Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#301 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 12596 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Hesitant to even call this an FPS.

I told you its not FPS. and lol at comparing it to Half life 2.

its not even a shadow of Half life 2. dumbed down for VR. waste of time.

Half life 2 still masterpeice.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#302  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 38474 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Better than Halflife 2 in multiple respects.

Where Halflife 2 wins is the sense of scale in the context of the player impacting the gameworld along with variation in environments, which comparatively Alyx lacks.

Many sections of Alyx evoke both Halflife 1 and 2 while tying them better together.

Some sections are straight up homages to Halflife or tweaks versions game sections, such as Blast Pit, Sandtraps and a very obvious reference to that part everyone loved, which had the best platforming ever.

Magnum3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#303 Magnum3000
Member since 2020 • 91 Posts

Missed this gem, don'tve a VR headset. Happy Alyx getting critical acclaim.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 797 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@fedor said:

@ghosts4ever: It really burns you up that you can't play this.

I want to play as gordon freeman. not shitty side character alyx.

Alyx is love my friend. Always wanted to play as Mrs Vance.

Magnum3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#305 Magnum3000
Member since 2020 • 91 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Better than Halflife 2 in multiple respects.

Where Halflife 2 wins is the sense of scale in the context of the player impacting the gameworld along with variation in environments, which comparatively Alyx lacks.

Many sections of Alyx evoke both Halflife 1 and 2 while tying them better together.

Some sections are straight up homages to Halflife or tweaks versions game sections, such as Blast Pit, Sandtraps and a very obvious reference to that part everyone hated, which had the best platforming ever.

Any going back to Ravenholm?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306 uninspiredcup  Online

@magnum3000: Nope, but it has several set-pieces that are arguably better. Compared to HL2 where it sprinkling in horror themed sections, most of the game is that, pretty much. Resident Evil is a very apt comparison to make. Health system, pacing, upgrade system, scavenging etc...

What it lacks, which pretty much all Resident Evil games have is a NG+ where difficult ramps up and the player is allowed to use their partially or fully upgraded weapons.

Hopefully Valve will read this very relevant and important post on a very active forum and immediately patch it in.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 6940 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I genuinely believe you and people here like you really don't know the meaning of the terms and words you use.

Having less combat or slowing the pace is not what dumbed down means.

FPS games in standard 2D is dumbed down since a FPS is simulated the first person perspective of using a gun to shoot... In VR you aim and shoot and reload as you would in real life.

Pavlov VR playing against other people... So you can't say bad AI, you have to lean physically to see around corners pull the gun to eye level to aim and shoot and physical go through the actions not knowing where that person is moving towards or how many bullets he has only to peak out again by leaning and aiming your gun.

FPS games are so simplified in games like Doom its the entire reason you can double jump while reloading and then shooting someone with a shotgun in slow mo... 8 year olds can do it. Its not complex. My nephew who play's Fortnite and every FPS that comes out who is 13 years old doesn't miss a beat in standard FPS games... In VR?... Struggles to reload in time because he is panicking about the people around him he can't see because hes looking down at the gun while reloading.

Dumbed down. Stahp.

Clealry you have never played any modern VR game or let alone a FPS, and its obvious you want to otherwise you wouldn't spend so much of your time talking about them.

VR FPS is the best form of FPS full stop, the games are playing catch up in content and quality but in terms of interactions nothing comes close.

Avatar image for pinkribbonscars
PinkRibbonScars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#308 PinkRibbonScars  Online
Member since 2019 • 575 Posts

This f***ing area...

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#309 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 23761 Posts
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

FPS games in standard 2D is dumbed down since a FPS is simulated the first person perspective of using a gun to shoot... In VR you aim and shoot and reload as you would in real life.

So? Who says gamers want to actually do that, rather than use the abstraction of a controller or kb/m? This is the Wii waggle debate all over again, with some gamers thinking that physically acting out a motion is obviously superior. Great for you, but don't assume every gamer will think or want that. Light guns never moved beyond a small niche for instance, despite offering a much closer simulation of shooting and reloading compared to a pad or kb/m.

You can't just assume the goal of all games and gamers is an ever more accurate simulation of physical reality in a virtual space. It's simply not true, even if you say "full stop" ;)

Subspecies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310 Subspecies
Member since 2018 • 1489 Posts

Less enemies is fine as long as the gameplay is tense and tactical. Also, that AI better be damn good.

PinkRibbonScars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311  Edited By PinkRibbonScars  Online

Alyx is the literal opposite of Boneworks.

Boneworks - Mediocre game, amazing VR gameplay

Alyx - Amazing game, mediocre VR gameplay

As I predicted, aiming for comfort really holds Alyx back

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#312 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 19734 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@magnum3000: Nope, but it has several set-pieces that are arguably better. Compared to HL2 where it sprinkling in horror themed sections, most of the game is that, pretty much. Resident Evil is a very apt comparison to make. Health system, pacing, upgrade system, scavenging etc...

What it lacks, which pretty much all Resident Evil games have is a NG+ where difficult ramps up and the player is allowed to use their partially or fully upgraded weapons.

Hopefully Valve will read this very relevant and important post on a very active forum and immediately patch it in.

Yeah, I'm on Chapter 3 but so far it's like the whole game is "Ravenholm", only in VR in case Ravenholm wasn't stressful enough on its own. Running around in the dark with a flashlight and low ammo listening to headcrabs running around behind me. Fun stuff.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
@pinkribbonscars said:

Alyx is the literal opposite of Boneworks.

Boneworks - Mediocre game, amazing VR gameplay

Alyx - Amazing game, mediocre VR gameplay

As I predicted, aiming for comfort really holds Alyx back

I think as an entry point, this along with Superhot are probably the best jump in points, but yes, definitely could have pushed it. The upside is that is has far less jank, aside from a single time of an item being stuck, my 15-20 others were smooth.

If had complaints, aside from technical stuff like a lack of height option, it wouldn't so much be the VR, but parts of the game that feel too "gamey".

Like there is a part in the game where three ant-loins, perfectly lined up in windows act as grenades, or the ending of the game (which obv won't spoil), there is something that happens that is logical and established before, but then all of a sudden all these items are on the wall for no other reason than for the player to use them, so fucking out of place.

It could have done with more combine fights as well, as well as (as per tradition) of having 3 way fights. Some of the action-set pieces feel very artificial compared to previous Halflife games, while others are inspired by, and better.

I know some people have been bitching about the puzzles, but had no problem with them. 2-3 tries in some cases, but it was like 1 minute tops. Generally found the wall tracking one to be quite fun, the ball, not so much.

-

The art-direction is head-exploding stuff, can see those Valve-bucks in action. Get games like Call Of Duty and what not trying to wow the player with everything dialed to 11, but Valve knows to use it in moderation to make moments jaw-dropping.

PinkRibbonScars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314 PinkRibbonScars  Online

I just met Jeff... hoo boy

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 6940 Posts

@locopatho said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

So? Who says gamers want to actually do that, rather than use the abstraction of a controller or kb/m? This is the Wii waggle debate all over again, with some gamers thinking that physically acting out a motion is obviously superior. Great for you, but don't assume every gamer will think or want that. Light guns never moved beyond a small niche for instance, despite offering a much closer simulation of shooting and reloading compared to a pad or kb/m.

You can't just assume the goal of all games and gamers is an ever more accurate simulation of physical reality in a virtual space. It's simply not true, even if you say "full stop" ;)

This has nothing to do with opinion here.

He was claiming that FPS in vr is dumbed down when clearly the mechanics and level of involvement in VR is drastically more complex that 2D FPS.

How hard is it for people to separate opinion here from facts?... I swear, gamer's are the most deluded individuals on this planet.

You can not enjoy or care about a genre or platform, its your opinion that its not fun. I have no problem with that, I hate turn based games, doesn't mean they are bad games... That's a technical thing that is measured, performance/content and the comparison of other games in its genre determine it being bad.

VR FPS is full stop more difficult than standard 2D FPS games by the nature of physical going through the actions which is the whole point of my comment that is based on his hate towards something he has never used on a game he has never played.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317 uninspiredcup  Online

PinkRibbonScars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318 PinkRibbonScars  Online

Just finished it. Holy s--- at the ending... Still not sure what to think of the retcon, but atleast it makes sense. The tone shift midway through chapter 9 was legendary, and then the final twist at the end. God damn

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319 Ghosts4ever

@pinkribbonscars said:

the final twist at the end. God damn

the only good thing in this game.

Gordon Freeman having crowbar

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@pinkribbonscars said:

Just finished it. Holy s--- at the ending... Still not sure what to think of the retcon, but atleast it makes sense. The tone shift midway through chapter 9 was legendary, and then the final twist at the end. God damn

It's interesting, because if you think about it, it's very obvious. The Vortigaunts being used to power it, also stopped his interference in Episode 1.

Even just the sequence leading up to it with that beautiful music score, that entire level is experiencing the character without actually telling us fuckall about him, it's magnificent.

-

Changed my mind somewhat about the music score as, much like Halflife 2 it's used sparingly, but it punctuates far more partially because of the games willingness to hold back.

Loading Video...

PinkRibbonScars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321 PinkRibbonScars  Online

@uninspiredcup said:
@pinkribbonscars said:

It's interesting, because if you think about it, it's very obvious. The Vortigaunts being used to power it, also stopped his interference in Episode 1.

Even just the sequence leading up to it with that beautiful music score, that entire level is experiencing the character without actually telling us fuckall about him, it's magnificent.

-

Changed my mind somewhat about the music score as, much like Halflife 2 it's used sparingly, but it punctuates far more partially because of the games willingness to hold back.

Loading Video...

That entire sequence was beyond beautiful in VR

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

It's basically those evil Quantum Leapers, where it's Satan instead of Gawd directing them.

Also very strong Ghost Of Christmas Future vibes

PinkRibbonScars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323 PinkRibbonScars  Online

@ghosts4ever said:
@pinkribbonscars said:

the final twist at the end. God damn

the only good thing in this game.

Gordon Freeman having crowbar

It's really sad that you spoiled the ending for yourself without experiencing the rest of the game and the build up to it

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

It was great Tony Todd voice the Vortigaunt, perfect choice if ever there was one.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325 uninspiredcup  Online

Here's a bunch of easter-eggs (spoilers I guess).

Loading Video...

Funny, didn't notice the cat to trigger it, but found this on the wall.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#326  Edited By dzimm
Member since 2006 • 5753 Posts

By the way, Half-Life: Alyx apparently plays just fine without VR using a mouse and keyboard.

Sorry if you wasted your money on a headset.

https://wccftech.com/half-life-alyx-without-vr/

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@dzimm said:

By the way, Half-Life: Alyx apparently plays just fine without VR using a mouse and keyboard.

If you think VR design and flatscreen design is the same, you really have no idea lol

Loading Video...

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
GoldenElementXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328 GoldenElementXL
Member since 2016 • 4046 Posts

@dzimm: “Just fine”

The scale and immersion cannot be overstated. So much of the design of the game will be ruined by a monitor and m/kB. Hell, the GiantBomb staff has been playing in VR but seated with a controller because none of them have enough space for room scale VR. They acknowledge their experience isn’t what those are having with room scale available to them.

PinkRibbonScars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329  Edited By PinkRibbonScars  Online

@dzimm said:

Playing Alyx in pancake mode would literally lose 99% of what makes it so amazing. Imagine the Northern Star Hotel chapter, or meeting Jeff in 2D... I don't care if you're poor, you can still save up even if it takes to the end of the year. Just experience the game in VR. Don't ruin it by playing it in pancake.

PinkRibbonScars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330  Edited By PinkRibbonScars  Online

@uninspiredcup said:

Here's a bunch of easter-eggs (spoilers I guess).

Funny, didn't notice the cat to trigger it, but found this on the wall.

Did you find the picture of Dog in Alyx's room at the beginning?

Also

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331 dzimm

@uninspiredcup said:
@dzimm said:

If you think VR design and flatscreen design is the same, you really have no idea lol

Loading Video...

Yeah, I watched that video already. Dude is a blatant VR apologist.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332 dzimm
@pinkribbonscars said:
@dzimm said:

Playing Alyx in pancake mode would literally lose 99% of what makes it so amazing.

Interesting. Is the gameplay really that bad?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333 uninspiredcup  Online

Yea, it's a 2 hour gimmick tech demo, as factually proven by the barrage of VR experts who don't use VR.

Flopping hard as we speak.

PinkRibbonScars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334 PinkRibbonScars  Online

@dzimm said:
@pinkribbonscars said:
@dzimm said:

Playing Alyx in pancake mode would literally lose 99% of what makes it so amazing.

You pancake peasants are literally beginning to sound like console peasants when Crysis released

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335 Ghosts4ever

@dzimm said:
@pinkribbonscars said:
@dzimm said:

of course game is bad. its just VR gimmick that make it feel good. after modded into non VR. game would feel dumbed down version of Half life 2.

com2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336 com2006
Member since 2006 • 685 Posts

Playing Half Life Alyx gives me that same feeling of playing the original; you just know you are playing something truly brilliant, and so innovative; it really pushes VR to the next level. This game is very additive and plays superbly. The sound, graphics, and flawless touch precision bring you right into the world of Half Life. 10/10, and no doubt, one of my greatest gaming experiences.

com2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337 com2006

@ghosts4ever: I thoroughly disagree, the game maintains the excellent visuals, combat, and puzzling that the others are very much known for. I would say the level design, and longitivtiy matches up to the other games in this excellent franchise.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338 dzimm

@pinkribbonscars said:
@dzimm said:
@pinkribbonscars said:
@dzimm said:

You pancake peasants are literally beginning to sound like console peasants when Crysis released

What are you talking about? You're the one who said that 99% of the game is VR gimmickry, suggesting that without VR to dazzle you, there's not much left of any interest from a gameplay standpoint. ¯\__(ツ)__/¯

At least Valve has admitted that this is just a niche title, and that Half-Life 3 will be developed as a proper game.

PinkRibbonScars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339  Edited By PinkRibbonScars  Online

@dzimm said:
@pinkribbonscars said:
@dzimm said:
@pinkribbonscars said:

What are you talking about? You're the one who said that 99% of the game is VR gimmickry, suggesting that without VR to dazzle you, there's not much left of any interest from a gameplay standpoint. ¯\__(ツ)__/¯

At least Valve has admitted that this is just a niche title, and that Half-Life 3 will be developed as a proper game.

You continue to sound more and more like a console peasant describing Crysis.

"Without the graphics to dazzle you, there's not much left of any interest from a gameplay standpoint" < literally what butthurt console peasants said about Crysis

VR isn't just a visual effect. There's so many moments in Alyx that just wouldn't work without VRs 6DoF, just like how in Crysis the gameplay wouldn't be anywhere near as dynamic or emergent without it's physics engine. Removing Alyx's VR is like removing the physics engine from Crysis. Sure it'll still "play just fine", but it'll be missing its core.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340 dzimm

@pinkribbonscars said:
@dzimm said:
@pinkribbonscars said:
@dzimm said:
@pinkribbonscars said:

"Without the graphics to dazzle you, there's not much left of any interest from a gameplay standpoint" < literally what butthurt console peasants said about Crysis

VR isn't just a visual effect. There's so many moments in Alyx that just wouldn't work without VRs 6DoF, just like how in Crysis the gameplay wouldn't be anywhere near as dynamic or emergent without it's physics engine

Dude, again, what are you talking about? You're the one who said that the VR gimmick was 99% of what made Half-Life: Alyx worth playing. Those are your words, not mine.

com2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341  Edited By com2006

@dzimm: it is worth playing without VR; I can imagine what he means is, you aren’t fully experiencing the game at its utmost best. This is a game made for VR first and foremost, but anyone who thinks it is merely a gimmick are totally wrong; the game is a full half life experience in VR. It is that simple

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342 dzimm

@com2006 said:

@dzimm: it is worth playing without VR; I can imagine what he means is, you aren’t fully experiencing the game at its utmost best. This is a game made for VR first and foremost, but anyone who thinks it is merely a gimmick are totally wrong; the game is a full half life experience in VR. It is that simple

So... if you play without VR, you'll be missing out on the VR, which pinkribbonscars claims is 99% of the game.

com2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#343  Edited By com2006

@dzimm: like I said, that isn’t the case; VR offers the immersion, but the half life experience of past; survivor horror and shooter, is very much there. It is why, 10/10, and yet again, Valve have broken new ground.

com2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#344  Edited By com2006

Can’t believe any Half Life fan like myself could be negative towards this; it does what HL does, and breaks new ground. It is surreal.

Now I’m just waiting for Portal VR !

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#345 Ghosts4ever

Half life 2 still better.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@ghosts4ever said:

Half life 2 still better.

It's lovely wuvley that it makes more of a connection to the original Halflife both in story, thing-I-remember, and environment, but doesn't over-do it like that DMC themed shooter. Halflife 2 always had a dissonance.

Would have been great if the snark was a weapon though along with trip-mines being usable and not just some shit you disarm.

Again, they got the essentials down, with whatever expansions take place it's an opportunity to expand on aspects like combine encounters and player tools.

PinkRibbonScars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347  Edited By PinkRibbonScars  Online
@dzimm said:
@pinkribbonscars said:
@dzimm said:
@pinkribbonscars said:

VR isn't just a visual effect. There's so many moments in Alyx that just wouldn't work without VRs 6DoF, just like how in Crysis the gameplay wouldn't be anywhere near as dynamic or emergent without it's physics engine

Dude, again, what are you talking about? You're the one who said that the VR gimmick was 99% of what made Half-Life: Alyx worth playing. Those are your words, not mine.

Again, calling VR a gimmick is like calling Crysis's graphics or physics engine a gimmick. I'm sorry you're poor dude, but you don't need to act like a console peasant because you can't afford a set up to play Alyx.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348 Ghosts4ever

@pinkribbonscars said:

Again, calling VR a gimmick is like calling Crysis's graphics or physics engine a gimmick. I'm sorry you're poor dude, but you don't need to act like a console peasant because you can't afford a set up to play Alyx.

please pinky, stop being so mean to others. its not someone fault that he is not rich.

A gaming PC in 2007 can run Crysis plus other games.

VR in 2020 only run alyx and bunch of light gun gimmick at theme park.

thats the huge difference.

and thats why its spinoff for VR and not Half life 3 as HL3 would be traditional game to be played by every fan.

PinkRibbonScars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#349  Edited By PinkRibbonScars  Online

They fixed the the left handed control bindingse so I'm gonna go start my second playthrough

Loading Video...

@ghosts4ever said:
@pinkribbonscars said:

please pinky, stop being so mean to others. its not someone fault that he is not rich.

A gaming PC in 2007 can run Crysis plus other games.

VR in 2020 only run alyx and bunch of light gun gimmick at theme park.

thats the huge difference.

and thats why its spinoff for VR and not Half life 3 as HL3 would be traditional game to be played by every fan.

You're still using console peasant logic. You don't care for VRs library, just like how, in their minds, console peasants didn't care for PCs library enough to justify spending $1000+ on a system just to play Crysis.

If a new freaking Half Life game isn't a big enough reason to jump into VR, then the reason must be because you're poor.

I don't know what more VR has to do to win you over otherwise.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#350 Ghosts4ever

@pinkribbonscars said:

You're still using console peasant logic. You don't care for VRs library, just like how, in their minds, console peasants didn't care for PCs library enough to justify spending $1000+ on a system just to play Crysis.

If a new freaking Half Life game isn't a big enough reason to jump into VR, then the reason must be because you're poor.

I don't know what more VR has to do to win you over otherwise.

of course not. because HL3 will be traditional game.

meanwhile back in 2007 i had GT 8600, pentium 4, 1 gb ram and it still run Crysis.