Halo 1 to Halo 3 graphical comparision. *56k warning*

• 164 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Innovazero2000
Member since 2006 • 3159 Posts

Just thought I'd throw out for the people say that Halo 3 looks no better then the others, and clearly don't know what they are talking about.

Halo 1

Halo 2

Halo 3

Halo 1

Halo 2

Halo 3

Halo 1

Halo 2

Halo 3

Halo 1

Halo 2

Halo 3

Now, there is a CLEAR difference...since some of the fanboys say otherwise.

The Draw distance, the massive A.I count, Paralax mapping, Volumetric effects, increased geometry, increased texture resolution, HDR/Global Illumination, self shadowing, the physics engine. This game technically is worlds above the previous two games.

And if you understood any of what I just said, you would understand.... The only downfall is the games resolution.

DaysAirlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DaysAirlines
Member since 2006 • 9537 Posts
 Awesome thread.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

Man, Halo 2 looks really good. Always impresses me.

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts
old. ;)
Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shazenab
Member since 2004 • 3413 Posts

I dont think the problem is the jump from halo for a lot of people (since halo 2 hardly set graphical bench marks), but its graphics in compaison to bioshock and GeoW, the latter being a year old and probably in developmnt for a much shorter amount of time.

Saying that I like the Halo 3 engine. It has great lighting and most importantatly for an fps is very stable.

Gator08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gator08
Member since 2006 • 1459 Posts
yes, everyone who owns halo 3 knows that its graphics arent bad, they are great. Man the water in this game is much better than bioshock.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Nice post ! :)

I think the comparison not only shows how good 3 looks but also shows how good 1 looked for a game released in 2001.

buuzer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 buuzer0
Member since 2005 • 3792 Posts
Found on G4.... wasn't this a feature on Gamespot???? :|
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

The evolution is stunning.

buuzer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 buuzer0

WTF.... this is from Gamespot itself.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6179901/index.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newsfeatures&tag=newsfeatures;title;3

:lol:

Eurobacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Eurobacca
Member since 2007 • 619 Posts
Wow, great graphical comparison
proof11102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 proof11102
Member since 2007 • 1080 Posts

Seen that already.

if anyhing I think it shows that Halo 1 really had good graphics compaired to the second one (apart from the cut sceens that is where Bungie buffed up the graphics on Halo 2..causeing pop-up city).

On a presonal note, I always thought Halo 1 had better graphics than Halo 2 because it played alot more clean and consistant then Halo 2. Halo 2 just wasn't optimized enough or the engine was trying to push the xbox to do more than it could handle and caused the game graphics to run very inconsistant and poopy.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
considering how much more powerful the 360 is to the xbox... the diffrence isn't that great.
GundamGuy0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GundamGuy0
Member since 2003 • 10970 Posts

[QUOTE="Silenthps"]considering how much more powerful the 360 is to the xbox... the diffrence isn't that great.TheJuiceyBar
Just like considering how much powerful the wii is to the gamecube but the difference isnt that great, its worse, wait who am i kidding the wii is an overclocked gamecube :lol:

Someone should do an Evolution of SM!

Super Mario Sunshine to SMG is a huge leap.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Silenthps
[QUOTE="Silenthps"]considering how much more powerful the 360 is to the xbox... the diffrence isn't that great.TheJuiceyBar
Just like considering how much powerful the wii is to the gamecube but the difference isnt that great, its worse, wait who am i kidding the wii is an overclocked gamecube :lol:

and your point is?
Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Innovazero2000

considering how much more powerful the 360 is to the xbox... the diffrence isn't that great.Silenthps

Read the bottom of my post, it's technically WAY beyond anything the xbox could ever do. I think the 1st set, and the 3rd set show exactly what im talking about.

and my bad to the people, tihs was an older gamespot comparision. Ijust found the pictures in a G4 forum and completely forget.

I'm just tired of people saying Halo 3 looks the previous halos when it absolutly crushes them. You can't argue withit on a technical level of which I explained is going on behind the scene.

TheJuiceyBar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheJuiceyBar
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts

[QUOTE="TheJuiceyBar"][QUOTE="Silenthps"]considering how much more powerful the 360 is to the xbox... the diffrence isn't that great.GundamGuy0

And Halo2 to Halo3 is a huge leap but the blind sheep cant tell the difference, maybe too maybe jaggles on the wii messed up his eye sight.
GundamGuy0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GundamGuy0
Member since 2003 • 10970 Posts
[QUOTE="GundamGuy0"]

[QUOTE="TheJuiceyBar"][QUOTE="Silenthps"]considering how much more powerful the 360 is to the xbox... the diffrence isn't that great.TheJuiceyBar

And Halo2 to Halo3 is a huge leap but the blind sheep cant tell the difference, maybe too maybe jaggles on the wii messed up his eye sight.

It's been mostly cows that have been damage controlling Halo 3's graphics...

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Silenthps

[QUOTE="Silenthps"]considering how much more powerful the 360 is to the xbox... the diffrence isn't that great.Innovazero2000

Read the bottom of my post, it's technically WAY beyond anything the xbox could ever do. I think the 1st set, and the 3rd set show exactly what im talking about.

and my bad to the people, tihs was an older gamespot comparision. Ijust found the pictures in a G4 forum and completely forget.

I'm just tired of people saying Halo 3 looks the previous halos when it absolutly crushes them. You can't argue withit on a technical level of which I explained is going on behind the scene.

Well of course its alot better techinically. but it just doesnt look that much better.
Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Silenthps
[QUOTE="GundamGuy0"]

[QUOTE="TheJuiceyBar"][QUOTE="Silenthps"]considering how much more powerful the 360 is to the xbox... the diffrence isn't that great.TheJuiceyBar

this would be true, IF i was a sheep.
pcmxms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pcmxms
Member since 2003 • 1596 Posts

Yeah, the graphics are better. But how about the game as a whole?

*takes a flameshild*

proof11102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 proof11102
Member since 2007 • 1080 Posts

[QUOTE="Silenthps"]considering how much more powerful the 360 is to the xbox... the diffrence isn't that great.Innovazero2000

I think it's xbox fanboys own fault. When they call PS3 games like Killzone 2 unimpressive, what do you expect to happen when games withgraphics like that of Halo 3 come out on 360 and they think everyone is supposed to be impressed?

Arnalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Arnalion
Member since 2006 • 3316 Posts
Ofcourse the graphics is better but in my opinion isn't the leap so huge.
The graphics is in my opinion avarage wich is sad because the game was under development for 3 years. Since the game can be finished in 6 hours on normal difficulty am I wondering where they put all effort...
Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Innovazero2000
[QUOTE="Innovazero2000"]

[QUOTE="Silenthps"]considering how much more powerful the 360 is to the xbox... the diffrence isn't that great.proof11102

I think it's xbox fanboys own fault. When they call PS3 games like Killzone 2 unimpressive, what do you expect to happen when games with graphics like that of Halo 3 come out on 360 and they think everyone is supposed to be impressed?

I couldn't agree more...and I think Killzone 2 is impressive and looks better then Halo 3 no doubt, even given Halo 3's massive scale.

That being said I think Halo 3's lighting system is some of the most impressive in a game yet. Better htne KZ's as well. Halo 3's lighting is completely dynamic, and the HDR is some of the best I've seen yet.

As said, true raytracing global illumination is not possible on any machine right now, but what bungie have pulled off to mimmik it, is nothing short of breathtakingly amazing.

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts

gs dodne this a while ago..

i dont think ther is that much of a leap from 2-3 but definaltly from 1-3..

what you cant see in those pics is the way the lighting works and casts from the enemy weapons and so on which is really good plus the fps is really solid through out...its still a great looking game..

Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Innovazero2000

Ofcourse the graphics is better but in my opinion isn't the leap so huge.
Arnalion

I guess I would agree, the average gamer would only think it looks ok. I guess because I know all the crap thats going on behind it, I find it impressive.

Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts

*takes a flameshild*

pcmxms

/takes flameshield away

You don't need a flameshield for that comment man, its common sense, halo 3 is better then both 1 & 2, hackers an glitchers will tell you otherwise with respect to the multiplayer aspect cause its balanced now but other then that halo 3 is a great game just like 1 & 2 and adds a lot of reply value with forge, theater and insane 4player co-op.

HermitCommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HermitCommando
Member since 2007 • 178 Posts
 Awesome thread.DaysAirlines
rofl, awesome picture.
zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#31 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts
The screenshots do show a clear progression in graphics quality. Halo 3 does look stunning but I would have like to have seen more.
Arnalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Arnalion
Member since 2006 • 3316 Posts

[QUOTE="Arnalion"]Ofcourse the graphics is better but in my opinion isn't the leap so huge.
Innovazero2000

I guess I would agree, the average gamer would only think it looks ok. I guess because I know all the crap thats going on behind it, I find it impressive.

Hehe I'm no avarage gamer. It's the result that counts, which techniques Bungie used is irrelevant.
It doesn't impress me from a technical standpoint anyway.

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts

gamespot allready did this themselves.

Anyway.. only blind people or fanboys can't tell the big upgrade.

The jaggies ingame make it slightly less appealing though. These save screen shot are post processed with some Anti aliassing...

pcmxms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pcmxms
[QUOTE="pcmxms"]

*takes a flameshild*

Zenkuso

/takes flameshield away

You don't need a flameshield for that comment man, its common sense, halo 3 is better then both 1 & 2, hackers an glitchers will tell you otherwise with respect to the multiplayer aspect cause its balanced now but other then that halo 3 is a great game just like 1 & 2 and adds a lot of reply value with forge, theater and insane 4player co-op.

And what about the single player? Is it any good?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
And what about the single player? Is it any good?
pcmxms
Definitely. Quite fun. Coop campaign is way too fun.
pcmxms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 pcmxms

[QUOTE="pcmxms"]And what about the single player? Is it any good?
Jandurin
Definitely. Quite fun. Coop campaign is way too fun.

Thanks. :)

I realy hated Halo 1, but I think I might give this one a try. Too bad I don't have any xbox 360 to try it out.

Avatar image for Bluestorm-Kalas
Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bluestorm-Kalas
Member since 2006 • 13073 Posts
considering how much more powerful the 360 is to the xbox... the diffrence isn't that great.Silenthps
Your sig is so off, being that this is GAMESPOT we go by GAMESPOT scores, and Zelda: TP and Metroid Prime 3 DID NOT get AAA, so you're making yourself look like an idiot saying it did, if you use Gameranking scores here, YOU should be ignored, and your logic, pathetically, is worse than System Wars logic.
alberth123123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 alberth123123
Member since 2005 • 787 Posts
[QUOTE="proof11102"][QUOTE="Innovazero2000"]

I think it's xbox fanboys own fault. When they call PS3 games like Killzone 2 unimpressive, what do you expect to happen when games with graphics like that of Halo 3 come out on 360 and they think everyone is supposed to be impressed?

I couldn't agree more...and I think Killzone 2 is impressive and looks better then Halo 3 no doubt, even given Halo 3's massive scale.

That being said I think Halo 3's lighting system is some of the most impressive in a game yet. Better htne KZ's as well. Halo 3's lighting is completely dynamic, and the HDR is some of the best I've seen yet.

As said, true raytracing global illumination is not possible on any machine right now, but what bungie have pulled off to mimmik it, is nothing short of breathtakingly amazing.

True that.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
Thats nice and all, but how does it compare to new games?
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Many times, people foget that 1 had no online - 2 had online but no online co-op - 3 has 4 player co-op and other cool options.

Had MS/Bungie wanted to make a graphics powerhouse they sure could have and left out all the other sweet stuff.

I for one am very happy they didn't !

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6179901/index.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newsfeatures&tag=newsfeatures;title;3

buuzer0

I think we all relise this he just simply just posted it. :|

Supafly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Supafly1
Member since 2003 • 4441 Posts

old. ;)l-_-l

Your post=old.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts
[QUOTE="Innovazero2000"]

[QUOTE="Silenthps"]considering how much more powerful the 360 is to the xbox... the diffrence isn't that great.Silenthps

Well of course its alot better techinically. but it just doesnt look that much better.

Well to be honest with you after reading your sig 90-95% of the people in this forum will completely ignore that sig. Just for future reference.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts

Many times, people foget that 1 had no online - 2 had online but no online co-op - 3 has 4 player co-op and other cool options.

Had MS/Bungie wanted to make a graphics powerhouse they sure could have and left out all the other sweet stuff.

I for one am very happy they didn't !

SecretPolice
They could have made it look better, they just set their release date too early to avoid competition.
spidey008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#45 spidey008
Member since 2002 • 2309 Posts

yes, everyone who owns halo 3 knows that its graphics arent bad, they are great. Man the water in this game is much better than bioshock.Gator08

I don't know about the water effect being better than Bioshock. Bioshock had some pretty amazing water effects.

wergfwefwef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46 wergfwefwef
Member since 2007 • 386 Posts
wow, 6 years of evolution and we get THAT MUCH of a change? unimpressive.....
buuzer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 buuzer0
[QUOTE="buuzer0"]

xscrapzx

I think we all relise this he just simply just posted it. :|

When he originally posted this, he got it from the G4 forum and didn't know about the Gamespot feature :|

Innovazero2000

bad82man82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bad82man82
Member since 2006 • 1059 Posts

Everybody knows that a next-gen Halo will be much better graphically, but it didn't impress alot of people, I thought I will see something better than Bioshock or gears, but I didn't, for gameplay, I didn't play the game to judge, but from the media, I think I will be dissapointed too, maybe the most exciting feature in the game is 4 co-op offline/online.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Silenthps
[QUOTE="Silenthps"]considering how much more powerful the 360 is to the xbox... the diffrence isn't that great.Bluestorm-Kalas
Your sig is so off, being that this is GAMESPOT we go by GAMESPOT scores, and Zelda: TP and Metroid Prime 3 DID NOT get AAA, so you're making yourself look like an idiot saying it did, if you use Gameranking scores here, YOU should be ignored, and your logic, pathetically, is worse than System Wars logic.

sry i live in the real world not in your little sw bubble.
Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Silenthps
[QUOTE="Silenthps"][QUOTE="Innovazero2000"]

[QUOTE="Silenthps"]considering how much more powerful the 360 is to the xbox... the diffrence isn't that great.xscrapzx

Well to be honest with you after reading your sig 90-95% of the people in this forum will completely ignore that sig. Just for future reference.

Well to be honest, people who aren't willing to debate using logic, aren't worth my time anywayz.