uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59064 Posts

Apparently the undeiniably best looking game of 2018 is gud, according to Tom Mc Shea, whom everyone hates. It will glow your heart.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/gris-review-seeing-in-color/1900-6417057/

Gris is joyful and sad, a beautiful ruin, contradictions that make these experiences so exciting. The surprises that lay hidden are not plot twists or unlockable goodies but rather moments when the mechanics perfectly complement the aesthetics. Every element is used to engage your sense of awe. Gris is beautiful, yes, but it uses that beauty like a surgical knife. As you climb to the top of a pyramid, with the sun growing ever brighter and the stars beckoning, it knows to pull back the camera, to show how small you stand against the majesty of the universe.

Don’t dismiss Gris as a game so caught up in its artistic splendor that it forgets what medium it's a part of, though. Strip away the resplendent visual design and enchanting score and Gris would still be enticing because of its sense of movement. The young woman moves with graceful purpose. She’s light on her feet but sure-headed, giving her a weightiness that makes it feel like you’re trying to break free of gravity but can never quite do so. There were sections when I would purposely repeat a series of jumps because it felt so good to skirt against the dreamy sky. New powers are unlocked as you get deeper into the adventure, and all of them add another layer of interactivity that not only expands your horizons but feels good to enact.

Gris understands intrinsically how magical video games can be and continually pushes your imagination until you’re almost bursting with joy. The ways in which it reinvents itself as you gain powers and dive ever deeper into this world is truly special, and just as it knows exactly when to pull back the camera or introduce a new song, it’s keenly aware of when it's time to say goodbye. Like a comet streaking across the sky, Gris is full of wonder and beauty and leaves you with a warm glow in your heart.

Destructiod - 10

https://www.destructoid.com/review-gris-534591.phtml

EG - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-12-13-gris-review-an-evocative-ethereal-experience-you-dont-want-to-miss

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34660 Posts

I don't hate McShea. I just think he has some weird opinions sometimes and an annoying voice.

That game looks cool. More like a game to chill out with rather than a challenge though. Like Abzu or Journey.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts
@Litchie said:

I don't hate McShea. I just think he has some weird opinions sometimes and an annoying voice.

That game looks cool. More like a game to chill out with rather than a challenge though. Like Abzu or Journey.

^ this, the first thing that came to my mind is 2D Journey

I don't really like the artystyle though

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Loks interesting, but best looking of 2018...nope.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 uninspiredcup

The art-style feels like a mix of Studio Ghibli and Fantastic Planet, particularly the latter.

The platforming is very basic, with what seems "1" button, jump. I wouldn't call it a "walking simulator" as you do actually do stuff, there was a pretty neat section involving timed sand-storms, that wasn't exactly taxing, but none the less enjoyable.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24953 Posts

It looks meh. how come it get 9??

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Because they love games you don't have to play.

see also, journey, uncharted, god of war 2018.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69692 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Sorry, while God of War at times is cutscene heavy it has strong gameplay and lots of it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup
@ghosts4ever said:

It's pretty good actually. At first I was worried it was going to be a shitty walking simulator, but you get platforming and light puzzles as the game goes on. Again, not taxing, it's basically a relax game where you piss off to some alien world for a half hour.

Soundtrack A+

Loading Video...

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24953 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

It's pretty good actually. At first I was worried it was going to be a shitty walking simulating, but you get platforming and light puzzles as the game goes on. Again, not taxing, it's basically a relax game where you piss off to some alien world for a half hour.

Soundtrack A+

Loading Video...

too girly for me.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

The pricks got me by the balls with their gorgeous 2d animation. It's like 70's LSD-induced animated movies, but with a measure of restraint. Will have to buy it no matter what, being an actual good game would be a feather in its cap.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#12 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I really like the art and music

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Thanks for sharing, you got me interested lol. The art is pretty and music is nice. Added to my list.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bread_or_Decide

@Pedro said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Sorry, while God of War at times is cutscene heavy it has strong gameplay and lots of it.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Gamespot employees were clearly tripping on some pretty odd mushrooms when they wrote that particular 'masterpiece' of game journalism. Sheesh.

Game that looks and plays like a mediocre art school project should not get anything above 6.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide: I wouldn't put God of War 2018 in the same category as those others. It has very good combat and it's mostly very gameplay driven. There is a lot to that game. I just wish it had stronger boss fights. The regular, crowd managing battles are far more interesting and engaging.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46442 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

It's pretty good actually.

Of course it's good. It's by Devolver Digital.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@tgob89 said:

It has a very elegant art style that is very easy on the eyes and strangely reminds me of Journey. Though indie, it seems highly polished so I see someone giving this game high marks.

I may check this out later, thanks for the share.

also..

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@ghosts4ever said:

see also..., god of war 2018.

Games you don't have to play...

>

God of war 2018...

PICK ONE!

You're confirming you're a brain dead jealous fanboy who is ignorant as shit about games.

Suggesting you don't actually have to play God of War 2018, you sound like an f'ing idiot.

Did you have a bad day bruh?

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

Another pse-do indie game.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@blackballs said:

It's not bad at all to have them...as filler

But when you have lemmings that dropped $500 on Xbox1X and hermits who dropped over $700 - $1500 on powerful rigs who ultimately have to run back trying to hype games like these as reasons they own their systems over real high caliber AAA exclusive alternatives with better graphics on cheaper hardware it becomes a joke.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

@tgob89 said:
@blackballs said:

It's not bad at all to have them...as filler

But when you have lemmings that dropped $500 on Xbox1X and hermits who dropped over $700 - $1500 on powerful rigs who ultimately have to run back trying to hype games like these as reasons they own their systems over real high caliber AAA exclusive alternatives with better graphics on cheaper hardware it becomes a joke.

Lol for real. Its funny because the only system showing off the graphical powerhouse that it is - the ps4. GOW and HZD crap on anything on the PC.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#23 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Uncharted and God of War are both cutscene heavy games, but you still have to pay attention to what you're doing in them, especially with God of War. God of War also had those damn valkyrie challenges. If that's not the definition of gameplay, I don't know what is...

As for Gris... I feel like the exclusion of combat/consequences is a waste, because they could have come up with some excellent enemy design using that art style. I kinda want to try it out, but to be honest, no combat is a turn off for me.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts
@tgob89 said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Uncharted and God of War are both cutscene heavy games, but you still have to pay attention to what you're doing in them, especially with God of War. God of War also had those damn valkyrie challenges. If that's not the definition of gameplay, I don't know what is...

As for Gris... I feel like the exclusion of combat/consequences is a waste, because they could have come up with some excellent enemy design using that art style. I kinda want to try it out, but to be honest, no combat is a turn off for me.

These desperate no game having MS clowns should learn what good gameplay is but that's asking for the impossible. it's not like they get any games that actually excel in great gameplay to begin with.

PS fans have always had games with the highest skill caps.

Our top games always have some of the best gameplay/combat in their respective genres.

It's all fun and games for dumb fanboys to scream movie games and no gamepaly for every Sony exclusive they see but NONE of their games have the high skill requirement for gameplay that our games provide...

The most complex thing they have is Pew pew shooters, da f@ck they know bout good gameplay?

Non-gamer shitposters like Bread_or_Decide should just be quiet about gameplay, the games they hype and play don't qualified them to even speak on the subject.

uh oh, someone set off the cash_angry wannabe

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JustPlainLucas
@drlostrib said:

I.... I don't know what just happened....

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58375 Posts

Looks like a fun game!

Just wondering, though: why is this in System Wars instead of Games Discussion? At least there we could have a nice conversation instead of...

@JustPlainLucas said:
@drlostrib said:

...turning it into what just happened.

Yeah was enjoying all the positive commentary about this lovely and intriguing game, but then someone was triggered by...something? Good lord almighty, calm the F down, folks.

Seriously mods, I don't want to tell you how to do your job, but can we maybe start moving threads en masse to Games Discussion that belong there?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JustPlainLucas
@mrbojangles25 said:

Looks like a fun game!

Just wondering, though: why is this in System Wars instead of Games Discussion? At least there we could have a nice conversation instead of...

@JustPlainLucas said:
@drlostrib said:

...turning it into what just happened.

Yeah was enjoying all the positive commentary about this lovely and intriguing game, but then someone was triggered by...something? Good lord almighty, calm the F down, folks.

Seriously mods, I don't want to tell you how to do your job, but can we maybe start moving threads en masse to Games Discussion that belong there?

Yeah... would be nice if we could take all the not terrible threads and put them into GD. That place is a serious ghost town.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

Game has some cool artstyle, but the run and jump sim isn't the most exhilarating gameplay. Looks like a 2D Journey, and I only gave Journey a 7 at best.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DragonfireXZ95
@tgob89 said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@ghosts4ever said:

These desperate no game having MS clowns should learn what good gameplay is but that's asking for the impossible. it's not like they get any games that actually excel in great gameplay to begin with.

PS fans have always had games with the highest skill caps.

Our top games always have some of the best gameplay/combat in their respective genres.

It's all fun and games for dumb fanboys to scream movie games and no gamepaly for every Sony exclusive they see but NONE of their games have the high skill requirement for gameplay that our games provide...

Loading Video...

The most complex thing they have is Pew pew shooters, da f@ck they know bout good gameplay?

Non-gamer shitposters like Bread_or_Decide should just be quiet about gameplay, the games they hype and play don't qualified them to even speak on the subject.

I love how the enemies don't fight back. Just button mash until they're dead. So difficult.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JustPlainLucas
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

I love how the enemies don't fight back. Just button mash until they're dead. So difficult.

I'm at work, so can't watch the video, so I'm just going on memory, but I remember when I did the Muspelheim trials, the enemies fought back. A lot. I tried button mashing, but I died. A lot.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
@JustPlainLucas said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

I'm at work, so can't watch the video, so I'm just going on memory, but I remember when I did the Muspelheim trials, the enemies fought back. A lot. I tried button mashing, but I died. A lot.

I haven't played the game, but that video is almost literally all button mashing. He dodges twice throughout the whole thing. It was a bad video to post to highlight gameplay.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95: Come on man they fight back plenty. GOW has a legitimate challenge compare to many shit out there. The difficult modes are legit. Thats just a fully progressed build pretty much end game Kratos and BOY. The player is also chaining together skills then just button mashing.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JustPlainLucas
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

I haven't played the game, but that video is almost literally all button mashing. He dodges twice throughout the whole thing. It was a bad video to post to highlight gameplay.

Well, as someone who did try button mashing, I can attest that didn't work. At least for me. I had to, as they say, git gud? Well, I know for a fact that the Queen Valkyrie can't be beaten by button mashing. I was driven damn near crazy because of that bitch.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

That's pretty obvious everyone, your comment is pretty dumb and also proves you don't know shit about skill dependent gameplay.

The game was being played on "Give Me God of War" there. lol but you're suggesting the enemies don't hit...Tell us more!!!

Santa Monica made a mode called, "Give Me a Story" for no skill having plebs like you. You can't even tell what's going on you're so clueless about games that actually require skill to play.

All the skill as in timing attacks, cancelling, precise moment, weapon switching between combos, parrying into stuns, rift activation, rune swap trigger follow ups, air juggling ect is the reason he wasn't being hit you fool. But to a noob like you...it simply looked like button mashing and dodging, right, RIGHT?

When you watch a professional boxing match you probably only see two guys just throwing punches and moving around in a circle too.

Clearly the only things you should be judging are pew pew shootings games and grade school level combat in 3rd rate action games like The Witcher 3.

CLEARLY you don't even know what a game that requires skill to play even looks like.

Here is a little tutorial so you can get an idea about what is actually going on little guy...

Loading Video...

Talks of "button mashing" from a Witcher 3 player lol.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@tgob89 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

That's pretty obvious everyone, your comment is pretty dumb and also proves you don't know shit about skill dependent gameplay.

The game was being played on "Give Me God of War" there. lol but you're suggesting the enemies don't hit...Tell us more!!!

Santa Monica made a mode called, "Give Me a Story" for no skill having plebs like you. You can't even tell what's going on you're so clueless about games that actually require skill to play.

All the skill as in timing attacks, cancelling, precise moment, weapon switching between combos, parrying into stuns, rift activation, rune swap trigger follow ups, air juggling ect is the reason he wasn't being hit you fool. But to a noob like you...it simply looked like button mashing and dodging, right, RIGHT?

When you watch a professional boxing match you probably only see two guys just throwing punches and moving around in a circle too.

Clearly the only things you should be judging are pew pew shootings games and grade school level combat in 3rd rate action games like The Witcher 3.

CLEARLY you don't even know what a game that requires skill to play even looks like.

Here is a little tutorial so you can get an idea about what is actually going on little guy...

Button mash in TW3 and you die. Button mash in GoW and you die.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

too girly for me.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56194 Posts

@mandzilla said:
@ghosts4ever said:

too girly for me.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

This is one of the most visually striking games I’ve ever seen.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Maybe I'm just a caveman clod. But, I just don't see the "art" and why games like it are automatically considered art. ;) ......anything with pastel or neon, I suppose.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JustPlainLucas
@jun_aka_pekto said:

Maybe I'm just a caveman clod. But, I just don't see the "art" and why games like it are automatically considered art. ;)

I don't know... I don't see why a men's urinal attached to a wall is art, or how someone can get away with painting a canvas black and sell it for tens of thousands of dollars. Ever heard the expression "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder?" Applies to art as well. People usually consider games like Gris art because they usually evoke emotions.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@JustPlainLucas: The majority of UC4 can be played with 1 hand...

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DragonfireXZ95
@tgob89 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Loading Video...

Funny you should say that. In that same video, at 46:50, he does a combo and then says he didn't even mean to do that. Lmao

This video is a bit better, but it's not exactly helping your case.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide: So I guess the valkarye queen will be defeated in a cutscene. I don't have to fight her or anything by dying over and over again, right?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JustPlainLucas
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Funny you should say that. In that same video, at 46:50, he does a combo and then says he didn't even mean to do that. Lmao

Honestly, don't judge the game by videos. You need to play the game for yourself to really get the feel of it. I guarantee you the challenges can't be beat with just button mashing, even on normal.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DragonfireXZ95
@JustPlainLucas said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Honestly, don't judge the game by videos. You need to play the game for yourself to really get the feel of it. I guarantee you the challenges can't be beat with just button mashing, even on normal.

Yeah, I don't doubt that it has some harder gameplay segments; I'm really just trolling him. Lol