uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58847 Posts

CDP is a company who made the Witcher, an overrated series that even after 3 games, couldn't pin down basic controls of an action game. Regardless, critics who like movies than games, praised the series and now we as a group have to now pretend it's good. It's author is a money grabbing old man who hates them and most likely hates most of you for playing the game and not reading his books.

It also owns GOG, a very good service, better than Steam in some regards, that sadly, seems to be in trouble. Meanwhile, Epics piece of shit service is doing well thanks to greedy opportunists like Ubisoft willing to screw over users for a gold pouch.

Good Old Games is killing off its 'Fair Price Package' regional pricing program

CD Projekt Red's PC gaming storefront, Good Old Games (GoG), was recently forced to cut around 12 percent of its staff and has now announced that it will be killing off the Fair Price Package program on March 31.

For the unaware, the FPP compensates users when a given game's price is higher in their country than North America. GoG makes up the price difference out of their own pocket, awarding users wallet funds - these funds can then be used to buy other titles.

GoG's reasons for ending the FPP are logical. The company says that, given recent changes to its revenue split model with developers, the program is simply not practical anymore - attempting to keep it alive would result in the company losing money.

"[However we look at it], at the end of the day we are a store and need to make sure we sell games without a loss," GoG's announcement reads. "Removing FPP is not a decision we make lightly, but by making this change, we will be able to offer better conditions to game creators, which — in turn — will allow us to offer you more curated classic games and new releases."

Despite this feature change, GoG isn't at risk of dying off anytime soon. It's still the best place to purchase old classics, with a guarantee that they'll run on modern systems thanks to the hard work of GoG's own developers.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

CDP is a company who made the Witcher, an overrated series that even after 3 games, couldn't pin down basic controls of an action game.

LOL. I agree but still LOL.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23895 Posts

Shame.

How the mighty have fallen. GOG used to be my favorite place to buy games. Even arguing that they sometimes even had better sales than Steam itself. But now it's just meh.

@Pedro said:
@uninspiredcup said:

CDP is a company who made the Witcher, an overrated series that even after 3 games, couldn't pin down basic controls of an action game.

I cant even force myself to play the Witcher games.

Maybe the Witcher 3 would be different, but I keep forgetting that game even exists.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7244 Posts

If GoG ends up being the first of these platforms to fail, I will be so mad.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

That intro...lol

Not resonable that they should sell games at a loss to uphold some principle. So an understandable change.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

What a damn shame. I like GoG in theory, but I never even felt like buying anything there, my library of games is nowhere near as big as it is on Steam, I feel like GoG offers me nothing that sounds interesting to me, and apparently I'm not alone. GoG haven't had anything good come out for the past few months. It wouldn't surprise me if others are feeling the same way.

I stopped paying attention to GoG when they slowed right down on releasing old games I find interesting and started churning out indies. I understand why they did this, they had the majority of the better older games out already and needed to have something to keep going, but still. Even Humble Bundle made me forget sometimes to go check out GoG what's new over their.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts
@Maroxad said:

Shame.

How the mighty have fallen. GOG used to be my favorite place to buy games. Even arguing that they sometimes even had better sales than Steam itself. But now it's just meh.

@Pedro said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I cant even force myself to play the Witcher games.

Maybe the Witcher 3 would be different, but I keep forgetting that game even exists.

Witcher 3 is not as bad as witcher 1 but its still pretty awful. its by far most overrated game released this gen.

boring open world. like assassins creed and far cry. waste of time.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Wow people on here defended GoG now its just a trashland

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

It sucks for the international consumer, but people should use their head, read why it's happening, and ask "what does the competition do" before slapping random keys on the keyboard.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

That's a reasonable business move. I'm not sure what else to say...

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

I don't know what to say so I'll just go with F**k Epic.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

Good ole games? I'n I've never heard of this place...

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

It's still the best place to buy digital PC games. You can't expect a business to sell games at a loss to international customers. The price difference is largely exaggerated anyway, since sales tax is built into the price in most of (maybe all of?) Europe and it is not in the US.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

Well it's not great, but understandable. Economy is still recovering from October and people still need to adjust.

@judaspete said:

If GoG ends up being the first of these platforms to fail, I will be so mad.

Same.

GoG and Steam are needed (yes, needed) by the community as independent store fronts that are gamer-focused.

@raining51 said:

Good ole games? I'n I've never heard of this place...

It's a really awesome digital store (think Steam) owned by CD Projekt, maker of The Witcher series. They have some really great games, and all titles are DRM free and you are able to download the actual game executable (for example, if you wanted to put the game on a USB stick so you never had to download it again).

They have a lot of new titles, too, and are great for independent projects as well.