GotY 2011 Confirmed

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

So, for all of you who were wailing about The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword not changing the formula, here goes:

1. It is possible to play almost the entire game in first person mode. You can walk around in first person mode, interact with objects in first person mode, and more. (Kotaku)

2. There are dialog choices when you talk with anybody. (Destructoid)

3. Zelda is apparently Link's girlfriend in this game. There is one other character who has a huge crush on Zelda, so he tries to sabotage Link. He may end up selling out to the bad guys, and lead to the corruption of the Triforce of Power.

4. There are save points, specific save statues like Majora's Mask

5. Fi (your partner in this game) is voice acted. She is supposed to sound like GLaDOS.

6. THE MUSIC

7. The game leads up to Ganondorf's rise, the populating of Hyrule, the first sealing away of the Triforce, the founding of the Sacred Realm, the forging of the Master Sword, and more

8. No one dungeon can ever be completedin one go in this game. You start a dungeon, get inside it, reach a dead end, leave with whatever you found in the dungeon, go to another dungeon with your new item, get deeper inside it with the new item, find another new item, return to the first dungeon with the new item to get deeper. Sort of like Metroid Prime.

9. There is an upgrade system for all your equipment and gear in this game. At least six shields and four swords, along with three different kinds of tunics, are currently confirmed.

So, not only does this look like the definitive 3D Zelda game, it also seems to be mixing up the traditional gameplay and story formula very well.

And my hype for the game just shot through the stratosphere.

WarTornRuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 WarTornRuston
Member since 2011 • 2712 Posts

I thought this would be a serious post. Zelda? Moving on.......

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

It sounds so promising.Looking forward to it.

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#4 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

Yes Dynasty Warriors 7 will be game of the year! :o

:P

Man Skyward Sword sounds so awesome though...

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#5 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

TL;DR :P

I'm kidding, I did read it (some of it, annoying fonts) but you know as well as I do, Char, that Dark Souls is the GotY. Skyward Sword can be a close second.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

I thought this would be a serious post. Zelda? Moving on.......

WarTornRuston
Did you read the OP? No? Moving on...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

I'm kidding, I did read it (some of it, annoying fonts) but you know as well as I do, Char, that Dark Souls is the GotY. Skyward Sword can be a close second.

calvinsora
Nah. This looks like traditional Zelda, rebooted to feel fresh, with an incredible new control scheme, the Nintendo sheen and shine, and come on, it's almost unfair to expect any other game to feel as good.
SquirrelTamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SquirrelTamer
Member since 2011 • 1185 Posts
And what has all this got to do with GOTY?
PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts
Wow, my hype shot up a lot! Can't wait!!
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts
again ... not impressive list of features.... nintendo fans are too easily pleased with these simple games,
calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 calvinsora

[QUOTE="calvinsora"]

charizard1605

Nah. This looks like traditional Zelda, rebooted to feel fresh, with an incredible new control scheme, the Nintendo sheen and shine, and come on, it's almost unfair to expect any other game to feel as good.

OK, if this is the SMG2 of Zeldas, then yes, this will be GotY. But Dark Souls!

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts
again ... not impressive list of features.... nintendo fans are too easily pleased with these simple games,PC360Wii
Yet lemmings and cows shout away with GeoW and Uncharted.Those are the deep,complex ones.
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PC360Wii
6 shields, 4 swords 3 tunics... whoa whoa WHOA! nintendo dont give me too much will you?
calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 calvinsora

again ... not impressive list of features.... nintendo fans are too easily pleased with these simple games,PC360Wii

You say that as if complexity ever made a game good.

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#16 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

Nothing wrong with simple games, bro.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
And what has all this got to do with GOTY?SquirrelTamer
My answer [QUOTE="charizard1605"] Nah. This looks like traditional Zelda, rebooted to feel fresh, with these all new features, with an incredible new control scheme, the Nintendo sheen and shine, and come on, it's almost unfair to expect any other game to feel as good.

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
Wow all that sounds pretty d*** amazing, thanks for the post Chairzard! Gotta admit, my hype has gone up.
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
It will be Wii's GOTY compared to other Wii titles released this year, oh wait, what other Wii titles? Zelda getting GOTY when you have TW2, Skyrim, Batman AC, BF3, Dark Souls, Gears 3 in the same year? Lol you can keep telling you that Zelda is superior but in reality there will be at least 5 games that will have much higher chance of obtaining GOTY.
Solid_Sterb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Solid_Sterb
Member since 2010 • 1703 Posts

8. No one dungeon can ever be completedin one go in this game. You start a dungeon, get inside it, reach a dead end, leave with whatever you found in the dungeon, go to another dungeon with your new item, get deeper inside it with the new item, find another new item, return to the first dungeon with the new item to get deeper. Sort of like Metroid Prime.

charizard1605

More like Metroid? Yes, please!

The more I hear about Skyward Sword, the more amazing it sounds.

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PC360Wii

[QUOTE="PC360Wii"]again ... not impressive list of features.... nintendo fans are too easily pleased with these simple games,calvinsora

Not so much about complexity as it is how kiddish and easy Zelda/Mario are... I was fine when I was 6-15 years old.... now they feel like nothing at all =/
TrapJak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TrapJak
Member since 2011 • 2933 Posts

It can't be GOTY with Uncharted 3 coming.

But seriously, this Zelda will be LEGENDARY! Though I am not fond of Zelda and Link being a couple. I thought that would stay in the WW realm.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

[QUOTE="PC360Wii"]again ... not impressive list of features.... nintendo fans are too easily pleased with these simple games,calvinsora

Joking?
gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

Looks like a lot of changes. Zelda taking a Metroid-style route? Much more interested in buying now, personally. Problem is, backtracking is not exactly wildly popular with everyone else.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts
It will be Wii's GOTY compared to other Wii titles released this year, oh wait, what other Wii titles? Zelda getting GOTY when you have TW2, Skyrim, Batman AC, BF3, Dark Souls, Gears 3 in the same year? Lol you can keep telling you that Zelda is superior but in reality there will be at least 5 games that will have much higher chance of obtaining GOTY.silversix_
If Xenoblade gets a fair shake at it (I don't knOw if theyll include it since it didn't release on NA) I could see it being picked over SS easily :P
SquirrelTamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SquirrelTamer
[QUOTE="SquirrelTamer"]And what has all this got to do with GOTY?charizard1605
My answer [QUOTE="charizard1605"] Nah. This looks like traditional Zelda, rebooted to feel fresh, with these all new features, with an incredible new control scheme, the Nintendo sheen and shine, and come on, it's almost unfair to expect any other game to feel as good.

Meh I rather have Dark Souls which is like a dark Zelda and better in every way. It's like the flower and Zelda is the seed. We had a nice time with you Zelda but now it's time to say goodbye.
MrJack3690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MrJack3690
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

charizard1605

Holy crap, that should add tons of gametime. As long as they aren't copy-pasted (which I don't expect them to be) or too repetetive or just simply similar to grinding for hours, then this is awesome!

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23890 Posts

It looks great, could possibly be my favorite game this year. But I would never say anything is GOTY confirmed. GS are very unpredictable.

Oh and as for dialogue options, they will mean nothing if they have no impact. *Glares at Bioware*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Meh I rather have Dark Souls which is like a dark Zelda and better in every way. It's like the flower and Zelda is the seed. We had a nice time with you Zelda but now it's time to say goodbye. SquirrelTamer
I'm sad you think so, but I can bet you almost anything that Skyward Sword will outscore Dark Souls (and most other games this year).
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18251 Posts

Oh Charizard, you love 20 page threads right :P

Anyway, i couldn't be more agree with you, no doubt for me it will be GOTY and i have to say, i think it has a good shot in GS.

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 calvinsora

[QUOTE="calvinsora"]

[QUOTE="PC360Wii"]again ... not impressive list of features.... nintendo fans are too easily pleased with these simple games,PC360Wii

Not so much about complexity as it is how kiddish and easy Zelda/Mario are... I was fine when I was 6-15 years old.... now they feel like nothing at all =/

"Kiddish" and "easy" to not a bad game make. SMG2 is, IMO, the best game of this generation because of how well-designed it is. It's a matter of taste, yes, but has nothing to do with simplicity.

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 calvinsora

[QUOTE="calvinsora"]

[QUOTE="PC360Wii"]again ... not impressive list of features.... nintendo fans are too easily pleased with these simple games,lx_theo

Joking?

No, when has complexity in and of itself ever made a game good? Unless I'm mistaken, actual design is key there.

SquirrelTamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SquirrelTamer
[QUOTE="SquirrelTamer"]Meh I rather have Dark Souls which is like a dark Zelda and better in every way. It's like the flower and Zelda is the seed. We had a nice time with you Zelda but now it's time to say goodbye. charizard1605
I'm sad you think so, but I can bet you almost anything that Skyward Sword will outscore Dark Souls (and most other games this year).

Well that I don't care about for one second. Review scores doesn't say anything IMO unless it's like a 3 from every site.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
[QUOTE="SquirrelTamer"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="SquirrelTamer"] My answer [QUOTE="charizard1605"] Nah. This looks like traditional Zelda, rebooted to feel fresh, with these all new features, with an incredible new control scheme, the Nintendo sheen and shine, and come on, it's almost unfair to expect any other game to feel as good.

Meh I rather have Dark Souls which is like a dark Zelda and better in every way. It's like the flower and Zelda is the seed. We had a nice time with you Zelda but now it's time to say goodbye.

dark souls doesn't have jack on zelda when it comes to puzzle solving
SquirrelTamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SquirrelTamer

[QUOTE="lx_theo"][QUOTE="calvinsora"]

calvinsora

Joking?

No, when has complexity in and of itself ever made a game good? Unless I'm mistaken, actual design is key there.

Well I agree with you there. But one thing though I think depth in itself makes a game good. But depth and simpleness aren't opposites.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="SquirrelTamer"]Meh I rather have Dark Souls which is like a dark Zelda and better in every way. It's like the flower and Zelda is the seed. We had a nice time with you Zelda but now it's time to say goodbye. SquirrelTamer

Well that I don't care about for one second. Review scores doesn't say anything IMO unless it's like a 3 from every site.

Fine, I could bet that this would be a better game, but I am not sure how we will determine that.
AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
Good Zelda game but not GOTY....not even close.........maybe Skyrim, Batman AC, BF3, Dark Souls or Gears 3.
SquirrelTamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SquirrelTamer
[QUOTE="SquirrelTamer"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]Shinobishyguy

dark souls doesn't have jack on zelda when it comes to puzzle solving

Cause there are none. And tbh from what I've played the "puzzles" in Zelda are totally lame. It's like move one big stone so you can reach a door out of reach or something. Seriously it's on the level of Uncharted puzzles.
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PC360Wii

[QUOTE="PC360Wii"][QUOTE="calvinsora"]

calvinsora

"Kiddish" and "easy" to not a bad game make. SMG2 is, IMO, the best game of this generation because of how well-designed it is. It's a matter of taste, yes, but has nothing to do with simplicity.

Depends, If there is no interesting story, if tTO ME.here is no challenge, if there is a novelty that wares off (zelda and mario especially guilty. then i disagree completely.... that sums up SMG and the latest few zeLDAs to me. "fun" is what YOU make of it I suppose.... zelda and mario have been challengless nostalgia praying childish/overly easy crap since the gamecube... and even moreso with the wii.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="calvinsora"]

[QUOTE="PC360Wii"] Not so much about complexity as it is how kiddish and easy Zelda/Mario are... I was fine when I was 6-15 years old.... now they feel like nothing at all =/PC360Wii

Depends, If there is no interesting story, if tTO ME.here is no challenge, if there is a novelty that wares off (zelda and mario especially guilty. then i disagree completely.... that sums up SMG and the latest few zeLDAs to me. "fun" is what YOU make of it I suppose.... zelda and mario have been challengless nostalgia praying childish/overly easy crap since the gamecube... and even moreso with the wii.

Except this game DOES have a story, and even dialog options, apparently.
SquirrelTamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SquirrelTamer
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="SquirrelTamer"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] I'm sad you think so, but I can bet you almost anything that Skyward Sword will outscore Dark Souls (and most other games this year).

Fine, I could bet that this would be a better game, but I am not sure how we will determine that.

I really doubt that. But yeah useless discussion. At least if Zelda has changed alot since the N64 days. Cause if it's like that then Dark Souls all the way.
calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 calvinsora

[QUOTE="calvinsora"]

[QUOTE="PC360Wii"] Not so much about complexity as it is how kiddish and easy Zelda/Mario are... I was fine when I was 6-15 years old.... now they feel like nothing at all =/PC360Wii

My point is though what you state in the latter paragraph: fun is how you make it. You made a lot more sense in actually explaining what it is you dislike about the new installments now than by simply attributing it to simplicity. I'm all for different opinions, I just want to make sure that those opinions don't infringe upon others.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="SquirrelTamer"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="SquirrelTamer"] Well that I don't care about for one second. Review scores doesn't say anything IMO unless it's like a 3 from every site.

I really doubt that. But yeah useless discussion. At least if Zelda has changed alot since the N64 days. Cause if it's like that then Dark Souls all the way.

Thankfully then, Zelda DOES seem to have changed a lot this time around (although it didn't need to, the traditional formula was still top notch).
calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 calvinsora

[QUOTE="calvinsora"]

[QUOTE="lx_theo"] Joking?SquirrelTamer

Well I agree with you there. But one thing though I think depth in itself makes a game good. But depth and simpleness aren't opposites.

I can agree in part to depth, though as you say, it's possible for simplicity and depth to hold hand in hand. I for one found SMG2 to be both. The green stars really highlighted the depth of the level design, while the controls and lay-out were simplicity itself.

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PC360Wii

[QUOTE="PC360Wii"][QUOTE="calvinsora"]

charizard1605

Oh you get to ask a few questions .... we had optional dialogue in Ocarina of time .... forcing you to say "yes" instead of no when asked to do something important, I dont expect anything more complex than either a) asking about something or b) what I just said. Theres always a story in zelda games ... and mario .... doesnt make them good...... and that brings me back to the kiddy simple crap. Theyre "ok" games .... but im done with them.... really nothing special except in my memory as a child.

Avatar image for Chemical_Viking
Chemical_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Chemical_Viking
Member since 2010 • 2145 Posts

You spelled Skyrim wrong.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Ok I may buy this game now, this is what I've been waiting for in a zelda game. Still I wish you could play it with the classic controller instead of using the wii motion plus.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="PC360Wii"] Depends, If there is no interesting story, if tTO ME.here is no challenge, if there is a novelty that wares off (zelda and mario especially guilty. then i disagree completely.... that sums up SMG and the latest few zeLDAs to me. "fun" is what YOU make of it I suppose.... zelda and mario have been challengless nostalgia praying childish/overly easy crap since the gamecube... and even moreso with the wii.PC360Wii

Oh you get to ask a few questions .... we had optional dialogue in Ocarina of time .... forcing you to say "yes" instead of no when asked to do something important, I dont expect anything more complex than either a) asking about something or b) what I just said. Theres always a story in zelda games ... and mario .... doesnt make them good...... and that brings me back to the kiddy simple crap. Theyre "ok" games .... but im done with them.... really nothing special except in my memory as a child.

Except this game DOES have real dialog options, it has a first person mode, and as far as sheer game design goes, NOTHING comes close to Mario or Zelda.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

The collective gaming press is making it seem unlikely that they'll bother playing anything other than Dark Souls this year.

SquirrelTamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SquirrelTamer

[QUOTE="SquirrelTamer"][QUOTE="calvinsora"]

calvinsora

I can agree in part to depth, though as you say, it's possible for simplicity and depth to hold hand in hand. I for one found SMG2 to be both. The green stars really highlighted the depth of the level design, while the controls and lay-out were simplicity itself.

I haven't played SMG2 but what you said could be applied to the story of Portal 1. Really the simplest story and yet very deep and one of the best. Actually I think too much complexity could hurt the depth. It kinda messes everything up. Look at the two latest assassins creed games, they're very complex yet IMO very shallow. Now both these examples was just about the story but it can be applied to all aspects of a game.