Google Cloud Outage [UPDATE - Back up]- This is what to expect for gaming on the cloud?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Link

[Update]

Looks like Google services are back up

[/Update]

Granted this is an outage affecting applications that uses Google Cloud and 3rd party apps like SnapChat and Discord.

With this outage widespread in the east coast and certain parts of the globe, how the hell can we trust streaming games if the service is down? This also brings up the issue of ownership of games that we don't own physically.

This outage will indeed affect the hype for Stadia, but will Microsoft claim an easy victory for Project XCloud next week and take a jab at google for its outage? However, MS shouldn't be laughing as an outage could affect services running Azure as well.

What does System Wars think?

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

What do I think?

Clouds should only be used for rain :)

But like everything in gaming casuals will eat this shit up like they do Sony's movie games and it will become the norm, and gaming will officially be in the toilet, in other words it will be time to flush it.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

I always expected outages, it happens with everything at some point. I am not surprised. So far I'm only going with GP anyway. I just got PSnow (Can't stream, only download due to location) and it's pretty disappointing in comparison to GP. I don't think Stadiawill be in the streaming service for long just due to content. I expect it to be like the $2 dvd bin.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

This just further hammers home the fact that streaming isn’t something that interests me at all. Even if it was an absolutely flawless experience that never ever went down I would still greatly prefer playing my games on local hardware on a physical format.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FireEmblem_Man
@i_p_daily said:

What do I think?

But like everything in gaming casuals will eat this shit up like they do Sony's movie games and it will become the norm, and gaming will officially be in the toilet, in other words it will be time to flush it.

Agreed, we need more Rain!

It's hard to tell if the Non-gaming market will eat it up. Sure they may sell affordable plans, but it still comes at a price of a reliable internet connection. Some people still use DSL and are expecting good results. If the results are bad, you might as well trade in that Stadia for the Next Xbox, PS5, or build a new PC.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

That's a hefty outage, but I expect it'll be just like internet outages, but with more redundancies built-in. I can't think of much more annoying than an internet outage.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@i_p_daily said:

What do I think?

It's hard to tell if the Non-gaming market will eat it up. Sure they may sell affordable plans, but it still comes at a price of a reliable internet connection. Some people still use DSL and are expecting good results. If the results are bad, you might as well trade in that Stadia for the Next Xbox, PS5, or build a new PC.

Yeah living in Australia we need all the rain we can get.

I'm hoping that whoever goes first (I haven't been keeping up with streaming news) stuffs it up big time and has multiple AND long outages, hopefully that way casuals tweet and all that other shit they do on how bad it is lol.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, I like my games like I like my women, and that's physical :)

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FireEmblem_Man
@i_p_daily said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@i_p_daily said:

What do I think?

Yeah living in Australia we need all the rain we can get.

I'm hoping that whoever goes first (I haven't been keeping up with streaming news) stuffs it up big time and has multiple AND long outages, hopefully that way casuals tweet and all that other shit they do on how bad it is lol.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, I like my games like I like my women, and that's physical :)

Cheers to that!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#9 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

Outages are a reality. Whether its Internet or power it happens.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts
@Pedro said:

Outages are a reality. Whether its Internet or power it happens.

Na dude ppl have backup generators and can play there games off the disk on older consoles, no online or power outage can stop a backup generator for a true gamer.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Not a good look for Stadia.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

Google Delayia. LOLZ

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Daniel_Su123
Member since 2015 • 1103 Posts

How would this be different with Consoles? You pretty much always connected to PSN and XBL. If an outrage happens. You wouldn't be able to play lots of games and services.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FireEmblem_Man
@daniel_su123 said:

How would this be different with Consoles? You pretty much always connected to PSN and XBL. If an outrage happens. You wouldn't be able to play lots of games and services.

Yet there are plenty of games to play that don't require you to connect online for single player games. If you're playing a single player game on Stadia, you can't play it at all until the outage clears.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

@daniel_su123 said:

I can still play the vast majority of my games in an outage. I think I only have one game that requires the Internet to play.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@daniel_su123: It wouldn't effect most of the games I play, sure Destiny 2 would be out of the question but the numerous single player games I have wouldnt be hurt in amyway shape or form. Not every game needs online ya know.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pedro

This issue knock me out of my Unity project for the entire day. For shame.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Daniel_Su123
Member since 2015 • 1103 Posts
@vfighter said:

@daniel_su123: It wouldn't effect most of the games I play, sure Destiny 2 would be out of the question but the numerous single player games I have wouldnt be hurt in amyway shape or form. Not every game needs online ya know.

It's subjective, People who mainly play Single Player games won't have much impact, but those who play mostly MP (A cast majority of gamers these days) will pretty much have a console that can't play games.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

I just don't trust the Internet for anything requiring reliability other than things like Netflix, because although video streaming is enjoyable, it doesn't matter.

Especially professional programs, they're high of they think I'd want to rely on the Internet for that.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

Meh

Games crash, internet drops,sky is blue grass is green

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Google stadia will probably be for a few years than disappear. Poof.

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts

Google announces Stadia PLUS xTreme.

For an extra $14.99 a month, members at this special tier get rock solid Cloud connections. Everybody below will randomly get ****ed, at a time completely to Google's choosing.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: I think it’s to be expected. I remember PlayStation was hacked and everyone got PSN free for a few months.

Destiny had quite a few maintenance periods.

Even banks have outages. It was not so long ago when might Visa had outages too!

It’s the world we live in.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

And? I'll continue to use Gmail, I'll continue to use Google docs and I'm pretty sure many of the companies around the world will as well. You know the funny thing, my company's entire IP and source code is hosted on the public git cloud as well as many company's.

Outages happen just like with power, gas etc. You don't go and disconnect your home from the grid and run your own power station.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

Some people are so butthurt they come to cry and hate about stuff that wasn't even mentioned lmao

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

Stadia event this Thursday,price/games/release

Let’s see what you got too offer bitches

I’m 4k60 hdr streaming ready

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts
@Pedro said:

What are you making? If you can discuss it.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

It's going to be a process.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Outages happen. I don't think this is anything to be critical of unless it happens frequently.

Here's an idea: why don't you fanboys for whatever platform you prefer wait until Stadia or whatever comes out before shitting on it. You should wan't more competition in the market; if not for the sake of gaming as a whole, than for your own sake (more competition equates to better products that cost less).

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#30 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

It can only be as good as the internet allows it, but will just say my Zen broadband just went out for a fair bit of time. Stadia will fail for this reason, broadband is shit.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

And? I'll continue to use Gmail, I'll continue to use Google docs and I'm pretty sure many of the companies around the world will as well. You know the funny thing, my company's entire IP and source code is hosted on the public git cloud as well as many company's.

Outages happen just like with power, gas etc. You don't go and disconnect your home from the grid and run your own power station.

I'm working towards energy independence i.e. installing enough solar panels and a Tesla Power wall.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts
@Pedro said:

No internet outage is gonna keep me from my coding! I host my own git repo.

Although 5 min later I would need to google something and then I'd be screwed without stack overflow and the like.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pedro

@pyro1245 said:

No internet outage is gonna keep me from my coding! I host my own git repo.

Although 5 min later I would need to google something and then I'd be screwed without stack overflow and the like.

I using collab and I didn't want to go through the headaches of re-constructing the project. The annoying thing is that it still broke my project by mystically pushing the first update. :|

You host your own repo? As in locally?