Google Stadia is coming. Are you excited?

• 57 results
Edited 3 months, 22 days ago

Poll: Google Stadia is coming. Are you excited? (66 votes)

Yes 20%
No 80%

So Google Stadia is coming. There is scant information about it at the moment.

It will require games to be streamed with (I suspect) minimal hardware. It claims to perform at 4K/60FPS and will later support 8K/FPS. I understand it will require an internet speed at 25 Mbps at the very least.

Personally, I am looking forward to this and I believe more choice and more competition is a good thing.

Please tell me why you are looking forward to it and why you are not.

#1 Edited by Litchie (24346 posts) -

Not in the least. Unless you have a monster connection at all times, there will be latency problems, and there will probably be latency even with a monster connection. Someone streaming with Stadia (GS or IGN, I don't remember) died in DOOM because of latency. And they were at a place made to showcase Stadia.

**** that piece of shit hard.

#2 Edited by Archangel3371 (28554 posts) -

Nope. I’m not at all interested in playing games through a streaming service. The quality of what I might get is not an issue for me, I simply prefer to buy a console that can play games from a physical format locally.

#3 Posted by Sushiglutton (7265 posts) -

Nah, it will be a B-tier experience with sluggish feeling controls.

#4 Posted by I_P_Daily (12577 posts) -

**** NO, but like everything in gaming casuals will **** it up for the rest of us.

#5 Posted by Random_Matt (4324 posts) -

It will do well with casuals, likely mobile phone gamers.

#6 Edited by Bluestars (231 posts) -

Yes anything that scares Sony into bending the knee to Ms has me interested, I have the internet speed for 4k60 and a good HDR tv

I won’t buy full priced digital games as I like to complete a game and trade/sell for another

If there are a decent amount of studios supporting it And some subscription options i’ll Give it a bash

Though with rumours Ubisoft are going to have a game pass type subscription I wonder where that leaves their games going to stadia.afterall they showcased it with AC odyssey

#7 Posted by netracing (143 posts) -

No, even the input lag from not having game mode on the TV is too much, no way the added latency from online is going to be useable for any kind of half serious gaming.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#8 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1713 posts) -

For me I pass, I'd rather buy Xbox Scarlett and Playstation 5!

#9 Posted by SecretPolice (35358 posts) -

Anaconda or bust. :P

#10 Posted by Alucard_Prime (10107 posts) -

0/10 , couldn't care less about this service. I'm not interested in game streaming and I already have tons of games to play on my X.

#11 Posted by Fedor (5354 posts) -

I keep forgetting Stadia is a thing. Miss me with that Google shit.

#12 Edited by pyro1245 (5264 posts) -

Yeah I'm always excited for new things.

It's not really something I see myself using a lot, but I see the potential. It would likely be a win for Linux gaming in general as well.

So yeah. I'm excited.

#13 Edited by Ant_17 (12905 posts) -

I'm hyped to see how long it last before Google kills it.

#14 Edited by Bluestars (231 posts) -

Now everybody has a 4k60 hdr pc, just the ones who are going to use stadia didn’t have to pay for it

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#15 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (5044 posts) -

I can't get excited into paying for any streaming service, honestly. They have to show me something that's worth paying for first to be honest.

#16 Posted by DocSanchez (5340 posts) -

I will power down my Ouya and put my Gizmodo into storage for this very occasion.

#17 Posted by MirkoS77 (14471 posts) -

Streaming is garbage for gaming that demands minimal latency. No fucking way.

#18 Posted by mtron32 (3955 posts) -

I'm excited, anything that offers me a way to NOT have to buy a new console in the near future is a welcome development. Also, if it motivates Sony and M$ to provide a good streaming service, all for it.

#19 Posted by pmanden (747 posts) -

I'm more excited about laundering my socks than playing games on Stadia.

#20 Posted by enzyme36 (4274 posts) -

Personally Im more excited for the xbox gamepass on PC. Stadia seems like a pass at this point.

#21 Posted by mazuiface (932 posts) -

Why stream games with such powerful hardware? The whole thing seems like a waste.

#23 Posted by DrLostRib (5066 posts) -

Not really excited, but I am interested to see how it all works out and the quality it can push

#24 Posted by Sevenizz (4075 posts) -

Yup! I love videogames so more of them is a good thing!

#25 Posted by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

I’m more excited about paying my taxes than Google Stadia.

#26 Posted by locus-solus (1130 posts) -

So hope streaming won't be the only way to play new games in the future, yuck streaming.

#27 Edited by Archangel3371 (28554 posts) -

I bet you dollars to donuts that if/when streaming takes hold that companies are going to pause your game stream to inject advertising. Probably have a basic service with ads and a premium one without.

#28 Posted by Fedor (5354 posts) -

@Sevenizz: You don't like games, be real now.

#29 Posted by watercrack445 (1843 posts) -

Nonononononono

#30 Posted by Sevenizz (4075 posts) -

@fedor: Damn, you got me!

#31 Posted by Fedor (5354 posts) -

@Sevenizz: You almost got away with it.

#32 Posted by Shewgenja (21456 posts) -

Streaming gaming can kiss my ass.

#33 Posted by rzxv04 (686 posts) -

Not yet. Seems too expensive so far.

#34 Posted by lundy86_4 (53857 posts) -

Not when i'm stuck at 120Mb/s. I'm fine playing my games locally, and paying a premium for hardware.

#35 Posted by VFighter (5242 posts) -

@mtron32: You have a fatal flaw in your logic and its because streaming games is complete ass. I'd rather shit on the floor and plug a controller into that pile of shit then stream games, hopefully when Google fails bad with this song and MS do take notice and leave streaming in the toilet where it belongs.

#36 Posted by ButDuuude (1429 posts) -

LOL

#37 Posted by Zaryia (9676 posts) -

It's going to make console kids real mad since the games will count.

#38 Posted by mtron32 (3955 posts) -
@vfighter said:

@mtron32: You have a fatal flaw in your logic and its because streaming games is complete ass. I'd rather shit on the floor and plug a controller into that pile of shit then stream games, hopefully when Google fails bad with this song and MS do take notice and leave streaming in the toilet where it belongs.

You say that because no one has successfully made it happen yet, doesn't mean they shouldn't push the issue. At some point streaming games is going to happen and then the vast majority will just not bother with a tangible disc. I remember when I used to collect movies, I've got two dvd wallets filled with iver 500 films that I never look at because I'm too lazy to go get them and load them and all my streaming services are fat with content. I'm hoping that gaming goes the same route, then I wont have to pay for full games and I can try all the new shit without bothering to buy the full game.

#39 Edited by SaltSlasher (1318 posts) -

I said Yes, simply cause I want to see if its money or a bust.

I certainly plan to get around to testing it out and seeing what it is like but don't anticipate loving it.

#40 Posted by WhatAFailure (425 posts) -

Does anyone have any idea when it's coming? I feel like, with the lack of info right now, Stadia won't arrive for quite a while. Probably very late 2019.

#41 Posted by I_P_Daily (12577 posts) -

@zaryia said:

It's going to make console kids real mad since the games will count.

Go play with your mobile phone.

@Archangel3371 said:

I bet you dollars to donuts that if/when streaming takes hold that companies are going to pause your game stream to inject advertising. Probably have a basic service with ads and a premium one without.

I can't seem them pausing your game, but I see them showing adds while the next level loads etc.

#42 Posted by Archangel3371 (28554 posts) -

@i_p_daily: Yeah I could definitely see them putting ads during loading times.

#43 Posted by I_P_Daily (12577 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

@i_p_daily: Yeah I could definitely see them putting ads during loading times.

Yeah streaming is garbage, i'd rather quit my 30+ year hobby then to stream.

#44 Posted by VFighter (5242 posts) -

@mtron32: They can't even stream movies yet at the same quality as you find on physical blu rays, how the he'll do you think they'll magically make it happen with an insanely interactive medium like gaming? There's a reason no ones done it yet and its because they're no where close to that goal. This upcoming failure is going to be fun to watch. Also If rather buy what I want to watch or play rather then hope and pray a streaming service gets the movies/games I want to watch/play. Streaming hasn't killed physical movies, it sure as he'll isn't going,to make a dent in gaming.

#45 Posted by MKXChrome (40 posts) -

It's a cool concept but I think it would ultimately fail.

#46 Posted by Telekill (8594 posts) -

I'm going to go ahead and dodge Google's cumming.

#47 Posted by Speeny (1978 posts) -

Nup.

#48 Posted by Speeny (1978 posts) -
@Telekill said:

I'm going to go ahead and dodge Google's cumming.

Gave me a good laugh.

#49 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31608 posts) -

Nope, the games it plays my PC can already play better.

Then there are the downsides of streaming like artifacting and input latency.

#50 Posted by Ten_Pints (3912 posts) -

The only place it would make sense would be MMO games where a permanent internet connection is required and there are frequent updates and latency is less important than desyncs...

But who is gonna pay for it?