Going Back to Shenmue After So Long

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

#1 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

With the release of the Shenmue collection, I decided to get a physical copy of it on Xbox One because the controller reminds me so much of the Dreamcast. It was not nearly as fun as I remember though. :(

By this, I'm talking about Shenmue 1. Shenmue 2 is still pretty enjoyable though since they made it more streamlined and interesting. But part 1 was soooooo insufferable!! It's so damn slow with the pacing and you literally spend the first couple of hours just walking and talking to people! I was playing it thinking, 'what the hell did I see in this?'

Then when I got to the point of finding the Phoenix Mirror and having to contact the warehouse no. 8, I realized that I needed to physically jot down the number from Ryo's notebook and use the painfully slow dial EVERY time I called. Because you have to call ahead of your every visit.

Then you got to kill time when you find out that who you're looking for can't be reached because the store hasn't opened up yet or whatever. But guess what! You can't skip time in Shenmue 1! So I just blew some steam playing Hang On or Space Harrier and the QTE arcades that got old pretty fast. And I found myself on repeat of this many, many, many times.

The other aspects are still good though. It's fun beating people up on the few encounters you do get in part 1. As long as you're good at playing as Akira in Virtua Fighter.

So, has anyone spotted this while playing Shenmue 1? Or am I just crazy? And please, don't think that I'm trying to diss the series because I have always loved Shenmue since it first came out and I still really enjoy part 2.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

I actually like those things about Shenmue 1. All the "needless" tasks and waiting, I find to be realistic and immersive. It's not for everyone, but I enjoy it for the uniqueness, as it makes me feel as if I'm really the protagonist of a martial arts story.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@Renegade_Fury:

That's exactly what I always told people in defense of the series! But now for some reason, I just can't stand it! Maybe I'm just spoiled by new games but I'm REALLY tempted to skip Shenmue 1 and go right to 2. Which is a shame because Shenmue 1 was the entire reason why I bought this collection.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Renegade_Fury

@nepu7supastar7: I'd just skip it if you're not having fun, and it isn't like you haven't played it before anyway. Shenmue 1 is pretty short, so at least there's that if you force yourself to finish it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I thought that Shenmue had slow pacing and gameplay that felt like a chore to go through the first time that I played it on the Dreamcast 18 years ago (damn I'm getting old). Since then I never understood the appeal that the game has to some people and I definitely have no desire to ever play it again.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts
@Renegade_Fury said:

I actually like those things about Shenmue 1. All the "needless" tasks and waiting, I find to be realistic and immersive. It's not for everyone, but I enjoy it for the uniqueness, as it makes me feel as if I'm really the protagonist of a martial arts story.

I know this is a weird shit comparison, but that reminds me of 2001: Space Odyssey.

The use of negative space, silence and timing.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

I remember driving forklifts around on my Dreamcast and working in game. I felt like such a sucker.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@n64dd: I think that's really apt

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts
@xantufrog said:

@n64dd: I think that's really apt

:)

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Renegade_Fury

@n64dd said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

I know this is a weird shit comparison, but that reminds me of 2001: Space Odyssey.

The use of negative space, silence and timing.

Yeah, I can get the comparison. Maybe another applicable one is Star Trek the Motion Picture for its pacing and adherence to scientific accuracy.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nepu7supastar7

@pdogg93:

Did you mean "sucker" in a good way? Or "sucker" as in, "why did I buy this?" kinda way?

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

EXACTLY this

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@nepu7supastar7: as in wtf am I doing playing a game that simulates a forklift job

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3347 Posts

I download shenmue collection and started playing 1 and i agree with you. The amount of wondering around the city just to get info is kinda boring. Not sure i would touch it again lol.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Aw. If you're not having a good time with the game it's OK to drop it and move on. Don't make yourself suffer !

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

Even back in the day, I always respected Shenmue more than I enjoyed it.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

I've watched some gameplay and read some reviews and it looks and sounds outdated and boring. I'll stick to Yakuza.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I said it: Shenmue didnt look like a game that aged well

I guess I was right

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

I am worried about playing this in case it destroys my great memories of it on dreamcast. I'm not sure it would have aged well in this day of gaming but I'll probably cave and get it soon enough.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nepu7supastar7

@Vatusus:

I guess it was that whole simulation premise that made me WANT to like it. And I still respect it's existence for what boundaries it pushed. Maybe that's what made us put it in such a pedestal?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

Despite having some boring forklift section and waiting. i actually like shenmue games. story is pretty good.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I loved how real world monotonous it was. Even his boring job was fun for me.

I don't know.

I'm weird.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

How does it compare to Yakuza? I know is different, but I keep hearing that yak in certain ways is what Shenmue may had been if it was made with todays technology ala a lively city to roam about.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nepu7supastar7

@ghosts4ever:

Ryo controls worse than Lara Croft did in ps1. He can't sprint, roll over, jump or climb and he doesn't turn on the dime like he should. I don't see how you can stand playing it and act like Tomb Raider was worse.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@Bikouchu35 said:

How does it compare to Yakuza? I know is different, but I keep hearing that yak in certain ways is what Shenmue may had been if it was made with todays technology ala a lively city to roam about.

The only real similarities they have is that you play as Japanese guy in a semi open world, and that both protagonists are born in the same year (Kiryu is older than Ryo by a couple of months). They also have arcades and collectable toys of other SEGA games, but that's as far as it goes.

One way I like to describe them is by calling Shenmue a Bruce Lee point and click adventure game, similar to the old Lucas Arts' Monkey Island ones, and has Viruta Fighter combat, while Yakuza is an over the top JRPG crime drama with beat 'em up combat and hilarious side stories. With that said, chances are if you like one you probably will like the other, but Yakuza isn't an "evolved" Shenmue; they're very much their own thing.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@robert_sparkes:

It's not unplayable if you know what you're getting yourself into. But I most def, would not recommend it to anyone who has never played it before.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:
@Bikouchu35 said:

The only real similarities they have is that you play as Japanese guy in a semi open world, and that both protagonists are born in the same year (Kiryu is older than Ryo by a couple of months). They also have arcades and collectable toys of other SEGA games, but that's as far as it goes.

One way I like to describe them is by calling Shenmue a Bruce Lee point and click adventure game, similar to the old Lucas Arts' Monkey Island ones, and has Viruta Fighter combat, while Yakuza is an over the top JRPG crime drama with beat 'em up combat and hilarious side stories. With that said, chances are if you like one you probably will like the other, but Yakuza isn't an "evolved" Shenmue; they're very much their own thing.

Both Yakuza & Shenmue always confuse the hell out of me back then. I always get them mix up but you basically describe it perfectly. The same with Legacy of Kane & Soul Reaver in their own similarities.