good-bye 360 "Red Ring Of Death" at the same time good-bye MICROSOFT!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

paksiwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 paksiwin
Member since 2007 • 659 Posts

It's not time to say goo-bye to NINTENDO, but for 360

Sure Microsoft has been flooded with a slew of Xbox 360s returned after blinking the dreaded Red Ring of Death, but we hear that not all of them were due to overheating.When the console seizes up and dies, three of the "circle of light's" quadrants blink red, but when the video cable pops out four of the quadrants blink. Apparently, a large number of consoles returned to Microsoft with the dreaded Red Ring of Death were perfectly fine and just the victim of a bit of red ring hysteria. There have been so many returns, in fact, that we've been told Microsoft plans on disabling the four ring error code on future builds of the console. No word on whether they will remove the three-ring coding as well.

red ring of deathRed Ring of Death TeeRed Ring of Death

Y'know, the x360 dies a lot.. but I dont know why everyone is saying it's "flawed by design".

The flaw, it seems, would be one of heating and ventilation. My wii feels just as hot as my x360. If anything, I would say its flawed by manufacturer or maybe choice of component.Just the fact that the "towel trick" works would indicate this is in fact the case. It sounds to me like the system gets hot enough that whatever thermal compound they use to attach the GPU/CPU to the heatsyncs melts and looses its bond when worked enough (i believe they're using thermal pads). Then you let your console cool off and you can never get it back to that same temp to have the thermal compound re-bond with the heat sync. Essentially the console errors out and cuts the power to the CPU/GPU due to thermal overload.When you use the towel trick, you allow it in its inhibited state to reach temperatures that will allow this compound to re-bond with the IHS (integrated heat spreader for those not in the know) and the heat sync.

Granted, I havent opened my console to run tests as I've not had a single problem with my launch unit. But I do have extensive (see 15+ years) experience with building, configuring and modding PC's. This includes designing my boxes to be whisper quiet with gaming caliber hardware.

Anyone who knows anything about air cooling knows when you first apply thermal paste it takes a couple cycles to reach max efficiency. The compound must liquify and solidify several times to create a solid bond between the IHS and HSF.

Essentially, stop with the "flawed by design" **** Electronics get hot.. and the x360 doesnt get any more, or less hot than any of my other electronics. My Dennon A/V switch, Wii, TV... hell even my DVD player gets hot to the tough.

The x360 is about as "flawed by design" as you guys are keen to throw around the latest catch phrase to sound cool and knowledgable.

goodbye MICROSOFT!!!!!!!!!!

bill gates

loky4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 loky4000
Member since 2007 • 300 Posts
Should I care?
Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts
Your Wii get's as hot as your 360?
Lol, my Wii hardly ever get's warm.
him42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 him42
Member since 2004 • 6811 Posts
...nah.
groudyogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 groudyogre
Member since 2006 • 1661 Posts
Winner.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts
Bill Gates is still richer than you.
nonsoville2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 nonsoville2
Member since 2006 • 4124 Posts
*Head Assplodes* :shock:
abudjasim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 abudjasim
Member since 2005 • 519 Posts
I heard that people have intercoolers and still they get the rrod. Personally, I've changed the fan with a quiter/cooler one, and changed the thermal paste to arctic 5 and put some heatsinks on the ram chips. And the 360 is still hot, I just hope I did enough to prevent the rrod. Another thing I noticed is that the ram chips under the GPU heatsink dont touch the heatsink at all. I just put a lot of thermal paste on it to make sure it makes contact.
NaiKoN9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NaiKoN9293
Member since 2004 • 4102 Posts
lame
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 animateria
Member since 2006 • 620 Posts

Well... If a lot of people get this problem... It was to be a design flaw right?

Although some may accept this problem like its no big deal... There never has been such a big incident of recalls... (Unless the X-box recall of melting cables was larger...)