Great PS3 RPGs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mstc_Q
Member since 2007 • 1901 Posts

FF13 has a lot of potential - but we'll ignore that one for the sake of this thread;

Does PS3 have any good RPGs out? Will it have any good ones within the next year?

So far this generation looks a little deprived in the realm of the RPG. The only one that looks any good at all is Mass Effect, and that's on the computer anyway.

I'm just curious because my wife is a big fan.

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts

Folklore is about it. Disgaea 3 is due in August, and Valkyrie is due in November, both will be killer for the ps3.

As per this gen, there's a few, Lost Odyssey is a killer title, Blue Dragon is okay, Enchanted Arms is passable...

mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mstc_Q

Valkarie might have potential.

I wonder what happened, Playstation was once THE RPG fan's system. What ever happened to Grandia and Vagrant Story and games like that?

I guess it would be pretty dang expensive to design it for the PS3...

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

Folklore is about it. Disgaea 3 is due in August, and Valkyrie is due in November, both will be killer for the ps3.

As per this gen, there's a few, Lost Odyssey is a killer title, Blue Dragon is okay, Enchanted Arms is passable...

Andrew_Xavier

How the "mighty" JRPG has fallen, ive only played LO for an hour so far, due to course finishing, but damn .... its boring, does it pick up? even the first fight ( That Siege weapon ) nearly put me to sleep, similar RPG elements to those tedious grind flash RPG's. Attack, Defend, Item zzzZZzzz

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts
valkarye and Disgaea are two great RPGs for the PS3, its a shame there is no 360 version.... i might end up bying a PS3 slim (if they ever launch one) just for these 2
ejstrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ejstrup
Member since 2005 • 2192 Posts
[QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"]

Meu2k7

How the "mighty" JRPG has fallen, ive only played LO for an hour so far, due to course finishing, but damn .... its boring, does it pick up? even the first fight ( That Siege weapon ) nearly put me to sleep, similar RPG elements to those tedious grind flash RPG's. Attack, Defend, Item zzzZZzzz

It doesn't :(

I couldn't get myself to finish it, and I like jrpgs usually :(

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Andrew_Xavier
[QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"]

Meu2k7

Siege weapon is an easy fight, it's the prologue (teaching) battle, wait for the first boss fight and you'll get that the boss battles are all puzzles. Also, it picks up, quickly, once you get into dreams and more free roaming and such. Attack/defend/item won't work with any future Boss Battle. Heck, won't work for most reg battle.

thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts
oh god... its june 2008 already and we are still talking about the ps3's 'potential'. What does that tell you about this barren, RPG free wasteland that the ps3 inhabits.
crispytheone88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 crispytheone88
Member since 2006 • 901 Posts
[QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"]

Meu2k7

Its a story driven JRPG, what did you expect?

Every JRPG, with the exception of a very few, I have never liked fighting

vicmackey39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 vicmackey39
Member since 2008 • 2416 Posts

white knight story, FF13, disgaea 3 and valkyria chronicles have potential

unfortunately that's only 4 games. The DS gets that many RPGs in 1 day

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 st1ka
the truth is if you want JRPGs you best bet for now is the 360
Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Andrew_Xavier

white knight story

vicmackey39

WKS got delayed again...who knows if it's even going to come out this gen.

mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mstc_Q

oh god... its june 2008 already and we are still talking about the ps3's 'potential'. What does that tell you about this barren, RPG free wasteland that the ps3 inhabits. thegoldenpoo

It's not like the other consoles are any better,

Mass Effect is the only decent looking one; the rest look like flops similar to Dragon Quest 8.

mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mstc_Q

vicmackey39

Oh right, I forgot about white knight story.

That looked cool at least...

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Meu2k7
[QUOTE="Meu2k7"][QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"]

Andrew_Xavier

Siege weapon is an easy fight, it's the prologue (teaching) battle, wait for the first boss fight and you'll get that the boss battles are all puzzles. Also, it picks up, quickly, once you get into dreams and more free roaming and such.

Ok, good to hear, I'l keep it, was going to send it back to LOVEFILM to reserve Smash Bros isntead, but I'l send civilizations: Revolution back instead :P

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 st1ka

[QUOTE="thegoldenpoo"]oh god... its june 2008 already and we are still talking about the ps3's 'potential'. What does that tell you about this barren, RPG free wasteland that the ps3 inhabits. mstc_Q

Mass Effect is the only decent looking one; the rest look like flops similar to Dragon Quest 8.

try lost odyssey and eternal sonata,

stay away from blue dragon

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Andrew_Xavier
[QUOTE="mstc_Q"]

[QUOTE="thegoldenpoo"]oh god... its june 2008 already and we are still talking about the ps3's 'potential'. What does that tell you about this barren, RPG free wasteland that the ps3 inhabits. st1ka

I like Blue Dragon :?

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

vicmackey39

Well DS gets alot of shovelware everyday, but in here we were talking about RPGS (i assume good ones)..

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"][QUOTE="mstc_Q"]

[QUOTE="thegoldenpoo"]oh god... its june 2008 already and we are still talking about the ps3's 'potential'. What does that tell you about this barren, RPG free wasteland that the ps3 inhabits. Andrew_Xavier

I like Blue Dragon :?

i thought it was an ok game, not bad, not good, it was ok, acceptable, but lots of people bash the game so i just thought i would play it safe (of course whether or not half of these people actually played the game is another story)

mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mstc_Q
I could be way off on Lost Oddysey, but it doesn't look that good in the realm of gameplay. One of the things that makes final fantasy games so addicting is that every one has something unique about it; that changes the genre slightly. Albeit some changes are more worse than better.
EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts

the truth is if you want JRPGs you best bet for now is the 360st1ka
True.

Not many great RPGs out on PS3, if any.

vicmackey39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 vicmackey39
Member since 2008 • 2416 Posts

right now 360 is the home console for RPGs. Mass Effect, Fable 2, Star Ocean 3, Infinite Undiscovery, Tales of Vesparia, Cry On, Eternal Sonata etc

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 st1ka

I could be way off on Lost Oddysey, but it doesn't look that good in the realm of gameplay. One of the things that makes final fantasy games so addicting is that every one has something unique about it; that changes the genre slightly. Albeit some changes are more worse than better.mstc_Q

all i can tell you is this, lost odyssey felt more like a final fantasy game then FF X ever did to me

mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mstc_Q

[QUOTE="mstc_Q"]I could be way off on Lost Oddysey, but it doesn't look that good in the realm of gameplay. One of the things that makes final fantasy games so addicting is that every one has something unique about it; that changes the genre slightly. Albeit some changes are more worse than better.st1ka

all i can tell you is this, lost odyssey felt more like a final fantasy game then FF X ever did to me

FFX is one of my favorites though (And my wife's for that matter)

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"]

[QUOTE="mstc_Q"]I could be way off on Lost Oddysey, but it doesn't look that good in the realm of gameplay. One of the things that makes final fantasy games so addicting is that every one has something unique about it; that changes the genre slightly. Albeit some changes are more worse than better.mstc_Q

FFX is one of my favorites though (And my wife's for that matter)

personally i didnt like it

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

I wonder what happened, Playstation was once THE RPG fan's system. What ever happened to Grandia and Vagrant Story and games like that?

mstc_Q
The Japanese gaming market has shifted heavily towards the handheld. The DS especially.
mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mstc_Q
[QUOTE="mstc_Q"]

ThePlothole

The Japanese gaming market has shifted heavily towards the handheld. The DS especially.

Yeah... It's actually probably better there.

But it leaves these big expensive consoles to the novelties (Except for things like MGS4 of course.)

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Andrew_Xavier

I could be way off on Lost Oddysey, but it doesn't look that good in the realm of gameplay. One of the things that makes final fantasy games so addicting is that every one has something unique about it; that changes the genre slightly. Albeit some changes are more worse than better.mstc_Q

Gameplay in LO is unique, like I said earlier, all boss battles are puzzles, you need to figure out how to solve the puzzle to win the battle (something that wasn't mentioned in the review...), it's very fun if you like puzzles, no so much if you like real time.

mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mstc_Q

[QUOTE="mstc_Q"]I could be way off on Lost Oddysey, but it doesn't look that good in the realm of gameplay. One of the things that makes final fantasy games so addicting is that every one has something unique about it; that changes the genre slightly. Albeit some changes are more worse than better.Andrew_Xavier

Gameplay in LO is unique, like I said earlier, all boss battles are puzzles, you need to figure out how to solve the puzzle to win the battle (something that wasn't mentioned in the review...), it's very fun if you like puzzles, no so much if you like real time.

Yeah... it's a shame that the X-Box doesn't have anything as awesome as MGS4 though, otherwise I might pick it up to whet my RPG appetite.

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Andrew_Xavier
[QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"]

[QUOTE="mstc_Q"]I could be way off on Lost Oddysey, but it doesn't look that good in the realm of gameplay. One of the things that makes final fantasy games so addicting is that every one has something unique about it; that changes the genre slightly. Albeit some changes are more worse than better.mstc_Q

Yeah... it's a shame that the X-Box doesn't have anything as awesome as MGS4 though, otherwise I might pick it up to whet my RPG appetite.

MGS4 is in no way an RPG.

TheNuyorican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheNuyorican
Member since 2008 • 331 Posts
[QUOTE="vicmackey39"]

white knight story

Andrew_Xavier

When was this?

Man, whats up with all these delays..

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Andrew_Xavier
[QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"][QUOTE="vicmackey39"]

white knight story

TheNuyorican

When was this?

2ch said they were putting a hold on wks development to finish some ds project.

mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mstc_Q

MGS4 is in no way an RPG. Andrew_Xavier

No, it's not.

But it does happen to be part of my favorite franchise.

Meaning that I'm looking for reasons to buy the PS3, and I happen to like RPGs too.

TheNuyorican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheNuyorican
Member since 2008 • 331 Posts
[QUOTE="TheNuyorican"][QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"][QUOTE="vicmackey39"]

white knight story

Andrew_Xavier

When was this?

2ch said they were putting a hold on wks development to finish some ds project.

Damn the DS..

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
[QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"]

Meu2k7

Lost Odyssey never picks up. :|

SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SSCyborg
Member since 2007 • 7625 Posts
So much for JRPG King. :lol:
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Meu2k7
[QUOTE="Meu2k7"][QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"]

thrones

Is that serious or sarcasm? I cant tell with that smiley :I

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
So much for JRPG King. :lol:SSCyborg
People shouldn't have assumed that this was guaranteed just because of its predecessors. The SNES was the RPG king of its day, and yet the N64 had very few even worth mentioning.
Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Andrew_Xavier
[QUOTE="thrones"][QUOTE="Meu2k7"][QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"]

Meu2k7

Gotta be sarcasm, I've never heard of a jrpg fan who doesn't like lost odyssey.

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
[QUOTE="thrones"][QUOTE="Meu2k7"][QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"]

Meu2k7

Serious. I got all the way to disc two, read the rest of the strategy guide to get the story and watched the youtube video of the cutscenes.

Couldn't bring myself to play any more, the first disc was probably the best imo.

cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#41 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts
[QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"]

Meu2k7

The game pick's up as soon as Jansen joins your party.