mobile man finds new job. To Sony Fan this is beyond their understanding.

Anyway can’t wait for Halo.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BenjaminBanklin

@FinalFighters said:

I would jump ship to if i knew a game i worked hard on for years/months is going to a 99 cent rental service (xbox gamepass)..

Dude. I literally just got a month of Game Pass for free. Can MS do a whole gen of this? This can't be sustainable for the long term. Even the Netflix bubble is starting to pop.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Maybe he didn't agree with the new Halo being riddled with microtransactions in which case fair play to him.

Unless it isn't, in which case unfair play to me for terrible conspiracy theories.

Only time will tell what is fair and what is not.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
@Pedro said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

@pc_rocks said:

Amy Hennig leaving translated into her version of UC4 being scrapped, and them redoing the games entire structure, plot, etc.

Straley was never going to direct Lost Legacy, it was a different team entirely, would imagine he was going to produce, not direct like he did with 4. Barlog was only directing the cutscenes in TR13, and was mainly directing a side project that got canned. And he been left Avalanche while that game was in early development.

Halo 6 by all accounts is supposed to be a next year game, and for all intents and purposes 343 hasn't had the smoothest dev times on Halo 4 or 5 for a variety of reasons. This isn't as big a deal, because 343's structure is in place with the producers they have to make sure they can plug in senior directors in n out if need be, but games benefit from having a more personalized stamp on the project.

Tho in Longo's case, I'd argue it might be a net positive. Dude's career is directing republic commando (not all that good of a game) and Halo 5's campaign, which hey, someone had to be the worst Halo campaign.

But the whole death of the author movement n "team" thing, ignores some valued leadership.

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts

He's brushing up his resume and applying to Sony tomorrow

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@Pedro said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

@pc_rocks said:

Amy Hennig leaving translated into her version of UC4 being scrapped, and them redoing the games entire structure, plot, etc.

Straley was never going to direct Lost Legacy, it was a different team entirely, would imagine he was going to produce, not direct like he did with 4. Barlog was only directing the cutscenes in TR13, and was mainly directing a side project that got canned. And he been left Avalanche while that game was in early development.

Halo 6 by all accounts is supposed to be a next year game, and for all intents and purposes 343 hasn't had the smoothest dev times on Halo 4 or 5 for a variety of reasons. This isn't as big a deal, because 343's structure is in place with the producers they have to make sure they can plug in senior directors in n out if need be, but games benefit from having a more personalized stamp on the project.

Tho in Longo's case, I'd argue it might be a net positive. Dude's career is directing republic commando (not all that good of a game) and Halo 5's campaign, which hey, someone had to be the worst Halo campaign.

But the whole death of the author movement n "team" thing, ignores some valued leadership.

The examples of Amy, Straley and Barlog was to illustrate that the games did turn out to be 'fine', no matter what was done to keep the projects on track. Leaving a director doesn't mean the project is in trouble. Projects can be in trouble even when no one leaves and him being a director, I'm pretty sure he had a long notice period to smooth out the transition. It isn't like he just left spontaneously.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 xhawk27

Look at all the Xbox haters hoping and prying that Halo Infinite flops. Bunch of Pathetic losers. Halo Infinite will be Epic and most likely be one of the best Halo games ever made. I think it has a chance of being better than GOW or Spiderman.

Avatar image for deactivated-63181ff40994a
deactivated-63181ff40994a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-63181ff40994a
Member since 2017 • 575 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

Halo Infite is DOA.

Nah.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BenjaminBanklin

@xhawk27 said:

Look at all the Xbox haters hoping and prying that Halo Infinite flops. Bunch of Pathetic losers. Halo Infinite will be Epic and most likely be one of the best Halo games ever made. I think it has a chance of being better than GOW or Spiderman.

Are you like a parody of an Xbox fan? I can't tell with you some days.

Avatar image for deactivated-63181ff40994a
deactivated-63181ff40994a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-63181ff40994a
Member since 2017 • 575 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

I don't think Halo can regain that level of excellence it once had, it's all been done before...expecially concerning First person shooters. That being said it still will be good no doubt.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Not worried. Happens all of the time. I mean, if cows "aren't worried" about Sony devs leaving on their big games then I, nor anyone has anything to worry about,