Half Life: Alyx Release Date Confirmed. Brand New Screenshots Display Amzing Visuals.

Cloud_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Cloud_Man
Member since 2020 • 201 Posts

Valve has announced that Half-Life: Alyx will release on March 23rd. In order to celebrate this announcement, the team has also released some new screenshots that you can find below. Half-Life: Alyx will be using the Source 2 Engine and these screenshots showcase what you can expect from it.

In case you weren’t aware of, Half-Life: Alyx is Valve’s VR return to the Half-Life series. The game tells the story of an impossible fight against a vicious alien race known as the Combine, set between the events of Half-Life and Half-Life 2.

“Playing as Alyx Vance, you are humanity’s only chance for survival. The Combine’s control of the planet since the Black Mesa incident has only strengthened as they corral the remaining population in cities. Among them are some of Earth’s greatest scientists: you and your father, Dr. Eli Vance.”

In Half-Life: Alyx, players will immerse themselves in deep environmental interactions, puzzle solving, world exploration, and visceral combat. Players will lean to aim around a broken wall and under a Barnacle to make an impossible shot. Players will also rummage through shelves to find a healing syringe and some shotgun shells.

Furthermore, players can manipulate tools to hack alien interfaces. For example, they can toss a bottle through a window to distract an enemy, or rip a Headcrab off their face and throw it out the window.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/half-life-alyx-releases-on-march-23rd-gets-brand-new-screenshots/

Looks very Half Life-y .

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58949 Posts

Look at that lazy texture work, wouldn't get that with Naught Dog.

I mean you wouldn't get gameplay either, 90% of the review will be kewl animations, Trump bad and le progressive, but still, something noticed about Valve, they tend to not even bother hiding it, still doing cloned textures literally 3 feet from each other, success leads to complacency, def should be downscored for poor presentation.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

@cloud_man said:

No Caption Provided

Looks very Half Life-y .

a ravenholm in vr could be cool as f*ck. or something like that elevator section in ep1 in the underground car park 😱genuinely excited to see how it scores now

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 uninspiredcup

@Macutchi said:
@cloud_man said:

Looks very Half Life-y .

a ravenholm in vr could be cool as f*ck. or something like that elevator section in ep1 in the underground car park 😱genuinely excited to see how it scores now

From the previous screenshots it appears to be once again leaning heavily on the HG Wells influence with Xen contamination changing the echosystem.

I really don't hope they just clone Ravenholm again.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@Macutchi said:
@cloud_man said:

Looks very Half Life-y .

From the previous screenshots it appears to be once again leaning heavily on the HG Wells influence with Xen contamination changing the echosystem.

again? no nobody wants a clone, just something dark and atmospheric and inventive. looks a bit cell shadey though, quite different to the old more realistic art style

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

Looks okay but nothing groundbreaking either. I'm sure Alyx will be a smashing hit and lets hope this is the VR killer app VR gamers have been waiting for.

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts

Crazy how an official full Valve game is coming out in only 6 weeks. I'm not counting the DOTA or Artifact stuff. I mean a Valve game with a full story and campaign.

And I'm glad they said on Reddit they are aware of "Valve Time" and already went through it in 2019. So there should be no more delays from here on out and March 23rd should be a lock.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

"Players will lean to aim around a broken wall and under a Barnacle to make an impossible shot. Players will also rummage through shelves to find a healing syringe and some shotgun shells.

Furthermore, players can manipulate tools to hack alien interfaces. For example, they can toss a bottle through a window to distract an enemy, or rip a Headcrab off their face and throw it out the window."

This summary of the gameplay makes it sound bad frfr lol

Oh really? I can throw a bottle out a window, I can pulla headcrab off my face lol

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

My style game, I'll wait. I'll play through Xbox one X enhanced Orange Box while I wait.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Look at that lazy texture work, wouldn't get that with Naught Dog.

I mean you wouldn't get gameplay either, 90% of the review will be kewl animations, Trump bad and le progressive, but still, something noticed about Valve, they tend to not even bother hiding it, still doing cloned textures literally 3 feet from each other, success leads to complacency, def should be downscored for poor presentation.

U mean if it was from naughty dog they would have blurred everything to shit so you couldn't see anything.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup
@Macutchi said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Macutchi said:
@cloud_man said:

Looks very Half Life-y .

again? no nobody wants a clone, just something dark and atmospheric and inventive. looks a bit cell shadey though, quite different to the old more realistic art style

There seems to be a lack of ambient occlusion, which makes the screenshots look quite flat. But it's worth noting, that technique is used to give the illusion of depth, when you are in VR, you actually have a tangible sense of depth.

I'm guessing with the headsets on it will be far more visually impressive.

But yea, the art-style does look somewhat different from Viktor Antonov's, which might be a good thing ultimately, as instead of taking place in a new setting, it appears to be City17 all over again, which tbh, I wish they didn't do, but whatever, we will see.

It would be neat if they ties it more conclusively to the events after Halflife, namely one Adrian Shepard but I don't know if Valve even consider him canon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

It's gonna look mindblowing in VR, I can't wait

@jeezers said:

"Players will lean to aim around a broken wall and under a Barnacle to make an impossible shot. Players will also rummage through shelves to find a healing syringe and some shotgun shells.

Furthermore, players can manipulate tools to hack alien interfaces. For example, they can toss a bottle through a window to distract an enemy, or rip a Headcrab off their face and throw it out the window."

Oh really? I can throw a bottle out a window, I can pulla headcrab off my face lol

Still mad you can't play Alyx? lol

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

@pinkribbonscars said:

It's gonna look mindblowing in VR, I can't wait

@jeezers said:

Still mad you can't play Alyx? lol

No. game in general looks terrible. watch out it will be cheap attempt by valve.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jeezers

@ghosts4ever: they act like rummaging through shelves for health packs and ammo is gameplay, I dont see how anyone could be excited about this 😆

Cloud_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cloud_Man
Member since 2020 • 201 Posts

@whatafailure said:

Crazy how an official full Valve game is coming out in only 6 weeks. I'm not counting the DOTA or Artifact stuff. I mean a Valve game with a full story and campaign.

And I'm glad they said on Reddit they are aware of "Valve Time" and already went through it in 2019. So there should be no more delays from here on out and March 23rd should be a lock.

I know. Never expected Valve to go full old school. PC focused, high end, story driven, offline, single player game.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

I'd really like to play this on the Valve Index, but they aren't selling them here in Australia.

I guess I'll just wait. I'll play it eventually.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

This looks great and is finally the application that will get me to put on a headset again.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 uninspiredcup

@Planeforger said:

I'd really like to play this on the Valve Index, but they aren't selling them here in Australia.

I guess I'll just wait. I'll play it eventually.

Not a fan of Oculus?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 uninspiredcup

Also, wondering if they are hiding some oddball weapon. Be odd if the game just solely used traditional handgun/shotgun/machine-gun, each game has an exotic item, and i'm not counting the gravity gloves.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By floppydics
Member since 2014 • 415 Posts

@jeezers:

@jeezers said:

You are doing the opposite and getting me excited the way you describe it. Can you imagine pulling a headcrab off your face then throwing it out of the window at a nearby group of combine in VR in the middle of a firefight. VR is just is so much more natural and immersive with the presence and feeling of being there. And 1:1 motion controls have a huge part of this. FPS are changing for the better as are most genres because of VR. I suppose you could point your mouse at the bad guys and keep clicking because that is way more fun eh.

I wish ID had brought Doom eternal to VR also.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By floppydics
@cloud_man said:
@whatafailure said:

I know. Never expected Valve to go full old school. PC focused, high end, story driven, offline, single player game.

Valve need a redemption (aka a kick up the arse) as they have been lazy and sat on their laurels for many years. Maybe they are making up ground as a lot of people believe they are has-beens. A definite step in the right direction and using the half life franchise to push VR is a good decision to me.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ghosts4ever

@floppydics said:

@jeezers:

@jeezers said:

You are doing the opposite and getting me excited the way you describe it. Can you imagine pulling a headcrab off your face then throwing it out of the window at a nearby group of combine in VR in the middle of a firefight. VR is just is so much more natural and immersive with the presence and feeling of being there. And 1:1 motion controls have a huge part of this. FPS are changing for the better as are most genres because of VR. I suppose you could point your mouse at the bad guys and keep clicking because that is way more fun eh.

glad you said also. not exclusively.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 floppydics

@ghosts4ever said:
@floppydics said:

@jeezers:

@jeezers said:

glad you said also. not exclusively.

Doom is better in VR in my opinion. Doom VFR was way more fun than Doom 2016 it jus needed to be longer like its flat cousin, so I would take Doom Eternal as VR exclusive all the same. It will be fantastic in flat regardless but would have been better in VR. If you love Doom you should try Doom VFR you never know you might like it :)

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@floppydics said:

Doom is better in VR in my opinion. Doom VFR was way more fun than Doom 2016 it jus needed to be longer like its flat cousin, so I would take Doom Eternal as VR exclusive all the same. It will be fantastic in flat regardless but would have been better in VR. If you love Doom you should try Doom VFR you never know you might like it :)

thankfully id software are not listening to VR fanboys and still making traditional games.

VR is just overpriced lame and cheap gimmick. nothing more, nothing less.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#25 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69456 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

thankfully id software are not listening to VR fanboys and still making traditional games.

You mean you are lame and cheap, nothing more nothing less. :)

It does help your case when you complain about VR price as a PC gamer. VR headset can be found as low as $400. I can understand not being a fan of VR but you come across more as a bitter person who can't afford it more than anything.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ghosts4ever

@Pedro said:
@ghosts4ever said:

It does help your case when you complain about VR price as a PC gamer. VR headset can be found as low as $400. I can understand not being a fan of VR but you come across more as a bitter person who can't afford it more than anything.

I would upgrade my PC more for that money. its not a matter of affordable or not.

VR headset offer nothing to the value.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By floppydics

@ghosts4ever said:
@floppydics said:

Actually its...

not overpriced - as cheap as £200 for headset, less if on sale

not lame - hey an opinion ofc but gameplay in VR is next level, and I also love traditional

cheap gimmick - hey you said it was overpriced ;) VR is here forever now too many people like it even if niche

PS. ID have already made a VR game lol DOOM VFR :) so maybe they are listening eh

Fingers crossed for Doom Eternal in VR aka the ultimate version.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 uninspiredcup

Skyrim is way better in VR as well, even though it's a lazyass conversion, modders once again doing what Bethesda can't be fucked doing.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jeezers

@ghosts4ever said:
@Pedro said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I would upgrade my PC more for that money. its not a matter of affordable or not.

I can afford VR but wont get it because i dont like it, straight up i dont care about hand and head motion in my games. I dont want to wear a headset to play games. Plus VR gameplay is much slower and linear for the sake of "immersion". VR gamers want everything to come to VR and dont even question or consider how thats going to affect the game.

Doom is a twitch shooter that has an emphasis on speed. Doom built around VR would effectively kill what Doom is, a twitch shooter.. I understand you wasted money on tech that has less good games than you were hoping, but we dont need every established IP going VR. Stop ruining gaming.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pedro

@ghosts4ever said:

Offers nothing of value to you. However, it offers value to many gamers. Don't like VR, don't play VR games. You perpetually bitching about developers catering to a specific group of gamers has become just obnoxious.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jeezers

@Pedro said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Offers nothing of value to you. However, it offers value to many gamers. Don't like VR, don't play VR games. You perpetually bitching about developers catering to a specific group of gamers has become just obnoxious.

VR gamers constantly begging for established franchises to come to their overpriced goofy looking headsets is obnoxious.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 uninspiredcup

VR cool.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

VR cool.

Table has been turn. this time around even Halo of 2020 will own Half life of 2020.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pedro

@jeezers said:

VR gamers constantly begging for established franchises to come to their overpriced goofy looking headsets is obnoxious.

Begging? If you want to call gamers discussing what they would like begging so be it. However, some developers are catering to this group of so called beggars while you and a few others bitch about VR ruining gaming because less than 1%(not the actual percent) of all games made caters to VR gamers. I remember folks saying that developers should make the games they want. Apparently that doesn't apply anymore.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

@floppydics said:

@jeezers:

@jeezers said:

I hope the headcrabs in Alyx are as cool as the VR headcrabs in Boneworks. The sensation when they attach to your face is unlike anything I've ever experienced before

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 floppydics

@pinkribbonscars said:
@floppydics said:

@jeezers:

@jeezers said:

I hope the headcrabs in Alyx are as cool as the VR headcrabs in Boneworks. The sensation when they attach to your face is unlike anything I've ever experienced before

Yet to play Boneworks but its on my to do list as it looks awesome. I'm sure it will defo be cooler just by being alien and organic and having that creepy half life vibe. Bringing that horror-lite atmosphere a la ravenholm etc. will be excellent in VR. And will also have that AAA polish that we don't experience enough in VR games hopefully. Unseen barnacles lifting you in the air will also induce a nice bit of panic and exciting moments no doubt.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

Funny. Titles like Cyberpunk 2077 and FFVII remake supposed to release late march, but got delayed, but Valve of all people ended up not needing a delay.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@floppydics said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@floppydics said:

Actually its...

not overpriced - as cheap as £200 for headset, less if on sale

not lame - hey an opinion ofc but gameplay in VR is next level, and I also love traditional

cheap gimmick - hey you said it was overpriced ;) VR is here forever now too many people like it even if niche

PS. ID have already made a VR game lol DOOM VFR :) so maybe they are listening eh

Fingers crossed for Doom Eternal in VR aka the ultimate version.

But isn't a 200 pound headset trash? I would never recommend someone buy a 300 dollar 4K TV. If a 200 pound headset is trash, then that means a headset IS a big investment for a few games.

(Never understood why the English use pounds on international forums where most of the populations are American. I don't even know what a pound equals.)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

@ezekiel43: No? Judging by reviews, some budget headsets are as good as or even better than the Rift CV1.

Regarding currency, Google dude.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@pinkribbonscars said:

But why should I? He should have, considering most of the forum isn't English. Get your globalist imperialism out of my face.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e83c14458072
deactivated-5e83c14458072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 deactivated-5e83c14458072
Member since 2006 • 2727 Posts

@uninspiredcup: You're so butthurt for some reason and it's hillarious. Why do people always bring up ND?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

@Arkhalipso said:

@uninspiredcup: You're so butthurt for some reason and it's hillarious. Why do people always bring up ND?

You just answer you're own question.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e83c14458072
deactivated-5e83c14458072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 deactivated-5e83c14458072
Member since 2006 • 2727 Posts

@davillain-: I guess I did. This guy must be thinking of Sony 24/7.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I have an Oculus, but damn, I'm really itching for the Valve Index.

Anyone know when it is back in stock? I know they said "before Alyx releases" but I'd like to have a ballpark idea so I can sit at my computer with my finger ready to click "buy"

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 uninspiredcup

@mrbojangles25 said:

I have an Oculus, but damn, I'm really itching for the Valve Index.

Same, though thus far more than happy with what it can provide. If I lose a few finger digits and a some resolution to pay quarter of the price, I can live with that.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#46 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I have a Oculus too but I'm actually waiting for next gen headsets until I start playing VR again I just hate having the sensors on my desk and I just want the screendoor effect gone completely also wireless if possible and hand tracking if I have to wait until the third gen headsets so be it. Oculus gave me great experiences but I want a huge upgrade for next gen headsets or it's not worth it for me.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:
@pinkribbonscars said:

But why should I? He should have, considering most of the forum isn't English. Get your globalist imperialism out of my face.

um, the globalist imperialist view would be yours: that everyone should use USD. This is an international community. It's not that big a deal, and as an American myself I don't find it upsetting at all. Honestly the only currency issue I've had on here is when people think they pay more than Americans and rant about it, but only because they don't do the conversions. We get that with the Canadian members a lot - typically the opposite has been true whenever I've punched in the current exchange rate. Some other countries do front higher prices though (sometime astronomically so)