BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

A mildly entertaining look at what you're paying and getting when you decide to buy into "streaming" your games with Stadia.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56227 Posts

As everyone had already said in various threads, Google Stadia will only be viable in markets where very high speed internet is an option. Even then, what's the point? Why would I bother introducing any delay in my games when I don't need to? Everyone loved online DRM until Diablo 3 told you it was too busy to allow you to play a single player game and look how that turn out. The point of Stadia is for casual market that does not want to mess with hardware, and you wont have to pay for hardware. Just your games. And you get to play anywhere with decent internet. That said, casuals don't care much about added latency, 30fps or 60fps, and for them this is by far the cheapest way into gaming, with the best convenience factor. The cost is justify but at the same time, digital gaming is one thing I like about but Streaming is the last thing I wanna do.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3 sealionact  Online
Member since 2014 • 9822 Posts

The man wants to act all serious, but can't even spell "brain".....

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts
@davillain- said:

As everyone had already said in various threads, Google Stadia will only be viable in markets where very high speed internet is an option. Even then, what's the point? Why would I bother introducing any delay in my games when I don't need to? Everyone loved online DRM until Diablo 3 told you it was too busy to allow you to play a single player game and look how that turn out. The point of Stadia is for casual market that does not want to mess with hardware, and you wont have to pay for hardware. Just your games. And you get to play anywhere with decent internet. That said, casuals don't care much about added latency, 30fps or 60fps, and for them this is by far the cheapest way into gaming, with the best convenience factor. The cost is justify but at the same time, digital gaming is one thing I like about but Streaming is the last thing I wanna do.

Or people that are super rich who lives in Google Fiber areas.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8489 Posts

So people can't use calculator or are dumb enough to do basic math that we need a thread?

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

???

The clot in the video is comparing the base 1080/30 PS4(£220) to the free stadia 1080/60 as if it’s £9 for that service.

It’s the 4k/60 that’s monthly payment

If your one of the 100 million or 45 million who game at 1080/30 on PS4 and Xbox one then the option to game at 1080/60 like the majority of pc gamers for the price of the digital copy then it’s a no brainier,if you have the speed

Pc gamers swear by the 60fps as if us console gamers are really missing out

Now the option is there

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44313 Posts

I don’t care how flawlessly I can stream my games or how cheap that they make these services I will always go for a console that can natively play games off of a physical format. For me it’s physical for life.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

This guys video actually kind of sucks. I am not a huge fan of streaming services, but seriously his math is all off base. The next gen consoles are going to be anywhere between $300-$500 by my best guess. Also he needs to include the price for online play on those consoles since that is baked in the $10 a month for Stadia. If you do that they both actually come out pretty even. He also keeps saying full price for games which is true, but it is possible to get a discount on those games if you are a Stadia Pro member.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

LOL streaming.

Thankfully most companies are smart to provide us with options.

Sony PlayStation is continuing with Physical games for another gen. That is awesome. Digital Downloads are another great option.

Streaming is a terrible option but it’s there for the few who can benefit from it. Only a dumb company like Microsoft could mess up so badly and go all in with streaming.

Google Stadia will flop, but it doesn’t matter because Google is the biggest company on the planet. They can keep it going forever like Microsoft does with their trash xbox.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Someone clear this up for me please.

A game can be priced in full at $60, only downloaded and streamed, and could possibly be unplayable if Google takes the service offline - correct?

I don’t have a problem with game streaming, but I do have a problem with paying full price for something you never own. I have purchased games online via Xbox Marketplace - but they are still playable when the system goes offline.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

Someone clear this up for me please.

A game can be priced in full at $60, only downloaded and streamed, and could possibly be unplayable if Google takes the service offline - correct?

I don’t have a problem with game streaming, but I do have a problem with paying full price for something you never own. I have purchased games online via Xbox Marketplace - but they are still playable when the system goes offline.

If Google takes the service offline I'd imagine you'd be SOL, similar to what happened to when people bought games on OnLive. Poof, gone. which would indeed suck.

Fortunately, Google is a much more financially secure company than OnLive could of ever hoped to be. But your point still stands.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Isn't that cleanprincegaming, the Spiderman puddle downgrade guy? ?

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BoxRekt
@Xabiss said:

This guys video actually kind of sucks. I am not a huge fan of streaming services, but seriously his math is all off base. The next gen consoles are going to be anywhere between $300-$500 by my best guess. Also he needs to include the price for online play on those consoles since that is baked in the $10 a month for Stadia. If you do that they both actually come out pretty even. He also keeps saying full price for games which is true, but it is possible to get a discount on those games if you are a Stadia Pro member.

So, basically, a gamer who invests in Stadia could come out appox even to what someone who invests in physical hardware might pay after a generation...

Except your ability to play games will always require internet & Google servers running to get a variable quality on games you'll never own that you've bought at full price. lol that sounds rosy!

BTW: Both PSN and XBL offer discounts on games, but you still actually own those games.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@boxrekt: no, you don't own those games.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BoxRekt
@MonsieurX said:

Sure I do, don't be salty because you're required to buy into streaming to support you favorite brand that will never allow you to own any games again.

It's a sad state for some of you guys who are desperate to spread this nonsense in order to feel better about giving away your rights to own the games you pay for.

Misery loves company but you're on your own with buddy.

Hey buy into streaming if you think it will make your platform overlords happy but don't be mad at the people who are smarter about their investments that will be able to play their games whenever they want, online or offline today or 10 years from now with physical purchases.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Precisely and in 5-10 years when xbox or sony pull online support for those consoles you bought it on you lose your games... Unless they make those accounts universal on all their consoles and keep the support for every game on every generation alive on their servers and available to download on your newer console then you are in the same boat as Stadia only difference is you can play them offline on a console.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Xabiss
@boxrekt said:
@MonsieurX said:

Sure I do, don't be salty because you're required to buy into streaming to support you favorite brand that will never allow you to own any games again.

It's a sad state for some of you guys who are desperate to spread this nonsense in order to feel better about giving away your rights to own the games you pay for.

Hey buy into streaming if you think it will make your platform overlords happy but don't be mad at the people who are smarter about their investments that will be able to play their games whenever they want, online or offline today or 10 years from now with physical purchases.

Quit arguing shit, just to argue. I am just saying the video you posted didn't really cover the real truths between the two platforms based on cost. You then go off on more tangents like normal. I think their is something seriously wrong with you.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BoxRekt

@Xabiss: What are you confused about? You're saying the video is inaccurate? Ok that's fair.

Why don't you tell us, "the real truths between the two platforms based on cost"?

I'm not saying you're wrong but I don't know what you're getting all bitchy at me for when you haven't said ANYTHING to actually refute or validate something to the contrary.

I think something is wrong with people who angrily argue and disagree about something but present no argument explaining why.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Xabiss
@boxrekt said:

@Xabiss: What are you confused about? You're saying the video is inaccurate? Ok that's fair.

Why don't you tell us, "the real truths between the two platforms based on cost"?

I'm not saying you're wrong but I don't know what you're getting all bitchy at me for when you haven't said ANYTHING to actually refute or validate something to the contrary.

I think something is wrong with people who angrily argue and disagree about something but present no argument explaining why.

That is all I was saying, thanks and I already stated why I think the video didn't hold any weight. Good day.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BoxRekt
@Xabiss said:
@boxrekt said:

That is all I was saying, thanks and I already stated why I think the video didn't hold any weight. Good day.

But I responded to your reply and then you claim I went off on a tangent as if you can't understand English or have problems comprehending what I said actually applies to the your post.

Maybe you need to reread what I wrote and try to logically process what I said instead of raging out making a knee jerk post lashing out as if you're angry at the fact that I even responded to what you said.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Xabiss
@boxrekt said:
@Xabiss said:
@boxrekt said:

But I responded to your reply and then you claim I went off on a tangent as if you can't understand English or have problems comprehending what I said actually applies to the your post.

Maybe you need to reread what I wrote and try to logically process what I said instead of raging out making a knee jerk post lashing out as if you're angry at the fact that I even responded to what you said.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: Sony pulled the plug on the psp, ps2 and at some point the ps3, guess what I can still play all my games on them unless they were a rarity and were online only, but you buy those knowing they're going to be obsolete down the road. I'm not seeing any point in your post?

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@vfighter said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: Sony pulled the plug on the psp, ps2 and at some point the ps3, guess what I can still play all my games on them unless they were a rarity and were online only, but you buy those knowing they're going to be obsolete down the road. I'm not seeing any point in your post?

The person I qouted was responding to someone under the assumption that he owns his digital downloads which unless he leaves them on his hard drive he does not once the servers go down.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BoxRekt
@vfighter said:

Indeed.

It was a nonsense post using nonsense logic by people who are mad at the fact that others are pointing out this glaring flaw in the whole "streaming is great" narrative.

It's a fundamental difference in physical systems vs their hyped streaming future that they will have to accept and stop damage controlling if they expect anyone to take their arguments about streaming seriously.

Streaming = no ownership of ANY kind PERIOD! DEAL WITH IT!

If you hate that people bring up this fact and it makes you feel so insecure that you try to argue the same is true of physical systems, you're admitting to yourself that you're an idiot for hyping it in the first place because you realize it's NOT A GOOD THING!

If you're going to defend streaming, just get comfortable with saying you're ok with not owning any of your games. Be at piece with that understand and don't use a "me too" argument against physical systems.

Stop trying to deflect and damage control ownership back at standard hardware Stiffs (Streaming is the future fanboys) you all sound out of touch and extremely to desperate to justify your chosen streaming platform when you do.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@boxrekt said:
@MonsieurX said:

Please remind me what happened to all of those who bought Wii games on the Wii Shop.

You buy a license. Hence why they can terminate your account and license if you do something against the ToU.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Xabiss
@boxrekt said:
@vfighter said:

Indeed.

It was a nonsense post using nonsense logic by people who are mad at the fact that others are pointing out this glaring flaw in the whole "streaming is great" narrative.

It's a fundamental difference in physical systems vs their hyped streaming future that they will have to accept and stop damage controlling if they expect anyone to take their arguments about streaming seriously.

If you hate that people bring up this fact and it makes you feel so insecure that you try to argue the same is true of physical systems, you're admitting to yourself that you're an idiot for hyping it in the first place because you realize it's NOT A GOOD THING!

If you're going to defend streaming, just get comfortable with saying you're ok with not owning any of your games. Be at piece with that understand and don't use a "me too" argument against physical systems.

Stop trying to deflect and damage control ownership back at standard hardware Stiffs (Streaming is the future fanboys) you all sound out of touch and extremely to desperate to justify your chosen streaming platform when you do.

Think we heard all of this same shit when music and TV/Movies went to streaming also. Seems most people are good with it and move on to newer tech. So get ready and get over it. Physical media is dead period at some point on all platforms.

I can really care less as long as I can play games.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Stadia is free (unless you want 4k60). The real issue I see is that game prices are unlikely to come down over time, because it's NOT free for Google, and they need the 30% from $60 to pay for it

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

@xantufrog:

Just wait until they start putting ads within games and require a microtransaction to bypass.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@heirren: score!

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@boxrekt said:
@vfighter said:

Indeed.

Is that your alt?... Seeing as you are both confused.

You are arguing with your self, I am not defending streaming. I was pointing out the fact that you don't own your digital download games... The only thing flawed is your inability to read, which is the mistake the person you are quoting made its why I assume it must be your alt. Either way you two are both numb skulls who cannot read.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 xantufrog  Moderator

@Yams1980: it is free

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

Does anyone know the price?

BaelNergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BaelNergal
Member since 2019 • 570 Posts

@raining51 said:

Does anyone know the price?

Your dignity and quite possibly your soul.

But, otherwise, I've heard it'll be free-ish.