GOG's new refund policy is way more generous than Steam's. PC gaming is exploding.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

Key takeaways:

• 30 days to return any game.

• It doesn't matter whether you played it for a while or for a long time.

• Same rules apply to DLCs and promotional packages.

Good guy Larian.

Please come to console.

I'm a simple man. I see Polish game developer, I press like.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

That’s crazy! Is there any word on how they are planning to prevent people from abusing it? I mean most games are easily completed in 30 days...

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#3 madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Hmm. As consumer friendly as this is, this could actually hurt GOG. Apparently, they haven't consulted developers before announcing this policy change, and several have already expressed concerns about potential abuse. GOG have said they still reserve the right to refuse a refund if they think you're abusing the policy, but that might not be enough to keep developers and publishers on side.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@madrocketeer: yeah it's a bit too generous. They will be abused and they will have developers balking.

Still, I appreciate a company siding with the gamers over devs (*cough Epic cough*)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58906 Posts

Yea, not one to side with greedy as companies as many of them are massive shits, but that does seem easily open for assholes on mass just to play games are refund them, don't really think it's very wise, unless their is some caveat.

Still, great company. From what I understand Valve was basically forced to add refunds than something out of choice.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Yeah, I'm against this. It's too easily abused and will drive devs away from the platform.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

@djoffer said:

That’s crazy! Is there any word on how they are planning to prevent people from abusing it?

We're monitoring the effects of the current update to make sure no one is using this policy to hurt the developers that put their time and heart into making great games. We may refuse refunds in such individual cases. We'd also let you know about any future adjustments in the voluntary Refund Policy in advance.

It will be abused but it is a smart move in differentiating itself from competitors ala Costco's return policy so I see it working for them in the end.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2133 Posts

In before all publishers pull their games from GOG. Why would any company agree to such a policy, where anyone can buy a game, complete it in the 30 days and then get all the money back?

OliverSnyders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 OliverSnyders
Member since 2017 • 226 Posts

That's great! GOG stays most consumer-friendly.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@xantufrog said:

@madrocketeer: yeah it's a bit too generous. They will be abused and they will have developers balking.

Still, I appreciate a company siding with the gamers over devs (*cough Epic cough*)

How often does that happen, right? I will support them entirely in this pursuit, with my wallet and on the net. I think this is worth celebrating for gamers. I would love to see more companies putting consumers first.

(BTW their Galaxy 2.0 is pretty awesome. It bugs out on me sometimes (1 or 2 services suddenly isn't connected anymore) but if they can work that out, it's becoming my go-to games launcher.)

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KungfuKitten

@djoffer said:

That’s crazy! Is there any word on how they are planning to prevent people from abusing it? I mean most games are easily completed in 30 days...

I mean I bet that they can see you played through the entire game and they'll be like: "bruh..."

And if I were them I would also check any account refunding two games in a row or in a short period of time, or any new account refunding their first game. There are ways to mitigate the damage this could cause with mass abuse.

And I bet most gamers wouldn't even think to abuse something like this. Especially with GoG since they have been so awesome for us.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xantufrog  Moderator

@KungfuKitten: yeah I'm loving 2.0 - I only actually use Steam's interface now for games where I want to use the Steam controller.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xantufrog  Moderator
@KungfuKitten said:
@djoffer said:

I mean I bet that they can see you played through the entire game and they'll be like: "bruh..."

And if I were them I would also check any account refunding two games in a row or in a short period of time, or any new account refunding their first game. There are ways to mitigate the damage this could cause with mass abuse.

These are both good points - that will allow them to deny refunds pretty easily for sketchy cases. Of course... that opens up a floor for argument "but you didn't say I... but 77% complete is not 100% so I... I only played the MP..." Their customer service is going to have a huge headache

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16  Edited By dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

GOG Galaxy is still not supported on Linux.

Also, this refund policy is going to get abused like hell. I mean, how is this even going to work with customers being able to download complete DRM-free games? What's to stop someone from buying a game, downloading it, and then immediately refunding it while keeping the game?

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17  Edited By dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts
@xantufrog said:

Of course... that opens up a floor for argument "but you didn't say I... but 77% complete is not 100% so I... I only played the MP..." Their customer service is going to have a huge headache

So someone buys a game, downloads it, and then seeks a refund within 24-hours. Then what? GOG is going to send the police knocking on their door to make sure they deleted the download from their hard drive?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xantufrog  Moderator

@dzimm said:
@xantufrog said:

Of course... that opens up a floor for argument "but you didn't say I... but 77% complete is not 100% so I... I only played the MP..." Their customer service is going to have a huge headache

So someone a game, downloads it, and then seeks a refund within 24-hours. Then what? GOG is going to send the police knocking on your door to make sure you deleted the download from hard drive?

...I'm confused. It seems like you agree with me but are arguing with me?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KungfuKitten

@dzimm said:
@xantufrog said:

So someone buys a game, downloads it, and then seeks a refund within 24-hours. Then what? GOG is going to send the police knocking on their door to make sure they deleted the download from their hard drive?

Ah you actually bring up a good point. I suppose GOG games are DRM free and you don't need their service to launch them. I hadn't thought about that. That means it is pretty open for abuse, I suppose. Well, I hope that people aren't going to be too nasty about it.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4220 Posts

I ❤️ Goodoldgames. So good for them.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I know they mean well but I can see this getting abused. I would have to think that they must be monitoring refund activity with potential to ban people who do it too often.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

I'm thinking this is to test the waters. That's an incredibly generous refund policy, but GoG is well-known for being for gamers, so I hope this doesn't end in a complete inundation of idiots wanting refunds.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#23 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58906 Posts

@rmpumper said:

In before all publishers pull their games from GOG. Why would any company agree to such a policy, where anyone can buy a game, complete it in the 30 days and then get all the money back?

Yea, wouldn't be surprised if they quickly backtrack on this, and wouldn't blame them.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

For the refund policy, does this mean I can still refund even if I played to end credit?

Well oh well I am taking full advantage of this thanks. Been compiling a list of those under 20 hour games.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@xantufrog said:

Aye, just need to find the middle ground.

I think a "days played" policy is better than an "hours played" policy; I had Modern Warfare for only a single day, but because I played it for four hours, they deemed I had "experienced a significant percentage of the game to not warrant a refund".

Maybe let the developer set the refund metric; if a game has seven chapters and you only finished the first, maybe they could still get a refund.

I would like to see the statistics for this policy after a year, specifically how many % their refunds increased, whether they made money, and so on.

We might not be giving humanity enough credit; I think most people would not return a game if they played it and liked it.

Monkey_Seeker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26 Monkey_Seeker
Member since 2014 • 59 Posts

Given the fact their games are all DRM free anyway I don't see how it's any more open to abuse than it already was?

Why would someone looking to play the game for free bother going through a transaction on GoG to refund it later when they can easily get a DRM free GoG copy from elsewhere?

KazHirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KazHirai
Member since 2019 • 433 Posts

This is a terrible policy and will severely hurt developers/publishers, also none of them were consulted about it prior to the change.

A policy like this depends on the decency of people to be honest and not abuse the system, it will be abused heavily.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I’m pretty sure that the “return no matter the play time” is only for good PR and advertising. You can bet they’ll be keeping an eye on how a person is using it, and if they see a trend of abuse, they’ll refuse the refund and/or ban the user.

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts

I just made the active decision to spend more time browsing GOG.com for my gaming purchases ahead of other options. So, they probably just nabbed some sales through generous practices. There's that.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@sakaixx said:

For the refund policy, does this mean I can still refund even if I played to end credit?

Well oh well I am taking full advantage of this thanks. Been compiling a list of those under 20 hour games.

Remember that this is GOG and they are DRM free. You can buy it, install it, refund it within minutes/hours and you still have access to the game without they knowing it. That is why most publishers wont put their games on GOG, it's automatic piracy already. You are wasting your time compiling a list.

@MirkoS77 said:I’m pretty sure that the “return no matter the play time” is only for good PR and advertising. You can bet they’ll be keeping an eye on how a person is using it, and if they see a trend of abuse, they’ll refuse the refund and/or ban the user.

They will probably just have a secret amount of refunds you can do over a certain time period.