Got 600-700 Dollars, should i buy ps4 or gaming pc?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Romio7754

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Romio7754
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

as the title say i Got 600-700 Dollars, should i buy ps4 or gaming pc? .

Also i don't think this is in the right part of the community. Please correct me if i am wrong

MOD EDIT: Thread moved over from the PC and Mac Discussion Board (which is how it bypassed the 500 post restriction)

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23824 Posts

You can put together a good gaming pc for $700

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23824 Posts

@farrell2k said:

Gaming PCs more than $500 are a waste of money. At $500 you are likely almost doubling the power of the PS4, so why bother going further? You can waste all of your money on an expensive PC, but if I had $700 to play with, I'd buy a PS4 and a Wiiu, instead.

huh? so much BS.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@farrell2k: no

If you have the money for a gaming PC you get one, a Gaming PC and a Wii U is the way to go. You'll get superior Multiplats on PC and the unique games from Nintendo.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@farrell2k said:

Gaming PCs more than $500 are a waste of money. At $500 you are likely almost doubling the power of the PS4, so why bother going further? You can waste all of your money on an expensive PC, but if I had $700 to play with, I'd buy a PS4 and a Wiiu, instead.

500$ with the OS?

Enjoy your crappy case,psu(LOL),small\unexpendable motherboard,etc.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

$800-$900 would be my sweet spot for a capable gaming PC.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

unless you can spend 900-1K, i would just get a console.

much under that and you will have to make enough sacrifices that you wont be able to turn games up high enough for them to look better than what is on the PS4 anyhow. BF4 is a perfect example. PS4 is running BF4 about on par with High settings on PC. in order to run BF4 on PC on ultra, so that it looks better than the console version, you will need -atleast- a 1K gaming PC to get acceptable framerates.

ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts

The PS4 has no games. I think the answer is obvious.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@farrell2k said:

@MonsieurX said:

500$ with the OS?

Enjoy your crappy case,psu(LOL),small\unexpendable motherboard,etc.

And it will still outperform the ps4. What's an "expandable" motherboard? Makes no sense...

Something more than 2 slots of memory,1pci-e

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16517 Posts

@cyloninside said:

much under that and you will have to make enough sacrifices that you wont be able to turn games up high enough for them to look better than what is on the PS4 anyhow. BF4 is a perfect example. PS4 is running BF4 about on par with High settings on PC. in order to run BF4 on PC on ultra, so that it looks better than the console version, you will need -atleast- a 1K gaming PC to get acceptable framerates.

i think the opposite. Gaming PC's are like those disposable razers. The first razer is free and its kick ass, but after 2 weeks, when you need a new blade you need to shell out big $$$. Same principle with consoles and PC's. Consoles are cheaper but the games are ridiculously expensive. PCs are more expensive but the games are much much cheaper and have a much bigger selection. Id put down $500 on a gaming PC, start off with some cheaper parts or go for a second hand pc.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

@cyloninside said:

If your referring to USA dollars then that seems a little high. I did a build in November for a friend and he spent $650 with tax and OS (he's running a FX 8320 which is over 3x the CPU power as the consoles and a GTX 670 OC that's twice as fast as the console GPU).

I'm actually in the process of doing a build right now for a family member and where just over $700 with tax/OS and the specs are great (FX 8320 with R9 280 at 1000mhz).

Hell even if you where lazy you could do a prebuilt FX 8000/lowend i5 tower for $450 and swap the PSU/GPU (You would still be in that price range)

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cyloninside

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@cyloninside said:

i think the opposite. Gaming PC's are like those disposable razers. The first razer is free and its kick ass, but after 2 weeks, when you need a new blade you need to shell out big $$$. Same principle with consoles and PC's. Consoles are cheaper but the games are ridiculously expensive. PCs are more expensive but the games are much much cheaper and have a much bigger selection. Id put down $500 on a gaming PC, start off with some cheaper parts or go for a second hand pc.

a 500 dollar gaming PC cannot produce the graphical levels of a 400 dollar PS4.

you are NOT going to be running BF4 on high settings at 1080 on a 500 dollar PC. you are NOT going to be running watch dogs on high on a 500 dollar PC. you are NOT going to be running AC4 on high on a 500 dollar PC. you are NOT going to be running COD Ghosts on high on a 500 dollar PC.... all of those games are running on equivalent "high" settings on the PS4.

a 500 dollar PC is a bare bones, budget PC. you cannot expect to be running games higher than medium... and probably not at 1080. if you are going to be building a PC.... you might as well save a little longer, get a 1K PC... and have a FAR superior experience.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

I dunno man. Do you want no games or 5,000+ games? Really tough choice. I'd phone a friend or ask the audience.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@farrell2k said:

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts
@FelipeInside said:

@farrell2k said:

I don't think he even knows.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

@cyloninside said:

Eh, console has used games. Pc has used parts. Used gpu for half the price of retail nom. 900/1080p high shouldn't cost too much.

Regardless I'll still get a ps4. Cheaper, devs/pubs always rushes out some unoptimized bs on pc. I suppose they do that due to time constraint and they know pc gamers will shell out for hardware plus it helps sell hardware for the three camps in intel, nv, amd.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I think 700 would build you a nice PC.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blaznwiipspman1

@cyloninside said:

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@cyloninside said:

you are NOT going to be running BF4 on high settings at 1080 on a 500 dollar PC. you are NOT going to be running watch dogs on high on a 500 dollar PC. you are NOT going to be running AC4 on high on a 500 dollar PC. you are NOT going to be running COD Ghosts on high on a 500 dollar PC.... all of those games are running on equivalent "high" settings on the PS4.

a 500 dollar PC is a bare bones, budget PC. you cannot expect to be running games higher than medium... and probably not at 1080. if you are going to be building a PC.... you might as well save a little longer, get a 1K PC... and have a FAR superior experience.

again you can spend $400 on a ps4 and then spend about $350 on games/year, $300 on controllers (one time), $50/year internet also $250 in 2 years when the console breaks down (guaranteed to happen)

OR you can get a decent pc for around $800 and spend much less $$ on games, no charge for internet and much more reliable. You could even get an excellent second hand gaming pc for around $500 on craigslist. PS4 graphics are crap, they call it 1080p but its all BS. Alot of cheap tricks to get it to that level and it doesn't even look that great anyways. A medium 1080p pc >>> 1080p for any console.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cyloninside

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@cyloninside said:

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@cyloninside said:

again you can spend $400 on a ps4 and then spend about $350 on games/year, $300 on controllers (one time), $50/year internet also $250 in 2 years when the console breaks down (guaranteed to happen)

OR you can get a decent pc for around $800 and spend much less $$ on games, no charge for internet and much more reliable. You could even get an excellent second hand gaming pc for around $500 on craigslist. PS4 graphics are crap, they call it 1080p but its all BS. Alot of cheap tricks to get it to that level and it doesn't even look that great anyways. A medium 1080p pc >>> 1080p for any console.

uh....huh. kay.

I buy games on craigslist all the time... for 20-30 dollars for games that are only a month old. you dont have to buy games for 60 dollars if you dont want to.

300 on controllers huh... how many are you buying exactly? they are 65 dollars each.... and it comes with one... so like... its 65 dollars only...

50/year on PSN? you get free games every month, and NOT ancient ones from 5 years ago.... and you can get it for cheaper -alll the time-....

i have had my PS3 60gb since launch day... what is that almost 9 years now? NOT guaranteed to happen...

i have several games that run in 1080p on my PS4.... i dunno what delusions you are talking about.

aside from that. this isnt system wars so dont turn it into system wars. the guy asked for advice. you are trying to start an argument.

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#23 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

If possible always try to squeeze some more money into it, after all its your future wife.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#24  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Here's a solid $700 build for you.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@farrell2k said:

My exact reaction! hahahah

gajbutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gajbutler
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

Make a PC and use parts you already have with your current PC like the case, ram and HDD if you can.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#27  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

@farrell2k said:

huh? so much BS.

ya i was thinking the same thing. A video card that would be double the performance of a ps4 would cost over 500 dollars alone. And the cpu would be over 350 dollars at least. then ram, then case, then ssd/harddrives, etc. Looking at least 1200-1500 dollars for a pc that would be double the performance of a ps4. A cheap barebones pc at 500 will be lucky to match a ps4 and will nowhere near double the performance.

double would be 2x faster load times, 2x faster framerates etc, if thats what he meant

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

A PC in the long run is going to be far more cost-efficient than a ps4.

the limitless number of high quality games available to you at the cost of high-end chewing gum is the obvious reason why. i could explain how you are going to recycle your monitor/keyboard/mouse/case/ram/harddrives but that would take too long to get a simple point across: PC gaming is better and cheaper than consoles at the same time.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cyloninside

@farrell2k said:

@Old_Gooseberry said:

@04dcarraher said:

@farrell2k said:

huh? so much BS.

ya i was thinking the same thing. A video card that would be double the performance of a ps4 would cost over 500 dollars alone. And the cpu would be over 350 dollars at least. then ram, then case, then ssd/harddrives, etc. Looking at least 1200-1500 dollars for a pc that would be double the performance of a ps4. A cheap barebones pc at 500 will be lucky to match a ps4 and will nowhere near double the performance.

double would be 2x faster load times, 2x faster framerates etc, if thats what he meant

Please. You console kids are delusional. A $70 card already matches the performance of the PS4. One could easily build a $500 system with hardware that would nearly double the power of the ps4, but you go ahead and keep denying it.

no... a 70 dollar card does not match the performance of a PS4. that is utter horse shit.

there are far more consideration than just numbers when it comes to consoles..... anyone that knows anything about anything... knows that atleast. you cannot just compare specs. it doesnt work that way. consoles are a closed platform. due to that, developers are able to get -far- more performance out of lesser hardware. there is NO 500 dollar PC out there that can produce the visuals with the same framerates of a game like Infamous Second Son.

go peddle your bullshit hate elsewhere.... and stop trying to turn this into system wars.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#32 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

@farrell2k: u may wanna leave the pc forum cause you don't know shit about pcs

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@romio7754 said:

as the title say i Got 600-700 Dollars, should i buy ps4 or gaming pc? .

Also i don't think this is in the right part of the community. Please correct me if i am wrong

I say get a PS4 for 400$, the rest of the money shop a Laptop or a media centr PC

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

@Old_Gooseberry said:

ya i was thinking the same thing. A video card that would be double the performance of a ps4 would cost over 500 dollars alone. And the cpu would be over 350 dollars at least. then ram, then case, then ssd/harddrives, etc. Looking at least 1200-1500 dollars for a pc that would be double the performance of a ps4.

Uh what ?

My 7870XT Tahiti at stock volts (basically a 2GB version of the 7950) was less than $200 over a year ago and its twice as fast as the consoles GPU ($500 is a joke). The R9 280 is a little bit faster than my card + has more overclocking headroom and its selling for $180-200

Do you realize how slow the consoles CPU is ? (six usable cores at 1.8ghz using architecture that's 20% faster clock for clock than the Athlon series from freaking 2006......). Any modern CPU that's over $100 is going to crush it (I can go to my local computer store and get a FX 6300 with motherboard for $100 and have a CPU that's well over 2x faster).

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@Old_Gooseberry said:

@04dcarraher said:

@farrell2k said:

huh? so much BS.

false, a video card that is twice as fast as ps4 graphics card is not $500...you can get one for like $200.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

A computer is always better value over a longer period than a console. You can always upgrade later, and you can always play last generation games fine unlike consoles. Then when you upgrade you can max out the titles you were playing at mediumish.

It makes about 0 sense to get a ps4/xb1 unless you are looking for a particular Indie game. Just get a Wii U as well with your pc if you want nintendo's exclusives.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

I bought a PS4 at launch, I also built a Steambox PC for under $500 last month. Granted, almost all the parts I bought were on sale, so this PC might have cost closer to $600 if I wasn't watching that. I have a pretty standard AMD FX6300, Radeon 7850 build that is pretty no-frills, but for what I use it for it is ample.

I have tested AC4, Tomb Raider and Injustice on both platforms. My PC plays very similarly to the games I tested on the PS4, in some cases much smoother in places. Not sure where you guys are getting off saying that it can't be done for $500. It is pretty impressive how much performance you can get with a solid build with no bottlenecks, even at lower budgets. And if it gets to where the GPU can't keep up with games coming out in the future, a simple GPU upgrade will fix that.

And the best part, aside from getting games MUCH cheaper on Steam, is the older games from the PS3/360 generation look like PS4 games with all the settings maxed out. All my gaming is done on Steam's Big Picture mode with a 360 controller. If you wouldn't know better, you would swear you were playing on a console.

EDIT: Here, just in case nobody believes me. This is a video put out by Gamespot where they built a PC very similar to mine and compared it to a PS4/XBox One. There you go, clear as crystal proof that a $500 PC can in fact match or surpass a PS4.

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

IMO i gotta say it depends on what your gaming buddys have.... i like to play games with friends so ide go with the system most of your mates have.

altho if thats not a concern then ide go pc... just cos you can upgrade it later.. if you feel like it. oh and steam sales are awesome

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Blutfahne
Member since 2014 • 276 Posts

Do you have to buy monitor as well? If so just get some used stuff off of craigslist. You can find nice monitors for $20.

Romio7754

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Romio7754

@insane_metalist: THanks alot that helped

Romio7754

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Romio7754

@jeager_titan: I cannot post in systems war because i dont have 500 posts yet

Is there any other part like system wars that doesnt require a number of posts

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#44 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts
@romio7754 said:

@jeager_titan: I cannot post in systems war because i dont have 500 posts yet

Is there any other part like system wars that doesnt require a number of posts

I suppose that the limitation on fledgling GameSpot users is a good excuse. :/

With that said, I agree with jeager_titan - this thread belongs in System Wars.

I personally expect a moderator to come over and lock this thread, especially with a title like that.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

You can build a great gaming PC for $700 with a card such as the Radeon R9 270x, a GPU that will absolutely blow away anything the PS4 or Xbox One can do. Build a PC. Then go on to enjoy less expensive, better looking games with free online multiplayer, better support from developers, and a robust toolbox that you can also use for school, work, or both. Oh, and you can upgrade it too. Can't do that with a console.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

if you are confident you could build the pc yourself, get a pc.

if you don't really know how to, or can't access a friend who can provide the supervision, or just aren't enthusiastic about pc gaming - then get the ps4.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

With 600-700$ you can build a PC that annihilates the ps4.

• CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.17 @ OutletPC)
  • Motherboard: ASRock B75 Pro3-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($62.99 @ Newegg)
  • Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
  • Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.98 @ OutletPC)
  • Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 280 3GB IceQ OC Video Card ($189.99 @ Amazon)
  • Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case ($46.93 @ NCIX US)
  • Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $660.03

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-10 08:21 EDT-0400)

Edit: with an additional $220 (190+30) for second R9 280 and stronger psu, you get a pc that perform faster than 290X, GTX780TI, Titan, etc

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

Gaming PC so many games I love my PS4 and defend it but PC has so much playstation not yet but I'd suggest PC can play all the best games in 2048x1440 resolution

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

ps4....they get all the good big name games. pc is boring. you can't even play UFC or madden on it lol. pc sucks shit. how long is the wait for red dead redemption? you will put together a "rig" to NOT play a last gen game? lol fail.