GTA V Is Out Of The Running for GotY

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

GTA V was nominated along with The Last of Us for PS3 GotY, but it lost, with The Last of Us winning it. This automatically knocks the game out of the running for Game of the Year, as we know Gamespot thinks at least one game is better than it in a head to head competition.

So far, then, the four games in the running for Game of the Year are The Last of Us, Super Mario 3D World, Tearaway, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Which one do you think will win?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

tlou

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

I think that is a pretty safe assumption and I would be happy with either TLOU, SM3DW or Zelda. (Or even GTA if GS really wants to mind*** it's users haha)

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

I don't think it works that way on Gamespot, the site where logic goes to get raped. GOTY will be GTA or Mario. I'll be massively surprised if TLOU or a handheld game wins.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Super Mario 3D World

Cows tears would be lovely

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60702 Posts

Super Mario 3D World it got a 9.0

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

The 360 GOTY has not been revealed yet TC so it may win that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Floppy_Jim said:

I don't think it works that way on Gamespot, the site where logic goes to get raped. GOTY will be GTA or Mario. I'll be massively surprised if TLOU or a handheld game wins.

Gamespot is very consistent within its Game of the Year awards every year. If something does not win the best of award for its platform, and is also nominated for GotY, then it does not win GotY.

GTA is out of the running. I think it'll be between TLOU and Mario for now, though we don't know the other nominees that might upset it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@super600 said:

And that wouldn't matter, as it already loses in a head to head competition with at least one other GotY nominee. It doesn't matter if it wins 360 GotY, because Gamespot thinks that the Last of Us, at the very least, is a better game.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

GTA V was nominated along with The Last of Us for PS3 GotY, but it lost, with The Last of Us winning it. This automatically knocks the game out of the running for Game of the Year, as we know Gamespot thinks at least one game is better than it in a head to head competition.

So far, then, the four games in the running for Game of the Year are The Last of Us, Super Mario 3D World, Tearaway, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Which one do you think will win?

They still have to do PC, PS4, XBox 360 and XBox One GOTY right?

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Floppy_Jim said:

Gamespot is very consistent within its Game of the Year awards every year. If something does not win the best of award for its platform, and is also nominated for GotY, then it does not win GotY.

GTA is out of the running. I think it'll be between TLOU and Mario for now, though we don't know the other nominees that might upset it.

I get 404s when I try and look back on previous years but if you're right about that I'm going for Mario.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@blackace said:

Yes, that's why I said 'so far.'

@Floppy_Jim said:

I get 404s when I try and look back on previous years but if you're right about that I'm going for Mario.

I dunno, I think The Last of Us has it on lock, but I'd be very happy if Mario won.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Arkham Origins !

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#15 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

not necessarily, some websites like to put the spotlight on exclusives for platform specific awards and then give the overall GOTY to a multiplat.

I feel GS will do this since it seems they are afraid to offend people with their awards, hence the removal of genre/special achievement awards.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

The Last of Us or Super Mario 3D World has my money.

StriateEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 StriateEnd
Member since 2013 • 521 Posts

TLOU, Tearaway and ALBW are all awesome (haven't played the new mario) so I wouldn't mind either of those winning

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

GTA V will still win i think.. This is GS after all. Besides GTA V is gonna win GOTY for the Xbox360. Last Year Journey won GOTY but dishonored won the PS3 game of the year.. it was like a funny wtf moment lol

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@blackace said:

@charizard1605 said:

Xbox One and PS4 don't really deserve a GOTY although I think ACIV on PS4 is amazing.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Game of The Year hardly ever works this way at any site, it always defies what might appear to be logical. They should really just make "PS3 GOTY" or "360 GOTY" exclusive only that way you avoid this sort of thing. Would surprise me if TLOU did win though, it would finally silence all the people still moaning about it getting an 8.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

tlou

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@Bardock47 said:

The Last of Us or Super Mario 3D World has my money.

this

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

gta fans be cried

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@super600 said:

And that wouldn't matter, as it already loses in a head to head competition with at least one other GotY nominee. It doesn't matter if it wins 360 GotY, because Gamespot thinks that the Last of Us, at the very least, is a better game.

I wouldn't lose sleep/care at all about this

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

maybe they were turned off by all the ridiculous and vile backlash they got from the GTA V review

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

And GTA V didn't win best Action Adventure game at the VGX and won GOTY - it doesn't always work like that.

Its not always as cut and dry as it was in 2010 with Red Dead: Redemption.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

My vote goes to TLOU over GTA V anyway. TLOU was something special and I really enjoyed it from start to finish also dat winter snowy forest. Hnnnnngggg

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

PC has a few AAA this year too I think, Gone Home? so perhaps those will be in the mix too.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

The PS3 version of GTA 5 was the best version so....

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

Oh man the tears at not only on Gamespot, but every other site if Gears Judgement wins GOTY overall. It would be massive suicide. Hell, Xbox fans will commit suicide with them.

Same if Barbie Dreamhouse Party wins, will probably be Wii GOTY automatically.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By casharmy

@Pray_to_me said:

The PS3 version of GTA 5 was the best version so....

it is possible, but I do not think GS has enough balls to smash the credibility of a review they allowed to be posted as AA (and then stood by it, "feedbackula") beat out ALL the other AAA reveiwed games for the entire year (wheather they belive it deserves it or not).

Regardless of this system wars stuff, GS has a reputation and credibility to try to maintain in all of this...

so GS saying "hey this AA game >>> all of the other AAA games we reviewed this year but we stood by the AA review becaue it was good for traffic" won't do much for the validity and credibility of their reviews on the site.

It will be much easier for them just give the GOTY to another game like Super Mario World 3D (which is also a good game) and save themselves from being called uncredible than giving it to TLOU...at least that is what I beleive they would be thinking in their position.

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 John_Matherson
Member since 2013 • 2085 Posts
@super600 said:

The 360 goty will be a multiplat LMAOOOOOO

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts
@casharmy said:

it is possible, but I do not think GS has enough balls to smash the credibility of a review they allowed to be posted as sub AAA beat out ALL the other AAA reveiwed games for the entire year (wheather they belive it deserves it or not).

It doesn't matter. The review is one editors opinion. The GOTY is a collective consensus of the entire staff. It's also possible that their opinions on all of the games has changed as they have had more time with them. Nothing is out of the running. These stupid opinions on what will win are just that. OP has a history of reading into things too much and jumping to conclusions. Doesn't work that way.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@Desmonic said:

It'll probably win the GOTY for the 360, so it should still be in the running for overall GOTY I think.

Also calling it now, if for some reason TLOU actually wins overall GOTY (which i think it wont despite being a fantastic game) coupled with the PS4 leading in sales over the X1, cows will go absolutely crazy. Lems might as well not show up for the next month or so.

Not show up???

I come here to laugh at the cows.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#35  Edited By GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

And GTA V didn't win best Action Adventure game at the VGX and won GOTY - it doesn't always work like that.

Its not always as cut and dry as it was in 2010 with Red Dead: Redemption.

you could argue that the VGX logic was that GTA5 was not the best at being action-adventure, even though it was the best game overall.

It would make no sense for GTA5 to lose a general award for PS3 GOTY but could still win GOTY across all platforms.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By casharmy

@Couth_ said:
@casharmy said:

it is possible, but I do not think GS has enough balls to smash the credibility of a review they allowed to be posted as sub AAA beat out ALL the other AAA reveiwed games for the entire year (wheather they belive it deserves it or not).

It doesn't matter. The review is one editors opinion. The GOTY is a collective consensus of the entire staff. It's also possible that their opinions on all of the games has changed as they have had more time with them. Nothing is out of the running. These stupid opinions on what will win are just that. OP has a history of reading into things too much and jumping to conclusions. Doesn't work that way.

what I said is just my personal belief and nothing more.

I understand all to well that the review is just one reviews opinion, I am simply saying that "gamespot" as a website allowed the review to be posted as a credible source for their site and everyone, even casuals, understand the difference between AA and AAA so this will indeed affect the outlook of the credibility of reviews if AA TLOU wins GOTY over games they rated AAA for the year.

GS could still give GOTY to TLOU, they could also just be saying they disagree with Tom in his conclusion to make it more clear that GS as a website wasn't responsible for his opinion.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

it will be whatever game didnt hurt carolyn petit's feelings

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

If Mario 3D World wins it, GS may shut down for a day lol

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

"Because The Last of Us is a better game than Grand Theft Auto V, of course."-Tom McShea

I'd say it's a safe bet that TLOU will win GOTY.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#40 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41525 Posts

@nini200 said:

I can see it now. Examples:

-Wii U is selling bad and so is Mario 3D World

-Mario rehash

-Nostalgia

-Nintendo paid Gamespot

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@casharmy said:

@Couth_ said:
@casharmy said:

what I said is just my personal belief and nothing more.

I understand all to well that the review is just one reviews opinion, I am simply saying that "gamespot" as a website allowed the review to be posted as a credible source for their site and everyone, even casuals, understand the difference between AA and AAA so this will indeed affect the outlook of the credibility of reviews if AA TLOU wins GOTY over games they rated AAA for the year.

GS could still give GOTY to TLOU, they could also just be saying they disagree with Tom in his conclusion to make it more clear that GS as a website wasn't responsible for his opinion.

Gamespot has a segment dedicated to making fun of whiny gamers called feedbackula. They really don't care what people think is credible. They already chose TLoU over GTAV for ps3 game of the year. I recall a huge backlash when Demon's Souls beat higher scoring games for GOTY. You think they care? Gamers read into things way too much. TLoU could still win. What if there are staff who weren't involved in the PS3 Game of the year are involved in the overall GOTY. What if games on other platforms steal GOTY votes from TLoU but not GTAV. GTAV could still win.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@Joedgabe said:

GTA V will still win i think.. This is GS after all. Besides GTA V is gonna win GOTY for the Xbox360. Last Year Journey won GOTY but dishonored won the PS3 game of the year.. it was like a funny wtf moment lol

That's what I wanted to know. I guess it doesn't matter if GTA V got PS3 GOTY. It still has a chance to get overall GOTY going by last years winners.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@nini200 said:

I can see it now. Examples:

-Wii U is selling bad and so is Mario 3D World

-Mario rehash

-Nostalgia

-Nintendo paid Gamespot

Lol I can see it now:

And GOTY 2013 goes to: Super Mar(505 Internal Server Error. Please try again or come back later.)

Lol

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

Doesnt work that way. Dishonored won Gamespots PS 3 2012 GOTY and Journey won the overall GOTY.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@casharmy said:

PC has a few AAA this year too I think, Gone Home? so perhaps those will be in the mix too.

Gone Home will definitely be in there and I wouldn't be surprised if they actually chose that too TBH. It's a great experience though a little disappointing in the end for what the revelation is but I don't really feel it does enough to deserve GOTY

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

@Cranler said:

Doesnt work that way. Dishonored won Gamespots PS 3 2012 GOTY and Journey won the overall GOTY.

Well there goes Charizard's whole argument. Someone please ban him already, we have enough fakeboys as it is.

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

TLoU, it's my personal goty as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Listening to the Podcast throughout the year (wtf happened to the Gamespot Gameplay podcast??) there is no way either GTA V or TLOU will win because of the way Carolyn and Tom felt about the games characters. Also Tom hated Bioshock Infinite so there goes that game. They might pick an Indie or handheld game. Whatever game didn't objectify women, portray women as weak or inferior, had no race or age discrimination and didn't participate in PAX is probably the front runner.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@GoldenElementXL said:

Listening to the Podcast throughout the year (wtf happened to the Gamespot Gameplay podcast??) there is no way either GTA V or TLOU will win because of the way Carolyn and Tom felt about the games characters. Also Tom hated Bioshock Infinite so there goes that game. They might pick an Indie or handheld game. Whatever game didn't objectify women, portray women as weak or inferior, had no race or age discrimination and didn't participate in PAX is probably the front runner.

So there goes A Link Between Worlds too.

Might be Mario, you can finally play as Peach. FEMALE EMPOWERMENT.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

If those are truly the nominees I'd be happy with any of those games taking it.