GTX Titan and Titan Black-Any takers? If so ,why?

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Serioussamik
Member since 2010 • 773 Posts

Yeah Nvidia hyped this colossi couple quite significantly to gamers. This post in not intended at directing criticism at these cards (Yeah would love to have one if I had the $$$), but to seek the market/value positioning of these cards. They seemed to be pitted against their own siblings, and strangely offer very little premium over them, given the price.

Other than the frame-buffer size, the only thing I found out about them....they are costly and have great flaunt value.

Leaving that aside:

-Both based on GK110

-Certainly not the the "ultimate gaming GPU" as 780Ti clearly surges ahead in almost ALL benchmarks.

-Not sure how the double precision processing works and adds up to the experience. (any info on this will be great)

So wondering, why would people get them over 780/780ti at an significantly higher cost?

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Well more vram is one thing.3GB is simply not enough for 4k setups.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@Serioussamik said:

Yeah Nvidia hyped this colossi couple quite significantly to gamers. This post in not intended at directing criticism at these cards (Yeah would love to have one if I had the $$$), but to seek the market/value positioning of these cards. They seemed to be pitted against their own siblings, and strangely offer very little premium over them, given the price.

Other than the frame-buffer size, the only thing I found out about them....they are costly and have great flaunt value.

Leaving that aside:

-Both based on GK110

-Certainly not the the "ultimate gaming GPU" as 780Ti clearly surges ahead in almost ALL benchmarks.

-Not sure how the double precision processing works and adds up to the experience. (any info on this will be great)

So wondering, why would people get them over 780/780ti at an significantly higher cost?

well the titan was released before the 780 ti, so that's like comparing apples and oranges

and like shepard said; the memory on the titan black does serve it's purpose.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

I'll get a 780 next year when I build a new PC

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I'm starting to think I will need to wait for the 900 series to get a card that can do 4K at 60fps.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Maxwell is coming out in a few months. There is no reason to buy old Kepler based cards now.

Sold my GTX 690 2 weeks ago. Got as much as I could once news broke of Oct/Nov launch for Maxwell series 8xx. Taking the $600 I got and putting towards GTX 880. Might even wait till next year for the 20/16nm Maxwell's.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

I'm starting to think I will need to wait for the 900 series to get a card that can do 4K at 60fps.

To go along with the 4k tv you claimed to own yeah?...

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@Snugenz said:

@Shewgenja said:

Wanna quote me on that tough guy?

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

@Snugenz said:

@Shewgenja said:

Wanna quote me on that tough guy?

Tough guy?, have i upset you?.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

I have 2 Titan Blacks and will buy a 3rd once the CPU and Motherboard upgrades are done. I will eventually be running 3 1440p monitors. I'm not really sold on 4K at that screen size as well as the available hardware being able to run current/future games at that resolution.

I got burned on VRAM when I bought the GTX 690. That is really the only reason I went Titan Black over 780 Ti.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

VRAM is the selling point.

That being said anyone buying one for gaming is wasting their money, even at 4K the Titan Black and the Ti perform the same. 3GB is not a bottleneck even at 4K. At 4k SLI GTX 770 2GB GPU's will outperform a GTX Titan Black with 6GB VRAM.

@GoldenElementXL Getting 3 Ti's would have saved you 1/2 the money and given you the same performance since even at 3x 1440p there will be no difference in performance... Not because the extra VRAM is unnecessary but more because the G110 chip simply doesn't have the power to support that much VRAM, which becomes very apparent when you look at benchmarks...

1. Notice how the Ti and Black perform the same
  2. Notice how Ti in SLI doubles performance... if 3GB was a bottleneck it wouldn't be able to do that.

Double precision is the only thing the Black has for it but since the Ti was released it made the Titan obsolete and the Black and complete waste of money if you are a gamer.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

I bought a GTX 780 Classified for $550 about 6 months ago.

I've been able to max out every game at 1080p with absolutely no problem. The only game I can think of that won't get 60+ FPS that I've played is Crysis 3, which usually hovers around 46-48 FPS.

I don't see why anyone would pay the extra $300-400 for a Titan unless they use a lot of heavy duty programs like photo or video editing. It's a waste for gaming IMO.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

There are actually 6GB gtx 780 oc that still cost 550 USD but outperform gtx 780 ti at 4k resolutions

: )

I don't know what Nvidia is thinking but these 6GB gtx 780s completely **** titan and ti, which is still 3 gb, price and performance wise. Especially if you make a sli

with those.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I was going to upgrade to dual Kingpin 780Ti's from EVGA but with the 8** series right around the corner, might wait for that.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#15 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

@Zelda187 said:

I've been able to max out every game at 1080p with absolutely no problem. The only game I can think of that won't get 60+ FPS that I've played is Crysis 3, which usually hovers around 46-48 FPS.

What CPU are you using? Are you using post AA or multi/super sampling or something? You should get better framerates than that I think.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16  Edited By Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

@-Unreal- said:

@Zelda187 said:

What CPU are you using? Are you using post AA or multi/super sampling or something? You should get better framerates than that I think.

i5 4670k

Haven't played it in months (not that great of a game IMO, but definitely gorgeous), but I cranked up everything to the max.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf:

These benchmarks show a bigger difference between the 780 Ti and Titan Black than the ones you showed. Not huge but it's there. And the only difference between the 2 cards is the VRAM and double precision processing. Also I have the Superclocked versions so the difference is a little bigger but no big deal.

And like I said before, my plan has always been to have 3-4 cards. I am currently waiting for the new 5960/5930 CPU's and X99 motherboards before I buy another card. Putting a 3rd card in my rig now won't do much. But in the future I will get more out of 3-4 Titan Black SC's than I will 3-4 780 Ti's.

Now who knows what 3-4 880's will do. Oh well.

Now if you want to talk about a waste of money. The Titan Z has no place other than mini itx builds. $3000 is WAY too much for what you get. (See below)

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Zelda187 said:

@-Unreal- said:

@Zelda187 said:

i5 4670k

Haven't played it in months (not that great of a game IMO, but definitely gorgeous), but I cranked up everything to the max.

Yeah, there's pretty much no reason to play Crysis 3 besides staring at all the pretty graphics

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

VRAM is the selling point.

That being said anyone buying one for gaming is wasting their money, even at 4K the Titan Black and the Ti perform the same. 3GB is not a bottleneck even at 4K. At 4k SLI GTX 770 2GB GPU's will outperform a GTX Titan Black with 6GB VRAM.

@GoldenElementXL Getting 3 Ti's would have saved you 1/2 the money and given you the same performance since even at 3x 1440p there will be no difference in performance... Not because the extra VRAM is unnecessary but more because the G110 chip simply doesn't have the power to support that much VRAM, which becomes very apparent when you look at benchmarks...

1. Notice how the Ti and Black perform the same
  2. Notice how Ti in SLI doubles performance... if 3GB was a bottleneck it wouldn't be able to do that.

Double precision is the only thing the Black has for it but since the Ti was released it made the Titan obsolete and the Black and complete waste of money if you are a gamer.

This has me wondering why they wasted resources using FXAA (or any kind of AA) at 4k. That's a lot of extra pixels for literally no improvement in fidelity.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

800 series?

I will wait.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Still waiting on Maxell to upgrade my 670

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46217 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

Well more vram is one thing.3GB is simply not enough for 4k setups.

One titan is not enough for 4K setups either

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Truth_Hurts_U

@Motokid6:

I'm also going to get a G Sync monitor. So I can max graphics out for years to come and even sub 60 FPS, still have smooth silky gameplay down to 30 FPS.

But yeah, Maxwell is coming. Gamescom is when Nvidia is said to unveil it or possibly mid September.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-geforce-grand-finale-gamescom-2014/

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Truth_Hurts_U

I've been reading the big Maxwell's are coming 2015. If 880 isn't at least 30% better then a 780ti, then I might hold off till 2015. I want a 7 TFlop GPU. I'll settle for 6.5 if I can get a factory OC'ed EVGA with 10-15% boost. That would push it to 7.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@Serioussamik said:

Leaving that aside:

-Both based on GK110

It has certain features that the 780s don't have (such as double precision computing). Such features are completely useless for gamers, but incredibly useful for professionals. Compared to something like a Quadro, the Titan is a steal. I don't know jackshit about it though. The only reason you'd really get one for gaming is just for the VRAM.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

I'm only gaming at 1080p 120hz so I'll pass... my GTX 780 classy is not having any problems anyways. I may consider another GPU when I move up to 1440p 144hz, buts thats way down the line, and wont be going to route any time soon.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf

@GoldenElementXL said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf:

These benchmarks show a bigger difference between the 780 Ti and Titan Black than the ones you showed. Not huge but it's there. And the only difference between the 2 cards is the VRAM and double precision processing. Also I have the Superclocked versions so the difference is a little bigger but no big deal.

And like I said before, my plan has always been to have 3-4 cards. I am currently waiting for the new 5960/5930 CPU's and X99 motherboards before I buy another card. Putting a 3rd card in my rig now won't do much. But in the future I will get more out of 3-4 Titan Black SC's than I will 3-4 780 Ti's.

Now who knows what 3-4 880's will do. Oh well.

Now if you want to talk about a waste of money. The Titan Z has no place other than mini itx builds. $3000 is WAY too much for what you get. (See below)

Those Digitalstorm reviews are using 337 drivers... The benchmarks on Guru3D are using 340. Not sure how much of a difference a driver makes but the benchmarks are very much vary from site to site. I guess MSAA is playing the key role here... and at 4K on a 28" screen MSAA will do little to nothing. That being said a little overclock on a 780Ti would even that gap out no problem, really not worth the extra $.

Maybe once games start being developed for PS4/X1 we will see a higher need for more VRAM but as of now 3GB is more than enough and if you are running a single 1440 monitor or a lower resolution.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

they have bags of money laying around and don't care

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

This has me wondering why they wasted resources using FXAA (or any kind of AA) at 4k. That's a lot of extra pixels for literally no improvement in fidelity.

Aliasing will always be an issue so long as we're using square pixels. It's stil noticeable at 4K, unless you are pretty removed from the screen - and regardless of distance (unless you are REALLY far away) aliased edges will still "Dance" as the camera moves around.

Personally, I'm going to go 3K starting end of next year. I'm saving up for a holiday 2015 treat to myself o this baby:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/lg-34in-led-monitor-ultrawide-3b-97392.htm

It's the perfect compromise!

3K, so less of a hit on the GPU's shader performance and RAM which means it'll be easier to hit higher framerates.

Ultra wide for the ultimate gmaing experience, and the higher vertical resolution means I can get work done. Sweet.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

On a interview nvida guys said that everyone told them that TITAN is not gonna sell, "are you crazy whos gonna buy that" but suprisingly they cant keep titan black in stock.

Seems architects or 3d designers buy them becuase its cheaper than a supercomputer...not for gaming though but they are rich people outhere.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@Kinthalis said:

@GarGx1 said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Aliasing will always be an issue so long as we're using square pixels. It's stil noticeable at 4K, unless you are pretty removed from the screen - and regardless of distance (unless you are REALLY far away) aliased edges will still "Dance" as the camera moves around.

Personally, I'm going to go 3K starting end of next year. I'm saving up for a holiday 2015 treat to myself o this baby:

3K, so less of a hit on the GPU's shader performance and RAM which means it'll be easier to hit higher framerates.

Ultra wide for the ultimate gmaing experience, and the higher vertical resolution means I can get work done. Sweet.

I do am getting this beauty... I have a 29" Dell ultrawide monitor and I would really LOVE the extra vertical pixels for Adobe lightroom.

64:27 aspect ration is perfect for gaming... Can't go back to 16:9.

I am waiting for a Dell 34" 3440x1440 monitor to be released or a Asus, since LG seems to be having a lot of quality control issues with this and most of their monitors. People complaining about very heavy IPS glow with the LG 34".

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Why do people think that the Titan is really aimed at the everyday guy?

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kipsta77
Member since 2012 • 1119 Posts

I got the Titan when it was launched. The reason for me not getting a 780ti is because, it wasn't out then.

@Serioussamik said:

The way you say it is as if its WAYYYYYYYYYY more powerful, when it's not that much powerful in "gaming performance".

Anyways, can't go wrong with either.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Truth_Hurts_U

@Motokid6: GTX 880 "G1" is said to be Gigabytes naming scheme for their cards.

Maxwell is going to be on 28 nm for 2014. Because TSMC turned out Apple and other tablet/cell phone makers 20nm chips first. So there wasn't enough time this year to get a 20nm Maxwell out. 2015 there will be 20 or 16 nm chips for sure.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

Titan are cheaper workstation cards. Way cheaper than the quadros. I am pretty sure 780ti and titan black are dead even at 4k. 780ti has the benefit of being way better overclockers.

I get my 4k monitor tomorrow. I will see how my 780ti sli handle it. I will post screenshots with frame rates and ect...

I will probably upgrade once 16nm hits.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@Serioussamik said:

Leaving that aside:

1. The GTX Titan Black is clocked higher then a GTX 780ti so no a ti is not faster

2. Some people game at 4k and need the memory, 3Gb is not enough for some games at 1440p

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@Kinthalis said:

@GarGx1 said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Bad move buddy.... know a few that have an ultra wide monitor and have taken it back as game support is poor...

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

yes because all those extra blades of grass sure do make gameplay more enjoyable.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@Kinthalis said:

@GarGx1 said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

That's a seriously nice monitor, I'm toying with the idea of getting a better than 1080p monitor or keeping my money for a Rift set once the commercial release is ready.

All I know right now is that my 780ti is well under used at 1080p, hell I can max most games at 150+ fps (apart from Arena Commander but that is a rather un-optimised alpha).

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

Oh man. 4k is beautiful. I had to rebuild my computer for the 3rd time because the case I upgraded to was defective the first 2 times. My motherboard stated I installed a new cpu so I gotta re-overclock but the frame rates are not as bad as I thought.