Gue1 uses bait! ...It fails! Discussion ensues!

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

EDIT BY DESMONIC. TC, please make a decente title. Last warning.

----_------------------

hahahaha

Why people that hate video games so much are the ones writing about it? It makes no sense. My theory is that they they are such crappy writers nobody else would hire them, I mean, game journalism is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to journalism. You don't even need any studies to become one, just have the right connections.

___ https://archive.is/GZ6ap

Rock Band 4 is doing a lot of the fun things you want it to doBy Colin Campbell on Jun 01, 2015 at 10:00a @ColinCampbellx

A few of my more effervescent, more gregarious, more alive colleagues in game journalism are on stage "rocking out" to The Killers. We are on the rooftop of a pricey hotel in Santa Monica, at a press event organized by Rock Band 4's developer and publisher Harmonix.

I'm standing at a safe distance, drinking fizzy water, eating puff pastry canapes and chatting to another colleague about politics in the Philippines. I'm having an OK time.

I'm supposed to be focusing my attention on Rock Band 4, but there's more chance of Ferdinand Marcos leaping onto that stage than there is of me mounting the boards, swinging a guitar strap around my neck and yelling "whooooooo."

I don't care about rock music. I dislike crowds and I dislike loud noises. I don't do public performances, excepting "Toastmasters" which I enjoy from time-to-time, along with half a dozen accountants, schoolteachers and self-improvement nutters.

Look, sometimes in this job you gotta cover games you don't really give a stuff about. I played some Guitar Hero ten years ago and I thought it was kinda stupid. This is not because rock star sims are stupid. It's a perfectly valid fantasy. It's just not my fantasy.

But I can tell from the people on stage, the fact that they are having fun and coming back for more, that Rock Band 4 has something to offer people who get together and enjoy each other and music and the whole rock-'n'-roll ethos. I'm jealous of their ability to enjoy this product.

If my grandmother, who does enjoy a good party, were here on this windswept hotel roof — instead of sitting in an old people's home in Manchester, watching Britain's Got Talent— she'd be up on stage, singing and yelling into the mic, mocking me for being a "boring old fart."

Some of the journos on stage are as old as I am and, frankly, no more rock-star-ish than a bag of spuds. This is a game for everyone. Except me.

All video games are stupid, of course. That whole thing of, 'you're not really shooting terrorists or winning the World Cup, you're just pressing buttons' is:

"patronizing and simplistic"---but every now and again you come across a game that has so little emotional connection to who you are that you end up standing there, gazing at the screen and saying "I'm just pressing buttons and my life has no meaning," to a slightly bemused PR person.

Seriously, from where do they hire these guys? I mean, that writing is on par with something you'd read on System Wars, except for some of the sjw lingo of-course, but man, this is how they want to grow the industry.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

That's not the intent of the article at all

It's shitty, but for other reasons

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

Correction, Polygon is stupid just like other gaming sites like Kotaku.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Man.... There's nothing like stating you're having an existential crisis about your career by using your career and a popular up-and-coming title as a platform to write about it...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

Moar like, Colin chump, ball.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

"Look, sometimes in this job you gotta cover games you don't really give a stuff about.I played some Guitar Hero ten years ago and I thought it was kinda stupid.This is not because rock star sims are stupid. It's a perfectly valid fantasy. It's just not my fantasy."

1. It's not a sim; it's a rhythm/music game.

2. The game is not about a fantasy.

3. dumbass

Do these people even remotely understand video games?

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

But why are people still giving them attention?????

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Jesus...I mean, I've had to review some pretty terrible games, but you never outright state that you don't give a shit...

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Don't give them more clicks and let them fall into obscurity.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

All part of the hipster edginess they try to project. Polygon doesn't think an article about videogames is worth publishing unless it's championing a cause, or relating to their struggles as parents, or as a springboard onto another subject entirely they're far more interested in. Must play great at the coffee houses, but I tired of it long ago.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gue1

@Minishdriveby said:

Man.... There's nothing like stating you're having an existential crisis about your career by using your career and a popular up-and-coming title as a platform to write about it...

That's the struggle of being a game journalist man. You play so many games you end up hating them and your audience too if they don't behave accordingly, aka, no dissent.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Like Kotaku, I don't even visit Polygon. They are shitty sites.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gue1

@SolidTy:

When it comes to games journalism Kotaku and Polygon are the face of this industry and that's what makes it so disappointing. But Hatred gave me hope, people know what's up, or at least PC gamers do.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

Yeah, video games can be pretty stupid, and that's absolutely fine.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15561 Posts

Why are people reading Polygon to find these articles in the first place?

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gue1

@Vaasman:

This shit is trending on social media bro.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Polygon knows they're terrible at this point I think.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#19  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Jesus Christ, some of you are dense, especially you Gue.

This is a pretty crap article, but the author did not say all video games are stupid. That statement was a sarcastic restatement of what other people say about video games. Check it out:

"All video games are stupid, of course. That whole thing of, 'you're not really shooting terrorists or winning the World Cup, you're just pressing buttons' is patronizing and simplistic but every now and again you come across a game that has so little emotional connection to who you are that you end up standing there, gazing at the screen and saying "I'm just pressing buttons and my life has no meaning," to a slightly bemused PR person."

Do you see the bolded statement? He's saying that the notion that video games are stupid because one is 'just pressing buttons' is what is simplistic and patronizing. However, every so often there's a game that is so banal that it does seem like merely pressing buttons. He's not actually saying that games are stupid.

Starting to wonder if too much game playing ruins people's reading comprehension.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

@Gue1 said:

@Vaasman:

This shit is trending on social media bro.

WTF!

The worst part of that picture isn't even the highlighted........... THE ROCK playing Jack Burton? GTFO. He better lose 150 lbs. and not be the main hero.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GreySeal9

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

"Look, sometimes in this job you gotta cover games you don't really give a stuff about.I played some Guitar Hero ten years ago and I thought it was kinda stupid.This is not because rock star sims are stupid. It's a perfectly valid fantasy. It's just not my fantasy."

1. It's not a sim; it's a rhythm/music game.

2. The game is not about a fantasy.

3. dumbass

Do these people even remotely understand video games?

Seriously, X_CAPCOM_X? This is not quite as bad as the TC's misinterpretation, but you're making yourself look like a) you can't comprehend basic concepts and b) the subtleties of the English language are largely lost on you. The writer of the article is simply saying that Guitar Hero allows one to indulge the fantasy of being a rock star. It's hardly a controversial claim.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

" Hey guys, guys! You know that subject and its fans that pay our salary and made us popular in the first place? LETS FUCKING SHIT ON THEM TO BE WITH THE COOL KIDS!!" @ Polygon.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GreySeal9

@Desmonic said:

" Hey guys, guys! You know that subject and its fans that pay our salary and made us popular in the first place? LETS FUCKING SHIT ON THEM TO BE WITH THE COOL KIDS!!" @ Polygon.

As I pointed out, the article didn't in any way say that games are stupid. The TC (and many other people it seems) misinterpreted it.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gue1

If Polygon were a car magazine haha

People are going bonkers with the dank memes.

And this one too:

Loading Video...

Best single thing that IGN has done in a long time.

*****Movie spoilers of-course*****

Loading Video...

-

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Desmonic  Moderator

@GreySeal9: Sure lets ignore all the other articles they made!

I'll grant you that I should have read this article (never on their damn website) and even responded in similar tone. For that I do apologize. However I don't regret that previous post.

Don't bother defending then dude. Its really not worth it. They'll find a way to make you regret it a few months later, as per usual. I wasnt against them a few years ago either. That changed and well before the whole GG thing to.

They and others have been running with this "too cool for you" attitude for some time. Its a shame but whatever "hate" they get is not unjustified at this point in time.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GreySeal9

@Desmonic said:

I'll grant you that I should have read this article (never on their damn website) and even responded in similar tone. For that I do apologize. However I don't regret that previous post.

Don't bother defending then dude. Its really not worth it. They'll find a way to make you regret it a few months later, as per usual. I wasnt against them a few years ago either. That changed and well before the whole GG thing to.

They and others have been running with this "too cool for you" attitude for some time. Its a shame but whatever "hate" they get is not unjustified at this point in time.

This is the only Polygon article I've ever read and I've never been on the website before. I'm not so much defending Polygon (I even said that the article is crap overall) as calling out the TC for his ridiculous reading comprehension fail. Not only that but he highlighted and bolded things in such a way as to be misleading.

The article simply does not say what the TC said it does and I think that should be pointed out even if Polygon is a horrible website overall.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GreySeal9

@GreySeal9 said:
@Desmonic said:

This is the only Polygon article I've ever read and I've never been on the website before. I'm not so much defending Polygon (I even said that the article is crap overall) as calling out the TC for his ridiculous reading comprehension fail. Not only that but he highlighted and bolded things in such a way as to be misleading.

The article simply does not say what the TC said it does and I think that should be pointed out even if Polygon is a horrible website overall.

Actually, come to think of it: don't misleading threads usually get locked?

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@Desmonic: This isn't really about defending polygon. What I see in here is rabid, unmindful responses to a thought provoking article. The article inadvertently criticizes the industry's way of appealing to games journalists and also how fickle video games really are... Why get all worked up about it? If I were some random person who didn't know anything about what Polygon has written about in the past, I would frankly have taken their side here. The issue I have is with their coverage is the constant theme of criticizing non-existent misogynist and racist trends, which doesn't seem to be prevalent here.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Gue1

@GreySeal9:

This is the like 3rd time I make you this question.

Why are you so upset?

I've been posting this kind of shit for years and today you woke up off your bed and decided that you were gonna become my new stalker? Because man I already have mems, zero and god chasing me around this board, I don't feel my capabilities are enough to handle a 4th one let alone a 5th one seeing how things are going down with the freak.

At the end of the day you have no argument bro, you're just spinning because you're mad. The author is leaking special snowflake you know and you're triggered by your own wrongness.

Some of the journos on stage are as old as I am and, frankly, no more rock-star-ish than a bag of spuds. This is a game for everyone.

Except me.

Don't you see the fucking melodrama?

-

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GreySeal9

@Gue1 said:

@GreySeal9:

Why are you so upset?

I've been posting this kind of shit for years and today you woke up off your bed and decided that you were gonna become my new stalker? Because man I already have mems, zero and god chasing me around this board, I don't feel my capabilities are enough to handle a 4th one let alone a 5th seeing how things are going down with the freak.

At the end of the day you have no argument bro, you're just spinning because you're mad. The author is leaking special snowflake you know and you're triggered by your own wrongness.

Some of the journos on stage are as old as I am and, frankly, no more rock-star-ish than a bag of spuds. This is a game for everyone.

Except me.

-

Can you please attempt to write in a somewhat coherent and readable fashion?

And if I'm so wrong, you could at least attempt to show me why I'm wrong. You won't tho because you're clearly out of your depth when it comes to dealing with language.

Also, melodrama/=/calling all video games stupid.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GreySeal9

It's kind of amusing that me getting on your case today has gotten so deeply under your skin, Gue1. Just go ahead and assume that I'm getting revenge on you for anti-Nintendo posts so you can get the closure you so desperately need.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator

@parkurtommo: I dunno about you bro but to me, someone working on X industry and making a living out of it to the point they get well known within it and turning around (while still profiting from their current jobs) and acting like they are above it time and time again (by way of putting down the industry, its fans, its workers/devs, without any actual reason for it 90% of the time) is pretty shitty. Could just be me though.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@parkurtommo: I dunno about you bro but to me, someone working on X industry and making a living out of it to the point they get well known within it and turning around (while still profiting from their current jobs) and acting like they are above it time and time again (by way of putting down the industry, its fans, its workers/devs, without any actual reason for it 90% of the time) is pretty shitty. Could just be me though.

Exactly, it's like they know their craft is shit. "Games Journalism, lol." and they're just frustrated in that fact to the point they have to cast spite on games and gamers in general. These hacks lack the talent and integrity to land any other gig.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Desmonic  Moderator

@GreySeal9: Depends. If the info on the OP is false/misleading then its locked. If its just the tittle it's simply edited.

Speaking of which @Gue1: less bait, more title please. Either you do it or I do it. Your choice.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
@GreySeal9 said:

Starting to wonder if too much game playing ruins people's reading comprehension.

You're posting on system wars, lets cut some charades, at some point you know you're posting with a bunch of people who were deserving of the short bus.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jg4xchamp

@darkspineslayer said:

Jesus...I mean, I've had to review some pretty terrible games, but you never outright state that you don't give a shit...

Polygon is plenty shit, but remind me again you have scored games without actually finishing them? And you're bitching about their professionalism? Come on, son.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 parkurtommo

@ReadingRainbow4: Where did they cast spite on games specifically?

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Desmonic  Moderator

@Gue1: New title until you make a better one.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Gue1

@GreySeal9 said:
@Gue1 said:

@GreySeal9:

Why are you so upset?

I've been posting this kind of shit for years and today you woke up off your bed and decided that you were gonna become my new stalker? Because man I already have mems, zero and god chasing me around this board, I don't feel my capabilities are enough to handle a 4th one let alone a 5th seeing how things are going down with the freak.

Except me.

-

Can you please attempt to write in a somewhat coherent and readable fashion?

And if I'm so wrong, you could at least attempt to show me why I'm wrong. You won't tho because you're clearly out of your depth when it comes to dealing with language.

Also, melodrama/=/calling all video games stupid.

I'm not from an english speaking nation but I consider my english pretty coherent and readable. But let's start by saying that the title of the thread is just to attract people's attention. This is something I've been doing for years and years but today it seems you decided it was time to stop me or something.

-Why so upset bro?-

Second, the reason I make these threads is to read what people say. My stalkers in particular, I know what to expect from them but you my friend, you went out of your way today to attack me and I found it curious. Some random guy with some shit game as avatar and sign calling me immature and manchild twice in just the first page of a thread. haha and then here you are again doing I don't know what.

-Why so upset bro?-

Third, the overall point in this article that I wanted to bring forth is that the author did not want to be on that event. He doesn't even care about the game he's supposed to report on. So he takes these little personal but irrelevant pieces and injects them throughout the article like if anybody gave a ****. This is not an opinion piece.

But at the end:

-Why so upset bro?-

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Gue1

@Desmonic said:

@Gue1: New title until you make a better one.

Come on man, what fun will this forum be without clickbait? I mean, this forum already feels like a cemetery as it is and you want to make it even worse just because Grey is asshurt about something? Let him be asshurt, that's the force that make this forum thrive!

@parkurtommo said:

@Desmonic: This isn't really about defending polygon. What I see in here is rabid, unmindful responses to a thought provoking article. The article inadvertently criticizes the industry's way of appealing to games journalists and also how fickle video games really are... Why get all worked up about it? If I were some random person who didn't know anything about what Polygon has written about in the past, I would frankly have taken their side here. The issue I have is with their coverage is the constant theme of criticizing non-existent misogynist and racist trends, which doesn't seem to be prevalent here.

On a second thought, I'm done. Lock it.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Desmonic  Moderator

@Gue1: Just make a less overly baity one.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 freedomfreak

@jg4xchamp: How does that actually work? I've read that for some games you only need to play a certain percentage before reviewing it. Do you believe you need to finish a game before reviewing?

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 parkurtommo

@Gue1: Remember that provocative does not mean good or bad. It's just stimuli. This article OBJECTIVELY breaks the norm and causes discussion, I view this as a good thing.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#45  Edited By drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

@jg4xchamp: How does that actually work? I've read that for some games you only need to play a certain percentage before reviewing it. Do you believe you need to finish a game before reviewing?

It's important to paint as vivid of a picture as you can about any game you're reviewing, no matter what. Reviewing a game before finishing it is the exact same thing as walking out in the middle of a film. You're writing knowing full well you have incomplete information. The work will suffer, and as a result you have a review that may not even be worth reading because you didn't care enough to see it to the end.

The only time not finishing a game may work in your favour is if the game was so bad that you couldn't bring yourself to do it. That right there just emphasizes said game's awfulness.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jg4xchamp

@freedomfreak said:

**** yes, I can understand not going full 100%, because no one wants to go find 100 mother fucking feathers, because that's bullshit added to a video game to take advantage of gamer mentality. It's sickening, it's the shit the shallow ass loot rpgs were built on.

But straight up not finishing you know the main quest, the campaign, the start to finish experience, the side stuff that has work put into. I understand in darkspines case he'll mention how he is paid very little, and all that jazz is valid, I'm not exactly fond of being paid 10 bucks to suffer bullshit. But your place as a critic with professionalism is questionable at best. The job is review the game because you are a critic. In other mediums the best critics finish the piece entertainment because they need to be able to speak about it beyond the basics. Besides a shitty ending matters to an artistic experience. Likewise even for product reviewers, you test every feature, every potential use for said product to make sure it can handle it all. Because that's the professional thing to do.

Because as a critic you are a service to your reader and you provide a level of trust to your reader that you do X, Y, and Z. And the best ones, the good ones, do the job to the fullest, and frankly that includes the shitty games. It's one thing when the game has no finish line (Multiplayer games, MMOs) or is unreasonably long, or it straight up doesn't work, but beyond that, yeah you want to be taken seriously with the job, do the job.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 freedomfreak

@jg4xchamp: @drinkerofjuice: Yeah, can't say I disagree. Thanks for the insight.

And yes, screw feather collecting.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Gue1

@parkurtommo said:

@Gue1: Remember that provocative does not mean good or bad. It's just stimuli. This article OBJECTIVELY breaks the norm and causes discussion, I view this as a good thing.

well, the article did stimulate me to make this thread, so at least on that we can agree. But provoking and cause discussion? Maybe about how it was written but not the content. First I would need to care about Rock Band and then care about the author's experience in the party.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Desmonic  Moderator

@freedomfreak: More than feather collecting, screw pointless fetch quests.

"Hey, go grab me that ring I lost on the other side of the damn world and I'll give half a bean. Well, go on then! What are you waiting for!?"

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jg4xchamp

@Desmonic said:

@freedomfreak: More than feather collecting, screw pointless fetch quests.

"Hey, go grab me that ring I lost on the other side of the damn world and I'll give half a bean. Well, go on then! What are you waiting for!?"

Go shoot 200 pigeons because **** it

Drive over 85 ramps that we could have used for exciting gameplay, but we thought what if you randomly found them for no fucking reason other than we added this pointless "0/85" marker in one of the stat screens that we know your ocd ass has to fill up.

With the worst offenders being the assholes that compliment said fetch quests, said bullshit ramp diving, pigeon hunting, feather collecting, mind numbing chore doing bullshit with the scourge of modern video game design, the testicular cancer of video game design, the mafia 2 of video game design: cinematic walking sequences. Fucking Kirsten Dunst that stupid bitch ruining video games.