God of War’s Norse Setting Won’t Feature Vikings

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

I smell a sequel already! God of War will not feature Vikings in the next God of War game and I think I know why.

As seen in the exchange on Twitter between a God of War fan and Barlog, the director is asked if the legendary vikings Ragnar Lothbrok or Bjorn Ironsides would be making an appearance in the game due to the title being set within a Norse environment. Barlog apologizes to say that he doesn’t “see them appearing” since the next installment in the series apparently occurs “well before” the beginning of the Viking Age.

It's possible that they might make Kratos or his son the first Viking which will be established at the end of the game or some time during the second. It's like when Kratos was the head of the Spartan Army when he was a God of War. That's my opinion at least. What do you guys make of this?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

The gameplay they showed from God of War bored me to tears, which has never happened seeing any God of War game's gameplay.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Fine by me. If the legacy of Kratos is that he overthrew the Greek Gods and served as the harbinger of the Nordic era (possibly father of its Gods and legends), I would have little creative disagreement. It's an interesting premise and revitalizes the narrative stance the previous games wore down.

jv303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 jv303
Member since 2014 • 545 Posts

A comparison might be to say, "______ story takes place in Bible times, so there are no Christians."

God of War takes place in the time of legend that Vikings later refer to in their families poems and such.

As to his son, I doubt his son is the first Viking. He *could*, however, become one of the Norse gods.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Or interesting gameplay.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69456 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

The gameplay they showed from God of War bored me to tears, which has never happened seeing any God of War game's gameplay.

I am still tearing up.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k  Online

@Pedro said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

I am still tearing up.

When god of war comes up this E3, avert your eyes man !

Avert your eyes :'(

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#8 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Agreed. All I got from what they showed was basically: TLOU with Kratos in Scandinavia with Gimli's axe as a weapon. zzzZZZZZzzzzz

After reading this I dont know what to say. I'm calling a 9/10 from Gamespot nonetheless because of emotional relationship of dad and son

jv303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jv303

Barlog responded to people complaining that the demo was too mellow, saying that the goal was to show how it was different, what they were adding to the franchise, but then insisted that it's still the God of War we all love with bloody action and epic backdrops and such.

It would be wise for him to prove that this E3. Okay, we see how it's different... now prove to us that it's still God of War.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k  Online

@cainetao11 said:

Agreed. All I got from what they showed was basically: TLOU with Kratos in Scandinavia with Gimli's axe as a weapon. zzzZZZZZzzzzz

After reading this I dont know what to say. I'm calling a 9/10 from Gamespot nonetheless because of emotional relationship of dad and son

Maybe they listened to reviewers complaining there was not enough story in God of War and that Kratos wasn't relatable because he is always angry ?

I mean of course he is always angry. If the gods hated me that much, I'd be pretty pissed off too :P

jv303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jv303

I'll take the way God of War was revived over the way Gears of War was.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cainetao11

@R4gn4r0k said:
@cainetao11 said:

Maybe they listened to reviewers complaining there was not enough story in God of War and that Kratos wasn't relatable because he is always angry ?

I mean of course he is always angry. If the gods hated me that much, I'd be pretty pissed off too :P

I didnt need to relate to him anymore than anger. I loved the fact I was going to fire up some GoW and get to slaughter shit. There's no doubt that since TLOU Sony is making the cinematic emotional thing part of their forefront.

@jv303 said:

You're a cow. Did you think we didnt know?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jg4xchamp

@jv303 said:

On paper, dramatic change sounds like a boon.

In actuality as someone who adores RE4, that game is more an exception, most major changes have usually been for the worse, and that's usually because the game loses some serious meat in terms of its gameplay, RE4 being the exception is a product of its action gameplay actually being tight, nuanced, and varied for its entire run. Halo 4's mp was completely overhauled, the mp community hated it, Splinter Cell was overhauled, and saying that entry is hated on is under selling it, Hitman Absolution made significant changes in direction and focused more on making 47 a character, and people hated it. I'd continue, but you get the jist.

Whatever Gears of War's short comings in single player, it's multiplayer has stayed relatively strong, and best of all The Coalition at least seemed more focused on highlighting the better aspects of Gears mp mechanics. But at the least, sure, I will gladly agree with you that "More fucking gears of war" only kept my attention for so long, before I moved on to stuff that was a fresher experience for me.

But, this take on God of War? Doesn't look like it's a more nuanced and thoughtful progression, in fact it's kind of sickening how many different alterations have been made for a story/cinematic reason to provide gameplay that is far more clunky looking than it should be in this genre. But that type of stuff only matters to people who worry about things like, the gameplay in this medium apparently. And after Uncharted 4 finally fixed its shooting mechanics and paired it with some of the best combat spaces for a cover shooter like that, only to offset with it some mind numbingly dull stretches of effortless gameplay doesn't exactly have me excited for how God of War 4 is gonna handle shit, especially about a character who is atrociously written as Kratos.

jv303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jv303

Oh, please. Gears 4 was solid, but it's just another Gears game. Aside from your character being skinned differently - Marcus' son instead of Marcus - it's identical to the others. At least with God of War, someone's doing something differently.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58948 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@cainetao11 said:

That's one of the appealing things about the series I think, it's unapologetically masculine. Much like 80's and early 90's movies. The closest comparison is probably Conan (no not the forum one) where the entire movie is simply about the idea carving your way past the establishment.

Nowadays men are suppose to be ashamed of that and get haircut like Russell Brand, if a woman doesn't have her legs covered up and if it doesn't appeal to wankers who read Polygon it's not with the times.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cainetao11

@uninspiredcup: Agreed. I never got upset about the fact Ryu Hayabusa had no real characterization in NG or NG2. It was great fun putting combos together and slicing sheeot up. GoW was a revenge tale. I didnt need Kratos to be an in depth, layered character.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jg4xchamp

@jv303 said:

Oh, please. Gears 4 was solid, but it's just another Gears game. Aside from your character being skinned differently - Marcus' son instead of Marcus - it's identical to the others. At least with God of War, someone's doing something differently.

I didn't say otherwise sunshine, but doing something different isn't inherently a virtue. You can easily different, and have it be shittier. And this while certainly looking pretty, focuses on what trying to humanize a piece of shit, and then taking a game that was at least fluid but shallow and turning its mechanics into something more shallow and less fluid by comparison? Under some false pretense of "doing something different".

Resident Evil 4 was at least innovative at the time, not just different. God of War 4 is what, lets turn God of War into more like Last of Us? Woooooooooo truly beacons of creativity there. More to it, hell, if you really wanted to do "something different" why not just make a new ip or at least a new character?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

TBH, there's not much exciting me about this new GoW. I'll wait to play it, but damn... That gameplay reveal...

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

Does the game really take place in Scandinavia, though? It could be in Gaul or just the mountains of Macedonia during the winter... Has anyone confirmed this?

Being in Scandinavia would be a VERY weird local for a God of War game, especially with no Norse mythology. Besides, the climate in Europe was much colder then (~1000 BCE, i.e. ancient Greece) than it is now. Therefore, it's very possible it could be in the central belt of Europe.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

I keep forgetting that this game is even in the works.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@cainetao11 said:

I didnt need to relate to him anymore than anger. I loved the fact I was going to fire up some GoW and get to slaughter shit. There's no doubt that since TLOU Sony is making the cinematic emotional thing part of their forefront.

@jv303 said:

You're a cow. Did you think we didnt know?

"we", who? Your inbred cousins in your little pro trump pro microsoft basement cult party?

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

No way. Greek Mythology and Vikings are just separated by what ? Some 3000 years of history LOL

lastcoin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lastcoin
Member since 2015 • 248 Posts

But Kratos is a deep character. Most of the industry might have forgot, the first God of war was well known for story telling and Kratos personality, who is a Champion of the gods but murdered his own family . Seed redemption but was tested, used and betrayed. He rages for the sin he bear and the Gods rejected his dead.

The second game broke every storyline from the first game(Kratos and Athena? Your life is a joke dude), yet Kartos did found his redemption in the third game.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

God of Meh.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

Not really an issue. you hardly interact with any humans in any of the god of war games. it's mostly about crushing "demons" and interacting with the godlike beings and as long as it's not just "enter room, kill all bad guys, move to room 2" I'll be fine with it. I just wanna see Thor & Loki in it is all I ask.

God of War series is an awesome game, one of my favorite series and I'm a sucker for anything relating to ancient Gods as a whole. Especially Greek mythology. The new one looks different and interesting, am willing to see what they have to offer before I give my judgement. But what I find funny is how one of Sony's biggest game studio ( santa monica) depends a lot on God of War series. It's like they are scared of trying something else.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

@Zero_epyon:

I hope it has zombies.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#27  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Norse mythology is connected to Greek mythology. According to Norse myth, the Asgardian gods were not native to the Norse lands, but were Trojan migrants from Troy (in modern-day Turkey). Rome had a similar founding legend, that Rome was founded by Trojan refugees from Troy.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zero_epyon

@jv303 said:

A comparison might be to say, "______ story takes place in Bible times, so there are no Christians."

God of War takes place in the time of legend that Vikings later refer to in their families poems and such.

As to his son, I doubt his son is the first Viking. He *could*, however, become one of the Norse gods.

That's a good point. He could become Odin...

jv303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jv303

@Zero_epyon:

Tyr is a God of War in Norse mythology.

The boy's name is Atreus.

A-tyr-eus...

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Zero_epyon

@jv303 said:

@Zero_epyon:

Tyr is a God of War in Norse mythology.

The boy's name is Atreus.

A-tyr-eus...

Hmm. We'll have to see.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I've no expectations when it comes to Norse mythology, but I know God of War, I'll probably be hard to please since I mostly want a return to the God of War 2 days in terms of tone and gratuitousness and excellence in game design. God of War 3 onward gave the series a substantial face-lift but it regressed in every way that mattered to me.

This game definitely looks different, the demo had about as much walking sections as I'd expect from The Order 1886, hopefully that's just the demo. If they make the game a proper violent beat-em-up with satisfying combat, good boss battles and loads of filler combat, I'll be happy. If there were one quality I'd like to see make a return to the series, it's the series' over-the-top unapologetic baseness. I doubt we'll get that. Since this is such a radical change for the series, I'm open to whatever it becomes, as long as they do it right. Just don't make it a movie game that goes overkill on walking sections.

lastcoin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lastcoin
Member since 2015 • 248 Posts

@lamprey263:You mean all those overkill looooooooonnng hallways in the first two games? They took minutes to cross with no fight scene,no cut scene, not even dialogue.

Like I said, God of war was a story telling series(in action genre), those walking sections was place to build up emotion(hype, sorrow). I find most people now a day said otherwise.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: "The gameplay they showed from God of War bored me to tears, which has never happened seeing any God of War game's gameplay."

Agreed.

Bowaddict4L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bowaddict4L
Member since 2017 • 38 Posts

@Jag85: Interesting could you provide any links to your information that you posted?

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@jg4xchamp: Oh, so you played this new God of War extensively to know that whatever gameplay changes they'll bring are utter shit? :v

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

What a complete waste of such a rich mythology.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

@lamprey263: You should edit your sig that says: PLEASE don't buy an Xbox Scorpio lol.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

Looking forward to it. Was tired of the old games and combat will be fine. Bring it.