GTA4 + Giantbomb = a story I should experience?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

I was a big fan of Vice City but i'm really not into GTA4. For me, its just not fun.

However, I much much respect for the Giantbomb crew and it got their game of the year. I listened to their podcast where they debated about it and they make the story just sound amazing. I really love a good story so i'm debating forcing myself to play it.

Is the story really that good? Are these guys on crack? Is the story good or, "good for a video game... assuming that the RPGs and Bio-Ware don't exist"?

I really don't enjoy playing this game, but it got 10s and people are praising it as being amazing. I kinda feel like maybe I didn't give th egame a shot even though I played like 7 hours of it. I did enjoy the story, but arggh, its just not fun for me.

Should I go back and give the game a shot? I'm thinking about just trying to speed run it as much as possible. I bought the game launch week and its been sitting in its case for the past like 5 months.

One of the guys talking about it, Brad, seemed to hate actually playing the game but seemed to really enjoy the story as it unfolded. I'm hoping the story will be strong enough for me to end up the same way... but everytime i'm tempted to pop it in I think about how I could be playing games that are fun and I put in something else.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
why ask it here? why not ask it on giantbomb?
BatmanBegins24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BatmanBegins24
Member since 2005 • 7520 Posts
Finish it. The story is incredible. Although I prefer MGS4, I'm glad that GTAIV won Giantbomb's game of the year.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
I think they overpraised it, but the story is great. I'm not sure forcing your self through it is a good way to experience it though because your expectations will be high and you will most likely be disappointed.
Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts
The story was lacking a lot. I NEVER felt connected to any character and the ending is very poor and unclimatic. Trust me. ITs not worth the time of someone who knows a good story's time.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

why ask it here? why not ask it on giantbomb?WilliamRLBaker
I respect Giantbomb, but I don't think that their site visitors are the end all be all.

Plus, I check this site waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more frequently. I'm only at bomb when it feels like my RSS reader isn't getting their podcast.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
If you think you'll need to "force yourself" through something, then skip it. It sounds like it doesn't do much for you, so your time is probably better spent elsewhere.
Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts
It's a pretty good story for a game. It's a very good game, I don't think it's worth a 10 and I don't think it's as fun or has as much to do as the previous ones, but i'd still give it a 9
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#9 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts
The story in GTAIV isn't anything special. I suggest you don't go through it so you don't get disappointed by the ending.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#10 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
The story was lacking a lot. I NEVER felt connected to any character and the ending is very poor and unclimatic. Trust me. ITs not worth the time of someone who knows a good story's time.Cedmln
I agree as good as the city is in GTA 4 or the environment in Bioshock, if I don't give a damn about any of the characters, I don't care about the story. In GTA 4s case, I played though the game wanting almost all of the characters to die (except for the Irish guy and Jacob).
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
it's a great story and the characters are really good. i do wish though that the ending cutscene was a little longer. i mean, i do understand why it was short, but eh... still, GTA IV has gotta have some of the longest credits ever!
BatmanBegins24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BatmanBegins24
Member since 2005 • 7520 Posts

[QUOTE="Cedmln"]The story was lacking a lot. I NEVER felt connected to any character and the ending is very poor and unclimatic. Trust me. ITs not worth the time of someone who knows a good story's time.Legolas_Katarn
I agree as good as the city is in GTA 4 or the environment in Bioshock, if I don't give a damn about any of the characters, I don't care about the story. In GTA 4s case, I played though the game wanting almost all of the characters to die (except for the Irish guy and Jacob).

Are you kidding me? How could you not love Niko, Brucie, The McRearys, Dwayne, ect. While I prefer MGS4 as a game, GTA IV has by far the best and most fully fleshed-out characters in a video game this year.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#13 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

The story was lacking a lot. I NEVER felt connected to any character and the ending is very poor and unclimatic. Trust me. ITs not worth the time of someone who knows a good story's time.Cedmln

^^This.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#14 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
It has an excellent story, all the characters you do missions for have great stories too like Dwayne who is the biggest badass this year
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
Those games haven't changed one bit since GTA3. The story is not good at all; I have no idea why the guys over at Giantbomb love that game so much.
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts
The story isn't incredible at all. It's a typical sob story. The only characters that i really liked in the game where those irish/scottish persons, but that is because they reminded me a little of the series The black donnellys. If you really dislike the game, then why force yourself to play it. Though if you own the game already you could spend one hour now and then on that game to atleast finish it.
Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts
it's a good story and the characters are the best in the seris imo however it's not that amazing.the story is good but it's not so good that its a reason to play the game
spliffstar12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 spliffstar12
Member since 2008 • 1281 Posts
let me guess your idea of a good story is mgs4 which is the equivalent of an ok comic book
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

I.didn't.find.anything.remotely.interesting.about.the.story....heck.my.brother.ended.up.staying.on.the.last.mission.for.a.month.because.he.honestly.didn't.care.to.b eat.it.