God of War shows exactly why I do not care for cinematic/story-driven games

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

If you were expecting a hate thread you'll be disappointed.

I'm probably a dozen of hours in or so. The game is good. Very good in fact. I'd say it's so far my favorite game behind Bloodborne this generation. Why this thread? Simply because the game took a while to get going. The early parts are filled with cut scenes and storytelling that actively wrestle control away from the player. It's very hand-holdy and the tutorial is several hours long. Once that's out of the way and the game lets you experiment with the combat system and explore on your own? Boy does the game shine. Problem is, it takes a few hours for that to happen. Once you pass that mark, the game opens up and becomes A LOT better.

I don't particularly care for the story. I like Kratos' son Atreus as he has a very believable personality and is quite useful in combat but other than that, I'm not interested in all those cut scenes that interrupt the play to tell me what's going on. This game confirms my personal thoughts on the matter, heavy storytelling is detrimental to good gameplay. If from the beginning the game didn't hold my hand and the system was opened from the get go, it'd be much better.

That said excellent GAME. Yes, the game part. It's in a way a "movie-game" as people here like to call them but one with pretty damn solid and fun gameplay.

Edit: And before you start with “oh but I like stories and it’s my opinion”. This isn’t about that. This is simply about how story and gameplay are practically in direct contradiction. One can hardly happen at the same time as the others and one will almost invariably clash with the other.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

#2 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

Nice clickbait, i posted because feel bad nobody posted in this thread.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

These immediate rewards are what wrong with a lot of players.

I want full control right now, as if you wrote the book yourself.

Of course i respect your opinion, but all these movie thingies sound to me lake spoiled brats thing!!!

You don't care for story, other do, so how are we going to solve the equation?!?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Juub1990

@sovkhan: So wanting to play right away is wrong huh? My reward for sitting through cut scenes is game time? Can I stress how utterly stupid this is?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7693 Posts

@sovkhan: obviously with unskippable cut scenes

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#6  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17764 Posts

I like a good story and cinematic moments, but I felt like it was a bit much and a little cheesy in the early going. The performance capture in the game lacks the fidelity in animation to really pull off the emotional scenes with the boy crying and shit. Also, on more than one occasion Kratos reaches out to comfort Atreus and then pulls his hand back. Repeating that just seems forced and loses the emotional impact. Also, Kratos always calling out "boy!", "Hey boy!" gets annoying real quick. I am enjoying the game more now that I am deeper into it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55898 Posts

Way too many God of War threads around here for me to keep saying the same thing in every thread :(

Never mind my rants, I'm really digging the new God of War game, this game is on par with Hellblade in every ways since there both in Norse Mythology settings, I'm really enjoying both story and gameplay combat here. My first boss battle with the Stranger (I do believe it's Thor ) was intense, and so far, loving the game and glad Santa Monica totally moving away from the old God of War games and in with the new.

Glad to see you are loving this game Juub1990.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@davillain-: Oh man. I didn’t thought of the stranger as the one you mention now that you mention it I can totally make sense. Just that he didn’t look as I expected thanks to those recent movies lol

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Juub1990
@davillain- said:

Way too many God of War threads around here for me to keep saying the same thing in every thread :(

Never mind my rants, I'm really digging the new God of War game, this game is on par with Hellblade in every ways since there both in Norse Mythology settings, I'm really enjoying both story and gameplay combat here. My first boss battle with the Stranger (I do believe it's Thor ) was intense, and so far, loving the game and glad Santa Monica totally moving away from the old God of War games and in with the new.

@ni6htmare01 said:

@davillain-: Oh man. I didn’t thought of the stranger as the one you mention now that you mention it I can totally make sense. Just that he didn’t look as I expected thanks to those recent movies lol

How could you guys even think for a second it is him? It obviously isn't. I don't even know who it is but I know 100% it's not him. The only way you'd be right is if he started smoking crack.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#10 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17764 Posts

@davillain- said:

When you first get to the lake, Atreus says "that sounds like Baldur" when Kratos mentions a man who can not feel anything.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11  Edited By deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

You lot should stick to shitty multiplayer.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@BassMan: I didn’t get that far yet thanks to a lot real life thinks to do. Lol

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator

@Juub1990: Based on the trophy list, you fight two of Thor's sons and going by he mentions Odin and Thor's already been mentioned in an official story video awhile back. Also, I do hope no one doesn't confuse this Norse game with that Marvel Bullcrap Norse cause they already hurt the lure of what the Norse Gods should be.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@Juub1990:

I have beaten the main story. I think it took me maybe over 23 hours as I decided to leave everything and go for the story quest. I would not say its better then Bloodborne as a game and I actually like all manner of story telling. Bloodborne to me is the most purest way of story telling and completely no handholding in games. Its simply the best type game this gen. GOW shows how to do a game with both cinematic story and have gameplay design at the same time. It is both a good cinematic game and has great gameplay. Its very interesting for you who do not like cinematic story telling and yet think highly of it. That just validate what I think the game has. This is probably the reason why its getting the highest praise.

For me the design is so solid that it feels like after every major story beat. The game proceed to speak to you saying thank you for putting up with that weather you enjoyed it or not. We have a reward for you we have unlocked a bunch of more gamplay for you to play with, for you to explore with. Sometimes is literally like changing how Bloodborne does story telling but at the same time leaving the gameplay intact. Its tries hard to keep combination of its former past the stylistic action games which are usually very very very cinematic but also keeps gameplay grounded. Perhaps the best thing they did is nailed the combat made it challenging.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#15 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69083 Posts

I agree 100%. Its the reason that I despise most Sony games where the over emphasis on story negatively affects the game. Tomb Raider is a prime example for me. I enjoyed the game significantly more once the story was over. Games primary purpose is NOT storytelling but interactivity. Its the core differentiation from movies. I believe gamers so want to be relevant and not viewed as kids that this over emphasis on story telling is a side effect of man children wanting to belong or feel like their form of entertainment is "meaningful" and not just mindless killing.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pedro

@ellos said:

@Juub1990:

I have beaten the main story. I think it took me maybe over 23 hours as I decided to leave everything and go for the story quest. I would not say its better then Bloodborne as a game and I actually like all manner of story telling. Bloodborne to me is the most purest way of story telling and completely no handholding in games. Its simply the best type game this gen. GOW shows how to do a game with both cinematic story and have gameplay design at the same time. It is both a good cinematic game and has great gameplay. Its very interesting for you who do not like cinematic story telling and yet think highly of it. That just validate what I think the game has. This is probably the reason why its getting the highest praise.

For me the design is so solid that it feels like after every major story beat. The game proceed to speak to you saying thank you for putting up with that weather you enjoyed it or not. We have a reward for you we have unlocked a bunch of more gamplay for you to play with, for you to explore with. Sometimes is literally like changing how Bloodborne does story telling but at the same time leaving the gameplay intact. Its tries hard to keep combination of its former past the stylistic action games which are usually very very very cinematic but also keeps gameplay grounded. Perhaps the best thing they did is nailed the combat made it challenging.

What and Why?

Why should a game force gamers to experience mediocre gameplay with non interactive sequences for an extended periods of time for good/great gameplay? That is like watching a movie and every 5 minutes you are forced to play a mini game and after several instances of that you get the opportunity to watch the movie mini game free.

I may have misunderstood what you are saying. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24847 Posts

Its just another overhyped sony game. nothing more, nothing less.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 44939 Posts

God of War games have always had stories and cut scenes and characters. It's on you if you are disappointed with that aspect of the game. That's like going to see a horror movie and then complaining that it's too scary.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic said:

God of War games have always had stories and cut scenes and characters. It's on you if you are disappointed with that aspect of the game. That's like going to see a horror movie and then complaining that it's too scary.

The above is when simple minds attempt to comprehend complex ideas.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18782 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: @Juub1990:

Aren't you the same guy who praised Uncharted 4?

@solidgame

I haven't played current gow but the previous gows were more gameplay focused.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 44939 Posts
@Pedro said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

The above is when simple minds attempt to comprehend complex ideas.

So you're telling me based on all of the marketing for this game, all of the interviews, all of the youtube videos and forum posts.. that GoW is not what was advertised?

@PSP107 said:

@solidgame

It is VERY gameplay heavy. More content than any other GoW. There is a semi-open world for you to do challenges and optional boss fights on top of the regular campaign. There is loot and side missions. It's the people here who are blowing up the beginning part of the game for no real reason other than complaining about something that they knew was going to be there. There is a reason why these games have a cinematic aspect to them. If people didn't buy these games, you wouldn't see them.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ellos
@Pedro said:
@ellos said:

@Juub1990:

What and Why?

Why should a game force gamers to experience mediocre gameplay with non interactive sequences for an extended periods of time for good/great gameplay? That is like watching a movie and every 5 minutes you are forced to play a mini game and after several instances of that you get the opportunity to watch the movie mini game free.

I may have misunderstood what you are saying. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I would not say its mediocre gameplay as it blended both game play and cut-scenes some of them very clever. Its also obvious these type of game heck even souls games are trying to tell a story. And of course this is not Yakuza where you watch almost an hour cut scene type of stuff. Some of them are like mini cinematic games found on your favourite platformer when you stun the boss or when boss is about to die. Like I said you also know there is a game to be played because you have been playing it to get to where your at. I dont know man you ever play Bayonetta you watch a lot of interactive stuff but you put up with it because you get to play the sweetest combat gamplay in the biz.

I don't know Pedro it seems to me the games that you want for this types are souls games that will not do that stuff. People don't buy those games nor do they put them above there favorite games with story. For This is why The Witcher 3 is the most popular game in the forums it has story in the most grander way plus its multiplat. For me for your earlier post I look it this way Tomb Raider really? You need to play other types of games if you absolutely don't want that.

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

Glad to see you're enjoying it. Have to laugh at people that compare it to Uncharted/TLoU since it's nothing like them outside of the very beginning of the game.

Best comparison I can make is Tomb Raider 2013 (which makes sense given Cory worked on that game too) but more open meets Dark Souls. You can tell the game's going to be pretty big when it gets to the point where you have fast travel, and then they introduce the different realms on top of that.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Juub1990
@PSP107 said:

@solidgame

Had the exact same complaints about Uncharted 4. When the open and vertical spaces were used as fighting stages, it made for some terrific action and the gunplay was solid. Problem is the encounter simply fitted poorly into the narrative and were too scarce at the beginning and too close to one another towards the end. I enjoyed Uncharted 4 whenever it wasn't trying to wrestle control away from me. Pacing is awful.

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

GoW shows why I like cinematic games

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Ludo narrative desonence?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pedro

@ellos said:

I would not say its mediocre gameplay as it blended both game play and cut-scenes some of them very clever. Its also obvious these type of game heck even souls games are trying to tell a story. And of course this is not Yakuza where you watch almost an hour cut scene type of stuff. Some of them are like mini cinematic games found on your favourite platformer when you stun the boss or when boss is about to die. Like I said you also know there is a game to be played because you have been playing it to get to where your at. I dont know man you ever play Bayonetta you watch a lot of interactive stuff but you put up with it because you get to play the sweetest combat gamplay in the biz.

I don't know Pedro it seems to me the games that you want for this types are souls games that will not do that stuff. People don't buy those games nor do they put them above there favorite games with story. For This is why The Witcher 3 is the most popular game in the forums it has story in the most grander way plus its multiplat. For me for your earlier post I look it this way Tomb Raider really? You need to play other types of games if you absolutely don't want that.

Any game in which the game is routinely interrupted for story or to communicate an idea is mediocre gameplay. You seem to come to the conclusion that I am against cutscenes entirely which is not the case. But the idea of "I couldn't tell difference between cutscene and gameplay until I move the analog stick" is simply bad gameplay. This supposed seamless transition between gameplay and cinematic indicates that the player is unable to discern when the non interactive portion is complete.

You also have this strange notion that Souls games are the only exception to the rule and its not. Its not different from most non cinematic games. The Witcher 3 sported some of the wore combat mechanics I have encountered in a action RPG. The story was exceptionally heavy handed and what most still talk about is the story while the gameplay is secondary. Just like I don't watch movies to interact, I don't PLAY games to sit back and be entertained.

Fortunately the majority of games aren't cinematic and almost movie like. Just that the ones that are gets most of the attention and is generating the "movie game" phenomena.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18782 Posts

@Juub1990:

Wrong person then because Uncharted 4 is definitely my worse title I have(if you don't count the online which I still like) as it literally was putting me to sleep going through it.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20095 Posts
@Juub1990 said:
@davillain- said:

@ni6htmare01 said:

How could you guys even think for a second it is him? It obviously isn't. I don't even know who it is but I know 100% it's not him. The only way you'd be right is if he started smoking crack.

I don't know who you guys think it is since I refuse to reveal the spoiler tag. But it's explained who he is. I actually know of him from another game. He was mentioned in Hellblade too. I think.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ellos

@Pedro: I tried to understand what is it that your looking for. You like the new Tomb Raider Reboots yet to me they have all the things that you don't like in these other games. I don't only mean cutscenes but same interrupts and cut scenes transitions. I mean you get all of that in the intro of ROTTR which sets up for whats to come. You liked HZD more so then BOTW for example. Out of the two to me HZD does the stuff you dont like more so. I guess I dont understand what is it your looking for. Why are you complaining then who knows you may like GOW. That is why I said there are specific genres and type of games that do not entertain all that stuff.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#31 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts
@Juub1990 said:

If you were expecting a hate thread you'll be disappointed.

I'm probably a dozen of hours in or so. The game is good. Very good in fact. I'd say it's so far my favorite game behind Bloodborne this generation. Why this thread? Simply because the game took a while to get going. The early parts are filled with cut scenes and storytelling that actively wrestle control away from the player. It's very hand-holdy and the tutorial is several hours long. Once that's out of the way and the game lets you experiment with the combat system and explore on your own? Boy does the game shine. Problem is, it takes a few hours for that to happen. Once you pass that mark, the game opens up and becomes A LOT better.

I don't particularly care for the story. I like Kratos' son Atreus as he has a very believable personality and is quite useful in combat but other than that, I'm not interested in all those cut scenes that interrupt the play to tell me what's going on. This game confirms my personal thoughts on the matter, heavy storytelling is detrimental to good gameplay. If from the beginning the game didn't hold my hand and the system was opened from the get go, it'd be much better.

That said excellent GAME. Yes, the game part. It's in a way a "movie-game" as people here like to call them but one with pretty damn solid and fun gameplay.

Edit: And before you start with “oh but I like stories and it’s my opinion”. This isn’t about that. This is simply about how story and gameplay are practically in direct contradiction. One can hardly happen at the same time as the others and one will almost invariably clash with the other.

and yet the game was given 10/10 score across the board when it clearly has these weaknesses that were easily deduced from watching the trailers. An 8/10 would have been a more honest and non bias score (and I'm being generous to not shave off points for the mere fact that the game runs at 30fps, which in my book is easily a 3 points deduction), how the fanboys are passing this game as a masterpiece is beyond me.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pedro

@ellos said:

@Pedro: I tried to understand what is it that your looking for. You like the new Tomb Raider Reboots yet to me they have all the things that you don't like in these other games. I don't only mean cutscenes but same interrupts and cut scenes transitions. I mean you get all of that in the intro of ROTTR which sets up for whats to come. You liked HZD more so then BOTW for example. Out of the two to me HZD does the stuff you dont like more so. I guess I dont understand what is it your looking for. Why are you complaining then who knows you may like GOW. That is why I said there are specific genres and type of games that do not entertain all that stuff.

As I have stated initially

"Tomb Raider is a prime example for me. I enjoyed the game significantly more once the story was over."

I did not like the portions in which control was routinely taken away from me and the moments where I simply pushed forward to carry on the story.

I can still enjoy a game despite the intrusive non-interactive portions. The inclusion of these portions still negatively affect my experience but it all depends on the ratio and frequency.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Juub1990
@Dark_sageX said:

and yet the game was given 10/10 score across the board when it clearly has these weaknesses that were easily deduced from watching the trailers. An 8/10 would have been a more honest and non bias score (and I'm being generous to not shave off points for the mere fact that the game runs at 30fps, which in my book is easily a 3 points deduction), how the fanboys are passing this game as a masterpiece is beyond me.

Well it IS a very good game. many people care for video game stories. I don't.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ellos
@Pedro said:
@ellos said:

As I have stated initially

"Tomb Raider is a prime example for me. I enjoyed the game significantly more once the story was over."

I did not like the portions in which control was routinely taken away from me and the moments where I simply pushed forward to carry on the story.

I can still enjoy a game despite the intrusive non-interactive portions. The inclusion of these portions still negatively affect my experience but it all depends on the ratio and frequency.

I think i get you now still i think your loosing out for not liking stories. You may like GOW in similar way its more Tomb Raider on that kinda stuff then UC.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#35 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts
@Juub1990 said:
@Dark_sageX said:

I'm not saying its a bad game, I'm saying its overrated. Story driven based games are fine but they all suffer the same weakness, lack of re-play value. I don't see myself picking up the controller again once I'm done with the game (and a lot of sony exclusives for that matter), and that for a video game is NOT a good thing, its not so bad that it would effect the quality of the game, but it is most certainly bad enough to remove a point for that 10/10 score.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pedro

@ellos said:

I think i get you now still i think your loosing out for not liking stories. You may like GOW in similar way its more Tomb Raider on that kinda stuff then UC.

I am not loosing out on anything. If I am not interested in a game that has a strong story start and strong gameplay element later, I am better off playing it when I am in the mood for something like that. At the moment, I want my gaming time to be just that, gaming. Its not like the gameplay loses value if I play it a month, or year from now because I never experienced it to begin with. I am glad to read that is not like UC, which is a great thing.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#37  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I love a good story as much as i love good gameplay. I had a blast with games like Firewatch, Gone Home, Life is Strange, etc....games kids call walking simulators these days.

Honestly i think GoW has the perfect balance between both.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pedro

@PAL360 said:

I love a good story as much as i love good gameplay. I had a blast with games like Firewatch, Gone Home, Life is Strange, etc....games kids call walking simulators these days.

You do realize that most of the folks that talk about walking simulators are not kids.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#39  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@Pedro: Really? Lack of maturity would at least justify that.

Any experienced gamer should know that slow paced games with high focus on story have been around for decades.

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 babyjoker1221
Member since 2015 • 1313 Posts

@Dark_sageX said:
@Juub1990 said:
@Dark_sageX said:

I'm not saying its a bad game, I'm saying its overrated. Story driven based games are fine but they all suffer the same weakness, lack of re-play value. I don't see myself picking up the controller again once I'm done with the game (and a lot of sony exclusives for that matter), and that for a video game is NOT a good thing, its not so bad that it would effect the quality of the game, but it is most certainly bad enough to remove a point for that 10/10 score.

Agree completely. While a playthrough of many of Sony's flagship games such as UC, HZD, or GoW DE might be enjoyable.... Nobody is gonna play through it multiple times. The slow pacing of these games only magnifies it. The devs have slowed the pace of these games down to a crawl in order to extend the play time of a game with minimal content. It works on the initial playthrough, but almost assures that the person won't beat it more than once.

Even a game that's light on content like Sea of Thieves offers far more playtime per dollar than GoW DE, due to what type of game it is.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ellos
@Pedro said:
@ellos said:

I am not loosing out on anything. If I am not interested in a game that has a strong story start and strong gameplay element later, I am better off playing it when I am in the mood for something like that. At the moment, I want my gaming time to be just that, gaming. Its not like the gameplay loses value if I play it a month, or year from now because I never experienced it to begin with. I am glad to read that is not like UC, which is a great thing.

Well a bit different for me these days. Gamplay is always first of course but story with it, can be enough of motivation. This is mostly because I think most games gameplay are really just not that good anymore. I could say **** the story for games like BOTW, Bayonetta, BloodBorne, and even GOW now etc. Sort of the premise of the TC. He does not care for these cinematic and story telling games but GOW is one of his favourite game so far. Honestly I would not wait for ROTTR Story to pass so I can go enjoy gameplay there cause I think the part I want is not that good, done better elsewhere. Exploration good but had enough of it while following the story. Well because that was the initial game. Its really, give me good gameplay if not Ill take story and gameplay.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

so god of war is a movie game too lol

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Juub1990
@commander said:

Well it is very heavy on cut scenes and dialogue and often I find this detrimental to the game. The voice acting, writing and story are all pretty decent(great for the voice acting) but at times, especially in the beginning, it is simply too heavy handed and wrestles control away from the player. Still a damn good game though.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

Big surprise to see pedro complaining about a game he hasn’t played yet. Stick to sea of thieves and mario bro. We get it, you don’t like cinematics in video games.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#46 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

@Pedro said:
@ellos said:

@Juub1990:

What and Why?

Why shouldn't devs get to create what they want? If people want all gameplay no story go make that for yourselves or seek that out and do not support games with story telling.

Like people that bitch about MP only games, its stupid imo to bitch that other people are making what you don't care for. Just play the type of games you do.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@commander said:

Well it is very heavy on cut scenes and dialogue and often I find this detrimental to the game. The voice acting, writing and story are all pretty decent(great for the voice acting) but at times, especially in the beginning, it is simply too heavy handed and wrestles control away from the player. Still a damn good game though.

I stopped watching computer movies back in 2001, the movie was final fantasy.

Gaming needs to be about gaming, and it needs to differentiate itself by being original. There are not many single player games that can grab my attention though, especially not with vr nowadays. I rather replay games in vr than play new games on a pancake screen.

Multiplayer is another matter tho

To me , game scores for pancake games like this is like giving 2d games high scores in the end nineties when you have the likes of halflife and unreal just released.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

@sovkhan: So wanting to play right away is wrong huh? My reward for sitting through cut scenes is game time? Can I stress how utterly stupid this is?

Sure, utterly stupid!!!

If action is what matter to you, jump on that mp train and forget about stories told or untold.

You can't have it both way man!!!

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Every game has cut scenes and tutorials at the beginning, even 'souls.

But I must admit I wish most games did tutorials the 'souls way with messages you can ignore and intro sequences you can skip...

But if its your first play through you would not skip any of it or you are not going to know what to do, so...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DaVillain  Moderator
@geraltofwar said:

@davillain-: thats not who it is.

Yeah I thought he was from the tattoos lol.