Google Stadia Reveal. Another 'reality check' for Next Gen specs.

• 63 results
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@BassMan said:
@michaelmikado said:

@BassMan:

Performance level GPU pooling isn’t possible at this point for real-time graphics rendering and gaming. Virtualization of GPUs to smaller instances is just taking off. Possible in the future we will have transparent pooled virtual GPUs. Right now we can’t even get SLI working properly and transparently with GPUs connected directly next to each other.

Another concern for me though is them partnering with Havok. Correct me if I am wrong, but PhysX is the only physics API that is allowed to use GPU acceleration (I think Nvidia has the patent). However, they recently opened up the PhysX API to be used with AMD hardware as well and it is no longer proprietary to Nvidia GPUs. So, why aren't they using PhysX with Stadia? Imagine distributed computing with GPUs accelerating the physics...

Havok has turn-key optimizations for AVX v2 from Intel.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I have a scary feeling next gen will not look like much of an upgrade over current. Just like this one wasn’t a big enough leap over the gen prior.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53  Edited By deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: You don't make as much money as Google does by irresponsibly spending it.

If the pricing was going to be egregious or the latency too high or other obvious concerns, they wouldn't be revealing this right now while boasting their investment/partnerships.

While I agree it is good to approach this with caution, I don't think it's reasonable to assume that Google was so negligent to not consider any of these questions and still expect to succeed.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

Using Google's GPU as a guide with Microsoft/Sony's 4 CU defect tolerance

10.7 TFLOPS with 56 CU needs 1500Mhz clock speed

1500 Mhz x 60 CU = 11.520 TFLOPS

Middle is the cloud server.

Right side seems to be desktop box.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Sadly with my internet all of this means nothing to me. I still need physical hardware to play my games for the unforseeable future.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#56  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

25 mb on the low side? Yeah, that's just brilliant... lmfao... That is ridiculous. I don't know how it is in other parts of the world, but here in the US if a provider advertises you will get 50mb expect half or less at most times. That means that just to run halfway stable you are going to need a 50-60 mb connection... Maybe if this thing would have been launched 10-15 years from now.... wtf. 18.7 mb is the AVERAGE speed in the US, and this completely removes anyone like me who lives in a rural area. Also, that 18,7 is an average of ADVERTISED speeds..

When I move (probably next year), it won't be a problem, but I know PLENTY of people who won't buy this because there would be absolutely no point. I see what they are trying to do here, but just like I said with VR (on consoles this gen) it just isn't ready yet.

They are shooting themselves in the foot with this one... and we already have this, it's called Nvidia Shield. I do like my shield, but not for gaming. Sucks, Google had a chance to make a splash, but it seems like all they care about it being some kind of "first." Jokes on them though, they will soon find out that they are only catering to a small core group. There will be a LOT of returns, so don't pay attention to early sale numbers on this one.

Absolutely ridiculous. We are further out from "all streaming devices" (as the most mainstream) than a lot of people seem to think.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

If anyone has the cash to take a hit on hardware, it's Google. And the difference here is that Google doesn't have to pay retailers or ship anything across the globe. This pretty much confirms a 10-12 TFLOP range in terms of power next gen. Lets just hope this 2.7 GHz hyperthreaded chip isn't a sign of things to come CPU wise.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Streaming lol, that's a hard pass from me.

michaelmikado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59 michaelmikado
Member since 2019 • 406 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

If anyone has the cash to take a hit on hardware, it's Google. And the difference here is that Google doesn't have to pay retailers or ship anything across the globe. This pretty much confirms a 10-12 TFLOP range in terms of power next gen. Lets just hope this 2.7 GHz hyperthreaded chip isn't a sign of things to come CPU wise.

No, that's based on AMD's old 7601 Epyc server chip. Epyc Rome would be the equivalent and Google will upgrade whenever they are available. Consoles will be the 3.2Ghz variant and cloud servers will follow soon afterwards.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@XVision84 said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: You don't make as much money as Google does by irresponsibly spending it.

If the pricing was going to be egregious or the latency too high or other obvious concerns, they wouldn't be revealing this right now while boasting their investment/partnerships.

While I agree it is good to approach this with caution, I don't think it's reasonable to assume that Google was so negligent to not consider any of these questions and still expect to succeed.

Well they are revealing it in a state that isn't showing off half of what they say is possible... So?...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/google-stadia-hands-on-impressions-of-googles-new-/1100-6465694/

Input lag was the worst offender during my time with Doom; this was readily apparent when swiping the mouse around to aim. The aiming reticule would trail behind my mouse movements ever so slightly, and for a game like Doom--a hyper-fast first-person shooter that relies on precision aiming--it can be a deal-breaker. Playing on a controller mitigated the emphasis on speed and precision and made input lag a little less of a factor, but it doesn't negate the issue altogether. Another thing to note is that Google staff told me the Doom demo in particular was running in a low-latency mode available on Stadia itself. From a fidelity standpoint, the game ran at a consistent frame-rate using medium-high settings with adequate overall image quality; artifacting (or compression) didn't affect the experience. However, it's a bit disappointing that input lag could hold this back from being the ideal way to play a game as fast as Doom.

Boasting about what the system will do i.e. 4K/60/HDR and then showing off demos at 1080/60 on Medium settings with input lag... Doesn't sound promising.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: For this reason I don't think Stadia will make hardware obsolete any time soon. I can't imagine playing a competitive game on pc like that. The service seems largely geared towards using a controller and offering a convenient way to play games in general.

I'm confident that it'll be as promised around launch though because you need 4k 60fps and low latency to put a dent in the next gen market. Even if it isn't, I don't plan on making use of Stadia any time soon, but I'm excited to see the possibilities.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Don't like the name.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

The CPU is the real bottleneck for current consoles. That alone will help a lot. That said, the bump should be a bit bigger than people think but it'll be a generational leap from the base consoles, not from One X or Pro.