Google announces a thing that has failed so many times before.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

TL;DR : WE'RE MAKING ASSASSIN'S CREED ODYSSEY PLAYABLE ON YOUR GOOGLE CHROME TABLET USING YOUR GARBAGE 25MBPS INTERNET!

The Video Game's industry knows NO BOUNDS in it's schemey ways of trying to take your money and give you nothing in return.

Google has now officially decided it's going to try to make Onlive a reality once again. Need I remind you that Onlive was an Online Service much like Spotify or Netflix, but for Video Games. Now your Crappy Laptop that couldn't run Darksiders because it has a crappy on board graphics card can finally run the game as if it was on a computer capable of running it. AMAZING RIGHT? WONDERFUL!...except when your Internet cuts off and you can't access the game anymore! Also the quality was horrible, imagine trying to play something like PUBG or Overwatch using a Streaming service where not only would the latency alone would make you want to eat your brain out, but the video quality will blur. Yeah the video quality, you ever see a Twitch Stream or a Youtube video with a low bit rate? IT AIN'T PRETTY!

Video Games are not the same as Movies or Music. Each song in spotfy is probably a few megabytes in size, if we were to compare that to Final Fantasy XV which requires 100gbs in hard drive space on your computer you'd be listening to the Entire Kingdom Hearts Soundtrack about 354 times in it's entirety, which is 26,904 songs. And since this is the Kingdom Hearts Soundtrack that Soundtrack takes about 2 hrs and 27 mins to finish from song 1 to song 76. Which would mean 26,904 songs in this scenario would probably take you about 448 hours give or take to finish. Which is probably the equivalent of 18 days. So for a video game streaming service about 1 day's worth of streaming is the equivalent of 18 days for music.

Typing this out I realize that's probably not how it works, but I think there's some credence to it. I'll have a hard time figuring out if both Video Games and Music have the same size time to stream, but I have a feeling that just like how Netflix boned a lot of Internet bills in the past that Video Game Streaming will likely hurt people with slow internet. Not to mention if these games that are getting streamed rely on good fast connections to get good. Games like Overwatch, Starcraft, and Tekken 7 all rely on good reliable connections and are highly competitive, so making these games available for streaming gives an advantage to those who live closer to the servers and have good internet. It will be impossible for those who live further away and have no access to good internet to be able to even get good at the game let alone enjoy it.

I'm rambling on and didn't even make mention that Streaming services also make it impossible for Game preservation to even be a thing. Remember Scott Pilgrim vs the World? Yeah That game was awesome, too bad no one can buy it now thanks to Ubisoft and Universal owning the rights and Anamanguchi having made the soundtrack. Thanks to this licensing hell, the Game was delisted back in 2014 (4 years after release). Only those who downloaded the game when available have access to it and can spread the word on why this game was so amazing, but imagine if this game wasn't just delisted from store fronts, but was a streamed only game? The Delisting wouldn't just mean no one could buy the game, a delisting from a streaming service means NO ONE CAN PLAY the game.

For years I keep seeing people cry how there "Needs to be a Netflix for Video Games." and all I can see why there SHOULDN'T be a "Netflix for Video Games."

This post sucks, but I just wanted to bring to your attention about Google's video game streaming service and why you really shouldn't support it.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

But will it blend?

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

I need to read this while playing the violin.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Crysis

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Damn Legato, you got a context menu for that?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

yeah business I think doesnt understand why streaming was a huge deal for video but not a huge deal for video games.

its basically because our games have always been 'on demand' we never had to set our DVR to record that show that comes on at that time when we are away an then not see the show until we get back to the house

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Well, Switch can stream play Resi7 and ASScreedOrigins, soooooooo it's not impossible.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58909 Posts

I looks forward to be being forced to sign into even more services if I want to play (X) exclusive game.

What an exciting future. Woo.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I looks forward to be being forced to sign into even more services if I want to play (X) exclusive game.

Seriously. One day we'll have to pay to sign into a sign into page only to sign into another page to get to play a game that requires another sign into.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Cry baby stuff.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Seriously. One day we'll have to pay to sign into a sign into page only to sign into another page to get to play a game that requires another sign into.

Logception!

RIP owning video games. We fought off the digital streams as long as we could.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

Game streaming sucks if you don't support it , it won't take over.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Sweet, will def be checking this out along with MS game streaming, hopefully MS announces something at the Xbox Event.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I saw an ad on YouTube for some Google set top box, not sure if same thing but man the games in the video looked fuggly as hell like they were cellphone free to play garbage running on a HDTV. No thanks. Plus, seriously, it would be too easy just to buy a real console with a solid line-up of games, why do this? At very least, is there a killer app? Or something like streaming VR?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#15 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

Lmao at “take your money “. Don’t buy it.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

that AC Odyessy project stream video looked graphically horrible.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#17 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17805 Posts

Half-Life 3 confirmed.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

Even when it works flawlessly streaming games gets a hard pass from me. I much rather play my games natively, preferably on physical format.