GUILTY GEAR XRD SIGN OFFICIALLY COMING WEST For PS3 and PS4

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By slaves
Member since 2004 • 1443 Posts

Guilty Gear Xrd SIGN is coming to North America, and will be available this fall for both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. The game will be localized and published by Aksys, a publisher with a proud lineage of bringing niche Japanese titles to western players. The status of its release in other western territories, including Europe, is still unknown.

According to Aksys, Guilty Gear Xrd SIGN will retain some of the franchise's signature systems, such as Roman Cancels, but that many of these systems have been "significantly expanded and improved." Arc System Work's beautiful 2D art and animations will again be a focal point of the game, and Daisuke Ishiwatari, long-time Guilty Gear composer, is again in charge of the soundtrack.

For more info check the Linky

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Cool for the fledgling PS4 library especially. I might check it out.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

Can you say awesome? Will get it for ps4.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

This game has some of the most Unique Fighting Styles in any fighting....... It also the most Artificial Balancing Mechanics I've ever Seen. Everthing from Roman Cancels to GreenBlocking to Progressive Gravity.

So when is it coming to PC ?

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I'm interested but after playing Persona 4 Arena my hype went down because these guys have no compassion for pad players. And I'm not in the mood of shelling out $150+ for a stick and then spend weeks/months in getting used it to then start learning the freaking game. It's just too much work!

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulu_Lulu

Also the Interplay seems limited

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lulu_Lulu

@Gue1

I hate it when Fighting Game developers do this.... Its an Artificial Barrier, a poor attempt at raisin the Skill Floor.

I don't yet have an accurate Short hand for describing when a Game is more about fighting with the Controls than with your opponent.... In most of these types of games.... When Players are evenly matched and the loser is the guy who slips up a single frame 1st.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Even though it's not exclusive to PS4, it's nice to finally see a fighting game on that system, finally. PS4 lacking in genres.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu

@gago-gago

I thought PS4 got the Ultimate edition of Injustice a long time ago.....

slaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By slaves

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@gago-gago

I thought PS4 got the Ultimate edition of Injustice a long time ago.....

Yeah it did. I wish the dot.hack// fighting game would come west. I've thought about importing but I wouldn't know what was going on lol

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@slaves

Thats from the same developers as Naruto right ? CyberConnect2

What is this game about ? How do you play it?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lulu_Lulu

Never mind... Just googled it and say it was an RPG..... Not Interested !

slaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By slaves

@Lulu_Lulu Yeah its from CC2. I'm not sure what the story is with the fighting game lol. I just loved the dot.hack// PS2 games and they were action RPG's set in a "MMORPG" game that was attacked by corrupt AI. The fighting game has a lot of the characters from the Animes and the PS2 games.

Nevermind I saw your post LOL. Not a RPG fan?

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Coo. I cant wait to play it.PS4 for me.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Meh.. I have their other GG games on my PS3 and XBox 360. There's no rush to get this game. I'll pass. There will be better games to get at the end of this year.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

AW YEAH, HERE WE GO, PEDAL TO THE METAL, DAY 1!

Let's rock!

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

So when are they going to announce new characters for the console versions?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@slaves

I'm actually not a fan of Stats, I like my gameplay to be as organic as possible.... RPGs just are the exact opposite. They put barrier after barrier seperating me from the gameplay as much as possible.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu:

It's not an artificial barrier, ArcSys fighters are based in the arcades. The game is designed with an arcade stick in mind, but that doesn't make it impossible to use a standard pad. People have decent success on them, and I know of a few I-no/Eddie (hardest characters in the game) that can do high level execution on them.

@Crazyguy105:

The IGN article said 15 characters, which is one more than the current arcade release. It's more than likely going to be Sin, since his model is in the game.

slaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 slaves

@Crazyguy105: They announced the new antagonist, Ramlethal Valentine. Not sure about any new playable characters

@Lulu_Lulu: Totally understandable

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lulu_Lulu

@OneSanitarium

The Problem with Fighting games designed for fight sticks is the barrier comes in the form of an extremely short Execution Window....

Some moves require you to rotate the stick upwards, they'l have a frame limit for this... Move the stick in few than... Lets say 15 frames and the character will register the move and execute.... However if it takes you more than 15 frames then the move doesn't register and your character will jump instead, leaving their genitals wide open for a raging dragon punch. Ouch !

I find this unacceptable since it emphasizes that speed is everything.....

In Dead or Alive (designed for controllers) the move and combo execution window is much longer (its not as forgiving but it is longer atleast).... Because the game's hold sytem punishes players who try to impatiently barrage their way to victory....

However those people who do have fightsticks will have a faster execution times than people with controllers but thats not an advantage, and those who don't can still compete, more of your concentration and attention goes towards engaging your opponent instead of executing your moves. In DoA you don't get "decent success".... The moves stick on the first try..... Go to practice mode and check it out..... The command training for all the characters only takes 5 minutes each.... It only takes 10 minutes to learn the controls and 24 hours to master them. Yet its no less deeper than the most challenging of fighting games.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DarkLink77

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@OneSanitarium

The Problem with Fighting games designed for fight sticks is the barrier comes in the form of an extremely short Execution Window....

Some moves require you to rotate the stick upwards, they'l have a frame limit for this... Move the stick in few than... Lets say 15 frames and the character will register the move and execute.... However if it takes you more than 15 frames then the move doesn't register and your character will jump instead, leaving their genitals wide open for a raging dragon punch. Ouch !

I find this unacceptable since it emphasizes that speed is everything.....

In Dead or Alive (designed for controllers) the move and combo execution window is much longer (its not as forgiving but it is longer atleast).... Because the game's hold sytem punishes players who try to impatiently barrage their way to victory....

However those people who do have fightsticks will have a faster execution times than people with controllers but thats not an advantage, and those who don't can still compete, more of your concentration and attention goes towards engaging your opponent instead of executing your moves. In DoA you don't get "decent success".... The moves stick on the first try..... Go to practice mode and check it out..... The command training for all the characters only takes 5 minutes each.... It only takes 10 minutes to learn the controls and 24 hours to master them. Yet its no less deeper than the most challenging of fighting games.

This argument is stupid because there are professional Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, etc players that use pads and play high execution characters. It's not impossible. It's just harder, because you don't have the ability to use all of your fingers to execute commands on a pad unless you're using a claw grip.

I say this as someone who can do fairly complex shit in both Guilty Gear and Street Fighter without using a stick or a claw grip. It's all about timing and muscle memory.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By OneSanitarium

That's the kind of leniency you don't want for a fighting game though. 15f do a simple motion is more than enough time, and some games have it register for sometimes even longer. Guilty Gear has 90% easy inputs for every characters, some of harder inputs than others, but overall nothing is too hard.
Having certain inputs buffer/store the input of the move for too long can cause overlaps of what you want to do. Crouching and trying to walk forward and end up getting a special move way beyond when you think a special move would be read would be silly. And I don't think games being designed for sticks makes them any tighter in expectational speed requirements. Being unable to input simple moves in 15f isn't the fault of the developer, its the fault of the player for not practicing it enough. If you couldn't do it that time anyway, you would probably be unable to fully fighting someone else. 15 frames is actually a long time.

Buffer times, which are pretty goddamn long in some games (DOA has a pretty large built in buffer IIRC) make it so you can do tight timing things without having to time them down to the exact frame. BlazBlue and P4U have sizable buffers, nothing too large, but big enough to remove some some 1f things. GG has a 1F input buffer built into it, but that isn't really enough to remove any form of hard execution. I would be confident in saying Xrd probably has a slightly larger one.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@DarkLink77

Good for you.... And how many controllers have you blown through executing these high skill manouvres ?

If you're as good as you think you are then its atleast 2.....

My Controller wasn't designed for such strenous button mashing and stick flicking.... If you go to one those arcade machines, 1st thing you'l realise is the stem of the stick is made from a thick piece of steel..... Atleast thats how the Street Fighter 2 and KoF 98 machines are here in my country..... They had to use metal because those jack asses designed their games to be played mercilously and agressively.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By OneSanitarium

You shouldn't be breaking controllers unless you're really abusing them. Even some of the hardest execution I know isn't enough to destroy a standard controller unless you're almost literally breaking your controller trying to do it. Have a touch of elegance.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DarkLink77

@OneSanitarium said:

That's the kind of leniency you don't want for a fighting game though. 15f do a simple motion is more than enough time, and some games have it register for sometimes even longer. Guilty Gear has 90% easy inputs for every characters, some of harder inputs than others, but overall nothing is too hard.

Having certain inputs buffer/store the input of the move for too long can cause overlaps of what you want to do. Crouching and trying to walk forward and end up getting a special move way beyond when you think a special move would be read would be silly. And I don't think games being designed for sticks makes them any tighter in expectational speed requirements. Being unable to input simple moves in 15f isn't the fault of the developer, its the fault of the player for not practicing it enough. If you couldn't do it that time anyway, you would probably be unable to fully fighting someone else. 15 frames is actually a long time.

Buffer times, which are pretty goddamn long in some games (DOA has a pretty large built in buffer IIRC) make it so you can do tight timing things without having to time them down to the exact frame. BlazBlue and P4U have sizable buffers, nothing too large, but big enough to remove some some 1f things. GG has a 1F input buffer built into it, but that isn't really enough to remove any form of hard execution. I would be confident in saying Xrd probably has a slightly larger one.

Well said, OneSan old son.

Seriously, tight timings really aren't that hard, or that frequent. It just requires practice.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DarkLink77

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@DarkLink77

Good for you.... And how many controllers have you blown through executing these high skill manouvres ?

If you're as good as you think you are then its atleast 2.....

My Controller wasn't designed for such strenous button mashing and stick flicking.... If you go to one those arcade machines, 1st thing you'l realise is the stem of the stick is made from a thick piece of steel..... Atleast thats how the Street Fighter 2 and KoF 98 machines are here in my country..... They had to use metal because those jack asses designed their games to be played mercilously and agressively.

Um.... none, because I don't smash my controllers to bits when I use them. I don't slam in my inputs. I do them calmly, precisely, and as OneSan said, elegantly. You should never break a controller attempting an input in a fighting game.

it's really not that hard to do. Do your sticks get looser over time? Sure. Break entirely? No. You shouldn't be so aggressive, brah.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lulu_Lulu

@OneSanitarium

Leniency is only an issue if your game is about attacking endlessly throughout a single macth, its only an issue if it involves 50 hit juggles leaving the victim absolutely no way to defend themselves.... Basically its only an Issue if the game is unbalanced. I mentioned earlier that Guilty Gear has a lot of "Artificial Balancing Mechanics" theres all sorts of statistical or technical corrective measures put in place to keep the game balanced as opposed to DoA, theres no guard break meters, no supers, no progressive gravity, no Exc-Guage and Ex-Moves, etc..... It only has one Artificial Balancing mechanic... The Power Blow, you only get one and its only availble if your health dips below 50% and you can make a comeback without it, being behind doesn't leave you worse off like it does in othe fighting games especially the ones that fill up the super guage from executing moves.... If you got your ass pummeled then your super guage will be bone dry and your opponent will have the advantage, its called a slippery slope, the further behind you are, the more likely you'l loose, between two skilled players the 1st hit can easily decide the match because of this one sided design.

FYI I can execute moves quickly.... The demand is just way too high for my controllers to handle.... I'm not gona kill my toys just to be the best.......

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@DarkLink77

DiRT 3 and 2 are my precision games.... A slightly loose left stick affects my perfomance drastically, my brother mistreated his controller, I couldn't play DiRT at his place because of this...... I still have have to use the thing for other games you know. Bayonetta's Angel Attack also requires the left stick to aim (can't be remapped) its going to be difficult to hit moving targets if the stick is alil iffy.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Don't know when I'm gonna get a PS4 so odds are I may get both versions.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 OneSanitarium

With that post, you show you have no idea what you're talking about in regards to Guilty Gear. I'll try to nip this in the bud as best I can.

Don't say something is an 'Artificial Balancing Mechanic', especially when it has nothing to do with balancing the game out. Bursts in the game are a form of comeback mechanic, but they really aren't. You don't get them for losing, and they aren't there to balance the game out. It's just an option. It can be baited, punished, or even used offensively. Supers are also not a form of comeback mechanic, not by default anyway. You earn more meter for winning and being on the offensive, even using smart defense. The only real instance of a comeback mechanic super is Sol Badguy's dragon install lasting a little longer if he has lower health, which is no longer the cast in Xrd.

Gravity is more of an infinite prevention mechanic. DOA is not without this either, otherwise there would be tons of infinites in that game. Gravity in GG only stands to try and prevent somewhat absurd loops, but overall, it's not the main combo scaling mechanic anyway. Also, I don't know what made you think GG has a guard break mechanic. It doesn't. If you're talking about the guard gauge (renamed RISC Guage in Xrd), that isn't what that represents. THAT is the damage scaling of the game. It doesn't visually show it in Xrd though, but every hit drops it lower and lower, and each hit potentially does less damage. When it's above its neutral point, it waits until it goes below to start damage scaling, which is why good offense is scary if it can raise it high.

What are the balancing mechanics of GG? Guts, taking a certain percent of maximum damage after certain intervals of health loss. Defense modifiers, which show how much base damage a character can take (which is very character specific.) Gravity and pushback can come into play as well, but these are just the COMBO balancing mechanics. Guilty Gear is a game balanced through meaningful options among the characters. Meaningful options, you know, that thing that equates to actual depth? Characters all have fundamental AND unique tools for many situations, honed after many years of play and developer insight. Comebacks in GG are 99% skill based, as good reads and fundamentals can take you far, especially in a momentum based game like Guilty is.

Also, about leniency again; Leniency is more than just that, and it can be used on both sides of offense and defense, as well as at neutral. Saying it's only an issue if a game is imbalanced...makes no sense. Why did I visit GS again...

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DarkLink77

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@DarkLink77

DiRT 3 and 2 are my precision games.... A slightly loose left stick affects my perfomance drastically, my brother mistreated his controller, I couldn't play DiRT at his place because of this...... I still have have to use the thing for other games you know. Bayonetta's Angel Attack also requires the left stick to aim (can't be remapped) its going to be difficult to hit moving targets if the stick is alil iffy.

Well, sticks are going to get loose from years of use no matter what, so it's kind of a moot point.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lulu_Lulu

@DarkLink77

Got my Controllers in 2011.... Other than a Busted Rumble motor and unresponsive stick button (different controllers). My controllers are just as they were when I got'em..... I'm gentle with my preciousses. My friends hate when I tell them what they can and cannot do when They use my controllers.... But if thats what it takes to keep my toys alive then they can Suck it up.......

Safety first people !

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@slaves: Just saw the opening , im sold !!! I dont own a PS3/4 though!! Damn!

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@OneSanitarium

I was actually talking about Guilty Gear XX and that was a long time ago. I never stuck withit long enough to know exactly how it worked so you'l forgive my exaggerations right ?

Anyway the slippery slope I was referring , I was talking about other fighting games, not Guilty Gear... I already mentioned Artificial Balancing..... The key word being Balance.... I never though Guilty Gear was imbalanced..... I just said the mechanics put in place are artificial.... Theres alot of resuorces to keep track of compared to Dead or Alive.... In DoA, Nothing is limited, any move can be performed repeatedly yet still the game remains balanced, and Dead or Alive doesn't have progressive gravity, its static, you'l always fall at the same speed..... The victim will eventually fall because theres no combo exploitable enough to sustain an infinite Juggle, the most damage I've nailed in a juggle was 30%, also falling doesn't make you invulnerable you can still get your ass creamed whilst lying on the floor (I know, Disgusting right ? Lol), Guilty Gear has progressive gravity because they DO have moves that are easily exploitable so they needed to scale the intensity of the gravity to the severity of the juggle.... Skilled players with quick fingers will milk the living hell out of this as much as they can before the victim eventually falls, see the difference... In DoA it was never an issue in the first place, theres a clear and definate limit on the juggle. but in Guilty Gear they had to include a counter measure for a scenario they realised could be exploited and the limit is flexibla depending on the player. Nothing is "just optional" in a fighting game, everything is on a scale, every tiny little detail is a balancing act.

GUilty Gear maybe Balanced and Skill Based but your options depend on the state of your resources avalilable to your character.... The Super Guage, the modifiers, etc, literally anything that scales or limits the effeciency of your moves, in DoA its only the power blow. Everything stays constant, all your moves are available to you with the same risks and rewards that they've always had before.

Thats The Difference between Artificial Balance and norm Balance. It shows when a developer is merely patching something. Infact I'l simplify that and say anything with a limit on it from supers to guards is Artificial Balancing.... Kinda like Dark Souls Stamina Guage. Or Final Fantasy's ATB gauge. Its quite obvious the developers need to force the game to be fair... They overlooked something and so they need to put a band aid on it.... Don't get me wrong, "band aid" in this context work just fine because the issue is minor and the "patch" fixes the problem. But a Corrective measure thats this abstract is not natural....

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 OneSanitarium

Your opinions on this concept of 'artificial balancing' make absolutely no sense. You don't seem to understand trade offs...or reasons of things. It's not artificial to make something really good and prevent it from being used constantly. Games with separate meters reward you for filling them by earning new options, and those options are allowed to be better than the average ones you would without the gauges being filled. Things LIKE Souls stamina gauge, or FF ATB aren't artificial balancing. They're absolute balancing. Being able to attack constant, or run forever in DkS would be ridiculous, the game is designed to ask for the player to make decisions based on what resources he has. Waiting is a part of the FF gameplay. Enemies can act before you do, sometimes multiple times if it's a high level boss. If you didn't have to wait it would just be a constant barrage of attacks, from either side, because it wanted to be more action based than a standard turn based system. But wait, I'm sure having turns in a turn based system is artificial balance too, right? I mean, why can't you just act all the time, non stop?

GG is balanced because there are always options a character has, even without meter. It's a fighting game, so a goal is to shut off as many of those options as you can, but characters can pretty much always do something. And no, I don't think the DOA thing is disgusting. Force Techs in DOA5 are cool because they give you a stronger sense of offense, rather than giving the opponent a chance to get off the floor. Also, GG isn't a long combo game. Are there long combos? Yes. Are they the center of average gameplay? Hell no. Guilty Gear is about scoring a knockdown, getting what damage you can, and making them get up into a bad situation so you can do potentially even more damage.

I'm done talking about this, you're spouting absolute nonsense at this point, and it seems to be because you don't want trade offs for anything. Your concept about artificial balancing doesn't apply to anything you think it does, and you compare it to DOA5 because it's a game based around minimal resource management, when that's just how it's designed. As are EVERYTHING you say is artificial balancing.

Here's a DOA5U kill combo for you. You can't use every environmental hazard

------

On topic once again, for people who want to see some current gameplay, Goldenrody uploads Xrd pretty regularly.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lulu_Lulu

@OneSanitarium

Damn that Was Brutal, I've been beaten with one of those several times. I noticed the the victim never initiated a hold, not even once.... He had 3 chances to this before getting launched, he missed every single one and was hit with a critical burst, after that he was launched into air, at this point your completely helpless..... Until you hit the floor again, again he had one last chance to hold her next attack and missed it....... No biggie though, this is the purpose of a best 2 out three match, if you pay attention to how you got your ass creamed then you'l know which holds to use in round two, its why you shouldn't play your hand so early in a fight.

Anyway as I said, theres no limits in DOA, you have full access to you most dangerous moves at all times, the difference is its up to you to turn the tables.... If that was me in the fight, wouldve won the 2nd round (as I've done many times before). The key to DoA is Metagaming.... The triangle system remincent of Rock Paper Scissors is more important and usefull than anymove in the game. On the 1st round its completely Random, on the Second Round its Metagaming. The 1st round sets the baseline and the 2nd tests what you've learned and what your opponent has learned about you.

Yes you can Spam an Endless Barrage of Attacks but thats just setting the baseline for whats gonna get you beat in round 2 and round 3 since the victim learns the Patterns and the winner learns nothing. I learned this along time ago in Mortal Kombat, i use to use a bunch of predictable moves and my brother punished for it. He knew exactly how to play me. And thats how fighting games should be.... Your focus should be on your opponent, not the games's hud, not on any modifiers, multiplyers or guages. Same apllies to Dark Souls and yes even Final Fantasy.... Turn Based games are a different story.

You should have full access to your most dangerous moves and your opponent should have viable means to counter every single one of those moves. This is how interplay works.... And as players adapt and learn they'l setttle into a natural back and forth, like two strangers playing Rock Paper Scissors, after the baseline is set then deep strategies occur with in the minds of the competitors. After all, throwing down a hand is easy, theres no conditions or limits, you pick a symbol and you put it down. DoA is the Rock Paper Scissors of fighting games. The Double blind is necessary to allow interplay, as the game can get one sided very quickly when theres no mystery.

Artificial Balance is very real and Guilt Gear uses it to keep things fair. Like I said, its, real and it works, but the countermeasures are mostly synthetic/artificial/technical, the word doesn't really matter, does it make difference..... ? Well.... That part I don't know yet.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#38  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Cool stuff...while I never really got into this series, it's one I respect from what I've heard , good game for the PS4 as it is lacking in that department now.

On a side note, it's interesting seeing Capcom asleep at the wheel, letting all these companies take chunks of the fighting game genre first. Not a single announcement for next gen as far as StreeT Fighter goes, I guess they are happy just updating last gen version but I'm suprised they didn't at least port something on next gen.....oh well, anyways not trying to derail here it's just something that pops up in my mind whenever I hear of a new fighting game on next gen

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 OneSanitarium

Jesus, stop saying artificial balance. The way you use it makes no sense. Artificial balance would be a form of balance that doesn't actually affect anything, some layer that doesn't have an actual, meaningful place where it stands. Guilty Gear's general system mechanics do not show any real resemblance to it, honestly. The only arbitrary thing in place would be the health modifiers. Characters have 420 health (460 in AC+R), and the combinations of Guts and defense modifiers can have potentially different health depending on what and when something hit on who, depending on the health remaining, and it can change pretty differently depending on the character. However, these are not entirely without reason.

Potemkin is a much slower, larger character than the others. While he has the options he needs to deal with faster/projectile heavy characters, he's still an overall easier to hit in some cases. Thus he takes overall less damage *his defense modifier is something like .86x in AC). Further modifiers exist in Guts, which makes characters take further reduced percentages of damage depending on what health they have left. Potemkin has a pretty good modifier, so he takes a lot less damage than some character. Chipp, on the other hand, is an incredibly fast, mobile character. He has the lowest health in the game as far as how much damage he takes from hits (1.3x the damage), but his Guts is some of the highest.

I think balance through health is silly, but it works pretty well in GG. Everyone technically has the same health, but takes different amounts of damage...effectively changing the maximum health a character has. Relatively arbitrary, or 'artificial' I suppose, but it works, and doesn't take much away from the game. It effects balance in a meaningful way at times as well.

To a degree, I can respect the notion of wanting a fight to be just the fight and nothing else. But having resource management adds to the things a person has to consider, and in some cases can add to more depth of decision. Resource building/spending, screen placement, damage, allowing for oki, these are all things you would have to consider. It can add to a much more meaningful or even satisfying experience through play by succesfully utilizing all you have through optimization and on-the-fly reaction to ever changing variables you can find within a single match. The lack of resources notion, however, makes very little sense when compared to DKS or FF. Removing the stamina bar from a Souls game removes the sense of commitment that would come from doing any action, in both PvE and PvP situations. If there was no risk of doing things, or no risk of expending the resources, combat in the game would become shallow. You could still have a focus of movement, but when it comes to attacks there would be no thought behind attacking. It would JUST be mindless offense without fear of over usage. For FF...well It just doesn't make sense because it's what makes its gameplay unique from a standard Turn Based RPG. Multiple FF games allow you to make it so the ATB waits for you to make options in the menu, making it less stressful and in some cases easier (IIRC the Ultima Weapon in FF8 could destroy you with Wait off and you not having perfect menu movement at all times)

Lastly, no. DOA is NOT the Rock Paper Scissors of fighting games. I like it's hold system, especially that you can have guaranteed situations, which it has strongly over Killer Instinct, but it's not unique in having an A>B>C>A situations. Every game has them in some form. King of Fighters has a very deep neutral game based around Hop attacks, standing attack, and low attacks. Hop beats lows. Lows beat standing. Standing beats Hops. Hop>Low>Standing>Hop. MANY (like all of them) 2D fighters have the whole, "Strike>Block>Throw>Strike" form of it going on, but in just about every case of RPS in fighters, DOA included, it's much deeper than an actual RPS situation.

This has been a funny little discussion, but we're really off topic at this point.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu:

Sir, I have it on good authority that @OneSanitarium is a fighting game guru. If he disagrees with you in this matter, you are clearly wrong. Please, cease and desist.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lulu_Lulu

@wolverine4262

Sorry. I'm not the zealous blind faith type....... But you go on ahead don't let me get in your way.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu:

Thanks, brah.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

"Artificial difficulty" is an uneducated way of saying "I'm awful at games."

In more related news, this is Unreal Engine, so I hope it doesn't end up running like shit on PS3.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

@blackace said:

Meh.. I have their other GG games on my PS3 and XBox 360. There's no rush to get this game. I'll pass. There will be better games to get at the end of this year.

TLHBO

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@syztem

Yeah that specific term doesn't apply to Fighting Games all that much...... The Community is not gona react kindly to Artificial Difficulty (usually common in Racing games) popping up in Fighting games so they give it a wide berth. Thats how more specific phrases like Artificial Balance come up....... I didn't coin the term you know..... Sirlin did..... I always wondered why I gravitated towards 3D fighters...... His blog give me some insight and Thats how I arrive to this conclusion.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By OneSanitarium

@Slashkice:

Slayer got in over Johnny, and Venom got in over Bridget. With Sin's model being in the game already, I would like to think Sin is most likely to be next in, followed by Johnny. Someone from ArcSys also said that, since Johnny and Zappa are picked a lot in AC+R, they have some priority as well.

Eventually, though, after a few revisions (which are welcome and will happen) every character will make a return, along with more new ones.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

@Alucard_Prime said:

good game for the PS4 as it is lacking in that department now.

Would love to hear your opinion on the Xbone then. Considering it has significantly less games.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DarkLink77

@OneSanitarium said:

@Slashkice:

Slayer got in over Johnny, and Venom got in over Bridget. With Sin's model being in the game already, I would like to think Sin is most likely to be next in, followed by Johnny. Someone from ArcSys also said that, since Johnny and Zappa are picked a lot in AC+R, they have some priority as well.

Eventually, though, after a few revisions (which are welcome and will happen) every character will make a return, along with more new ones.

Are sure of that? Because I thought they said they wanted to cut the cast down.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@Slashkice said:

This is going to be the first fighting game I get for my PS4, day 1 without a doubt.

Now give me mah Jam, Arc System Works plz

I want jam to :(