Hack N Slash vs 'Souls-like' 3rd person action games

• 51 results
jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Poll Hack N Slash vs 'Souls-like' 3rd person action games (48 votes)

Ninja Gaiden Black, Bayonetta 2, Devil May cry 5, God of War 3, Dante's Inferno 56%
Dark Souls, Sekiro, Demon Souls, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3 44%

Hey guys, so I have interest in both of these genres of 3rd person action games. Both are 3rd person melee focused action games. But with some pretty big differences.

Hack N Slash- Fast combat with an emphasis on combos. Taking many enemies on at once, more movement in general, jump button allows for Arial combos. more emphasis on combat move sets, hardly any stat management.

Souls-like- Slower combat but with a more emphasis on weight, pull enemies more slowly and strategically. more grounded combat that emphasizes conserving stamina for good hits. More detailed stat management, vitality strength, faith, ect.

Personally I prefer the hack N slash titles, I just have more fun with them. I like the fast speed and combos, taking on big waves of enemies at once. I enjoy the movement/acrobatics of these games alot.

What i like about the souls like games, they are beautiful games, the art styles, enemy models, and bosses look amazing. The weighted combat is good too and i get the appeal for some to have a more realistic weight to the weapons/armor as well as more detailed stat management, but in the end, these things just slow the game down to much for me. I know the appeal to many is the difficulty, but even then its more of a rinse and repeat type of difficulty, to remember the enemy patterns and locations, its not bad, i see how that's good, but it slows down the game for me, also the grinding for souls to then upgrade stats, returns to same areas and grinding for souls, upgrade stats, not really feeling it.

What about you guys? which type do you prefer?

• 
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 32273 Posts

I enjoy them both but I definitely prefer Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, and Devil May Cry.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 10263 Posts

Likewise. I love Souls-like game but I consider Ninja Gaiden Black ans Bayonetta some of the best games ever.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 1488 Posts

It depends on the game, really. I've never been a huge fan of the Dark Souls series or any of its derivatives because the combat is pretty much the same across the entire series and everything made by the company. And the same combat over, and over, and over again in just one game is monotonous enough for me to put it down after you get used to it. After playing most of the ways through Dark Souls 3, I tried Sekiro, and Bloodborne but frankly got bored of both of them in under an hour with that same "been here, done this" feeling.

As for hack and slash, I've only tried a bit of one of the 3D Ninja Gaidens. It wasn't bad, but wasn't impressive. Probably the "hack and slash" series I've played the most would be Dynasty Warriors which I really enjoyed, playing every DW title from 2 to 8, and Samurai Warriors up to 3. DMC5 I got for free but that got monotonous. I have never tried God of War or Bayonetta though so I cannot comment on those.

Also, many will probably disagree with me but I consider Legend of Zelda titles like Ocarina of Time to be closer to Dark Souls style than hack and slash. The whole targeting an enemy, blocking and countering, or dodging and hitting them from behind, that sort of stuff really started there, Dark Souls expanded upon it.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13598 Posts

Voted souls cause you added dante and bayonetta to the other option.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 37462 Posts

In past I would say hack n slash but this gen there has been a greater shift toward the more Soul-like games.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@eoten: I agree that the souls like games all feel to similar at times. I also enjoy dynasty warriors though i havent played any of the current gen ones, played the ps2 ones, I did play hyrule warriors, last gen i really liked the gundam wing type one. I didn't include them in the hack n slash genre because i kind of put them in their own genre. Dynasty warriors kind of made its own genre much how dark souls did ironically. Massive armies and controlling the map points to win. I do see how the combat is hack n slash though.

I liked this game :)

Do you remember which ninja gaiden you played? I hope it wasnt 3, id probably hate ninja gained if it was 3.

Interesting take on Zelda, your right i disagree lol but i get where you coming from. Zelda just has such an emphasis on puzzles its hard for me to relate them. Also no rpg stat management or variety of weapons, but did have items to get through more puzzles. lock on system is similar and dodging, your right there. Still very different types of games, but as a bare bones early template, I maybe can see it.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2435 Posts

I like both styles. These days I like the Souls like games more for there overall level design, enemy designs and the more serious mature lore if you will. That different style they bring like you describe there is something more fresh and new to me. I was a big fan of hack and slash before gravitating to them. For example Sekiro I though it was ok not as good as the other but really like the difference mechanics it attempted. Overall I would say just continue to design new mechanic no matter the type and I will be there. I know you hate Dad of War but it fits into what I'm saying nicely. Also DMC5 with its style switching greatest hits from previous games. V probably the boring style of the game but I really appreciate the nuance he brought.

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 235 Posts

Good thread. Which category/genre does Nioh fit in? Never played them.

As for the topic I prefer hack n slash.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 42123 Posts

Dark Souls, I love playing a sneaky beaky thief.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jeezers

@ellos: yeah i don't like new god of war at all, its a black sheep that i couldn't figure out on which category here.

I don't want to put it with souls like games because it doesn't have the emphasis on weight as much as those, it also doesn't have nearly the amount of rpg stat management, difficulty, weapon variety, or items. It also had a pretty lackluster enemy design and bosses. However it did ad more emphasis on dodge roll, block, parry.

I dont want to put it with hack N slash because it is much to slow now, was stripped of its jump button so no arial combos. Less emphasis on combos with mass groups of enemies. Movement is no where near the same, hardly has any platforming now.

In essence i find it to be a hodgepodge of both types while not excelling at either.

I guess it gets points for its story, but i could care less about story.

Id take NG story with big booby demons and motorcycles flying off airplanes vs dad of war. People say NG has bad story, I say it has the best story.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 1488 Posts

@jeezers said:

@eoten: I agree that the souls like games all feel to similar at times. I also enjoy dynasty warriors though i havent played any of the current gen ones, played the ps2 ones, I did play hyrule warriors, last gen i really liked the gundam wing type one. I didn't include them in the hack n slash genre because i kind of put them in their own genre. Dynasty warriors kind of made its own genre much how dark souls did ironically. Massive armies and controlling the map points to win. I do see how the combat is hack n slash though.

I liked this game :)

Do you remember which ninja gaiden you played? I hope it wasnt 3, id probably hate ninja gained if it was 3.

Interesting take on Zelda, your right i disagree lol but i get where you coming from. Zelda just has such an emphasis on puzzles its hard for me to relate them. Also no rpg stat management or variety of weapons, but did have items to get through more puzzles. lock on system is similar and dodging, your right there. Still very different types of games, but as a bare bones early template, I maybe can see it.

It was Ninja Gaiden 3, PS3 version. And sure, Zelda does have an emphasis on puzzles, and a bit on platforming, but neither of those things have anything to do with the combat which has very clear links with the Dark Souls series.

I would say OoT's combat is to Dark Souls what OG Doom is to Halo. A simpler, more basal version that was later expanded on to be a lot more intricate.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 19584 Posts

Not a fan of calling those hack n slash, but yeah much prefer those.

Definitely dig some Soulsborne/Nioh, but more like "sum of their parts" deals. Souls especially, no way I'd play a game that's just that combat. Has to be propped up by everything else. Something like Bloody Palace/Angel Slayer/Mission Mode etc. in a Souls game would be painfully boring with such a basic kit. Which is fine, they still hook me for other reasons. Nice level design, interesting encounter design, etc.

Stuff like NG, DMC, Bayo, TW101, etc. have far more flexibility with significantly higher skill ceilings. Player expression is on another level and you can spend years mastering these games. I find them much more fun to play as a result, the gameplay is so good that I end up preferring their "mission modes" over the main game in most cases. Not even because the main games are bad, the combat is just that good.

Also helps that the latter are purely skill based rather than having stat driven elements in a skill based game.

In short, love both, but I'll almost always choose mechanical depth and precision play over "sum of its parts" with decent, but not great combat.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jeezers

@worlds_apart said:

nioh is souls like imo, i should have added it

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jeezers

@eoten: Ninja gaiden 3 was horrible, i'm sorry you played it. I like Ninja gaiden black best on og xbox, then NG2 on 360, if you still have your ps3 try NG sigma, **** NG3, that's the game that basically killed off the series because it was an abomination. They tried to fix its problems with NG3 razors edge, but it was still crap :(

I get what you saying with Zelda, your probably right, it could definitely be seen as a blueprint on the combat side of things

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 3969 Posts

I love both, but prefer souls-like. The main reason is the atmophere these games offer. It feels like the level design in NG/DMC style games is just empty battle rooms... and that's not exactly exciting. The day we get a DMC game with Bloodborne level design, is the day DMC style games may surpass Souls-like games.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 319 Posts

Hack n slash. Far more move variety.

The only reason I care for the SoulsBorne games is their boss fights. Everything else is just an (often tedious) obstacle til the next one.

Nioh is a serviceable compromise between the 2 but it's closer to Souls.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2435 Posts

@jeezers: Yeah the best way to describe Dad of War is, the creators are big fans of Souls like games now. The lead combat designer thinks Nioh is the game of the century. The older GOW games they were fans of hack n slash DMC etc. I think that is the perfect way of describing where it went.

Dad Of War is not as deep but the weight, the feel and character expression is there. That's actually is an improvement from previous work. The combat design with mechanics to support that design is there. Even though to some it feels like its born out of it camera situation. Like I said what I tend to like is the fact that a new design and mechanics to support it is born. I don't like rpg mechanics that much either but they were enough to support the combat design. Could have been consistence in the way they change the color of enemies tales etc (almost something unique). The beauty of things like lv1 armor run were born. Honestly its like a team that has proved capable of creating something good from both inspirations. Hack and Slash form there previous work and now the more grounded style with some old GOW flare. Story of course cory followed the sony cinematic universe formula. I could care less but there is no denying there more direction and seriousness than cheeze if you will. I like big boobs too lol.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 46646 Posts

Souls, easy.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 63217 Posts

Action games over souls games free, mostly for what Conan said.

From a depth standpoint it isn’t even close.

All of them are better than like typical rpg/action adventure gameplay tho. Holy shit is that stuff bad.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 2467 Posts

Souls. Action games peaked with Bayonetta a decade ago. They haven't gotten any better since.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 osan0
Member since 2004 • 15955 Posts

Argh...i cant decide.

Speaking strictly about the combat here now: not the content of the games or anything.

Initially i was thinking "easy: hack and slash. i have finished more hack and slash games. i find souls games a chore to play".

...until i remembered that souls is getting too much credit here.....its roots lie in Monster hunter (i'm sure monster hunter has its roots in something else but i am not aware of it). thats just made the decision a whole lot more difficult for me.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 6950 Posts

I'm more of a fan of the deliberate Souls style and the systems built around them. They also scratch that metroidvania itch and have awesome world design for the most part.

I love Ninja Gaiden Black tho.

St_Monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 St_Monica
Member since 2020 • 141 Posts

Souls for me. All the features that define Soul-like are designed to provoke deeper emotional reactions from players such as fear, anger, confusion, surprise, satisfaction and joy. I don't know of any developers other than FromSoftware who did this well.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 2mrw  Online
Member since 2008 • 6117 Posts

Soul games are the worst thing that happened to action adventure games since demon souls

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#25 adsparky  Online
Member since 2006 • 1927 Posts

I love them both, but i vote souls; because i often stop and admire the details or just listen to the music and it's hard to do it in a fast game which hack and slash games tend to be.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9098 Posts

I enjoy both, but really devil may cry is the most influential 3d action game and it's also my favorite, so I voted for its category.

I would also urge everyone to include Zone of the Enders on the list of 3d action "hack and slash" titles due to its unique design. It justifiably gets a refresh for new generations of gamers similar to the other series.

One thing I will add to souls-styled games is that the release of Demon's souls (and subsequently Dark Souls, but it owes itself to Demon's) is a pivotal moment in gaming and gaming-related culture for the better part of the last decade. Endless references are made to Dark Souls (should be Demon's), and Demon's even sent some of the series that influence it back to some of their roots (think Zelda BOTW). It really is that great of a game.

Still picked the first option in the poll.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jeezers

@X_CAPCOM_X: zone of the enders was one of my favorite ps2 titles, i no longer have a ps2 and sold my collection but still have this for the 360. So glad they put this out last gen.

didn't even think to put it on the list, but your right i should have. excellent games

Probably should have put nier automata as well now that i'm thinking about it... or maybe not, i dunno

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hardwenzen

@osan0 said:

Argh...i cant decide.

Speaking strictly about the combat here now: not the content of the games or anything.

Initially i was thinking "easy: hack and slash. i have finished more hack and slash games. i find souls games a chore to play".

...until i remembered that souls is getting too much credit here.....its roots lie in Monster hunter (i'm sure monster hunter has its roots in something else but i am not aware of it). thats just made the decision a whole lot more difficult for me.

The souls have their roots in MH, Zelda and the OG pc rpg's from the 90's. Pretty good combo.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 4460 Posts

Hack n Slash all the way. Souls formula was good when it was new and unique. Now after 5-6 games it feels tiring because the combat doesn't have much depth. Also being RPGs you can easily cheese it as well based on stats.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 clone01
Member since 2003 • 28421 Posts

@worlds_apart said:

It's a little more hybrid. The combat is faster, but definitely takes some nuance. Personally, I loved Nioh. I thought it was a great mix.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hardwenzen

@pc_rocks said:

Hack n Slash all the way. Souls formula was good when it was new and unique. Now after 5-6 games it feels tiring because the combat doesn't have much depth. Also being RPGs you can easily cheese it as well based on stats.

Well, that's the thing. In a hack n slash game, the combat is all there is. In a game like Bloodborne, there a great story, amazing level design and atmosphere. There's simply more things going for those games when compared to HnS. I do agree that overleveling is bullshit, tho.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 4096 Posts

I prefer Hack n Slash. Mostly I prefer Bayonetta. Nothing against Souls games, they are good in their own right. But they are not Bayonetta.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 4460 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:

Well, that's the thing. In a hack n slash game, the combat is all there is. In a game like Bloodborne, there a great story, amazing level design and atmosphere. There's simply more things going for those games when compared to HnS. I do agree that overleveling is bullshit, tho.

Souls and Bloodborne are made by Miyazaki. He knows what a good level/encounter design is and a master of telling stories through the game. Most other imitations of Sould games don't have that. Still in Mayazaki games I have grown out of that formula because of stats. Sekiro was a step in the right direction.

Magnum3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Magnum3000
Member since 2020 • 1301 Posts

Hack n Slash

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lebanese_boy  Online
Member since 2003 • 15624 Posts

If I had to choose between the two I'd say Hack N Slash. I have no interest in the other one.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6033 Posts

What even is Demon Souls? Is it a precursor to Dark Souls? I remember downloading Dark Souls when it was free with XBLG and deleting it 30 mins later.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 7321 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: What do DMC/Bayo/NG fans call the genre? Hack and slash is a decent name, although its to broad IMO as games like Diablo and such would fall into it even though they're vastly different.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jeezers

@vfighter: Diablo is a dungeon crawler imo, doesnt count as hack n slash

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 4096 Posts

@vfighter: I've seen "spectacle fighter" thrown around, but I don't know how widespread that is.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@vfighter:

Yeah, suppose that's my issue with it.

It's a genre name that includes so many games that are nothing like the aforementioned titles. A genre name that predates DMC, which is really the (3d) game that introduced this style of game and spawned the likes of Bayo, GOW, NG, TW101, MGR, etc. And if we had to go with a genre that predates those types of games, I'd rather say that they're the 3d evolution of the beat em up, as they have much more in common with those than what we used to refer to as hack n slash games.

When I think hack n slash, I think of stuff like the Gauntlet games, Hunter: The Reckoning, the Dark Alliance BG games, those PS2 LOTR games, etc. And yeah, stuff like Diablo often gets lumped into that vague category as well.

To OPs credit, there really isn't a locked in genre name for whatever reason.

Among the core base, like judaspete said, you'll see spectacle fighter thrown around a lot. Stylish action is another one, coined by DMC devs. Character action, as dumb as it sounds, is something game journos been pushing for for years. Personally I'd prefer any of those to distinguish these games from hack n slash lol.

Still feel like we (industry/gamers) overcomplicated things when they're really just 3d beat em ups. Be like calling Mario 64 a spectacle jumper when it's obviously a 3d platformer.

/splitting hairs

Genre and sub-genre naming for games can get pretty dumb, it's whatever tho.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 26517 Posts

I greatly prefer Souls-like games. Dark Souls 1, 3 and Sekiro are three of the best damn videogames I've ever played in my life.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 319 Posts

@hardwenzen:

I was going to say that saying hack and slash only have combat is an over simplification - but after giving it some more thought - I'd say it's just flat out wrong.

Most of them have some degree of exploration, puzzle solving, and or/platforming.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 216

#43 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 15082 Posts

Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta > Souls, Sekiro, Bloodborne > God of War, Dante's Inferno

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ConanTheStoner
@my_user_name said:

@hardwenzen:

I was going to say that saying hack and slash only have combat is an over simplification - but after giving it some more thought - I'd say it's just flat out wrong.

Most of them have some degree of exploration, puzzle solving, and or/platforming.

Yeah, the amount and quality of that stuff definitely varies between games, but you're not wrong. They aren't just purely combat.

Thing is, I usually find myself wishing they were lol. Those aspects of the games are usually incredibly weak when compared to the combat. I find them to be momentum killers, things I need to push through to get back to the game proper.

I get why devs add them, like a requirement for pacing and "variety". And for the average joe who goes for a one n done (a significant enough portion of the people who buy these games), it's like a checklist for what they expect from a game.

But maaaaaaannnn, I'd love for them to be far less frequent, or significantly improved.

Tangent, but...

I really dig how Doom Eternal, and to a lesser extent, TW101 handles that.

In Eternal, the devs realize that meaningful variety on their core play comes in the form of arena layouts and the composition of their encounters. The minimal platforming and exploration between said encounters play off of the games great mobility options, and are short and sweet. More like a quick breather that a skilled player will blast through.

TW101, more of a mixed bag, but the main game is usually one unique encounter composition after the next, much like Eternal. However, when you're not in the main combat loop, puzzle solving and platforming are rare. Often times, you're thrown into a fairly well developed take on another action game/genre like Punchout, Space Harrier, or a variety of other shmup styles. Clearly more effort put in for the action fans out there when it comes to filling out a variety checklist.

I suppose on the upside, it's nice that a lot of these action devs recognize that their core base is strictly there for the combat and provides modes that are exactly that.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 2467 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: Doom Eternal could've blended action with FPS so much better if it had more viable melee combat. Blood punch and 1HK sword of pwnage is gimmicky bullshit. SHould've balanced a consistently reliable melee attack/weapon.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@vl4d_l3nin:

I like how Bloodpunch works, but completely dislike how the regular punch was neutered to basically being a tickle that can't even work a fodder demon. It's like damn bro, you're supposed to be Doomguy, but you can't punch the head clean off a zombie?

And yeah, agreed on the Crucible, straight up gimmick. Was way disappointed there. Eternal really could've used a helm splitter type move, an attack that brings you straight down. Most good action games have this and it would've been a great fit for Eternals mobility. Crucible makes perfect sense for this, among other things. Like having a well timed Crucible swing function as a parry, or deflect projectiles back at enemies. Maybe even something like Nero's Calibur, another mobility based attack.

Not that I'd want Eternal to have a sophisticated melee system, should remain mostly about the gunplay, but yeah there are some glaring missed opportunities here.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 216

#47 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 15082 Posts

@jeezers said:

@ellos: yeah i don't like new god of war at all, its a black sheep that i couldn't figure out on which category here.

I don't want to put it with souls like games because it doesn't have the emphasis on weight as much as those, it also doesn't have nearly the amount of rpg stat management, difficulty, weapon variety, or items. It also had a pretty lackluster enemy design and bosses. However it did ad more emphasis on dodge roll, block, parry.

I dont want to put it with hack N slash because it is much to slow now, was stripped of its jump button so no arial combos. Less emphasis on combos with mass groups of enemies. Movement is no where near the same, hardly has any platforming now.

In essence i find it to be a hodgepodge of both types while not excelling at either.

Id take NG story with big booby demons and motorcycles flying off airplanes vs dad of war. People say NG has bad story, I say it has the best story.

The new GOW definitely leans closer to the Soulslike style. Santa Monica said it themselves they were heavily inspired by Souls. Although the combat is vastly inferior to Souls, that's the combat style they were aiming for. Whereas the old GOW trilogy is hack & slash, clearly inspired by DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Rygar and 3D Castlevania.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 3132 Posts

@jeezers said:

question NG is hard as hell like soul games and its less than a hack slash game like god of war.

button mashing in ng is going to get you killed.

sorry the new god of war story is ten times better.

you might like what going on in ng more with big boobys etc. but there is no way story telling in ng beats god of war. god just tells a better story.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jeezers

@gifford38 said:
@jeezers said:

question NG is hard as hell like soul games and its less than a hack slash game like god of war.

you might like what going on in ng more with big boobys etc. but there is no way story telling in ng beats god of war. god just tells a better story.

True, NG has a high skill ceiling and is difficult. But it plays absolutely nothing like dark souls due to its movement, combos and aerial moves, we have speed in NG, wall running, double jumps and back flips. We have a jump button! NG still is much more of a hack n slash compared to souls-like games. New GoW went more of the dark souls route with the newest entry.

God of War is obviously inspired by dark souls compared to the previous titles, slower movement, no jump, parry block, dodge roll. So I disagree, god of war is not more of a hack n slash than NG. its like a mix between dark souls and hack n slash, but excels at neither one.

Story is subjective to the player, I found GoW story to be boring, did not care what happened, the serious tone i found to be out of place, I prefer the story and characters of GoW 3. Was much more exciting and over the top.

Its kind of like trying to decide if your in the mood to watch Face Off or Pride and Prejudice.

I just want to see Nicholas Cage act like a Phychopath and torment John Travolta.

Much like how i just want to watch kratos slaughter people with no regard, talking shit, having threesomes, and sacrificing the worlds population for his own selfish pride, more than watching him walk through the woods giving his son lessons on life. To each their own tho.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 3132 Posts

@jeezers said:
@gifford38 said:
@jeezers said:

True, NG has a high skill ceiling and is difficult. But it plays absolutely nothing like dark souls due to its movement, combos and aerial moves, we have speed in NG, wall running, double jumps and back flips. We have a jump button! NG still is much more of a hack n slash compared to souls-like games. New GoW went more of the dark souls route with the newest entry.

God of War is obviously inspired by dark souls compared to the previous titles, slower movement, no jump, parry block, dodge roll. So I disagree, god of war is not more of a hack n slash than NG. its like a mix between dark souls and hack n slash, but excels at neither one.

Story is subjective to the player, I found GoW story to be boring, did not care what happened, the serious tone i found to be out of place, I prefer the story and characters of GoW 3. Was much more exciting and over the top.

Its kind of like trying to decide if your in the mood to watch Face Off or Pride and Prejudice.

I just want to see Nicholas Cage act like a Phychopath and torment John Travolta.

Much like how i just want to watch kratos slaughter people with no regard, talking shit, having threesomes, and sacrificing the worlds population for his own selfish pride, more than watching him walk through the woods giving his son lessons on life. To each their own tho.

yes i prefer face off loved that movie lol. but I do like the new kratos more as a character even though i loved the old god of war games as well. its his beard and more mature look that make him so badass in the new ones.

its hard to explain what makes him so badass in the new one over the old games. its like he is more calm as a god than he was trying to become that god. slower but more brute force. like he knows his power and how to balance it more.

i think after god of war 3 the games started to feel stale like every over done series. so the new god of war was a fresh new start.