GTA 5 Should be Banned Says U.S. Senator

This topic is locked from further discussion.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

U.S. Senator Joe Manchin is "proud" of the NRA but wants Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto 5 banned! Read on for the craziness...

With the recent Sandy Hook tragedy, it's no secret that some people are looking into obvious scapegoats to have someone to blame. Just a few days ago, uneducated people somehow connected BioWare's Mass Effect franchise to the shooting and are blaming the game for what happened.

Now, U.S. Senator Joe Manchin is going back to one of the most-controversial videogame franchises of all time to have someone new to blame. I am, of course, talking about the Grand Theft Auto franchise -- which, in this case, is GTA 5.

In an interview with MSNBC (via DailyKos), Manchin, who's an avid gun user and huntsman, states that he has no plans in selling his guns and has been discussing the issue with the NRA (National Rifle Association). Further along the inerview, he also claims that he's friends with the NRA and that's he's "proud" of the association -- say what?

Here's what Marchin had to say regarding the NRA and how he's "proud" of them.

These are my friends...Theyre good people. Theyre hurting. Theyre in pain the same way as every American about what happened to these twenty little children. And Im not going to let anybody be villainized

Im so proud of the NRA...Im so pleased they agreed to be part of this.

If that wasn't befuddling enough, Manchin then spent most of the interview putting focus on mental health issues and -- you guessed it -- videogames.

Manchin states later in the interview, "Look at Grand Theft Auto, put out by Rockstar Games in New York City and see what it promotes," and even adds, "Shouldnt that be looked into and maybe be banned?"

So instead of talking about how to better keep guns away from "unbalanced" people, Manchin focuses on suggesting that Grand Theft Auto 5 be banned? I don't know about you, but I highly doubt that banning GTA 5 -- or any other videogame for that matter -- will result in the crime rate dropping or for tragedies like what just happened in Connecticut to not just happen.

For more on why we don't think videogames is the instigator that some politicans claim it out to be, read our feature on the matter and see if you agree.

Do you think that Manchin has a point and that Grand Theft Auto 5 should be looked into before it's release next year? Or is he grasping at straws to put the blame on everything and anyone without looking at the obvious?

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/11602/article/gta-5-should-be-banned-says-u-s-senator/

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Don't stop guns. Don't make mental health care free.

BAN GTA!

And you wonder why that party is dying.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#3 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
Lol. He's dumb.
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Doesn't matter.

Prediction - It's going to get super hyped, then be a super let down.

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
Screw that.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
So why is everyone so quick to blame games now a days? Is marilyn manson too old to blame for these sorts of things now?
guard12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7 guard12
Member since 2004 • 2018 Posts

Once again GTA is the poster child to get violent games banned. It won't happen.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 clyde46
So why is everyone so quick to blame games now a days? Is marilyn manson too old to blame for these sorts of things now?mems_1224
Easy target.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#9 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

Don't stop guns. Don't make mental health care free.

BAN GTA!

And you wonder why that party is dying.

Jankarcop

Pfft.

I don't wonder. :P

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

tumblrmah0lykhaz1rt2en5.gif

It's a shame that we have those morons in this world. Waste of air.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#11 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

I am a card carrying member of the NRA, but I don't really like many of it's members. They are opposed to all gun control entirely, I however support some gun control measures and if I bring it up to them they laugh at me. The NRA is not a very good organziation IMO, Gun Owners of America is far better and more sensible.

As for GTA5, people have to stop looking for scapegoats. If we want to get to the heart of an issue we have to take responsibility and really look at what's causing it. But I do believe we should be trying to build a culture of peace and not necessarily violence, but GTA5 is not the reason why these tragedies happen. Blaming a game is just stupid.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Oh noes, teh Senator must save us from ourselves! :shock:

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 clyde46

I am a card carrying member of the NRA, but I don't really like many of it's members. They are opposed to all gun control entirely, I however support some gun control measures and if I bring it up to them they laugh at me. The NRA is not a very good organziation IMO, Gun Owners of America is far better and more sensible.

As for GTA5, people have to stop looking for scapegoats. If we want to get to the heart of an issue we have to take responsibility and really look at what's causing it. But I do believe we should be trying to build a culture of peace and not necessarily violence, but GTA5 is not the reason why these tragedies happen. Blaming a game is just stupid.

ShadowMoses900
Its the easiest thing to blame. These are old farts that have lost touch with today's generation. They blamed music, they blamed movies and now they are blaming video games. Many people still dont really understand what video games are, all they seen is what they are told.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
The funny thing is they look for scapegoats like this because they can't come up with any new legitimate reasons to oppose gun control except for "durr 2nd amendment". So let's not ban fully automatic weapons, let's instead ban a bunch of code, that's the real danger here guys, those damn DVD's
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

Too bad Joe Manchin, Jack Thompson, and the Fox News crew weren't at the Sandy shooting; they would have made much better victims than the defenseless children.

Of course, we would not have even heard of the incident then, as no one cares about those idiots.

Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#16 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
Hopefully there is a fiscal cliff related mission where you steal a bus carrying inept politicians and drive it off a mountain side.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
Hopefully there is a fiscal cliff related mission where you steal a bus carrying inept politicians and drive it off a mountain side.Pittfan666
That would be awesome.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 clyde46

This thread should be banned, nothing to do with system wars

No one cares about school shootings, they happen all the time

Zurrur
SW is a lot faster than General Games and some of the posters in OT aren't well, friendly.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Zurrur
No one cares about school shootings? Are you really that cold?
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Whats really really insidious about this rhetoric is that its not guns, failure of the system or any part of the establishment thats to blame, but the kids themselves for playing these games! Typical (and I'm sorry for bringing party politics into this) Republican response is to scapegoat something to shift the blame from their constituents, whether its big business, the super rich or guns.
PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

This just in, Rockstar has surrendered to his demands! Rockstar is quoted saying:

"Sure we'll cancel it"

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Zurrur
Good grief, even trolling in SW should have its limits. Shame on you.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#24 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

Whats really really insidious about this rhetoric is that its not guns, failure of the system or any part of the establishment thats to blame, but the kids themselves for playing these games! Typical (and I'm sorry for bringing party politics into this) Republican response is to scapegoat something to shift the blame from their constituents, whether its big business, the super rich or guns.blue_hazy_basic

Yep.

But it's far easier to blame something else than it is to take a look in the mirror and acknowledge the shortcomings in their way of thinking.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GamerwillzPS

[QUOTE="Zurrur"]

Animal-Mother

Well, he's right though. They happen all the time, people are dying all the time.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Riadon2

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="Zurrur"]

GamerwillzPS

Well, he's right though. They happen all the time, people are dying all the time.

I really don't care about shootings if I don't know any of the involved, but plenty of people do.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

clyde46

Its the easiest thing to blame. These are old farts that have lost touch with today's generation. They blamed music, they blamed movies and now they are blaming video games. Many people still dont really understand what video games are, all they seen is what they are told.

Well to be fair, violence in movies and games can influence people, but that depends on the individual and how mentally sound they are. There are also some studies that suggest it's not healthy to be exposed to game and movie violence over long periods, but there are counter studies that suggest it has no effect.

In the end it depends on the indivual. People are unfortunately going to use this tragedy to push forward their own agendas, it's just political bullying as far as I'm concerned. That's what Jack Tohmpson is currently doing as well. I have sent a letter to the White House outlying the gun control measures I would like to see implemented in our society, this coming from a gun owner who owns over 5 guns and conceal carries.

PM me if you want the details of it. I have gotten good support from both fellow gun owners and the anti gun crowd and I was even on my local news.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 clyde46

GamerwillzPS

And here is where we go off on a tangent..
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Animal-Mother

GamerwillzPS

If people didn't care, than why the hell is it plastered all over the media. I can accept the fact people die all the time by grudges and people who are angry at one another. But someone who walks into a school and slays 20 children should care a bit. Showing no remorse is just awful.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ShadowMoses900

Zurrur

I really hate people like you. You're going to hell, I hope you know that.

But I know I'm going to regret this, the only way to deal with your kind is just to ignore them entirely.

How can no one feel bad about a bunch of little kids being murdered?

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
Not very many people seem to get what the real problem is - the way we handle the mentally ill.
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

GTA is a game for adults and as an an adult I think I can decide what to play by myself. Now if parents buy these kind of games to their kids then....

MrJack3690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MrJack3690
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

Ban that guy! :x

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#34 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"] No one cares about school shootings? Are you really that cold?Riadon2

I really don't care about shootings if I don't know any of the involved, but plenty of people do.

See, this is why I hate it when SW threads go off-topic, for the off chance that posters will say stupid sh1t about things that actually matter.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

drinkerofjuice

See, this is why I hate it when SW threads go off-topic, for the off chance that posters will say stupid sh1t about things that actually matter.

Agreed, but unfortunately I have seen worse on Youtube. That place has worse trolls than this place.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Not going to happen.Some of the reasonable dems won't let that game get banned.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GamerwillzPS

[QUOTE="Zurrur"]

ShadowMoses900

But I know I'm going to regret this, the only way to deal with your kind is just to ignore them entirely.

I know it's a cold blooded murder and all, but come on! Hundreds of Pakistani children are being killed by your President's drone!

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts
See, this is why I hate it when SW threads go off-topic, for the off chance that posters will say stupid sh1t about things that actually matter.drinkerofjuice
Its kids being idiots. They say this stuff to get a reaction out of people. And lol at "they happen all the time." If they happened all the time, it wouldn't be plastered all over the media.
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

why the hell is it plastered all over the mediaAnimal-Mother

A while ago there was some stuff all over the media for ages about some .... highly paid beneficiaries in england celebrating a marraige ... what was that thing I didn't care about?

Oh yes, the Royal Wedding.

I don't think that something appearing in the media, means that 'people care'.

But yes I do agree Animal Mother that people should empathasize when thinking of these school shootings, not be so dismissive.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts
Yeah and congress should all be burned alive, but that hasn't happen yet either.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Animal-Mother
[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="Zurrur"] I know and that's why I didn't vote at all this year,

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="Zurrur"]

GamerwillzPS

I know it's a cold blooded murder and all, but come on! Hundreds of Pakistani children are being killed by your President's drone!

I know and that's why I didn't support him this year. It's a shame that doesn't get the same coverage here.
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Riadon2

[QUOTE="drinkerofjuice"][QUOTE="Riadon2"]

ShadowMoses900

Agreed, but unfortunately I have seen worse on Youtube. That place has worse trolls than this place.

Not trolling, I truly have trouble maintaining the empathy that normal people do. I try to feel sad about things like this, but I can't MAKE myself feel sad. I will do my best to make sure that things like this don't happen again, because that is what is best for the country and all of its people, but not because I personally feel deep sadness.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Wow.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
The funny thing is they look for scapegoats like this because they can't come up with any new legitimate reasons to oppose gun control except for "durr 2nd amendment". So let's not ban fully automatic weapons, let's instead ban a bunch of code, that's the real danger here guys, those damn DVD'sbobbetybob
Automatic weapons are extremely regulated.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

lol @ congress

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

"See what it promotes." ?!?!?!?

You have no idea what Grand Theft Auto promotes. You have no right to police the game industry if you have no clue how these games actually affect the minds of the players.

Actually play through the game and then maybe you'll understand.

Grand Theft Auto's story typically shows the misfortune brought about by crime and makes the player want to STAY AWAY from criminal activities.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="Zurrur"]

GamerwillzPS

That is sad too but you don't understand the situation, it's also not "hundreds" of Pakistani children, not even close to that number. And terrorists hide behind kids and bunker down in civlian homes, the US is not targeting civilians. I heard the same argument when Israel was kicking Hamas's ass, children died which is very sad and should never happen, but it was the terrorists that were at fault for it. They were hiding in civilian homes.

I care about it when children are killed regardless of where they are from. We need to build a world where no children are ever harmed. IMO a person who harms a child, either physically or sexually, should recieve either life in prison or the death penalty.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
>Grand Theft Auto's story typically shows the misfortune brought about by crime and makes the player want to STAY AWAY from criminal activities.GeoffZak
Um, I don't think we played the same GTA games.
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Riadon2

[QUOTE="GeoffZak"]>Grand Theft Auto's story typically shows the misfortune brought about by crime and makes the player want to STAY AWAY from criminal activities.Stevo_the_gamer

Yeah, only GTA IV (non EFLC) had that theme that I remember.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="GeoffZak"]>Grand Theft Auto's story typically shows the misfortune brought about by crime and makes the player want to STAY AWAY from criminal activities.Riadon2

Yeah, only GTA IV (non EFLC) had that theme that I remember.

From what I remember, GTA makes a life of crime look undesirable.