Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

although im not really a fan of prince of persia but i feel bad for this series and fans. ubisoft killed this franchise in a favor of rehashing assassins creed. same reason ubisoft killed splinter cell for rehashing far cry over and over again.

as for POP series. i think the original sands of time was only good one i guess. its sequels suck and POP08 is one of the worst game ever made. too easy and cartoonish game where you cant die.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
Member since 2018 • 557 Posts

POP still miles better than any METRO,STALKER,DEUS EX and DOOM.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ghosts4ever

@carljohnsoncj said:

POP still miles better than any METRO,STALKER,DEUS EX and DOOM.

ok. now can we not derailed this thread from now? and move on to discussion rather than going offtopic?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Now we have Assassins Creed, the spiritual successor, if the series was really shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Prince of Persia Warrior Within is still my most played game. I wish this game had a remaster or remake.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46270 Posts

The PS2-era games are so good. IMHO the Sands of Time is one of the best platformers ever made, and I only ever finished it like a few years ago. Still holds up.

I also had the original POP game on gameboy, lol.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:

The PS2-era games are so good. IMHO the Sands of Time is one of the best platformers ever made, and I only ever finished it like a few years ago. Still holds up.

apparently its sequels just suck and feel rushed because they released them in next consecutive years as a result they feel like weak expansions.

but yeah i kinda liked original SOT. warrior within was very out of place as they try to make edgy and didnot worked. two thrones was forgettable.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k  Online

@ghosts4ever said:

apparently its sequels just suck and feel rushed because they released them in next consecutive years as a result they feel like weak expansions.

but yeah i kinda liked original SOT. warrior within was very out of place as they try to make edgy and didnot worked. two thrones was forgettable.

Warrior Within took a nosedive when it comes to its characters and story compared to The Sands of Time, but it has way better combat and the platforming is on point as expected.

I never finished the Two Thrones because for some reason it refuses to work on my PC.

I enjoyed the final two POP games, but after the sands of time it's like Ubisoft had no real idea on where to take the series next.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

If you ask me, Sands of Time is the only platformer since Mario 64 to come anywhere close to pushing the genre forward. The genre was dying so they had to put some combat in there, but plaforming still felt like the main focus. I get why people complain that it never really innovated much after that, but this is a genre I just don't seem to get sick of. Whole series is great, even the Wii version of Forgotten Sands.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

The Sands of Time was the only Prince of Persia under Ubisoft that had Jordan Mechner's involvement, and seeing all attempts after it, it's readily apparent. TSoT is so far and above its sequels it's laughable. Unfortunately, as Ubi said all their games from now on will include MTs I've no hope for the franchise nor would even care to see it brought back to life under such circumstances. Frankly, if Mechner's not involved then I'm in no way interested. It is his baby, and it's his vision that brings the feeling of wonder, magic, and innocence to the series. That’s vital as that’s what makes PoP so incredible to begin with.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k  Online

@judaspete said:

If you ask me, Sands of Time is the only platformer since Mario 64 to come anywhere close to pushing the genre forward. The genre was dying so they had to put some combat in there, but plaforming still felt like the main focus. I get why people complain that it never really innovated much after that, but this is a genre I just don't seem to get sick of. Whole series is great, even the Wii version of Forgotten Sands.

What are the best platformers from this gen?

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

Enjoyed sands of time on 360 but also enjoyed prince of Persia 3D on dreamcast when everyone hated it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

Sands of Time was a great action, puzzle, platformer and I'd love to see more of it. But why would they do that when they can just put another AC or FarCry skin out, sell them as new games, and earn millions? Bye bye, PoP.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:

Sands of Time was a great action, puzzle, platformer and I'd love to see more of it. But why would they do that when they can just put another AC or FarCry skin out, sell them as new games, and earn millions? Bye bye, PoP.

5 bucks say next splinter cell will be another AC/far cry clone..

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

TBH I never considered POP to be that great and the more recent games were garbage IMO. I somewhat enjoyed the older 2D games for their time because they offered a different type of platforming game like Flashback did, but I doubt I would like playing them again today.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Litchie
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

Probably. They have turned their whole studio into a checklist clone game studio. I doubt they have any talent left with original ideas and just focus on shitting out those AC and FarCry games as quick as they can. I don't trust Ubisoft to ever make a good PoP or Splinter Cell again. If they try, it will be with their new checklist clone game-staff who can't do anything else, and wont come close to the previous games in the series. I'd rather have Ubisoft not even try.

It's a damn shame, cause once upon a time I was a big Ubisoft fan. Then AC happened.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

@Litchie: AC was great, it’s the 27 same games that makes it bad...

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

Probably. They have turned their whole studio into a checklist clone game studio. I doubt they have any talent left with original ideas and just focus on shitting out those AC and FarCry games as quick as they can. I don't trust Ubisoft to ever make a good PoP or Splinter Cell again. If they try, it will be with their new checklist clone game-staff who can't do anything else, and wont come close to the previous games in the series. I'd rather have Ubisoft not even try.

It's a damn shame, cause once upon a time I was a big Ubisoft fan. Then AC happened.

blame AC2 success. its success is what made every game into AC clone. then far cry 3 success further open the door for every open world game.

splinter cell was long ruined before AC happened.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

You know, a game series does not need to keep going. It can simply...retire. In fact, I wish more game series would be retired.

Was PoP actually killed off? Or did it just simply walk into the annals of gaming history with grace?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Litchie
@mrbojangles25 said:

You know, a game series does not need to keep going. It can simply...retire. In fact, I wish more game series would be retired.

Was PoP actually killed off? Or did it just simply walk into the annals of gaming history with grace?

Imo, PoP was changed into AC. They took PoP, dumbed down the platforming, made it more actiony and made it into a checklist open world game.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I loved the original, and Sands of Time (which is free to play, by the way for those who missed it).

All the other games not so much. I know Prince of Persia 3D was not regarded as a great game but at the time I did enjoy it. (This may be because I did not have a NES/SNES: Prince of Persia was the first beloved game that I saw evolve into 3D so I may have been more forgiving.) Much like I did enjoy the movie. (I had no expectations going in but I think it's one of the more enjoyable game-movies.) The sequels to Sands of Time went too far away from the Persian mystery and puzzles for me, and started to focus too much on flashy combat. Much like the Tomb Raider series. (And any attempts at giving the Prince of Persia a 'cool kid' personality were lost on me. I think any cutscene in a PoP game establishing a personality for the Prince or story exposition through dialogue... is tricky to do without it becoming cringy.)

Somehow, I have never played The Forgotten Sands.

My expectations for Prince of Persia are in that sense the same as my expectations for Tomb Raider: I don't expect them to ever make another game that I would enjoy, and I have sort of made peace with that.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 judaspete

@R4gn4r0k said:
@judaspete said:

What are the best platformers from this gen?

I'd say Mario Odyssey, A Hat in Time, and Mirror's Edge Catalyst. I haven't played Yuka Lele because it got mixed reviews, but I do plan to check it out at some point since it's grown a following. I also think ReCore looks neat, but haven't gotten around to it either.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 R4gn4r0k  Online

@judaspete said:

I'd say Mario Odyssey, A Hat in Time, and Mirror's Edge Catalyst. I haven't played Yuka Lele because it got mixed reviews, but I do plan to check it out at some point since it's grown a following. I also think ReCore looks neat, but haven't gotten around to it either.

Yooka Laylee is fine, but don't expect anything more than a 3D collectathon.

A hat in time is something I got my eye on. Mirror's Edge Catalyst is something I've enjoyed a lot and I still have to finish the Mario & Donkey Kong games on Wii U, haha

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 judaspete

@R4gn4r0k said:
@judaspete said:

Yooka Laylee is fine, but don't expect anything more than a 3D collectathon.

A hat in time is something I got my eye on. Mirror's Edge Catalyst is something I've enjoyed a lot and I still have to finish the Mario & Donkey Kong games on Wii U, haha

I've heard nothing but good things about Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, the only reason I haven't played it is I generally prefer 3D platformers. Will have to check it out at some point though. I'm also hoping they port Mario 3D Land to Switch because I never got a Wii U.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

More people should play Forgotten Sands. It has better platforming then SoT. The story and combat are meh, but the platforming is worth the price of admission.

If Beyond Good and Evil can get a sequel, there's hope for a new PoP sometime down the line. I wish there were some indie devs who would try to make something similar.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

PoP was never good. It was a poor mans GoW.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#29 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Sands of Time was so damn good. Holy shit

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#30  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

@Litchie said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Imo, PoP was changed into AC. They took PoP, dumbed down the platforming, made it more actiony and made it into a checklist open world game.

Yeah, POP was definitely evolved into AC. To be fair, it's 2019 and AC has been milked to hell and it sucks. But Back in 2008 we were all fucking amped for Assassin's Creed

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#31 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: Agreed. Sands of Time is one of the best 3D platformers ever made. The two sequels were great too (and somewhat underrated). It's sad to see something so unique like POP get replaced with something so generic like AC.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#32 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@Litchie: In fact, AC was originally intended to be a POP spin-off, before it eventually became its own separate series. It was the success of AC2 and the failure of POP '08 that killed POP.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ghosts4ever

@Jag85 said:

@Litchie: In fact, AC was originally intended to be a POP spin-off, before it eventually became its own separate series. It was the success of AC2 and the failure of POP '08 that killed POP.

Loading Video...

yeah this was going to be prince of persia game originally changed into new ip. it was called prince of persia assassins.