uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58911 Posts

>Accessibility crap done, sitting one handed, movement options, apparently 1 handed is shit

> Game done barring bugs ironed out and (apparently) tweaking the ending

> Closer in tone to Portal than Last Of Us i.e. light

> AI has been reworked to be more like Halflife 1's i.e. more mobile

> Automatic mantling or teleporting

> No audio commentary at launch, planned

Valve opens up about Half-Life: Alyx, Source 2 engine on Reddit

No delays, Valve insists: "We let the Valve Time happen before we announced the game."

With approximately two months left to go until their next game's launch, the developers at Valve opened up to the throngs at Reddit for a thousands-strong "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) session on Wednesday. Unsurprisingly, most of the questions were ignored—especially ones that mentioned the number 3—but the team still revealed some new and interesting tidbits about March's upcoming VR-exclusive game Half-Life: Alyx.

Perhaps most importantly, the development team insisted that the game is still on schedule to launch in its announced window of March 2020. "With the exception of some tweaks to the absolute final scene, the game is done," an unnamed staff member said in one post. "We let the Valve Time happen before we announced the game." This statement alludes to the company's tradition of letting release schedules slip until a game reaches "it's done" territory, but that wasn't clarified in further answers.

That means the game's full suite of movement options within VR are complete, Valve said, "including things like Seated, Left-Handed mode, etc." The new game's suite of "accessibility" features are still being iterated on, particularly support for one-handed play.

In another answer, Valve confirmed that the game is currently designed for fluid two-hand play, which may make any one-handed modes tricky to implement:

Our weapons all require only one hand, but they can be optionally grabbed and steadied by your offhand. We really wanted to focus on simultaneous two-handed play throughout the game, so we needed the player to always be able to easily have a free hand. We keep that hand pretty busy with gravity gloves, movement, world interactions, flashlight, and so on.

Additionally, Valve said a variety of contextual menus and indicators will "keep the player's eyes on the environment as much as possible, including over-the-shoulder inventory systems and at least one menu revealed by flipping your real-life wrist.

No longer “maintaining a fragile fiction”

The HL:A team repeatedly referenced the legacy of older Half-Life games. Longtime Valve writer Erik Wolpaw used the AMA as an opportunity to insist that original series writer Marc Laidlaw has actively participated with the current game's writing team, despite no longer being employed by Valve. He wrote:

We've never been able to figure out where the rumors of us falling out with Marc came from, because there's no truth to it. He's been super generous with his time throughout the development of HL:A, answering many questions from Erik, Jay, and Sean as they hammered away on the story. As is always the case with Marc, we send him an email, and he sends us a response, and then roughly 40 more replies to his own email.

Unfortunately, as of press time, Valve hasn't answered the AMA's questions about Laidlaw's work on an apparent Half-Life 2: Episode 3 plot outline.

Wolpaw said the new game's writing and tone are in line with existing Half-Life titles, which he described as "closer in tone to the Portal games than they are to, say, The Last of Us." He insisted that the new game's use of a speaking protagonist, a first for a single-player Valve game, is "mostly liberating" and makes players feel like "they're actually an active participant in the scene." He acknowledged the fun that the Portal team had writing around its mute protagonist but indicated this wasn't a good fit for another Half-Life game in the modern era: "It's a lot more tricky when you have to maintain a fragile fiction that the player character can talk but simply isn't for some reason."

The AMA only included vague hints about returning enemies and characters from previous games (other than popular characters like the Headcrab, which were already outed by the game's reveal trailer). One cool tidbit came from an unnamed developer about under-the-hood systems carried over from older games: "There are some things we think we did better in HL1 than HL2."

To make their point, this developer claimed the new game's Combine Soldiers are based on AI routines from the first Half-Life game.

In confirming the absence of original Alyx Vance voice actor Merle Dandridge, Valve said she had been approached at the game's outset, "but in the end, felt we wanted to go in a different direction." While Valve didn't clarify that point any further, the AMA went so far as to say, "we hope to work with her again in the future." Could this mean the new game's "younger" Alyx voice actor and Dandridge may eventually be heard simultaneously in some time-traveling loop sequence? It's Half-Life, so who knows.

As in previously released games, Valve said it "plans" on adding a commentary track to HL:A, though that's "unlikely" to happen in time for the game's March launch. And when asked whether this new game will include a train sequence, like other classic Half-Life entries, Valve said flatly, "It's actually illegal to ship a Half-Life game if you don't spend at least a little time riding in a train." (Fans immediately jumped on this comment to demand a train sequence be patched into the free Half-Life 2: Lost Coast tech demo.)

No more jumping, but maybe jump scares?

In terms of raw VR mechanics, Valve confirmed a few details. One biggie is that the game will not include a jumping function but will rather include either automatic "mantling" up climbable surfaces or a "teleport" tap to cross short gaps. (Assuming the game otherwise includes interesting and tense traversal moments, that should be fine by us; we don't come to Half-Life games in search of Turok-like jumping challenges, anyway.)

Barnacles are set to return, though for similar reasons as the above jumping detail, their dangling tongues won't physically lift HL:A players. "We experimented with moving the player, but moving the player without their input in VR didn't work very well," Valve said. "As with many aspects of working on this game, we've had to find new ways to take well-worn mechanics and other Half-Life staples into the specific framework of VR."

Two of the AMA's shortest answers hinted to some seriously trippy VR-specific moments: "some creatures respond to audio more than others," and "limb dismemberment is not a factor in most combat encounters—but there is a very notable exception." We wonder whether this has to do with the sounds of VR footsteps or whether VR headsets' built-in microphones will be turned on for certain moments in the game. Valve didn't clarify.

Both of those vague hints sound creepy, and one Valve dev, who outed himself as the team's most timid player, answered questions about the game's horror-scare potential within VR headsets at length:

Horror is part of the franchise, and through playtesting, we feel like we've gained some confidence about where to draw this line. Some of our gorier visuals tend to evoke a grim fascination rather than revulsion or panic, and apart from myself, we've hardly ever seen anyone nope out of a playtest, even during the creepier sections.

Boo to lack of SDK, yay to Headcrab bucket

The AMA included some wonky technical breakdowns about the Source 2 engine's sound implementations, including a promising emphasis on the VR game's sound design: "Figuring out ways of making environments sonically interesting for players who want to take their time and explore, which happens much more frequently in VR."

Speaking of wonky, technical breakdowns: Unlike the recent, uneven VR adventure game Boneworks, HL:A will not include any visible body parts within players' VR view beyond their hands. However, Valve says that its upcoming game actually models invisible arms and legs, primarily to stop nearby geometry (doors, drawers) from colliding unnaturally with your nearby virtual body.

Should fans be excited by the various new systems described in the AMA, particularly tweaks to the Source 2 engine for refined VR development, they'll need to cool their heels for a while. While Valve has told fans that some VR-specific tools will be opened up for tinkerers when the game launches, the same won't happen for the "full" SDK. "This is how we've done SDKs in our previous Source 1 titles as well," Valve said. "Making the game takes precedence, and after that's done, we start looking at what's next."

Valve said that one of the foundational experiments that led to HL:A nearly shipped as a playable mini-game in Valve's free VR toy set The Lab (thus confirming fans' suspicions after data-mining The Lab's files). This prototype, and a few others, may very well see coverage in Geoff Keighley's upcoming Final Hours video special about HL:A's development process.

On the sillier side, Valve has confirmed that HL:A players can do stupid stuff like pick up a bucket, place it on a Headcrab, and watch the creature skitter around as a moving bucket. "Playtesters all keep reporting it as a bug," the team said.

For the next two months, Valve said it has designs on releasing a stream of gameplay videos, which will "showcase not just gameplay elements, but also VR-specific elements like different movement options." We'll certainly keep our eyes peeled for those, as we're still waiting on answers about more of the game's VR-specific mechanics, particularly the Gravity Gloves and the wall-scanning Multi-tool seen in this article's top illustration. For now, you'll have to settle on a dump of text, and maybe furrow your brow at the questions Valve didn't answer, by flipping through the rest of the AMA right here.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17805 Posts

Damn it, this is making me want to upgrade my Rift to a Valve Index.... must resist.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56081 Posts

If HL Alyx somehow finds it's way to PSVR in the distance future, (most likely PSVR2) I'll gladly look into this game. But as of now, my PC wasn't meant for VR gaming due to space and I'm in no mood to move my desktop anywhere parts in my House.

All in all, I'm just glad Valve is making a comeback in the gaming world and for better or worst, I'm sure Alyx will do just fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

I'll ask my brother if I can borrow his Rift for a week. Then I'm back to never using VR.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 uninspiredcup

I hope it doesn't get indulgently carried away with Portal (2) writing where literally every 5 feet someone is talking you.

In ways that's that game was actually a step back in design, namely linear walk-in-line corridors while Wheatly talks and the games ending, which is essentially a COD level scripted sequence.

Halflife is at it's best when it's hinting at something rather than explicitly spelling it out.

While Alyx was mechanically leagues better than the majority of companion NPC's in Episode 1, her upbeat attitude like they were on holiday was straight up fucking stupid in the context of what was happening and "Hey Gordon look, you're too stupid to figure it out so i'll tell you" got kinda grating, even prior to Episode 1.

Having said that they fixed that dumb-assesness in Episode 2.

But please, no more "Hey look!".

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@BassMan said:

Damn it, this is making me want to upgrade my Rift to a Valve Index.... must resist.

Same. Problem is I actually have some spending money at the moment haha.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Cool. More quipping.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

No jumping? Valve should know not everyone has a weak gut when it comes to VR.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#9 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Still no official gameplay.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

I am a huge Half-Life fan so for me this will be must play, even if it isn't Half-Life 3. However, I don't have the rig and I don't have a VR head set up, controls, etc. So I'm out.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Easy pass for me, and I love HL.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

@davillain- said:

If HL Alyx somehow finds it's way to PSVR in the distance future, (most likely PSVR2) I'll gladly look into this game. But as of now, my PC wasn't meant for VR gaming due to space and I'm in no mood to move my desktop anywhere parts in my House.

All in all, I'm just glad Valve is making a comeback in the gaming world and for better or worst, I'm sure Alyx will do just fine.

You can play VR seated

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

It's nice that you don't have to worry about this game being downgraded because of current gen consoles.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Cloud_imperium said:

Still no official gameplay.

I agree, they done themselves a disservice making the first "official gameplay" from stabilized blurry off-screen cam.

Hopefully they will release proper crisp footage soonish.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24915 Posts

@warmblur said:

It's nice that you don't have to worry about this game being downgraded because of current gen consoles.

but graphically it looks far worse than Doom Eternal and Cyberpunk.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

lol just wait until the downgrade in September it's going to look like a PS2 game lol but I'm sure CDPR fanboys will still defend them even though there is literally no excuse to downgrade the PC version. I hope CDPR are ready for the shit storm coming if they pull that shit again.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

lol just wait until the downgrade in September it's going to look like a PS2 game lol but I'm sure CDPR fanboys will still defend them even though there is literally no excuse to downgrade the PC version. I hope CDPR are ready for the shit storm coming if they pull that shit again.

Im not CDPR fanboy. I hated witcher and only reason im interested in cyberpunk because it remind me of Deus Ex 1 plus Keannu reeves. if it was third person. it would not even be 1% interested.

another game that looks miles better than HL alyx is Doom Eternal.

Loading Video...

id tech 7 so much better than valve's shitty source 2.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

Im not CDPR fanboy. I hated witcher and only reason im interested in cyberpunk because it remind me of Deus Ex 1 plus Keannu reeves. if it was third person. it would not even be 1% interested.

Loading Video...

I never said you where I'm talking about the general audience as for DOOM looking better then HL Alyx time will tell. Just remember all third party games are held back by consoles that's a fact. They could look miles better if they where built from the ground up on PC like the good old days that's why games like Crysis still hold up today.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Loading Video...

I never said you where I'm talking about the general audience as for DOOM looking better then HL Alyx time will tell. Just remember all third party games are held back by consoles that's a fact. They could look miles better if they where built from the ground up on PC like the good old days that's why games like Crysis still hold up today.

Crysis today looks outdated actually. draw distance is just simply terrible in vanilla version.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#21  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69433 Posts

@warmblur said:

That is factually false.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

> Closer in tone to Portal than Last Of Us i.e. light

This is good news. More humorous games, please. All of the grimdark is depressing the hell out of me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@Pedro said:
@warmblur said:

That is factually false.

How so?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Loading Video...

Source Engine 2 looks pretty good. Especially in VR. Alot of what makes Valve games hold up is less down to technical prowess and more down to strong art-direction and stellar animation work.

Loading Video...

And that's also a very old version of the engine.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Loading Video...

Source Engine 2 looks pretty good. Especially in VR. Alot of what makes Valve games hold up is less down to technical prowess and more down to strong art-direction and stellar animation work.

Loading Video...

source 2 never used in any real game. just F2P or some VR game.

Id tech 7 is miles better.

it appears that id software care more about gamers today than Valve who only cares about $$$ either from steam or using HL name to sell thier VR device.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

source 2 never used in any real game. just F2P or some VR game.

Id tech 7 is miles better.

it appears that id software care more about gamers today than Valve who only cares about $$$ either from steam or using HL name to sell thier VR device.

But Id Software completely abandoned PC gamers and they themselves resold (and will most likely make another) poor VR conversion to be resold at a higher price tag.

Valve is losing, not making more money by selling a purely built VR game for the sake of quality. So we chosen, with extreamly large income can enjoy it.

Very odd logic my freind.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

But Id Software completely abandoned PC gamers

They never. all Doom Eternal footage being on PC and this being more PC oriented game than any of your precious resident evil.

beside if its console games. then i guess console has never been better before as its better than many of old PC shooters too.

poor VR conversion to be resold at a higher price tag

that was just VR spinoff and not main series and unlike valve, id never claim VR game as full fledge. HL VR also selling at full price and even asking us to buy a expensive PC in money we can buy 2 gaming PC.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

But Id Software completely abandoned PC gamers

They never. all Doom Eternal footage being on PC and this being more PC oriented game than any of your precious resident evil.

No mod support.

Alyx support mods, Valve obviously care more and didn't abandon their community for console bucks.

@ghosts4ever said:

hat was just VR spinoff and not main series and unlike valve, id never claim VR game as full fledge. HL VR also selling at full price and even asking us to buy a expensive PC in money we can buy 2 gaming PC.

VR conversion my freind, a poor one. In order for VR to be utilized properly a game must be properly built for it.

Doom VR was literally a cash-in and rip-off everything accuse Valve of doing, and they probably do it again trying to cash-in on Alyx lol

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@warmblur said:

Yep, you can't blame consoles for this shitfest lol.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

No mod support.

Alyx support mods, Valve obviously care more and didn't abandon their community for console bucks.

Better varied fast paced old school style SP campaign. thats all matters. valve has never made anything since 2004. all they are doing is making f2p online games, VR games like the lab. and other crap like dota 2. plus left 4 dead 2 was overpriced expansion pack.

valve may not abondon for console bucks but they abondon old fans and being silent for 2 decades and not release any sequel. What id did was to bring back iconic franchise and it success as a result sequel looks like best thing valve has ever made in thier life.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@i_p_daily said:
@warmblur said:

?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:
@i_p_daily said:
@warmblur said:

?

Consoles are to blame but mostly 7th gen consoles. todays console are strong enough and next gen consoles are more strong.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:
@i_p_daily said:
@warmblur said:

?

Consoles are to blame but mostly 7th gen consoles. todays console are strong enough and next gen consoles are more strong.

If they are strong why was there so many graphic downgrades this gen? it's funny you don't even own a console and yet you defend them. I have a PS4 and even I can tell you that they held back PC this generation.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:
@i_p_daily said:
@warmblur said:

?

If they are strong why was there so many graphic downgrades this gen? it's funny you don't even own a console and yet you defend them. I have a PS4 and even I can tell you that they held back PC this generation.

Base consoles are weak now but pro and X are stronger but in 2020 now they are weak thats why we are getting next gen soon and next gen consoles are more stronger.

my point is hardware limitation was more common during 7th gen. most of downgrade you have seen made by ubisoft because they do false marketing. and biggest one was witcher 3.

my friend, the thing is you still living in 7th gen. nowadays most games dont get dumbed down compare to in 2007 - 2012. that was the period anything going to console its going to be ruined.

Why did Metro Exodus the best looking game this gen not get downgraded?

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I didn't know they were working on a Wii port.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:
@i_p_daily said:

?

Base consoles are weak now but pro and X are stronger but in 2020 now they are weak thats why we are getting next gen soon and next gen consoles are more stronger.

my point is hardware limitation was more common during 7th gen. most of downgrade you have seen made by ubisoft because they do false marketing. and biggest one was witcher 3.

my friend, the thing is you still living in 7th gen. nowadays most games dont get dumbed down compare to in 2007 - 2012. that was the period anything going to console its going to be ruined.

2007-2012 was much better the only downgrades I can think of where Madden 06, and Killzone 2 if I remember correctly I didn't play those games but those are the ones I remember hearing about. This gen we are in right now had way more games that where downgraded and unfortunately I have a bad feeling Cyberpunk 2077 is next. As for Metro Exodus not being downgraded yeah that's true it's actually coming to Steam next month I'm looking forward to playing it finally. As for why it didn't get downgraded? I dunno probably because they are more skilled at creating games then some other devs.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

No mod support.

Better varied fast paced old school style SP campaign. thats all matters. valve has never made anything since 2004. all they are doing is making f2p online games, VR games like the lab. and other crap like dota 2. plus left 4 dead 2 was overpriced expansion pack.

valve may not abondon for console bucks but they abondon old fans and being silent for 2 decades and not release any sequel. What id did was to bring back iconic franchise and it success as a result sequel looks like best thing valve has ever made in thier life.

Being incredibly open minded i'll be enjoyable both.

Which is great.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

?

2007-2012 was much better the only downgrades I can think of where Madden 06, and Killzone 2 if I remember correctly I didn't play those games but those are the ones I remember hearing about. This gen we are in right now had way more games that where downgraded and unfortunately I have a bad feeling Cyberpunk 2077 is next. As for Metro Exodus not being downgraded yeah that's true it's actually coming to Steam next month I'm looking forward to playing it finally. As for why it didn't get downgraded? I dunno probably because they are more skilled at creating games then some other devs.

no it was not. you were just blinded by nastolgia. 2007 was one of the best year but after that it was just decline.

remember bunch of COD clones, MOH warfighter, remember when every game has to be regen health and cover system, every game was 6 hour scripted. even Doom 4 was suppose to be like that.

the graphical downgrade happen because some games are waay too ambitious. Metro didnot get downgrade see its all because of developer. theres are huge difference between todays console hardware and 360/PS3 era.

theres the reason why FEAR 2, Crysis 2 or even gone back Deus Ex 2 got dumbed down. now its not anymore as look into Games like Metro Exodus which give graphic to limit and Prey which is system shock 2 like experience while in last gen we got bioshock infinite.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ghosts4ever
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

No mod support.

Which is great.

I wish valve would still care about its core fans. someone waiting for Half life 2 EP2 sequel and still missing for decades. I wish i could be that "open minded".

They used to be my fav developers. now ship has sailed.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

No mod support.

Which is great.

I wish valve would still care about its core fans. someone waiting for Half life 2 EP2 sequel and still missing for decades. I wish i could be that "open minded".

They used to be my fav developers. now ship has sailed.

Disgusting hacks to be sure.

Still, being a mouth dribbling Valve shill, i'll buy this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

no it was not. you were just blinded by nastolgia. 2007 was one of the best year but after that it was just decline.

remember bunch of COD clones, MOH warfighter, remember when every game has to be regen health and cover system, every game was 6 hour scripted. even Doom 4 was suppose to be like that.

the graphical downgrade happen because some games are waay too ambitious. Metro didnot get downgrade see its all because of developer. theres are huge difference between todays console hardware and 360/PS3 era.

theres the reason why FEAR 2, Crysis 2 or even gone back Deus Ex 2 got dumbed down. now its not anymore as look into Games like Metro Exodus which give graphic to limit and Prey which is system shock 2 like experience while in last gen we got bioshock infinite.

Actually 2007 wasn't that great except for Crysis, 2005 for me is the GOAT when it comes to years in gaming as my favorite. As for being blinded by nostalgia not really gaming for PC was just better back in the day 1998-2005 was the best time to be a PC gamer we had some awesome exclusives and even console gaming in that era was great. Modern day suffers because of greedy and lazy Publishers there's still some great games but not as many as there use to be.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

Actually 2007 wasn't that great except for Crysis, 2005 for me is the GOAT when it comes to years in gaming as my favorite. As for being blinded by nostalgia not really gaming for PC was just better back in the day 1998-2005 was the best time to be a PC gamer we had some awesome exclusives and even console gaming in that era was great. Modern day suffers because of greedy and lazy Publishers there's still some great games but not as many as there use to be.

Im not talking about late 90s to early 00s. early 00s was golden period. but late 00s till 2012 was dark period and things get better afterwards.

2007 was GOAT because of STALKER. not because of Crysis as many games today surpassed Crysis in terms of gameplay, scale, design etc. Doom is one of them. but nothing yet surpassed STALKER SoC yet.

I mean lets take a look at this and lets compare similar games of last gen

RE7 > RE4

RE2 remake > RE5 and 6

Doom > FEAR (just by hair)

Metro Exodus = Crysis (well Crysis has better gameplay, but metro has better everything)

Prey > Bioshock

Hitman 2016 > Hitman Absolution

Titanfall 2 > COD4

Star wars jedi fallen order > Star wars forced unleashed

The outer world > Fallout 3

RDR 2 > GTA 5 (although i found both of them boring but RDR2 is better of 2 easily)

etc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Im not talking about late 90s to early 00s. early 00s was golden period. but late 00s till 2012 was dark period and things get better afterwards.

2007 was GOAT because of STALKER. not because of Crysis as many games today surpassed Crysis in terms of gameplay, scale, design etc. Doom is one of them. but nothing yet surpassed STALKER SoC yet.

RE7 > RE4

RE2 remake > RE5 and 6

Metro Exodus = Crysis (well Crysis has better gameplay, but metro has better everything)

Prey > Bioshock

Titanfall 2 > COD4

RDR 2 > GTA 5 (although i found both of them boring but RDR2 is better of 2 easily)

etc

Disagree with that list big time but that's ok it's all just opinions anyways.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

RE7 > RE4

RE2 remake > RE5 and 6

Prey > Bioshock

Titanfall 2 > COD4

etc

Disagree with that list big time but that's ok it's all just opinions anyways.

my friend, i respect your opinion but you cant see the improvement from Hitman absolution to Hitman 2016? or cant see how RE7 is proper horror game and RE5 and 6 were action games?

or how Titanfall 2 is so much better than COD4 which ruined FPS genre? come on my friend.

sure we still have crap like wolfenstein, COD and battlefield too still.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

The hype is real. Reddit is gonna love it.