Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#101 michaelmikado
Member since 2019 • 406 Posts

@xantufrog said:

@michaelmikado: "On a $60 game the royalty would be around $18 which would likely be used to cover the cost of streaming it. The only issue with this approach is that there is little reason to incentive reducing game prices over time because that would also reduce royalties. I expect games to remain full price for longer if not indefinitely in order for the "free" method to remain fiscally viable."

This is a really important point - especially for PC where games tend to have steep and frequent discounts on the digital stores. While everyone seems to be throwing their controller at the screen over internet speeds, this seems like a more real issue.

To the internet speed thing: I think it's almost a non-issue. You can throw stats up about how few people have the right internet speed - but note that most of those people aren't the audience for this product in the first place. The correct stat, which I've never seen anyone post, is what % of *core gamers* has the required speeds. And what % of core gamers is interested in game streaming?

My guess: something like 90% of core gamers in the US who would ever be interested in this product in the first place DO have the requisite internet speed. Does anyone honestly think Google is releasing this without having done any such market research?

Also, sidebar - don't forget Google is selling its own internet service - and that has the requisite speeds and NO data caps. Stadia isn't being sold in a vacuum - it's part of a bigger Google product family

Correct, the inability to discount will be the hardest sale.. All digital distributions models gained widespread success because of the ECONOMIC advantages. Netflix took off, not because people wanted to watch movies from their computers, but because they could watch 100s/1000s of movies and shows from their computers of $8 a month. Steam, didn't take off because it was digital distribution. It took off because you have humble bundles and other deals where people are literally getting huge libraries of games for pennies. Stadia will have to overcome this important hurdle to be truly competitive. However I am interested to see where it goes.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#102  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts
@thatdbfan said:

How are devs gonna make money if it's on a $12 streaming platform?

That's now how it works. You buy the games, the same way you would on Steam. The Pro fee does come with some games - presumably ones that will rotate in and won't be particularly new down the road, although they haven't really addressed this that I can tell. But devs will make the same money they always do with a $60 purchase. Likely more, actually, because as michael noted above, Google needs the game prices to be high to support their servers via the % cut - since the servers (for Base) are free to the consumer. Because of this, they are strongly disincentivized to drop the prices of games as time progresses.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts
@goldenelementxl said:

@Random_Matt: I have a 1TB cap and go over it a few times a year as it is. If Stadia is only requiring 35mbps for 4K there must be something going on to keep the packet sizes real small.

Not that I give a shit about this streaming garbage but It says it require 35mbps... but per what tho?

Is that per second, per minute, per hour?

That's the real question.

We are gamers and if we have a good gaming session it might last a few hours in a single game session.

Let's just assume it's 35 mbps per minute, you're going to run up 1 terabyte in just 29 minutes! Spread that out over a month and LMAO.

With the amount of overages you're going to end up paying your internet service provider you would have saved money buying a dedicated high end next gen system instead

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

@boxrekt said:
@goldenelementxl said:

@Random_Matt: I have a 1TB cap and go over it a few times a year as it is. If Stadia is only requiring 35mbps for 4K there must be something going on to keep the packet sizes real small.

Not that I give a shit about this streaming garbage but It says it require 35mbps... but per what tho?

We are gamers and if we have a good gaming session it might last a few hours in a single game session.

Let's just assume it's 35 mbps per minute, you're going to run up 1 terabyte in just 29 minutes! Spread that out over a month and LMAO.

With the amount of overages you're going to end up paying your internet service provider you would have saved money buying a dedicated high end next gen system instead

They said it'll be 1TB per 65 hours in 4K.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/06/06/stadia-will-use-a-terabyte-of-data-every-65-hours-of-4k-gaming

Internet providers won't like this. This is going to get ugly.

michaelmikado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 michaelmikado

@boxrekt:

mbps is the unit of measure.

It literally stands for megabits per second.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts
@calvincfb said:
@boxrekt said:
@goldenelementxl said:

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/06/06/stadia-will-use-a-terabyte-of-data-every-65-hours-of-4k-gaming

You also gotta add reality in the mix. We use the internet NORMALLY and eat up a good chunk of that 1TB every month just on videos, normal streaming and internet surfing.

Might as well just cut that 1TB time to 1/2 or 1/3 if you're looking at realistic time to play your games to stay within your internet service provider's usage guidelines.

Most people are only going to be able to play a maximum of around 30 hours during the month before the start hitting data caps unless they stop using the internet all together, have fund with that. LMFAO!

TSFHBO (The streaming fanboys have been owned)

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

@boxrekt said:
@calvincfb said:
@boxrekt said:
@goldenelementxl said:

You also gotta add reality in the mix. We use the internet NORMALLY and eat up a good chunk of that 1TB every month just on videos, normal streaming and internet surfing.

Might as well just that 1TB time to 1/2 or 1/3 if you're looking at realistic time to play your games to stay within your internet service provider's usage guidelines.

Most people are only going to be able to play a maximum of around 30 hours during the month before the start hitting data caps unless they stop using the internet all together, have fund with that. LMFAO!

TSFHBO (The streaming fanboys have been owned)

I think it'll be even worse than that. If you think about it, the web will get saturated. A lot of people using 1TB for 65h is way too much data. I don't believe internet providers will have the infrastructure to support this. I believe this won't go down well.

We'll see.

michaelmikado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 michaelmikado

The data caps are literally the least of the concerns the service.

That said I wonder how they are going to handle f2p games if they support them at all.