Guilty Gear Strived (9/10 IGN, 89 on MC)

St_Monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By St_Monica
Member since 2020 • 539 Posts

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-5/guilty-gear--strive-

Congrats to Arc System Works. I'm glad their amazing animations, gameplay and music are appreciated by critics. This also further strengthened PS4/PS5/PC as a home for fighting games.

Edit: more reviews are in, and now 89(PS5) / 84(PS4) on MC.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 12098 Posts

Congratulations to devs! Nicely done GG Strive lets keep the high scoring train momentum going!

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

User Lists: 0

#3 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 8925 Posts

It's also currently sitting at #1 on Steam Top Sellers. After the popularity of Dragon Ball FighterZ, I suspected Arc Systems Works might become a household name among PC FGC. I might be proved right.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 38510 Posts

If also on Xbox, GS 6.0 meta 67 confirmed. lol :P

WonderWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WonderWinner  Online
Member since 2021 • 1112 Posts

Another easy win for PS and PC. 😎

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 45754 Posts

Temped, but kind of awful of anime fighters and no crossplay.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 35271 Posts

Nice. Game looks fantastic and Arc System Works has been on quite the roll for some time now. Loved the Blazblue series and then Dragon Ball FighterZ. Shame that it isn’t on Xbox as I would love to play it now. Sadly it’ll have to wait until I can get a PS5.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 17225 Posts

Only concern is that some players are saying the game is too simply at times, or that characters feel very similar despite being very different. Kind of reminds me of vanilla SFV where every match felt like a normal/poke fest. I'm interested on this game but i may wait for some patches that no doubt, will get this game on the right track.

Still, is nice to see this franchise back on top.

St_Monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By St_Monica
@uninspiredcup said:

Temped, but kind of awful of anime fighters and no crossplay.

Well, the dev. at least says they're working on cross-play implementation in the future:

"There are many problems that need to be overcome before [cross-play] can be added to the game," said Katano [Director] in November. "At this time, we've decided not to implement cross-play on release. We are, however, looking into implementing it in the future.I hope you can support the game as we work towards cross-play implementation."

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup

@st_monica: Nice

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 20720 Posts

Enjoying it a lot, but it definitely feels vanilla.

Not too many changes from the last beta, main thing that stands out is the readjustment to the jump arcs. No proper combo trials, just a few interspersed in the mission mode to show character specific RC, wall break, etc. Still has the trash lobby system that NO ONE wants lol. Some characters still feel underdeveloped, crazy gap in options between a character like Sol and a character like Nago for example.

On the up side, their rollback implementation is the truth, haven't experienced a single spot of lag. And they've been clear about features/modes that didn't make the cut due to covid, but will be arriving soon.

It's a solid start, tons of potential to grow into something great.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 2946 Posts

This game is gonna rock. After recently enjoying VF5, I've decided to pickup this game and a fight stick.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 19146 Posts

Always good to see high rated fighters. It's a genre I've not sunk time in for decades. I miss the sf2 arcade days.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15 mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 1745 Posts

What a week for PS

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 uninspiredcup

@madsnakehhh said:

Only concern is that some players are saying the game is too simply at times, or that characters feel very similar despite being very different. Kind of reminds me of vanilla SFV where every match felt like a normal/poke fest. I'm interested on this game but i may wait for some patches that no doubt, will get this game on the right track.

Sold.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ConanTheStoner

Sure, Strive definitely takes many steps to reset to neutral more often, leading to more poking for advantage. Not gonna say it's good or bad, just different. Don't care for the wall break system so far, even if well intentioned. But the game is fresh, feelings could change.

Gut reaction, yeah I do prefer the flow of previous GGs, could happily stick with Rev2 or get into +R. Buuut, super early, lots of big changes, always takes time to see how stuff like that stacks up.

-

Completely disagree with that description of vanilla SFV tho lol.

That shit was fish for crush counter, pop vtrigger, melt health bar. Run oki/vortex guess-for-game finish. Fun in its own way, but extremely high pressure offense was the general flow. Poking to death would just mean that you and your opponent didn't know combos. Back then, could get destroyed off of two wrong guesses with some characters.

SFVs neutral n footsies matured a lot over the years. Extended hurtboxes in neutral leading to more punish opportunities, balancing towards more defensive approach. Significant scaling on CC combo starters and VT in combo routes, greatly reducing the tilted risk/reward of throwing them out randomly, leading to a more varied and interesting neutral game. And naturally less damage when they do land, so less absurd blowups and more room for interaction. Additional pushback on block, so the defender isn't forever smothered in blockstrings. And finally, the recent addition of Vshift. Splits the "rps" further on wakeup, while also allowing you to burn meter for an invincible back dash in neutral. Which in turn, less Vtrigger offense as they compete for the same bar.

All that to say, the normal/poke game is far more prevalent now seeing as much more of the game is spent in calculated neutral situations. And for the type of grounded footsies game that the series is known for, would argue that's a good thing.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 569 Posts

ARC is killing it recently

Sega on the other hand releases a 14 year old port of VF5 with some spit shine on it and sends it to PS+ to die. Because that's how much they care about the VF fanbase lmao

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NathanDrakeSwag  Online
Member since 2013 • 16393 Posts

@wonderwinner said:

Another easy win for PS and PC. 😎

Indeed. The only 2 relevant gaming platforms stay winning.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ConanTheStoner

Not really a win for those of us who actually play these games. Best thing we could hope for is for these games to release on all capable platforms, preferably with cross play.

Few fighting games put up big numbers to begin with. Only a small fraction of players, no matter the franchise, actually stick with it. A lot of the best fighting games basically release and die. Shit sucks, and could definitely be avoided.

If you're into fighting games, you want the player base to grow as much as possible. And if possible, you want all players in the same pool.

-

Speaking of ArcSys and GG specifically, this isn't some monster series. They should be doing everything they can to reach as many players as possible. It's like Platinum with their grudge against MS, really not in their best interest to pass up their platform.

The whole reason behind these radical changes in Strive is that ArcSys straight up felt they wouldn't be able to grow their fanbase lol.

I give zero shits about an Xbox, but would love for them to have access to this game.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 31925 Posts

Oh snap, Conan sighting. Let's relish this moment.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ConanTheStoner

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sakaiXx

St_Monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 St_Monica
@ConanTheStoner said:

Speaking of ArcSys and GG specifically, this isn't some monster series. They should be doing everything they can to reach as many players as possible. It's like Platinum with their grudge against MS, really not in their best interest to pass up their platform.

The whole reason behind these radical changes in Strive is that ArcSys straight up felt they wouldn't be able to grow their fanbase lol.

Yeah, I understand what you say. That said, ArcSys seems to be making various efforts to expand its user base, especially in the West. They have implemented rollback netcode, added English audio, are trying to implement cross-play (according to the dev), and are working with Bandai Namco as a publishing partner in the EU. These were not done for the previous GG series. Of course, as you say, it might be ideal for it to be released on all platforms.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SargentD

@st_monica said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

Yeah, I understand what you say. That said, ArcSys seems to be making various efforts to expand its user base, especially in the West. They have implemented rollback netcode, added English audio, are trying to implement cross-play (according to the dev), and are working with Bandai Namco as a publishing partner in the EU. These were not done for the previous GG series. Of course, as you say, it might be ideal for it to be released on all platforms.

fighter z did great and i feel a big reason it did is because its on everything

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11275 Posts

I just bought the Guilty Gear bundle on humble bundle I'm gonna play through it as I don't really know the story behind the series outside of Revelator 1/2.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 8855 Posts

@sargentd: A 14 year old port that people seem to be playing like crazy because it's on PS+ and it might be enough interest in the game for Sega to go forward with a sequel or total reboot of the franchise (which was the rumor last year). VF started losing footing in the west around VF3 as more flashy fighters were overtaking it (Tekken, Soul Caliber etc), hopefully this can renew interest in the franchise.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SargentD

@vfighter said:

@sargentd: A 14 year old port that people seem to be playing like crazy because it's on PS+ and it might be enough interest in the game for Sega to go forward with a sequel or total reboot of the franchise (which was the rumor last year). VF started losing footing in the west around VF3 as more flashy fighters were overtaking it (Tekken, Soul Caliber etc), hopefully this can renew interest in the franchise.

Its failed reasoning, it wont work, this port was sent out to die. SEGA is giving you the EXCUSE for giving you a port and not a new game. SEGA is lazy. This is Darkstalkers Resurrection all over again. "no we are not going to make a new game, we are going to re-release the old game again... even though the fans have been wanting a new game"

They had the same EXCUSE, "we are giving you the port of an old game to gauge excitement/interest"

But here's the thing.

The fanbase isn't going to care about the port, the port isn't going to sell, the port isn't going to succeed because its an old game people already have played. So when it doesn't do well... SEGA will use that as their excuse to not make a new VF...

this is Darkstalkers all over again, SEGA is some trash now, all they care about is sonic.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online

I decided to get the game Conan 😎

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 11691 Posts

Why do so many games skip xbox?

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 16886 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

Why do so many games skip xbox?

I don't know if that's the case but I notice mostly these are Japanese games so mostly they're on PlayStation and PC/Switch. And I don't need to tell you about the Japanese Xbox audience...

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sakaiXx

@joshrmeyer: nowadays? waiting for gamepass money.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 VFighter

@sargentd: Yawn... we're not talking Darkstalkers which has virtually zero presence in the west.

MadBoss80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MadBoss80
Member since 2017 • 50 Posts

I wish this was on Xbox.

MadBoss80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MadBoss80
Member since 2017 • 50 Posts

I wish this was on Xbox.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SolidGame_basic  Online

@madboss80: just get a PS5

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SargentD

@vfighter said:

@sargentd: Yawn... we're not talking Darkstalkers which has virtually zero presence in the west.

OK , just like virtua fighter lol This port will pull nobody from Tekken 7, DOA, FighterZ, MK11 and now you have Strive...

Plenty of fighting games right now, SEGA sent VF out to die. Also the netcode sucks... been playing it some and matches are inconsistent, wait times are bad, and random kicks. If its just a test to see if they WILL make a new VF. They set up the test to fail on purpose. They will blame the low excitement on people not wanting it, by giving them something nobody asked for.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 142 Posts

Whenever I get a PS5 going to scoop this up I don't really want to upgrade my PC right now just going to mainly play these type of games on PS5 if I ever find one.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blamix
Member since 2006 • 1429 Posts

Never played any guilty gear game. But i will definetely pick this up soon after R&C and Intergrade

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By VFighter

@sargentd: I've played 40 matches online, the vast majority of those have been rock solid with a few bad ones, but that's any online game I've ever played. You can't make up for the other person's shitty internet connection. The game, from what I've seen is doing well, I never have a problem finding a fight, it's always quick, the online is stable, I've seen a lot of YouTubers playing it, I'd say it's doing really well for being sent out to "die".

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 madsnakehhh

@uninspiredcup said:
@madsnakehhh said:

Sold.

Yuk ... thanks but no thanks.

Nothing against some good old footsies, but Vanilla SFV was bland and uninteresting. The only "hype" part with the poke fests where the shimmies. Other than that was pick Nash ... ¿profit?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By uninspiredcup

@madsnakehhh: TBH I came in later around S2. Not gameplay stopped me, the lack of content. Changed as the game evolved. But still has bullshit.

Can't fan of anime style fighters. Ain't got the reflexes, don't like heavy emphasis on combos and generally find them quite... visually busy. Like was playing Blazblue was a friend a year or two back and could barely follow what the **** was going on.

So yea, this seems abit more appealing.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 madsnakehhh

@uninspiredcup:

i got into SFV right at the start of S3 and i loved it ... but S1 was rough though.

I don't mind Anime fighters at all, i enjoy the over the top action and most of the time, you can get away with some basic stuff. Blazblue is ... well, yeah ... i loved Continuum Shift but things were getting crazy and harder with each revision, i didn't even got Chrono Phantasma because of how time consuming it is, so i get what you are saying.

About GG Strive, i love the new art style and the new gameplay style but i feel it is a few revisions way from being really good, as of now, it looks fine but it could be better. I bet that similar to SFV, by the time S2 begins, the game will be fantastic.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 58664 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

If also on Xbox, GS 6.0 meta 67 confirmed. lol :P

makes sense, you need to take away -25 for xbox