God of War receives 10 Bafta nominations, more than Red Dead Redemption 2. Can we admit it's the better game?

• 110 results
ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

The game is simply winning everything. Pretentious awards, awards from peers in the development community, from the same people that gave your favourite game an award you name it. Combat is not DMC5 masterful or hack and slash anymore but is better then this shit. Its way better then most western shit. Its actually fun. Most of you haters have to move your goal post pretending you only like cinematics when it suits you or if there is 100 hours of shitty gameplay.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#102 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

@rzxv04: Gow is completely different than dmc5. skill ceiling on that game is way too high compared to gow since the game seem mostly about "style" than pure efficiency. GoW normal was harder than dmc 5 son of sparda though for some arbitrary difficulty comparison.

I give props to rdr2 graphics and presentation but I wish I was more attracted to the old west theme. Some of the checkpoints are ridiculuous, maybe as bad as base console metro exodus. They hide the "loads" by too much traversal ala god of war.

Fair enough. As I said I don't have DMC5, Im in a rare broke spell since January, and the next game I buy will be Sekiro.

I always figured its the setting and the way R* tries to make it as true to it as possible that turns off many of todays gamers with RDR2. Life simply was slower and there was no technology distractions like they can fill in GTA with. So they put in what was. Hunting, fishing, surviving, traveling, saloons, card games etc. I grew up on great western movies like Outlaw Josey Wales, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Jeremiah Johnson, the Long Riders among a plethora of others so for me RDR2 is me finally getting to live that life and I love it.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#103 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Critical awards doesn't mean shit. Everyone knows this.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#104 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

yea RDR2 is a masterpiece and GoW is just 'pretty good' imo.

I think people are stuck on the idea that games need to be pure fun in the traditional sense. RDR2 is insanely compelling but its not really fun in the usual gleeful video game way. Its about experiencing life at a certain time period while getting to know some excellent characters, and experiencing the growth of one character in particular. It puts immersion above all else and I really appreciate that.

the game certainly isn't perfect - some sections of the story could have been cut, some aspects of the control aren't ideal but you get used to it.

I think RDR2 being one of the biggest/most expensive launches of the gen, while going in a more hardcore/niche direction, is a sign the industry is maturing (at least some parts of it)

GoW is a solid action game with incredible production values and a mostly effective story. its more accessible so i'm not all that surprised it got more support at different sites for GOTY. I also wonder if that 100-hour work week line gave righteous game journos a reason to not award RDR2.

GoW for me is borderline top-5 of the year contender. RDR2 is a top 5 of all time contender.

DonaId

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 DonaId
Member since 2012 • 96 Posts

@with_teeth26: cool I play games to have fun not take a history class.

Oh and RDR2 is not even historically accurate entirely

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#106 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts
@DonaId said:

@with_teeth26: cool I play games to have fun not take a history class.

Oh and RDR2 is not even historically accurate entirely

and thats fine. its a bit of a niche game so it won't appeal to everyone but for those it does appeal to (such as myself) its a pretty special experience.

and it takes place in a fictional setting so I don't think its really going for total historical accuracy... more trying to capture the tone/feel of the time period and setting

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#107 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58643 Posts

My opinions depends on others.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#108 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Both are equally amazing games, but for completly different reasons.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#109 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

The best thing about god of war is it's astonishing art design , gameplay and narrative didn't impress me that much

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#110 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@rzxv04: Gow is completely different than dmc5. skill ceiling on that game is way too high compared to gow since the game seem mostly about "style" than pure efficiency. GoW normal was harder than dmc 5 son of sparda though for some arbitrary difficulty comparison.

I give props to rdr2 graphics and presentation but I wish I was more attracted to the old west theme. Some of the checkpoints are ridiculuous, maybe as bad as base console metro exodus. They hide the "loads" by too much traversal ala god of war.

Fair enough. As I said I don't have DMC5, Im in a rare broke spell since January, and the next game I buy will be Sekiro.

I always figured its the setting and the way R* tries to make it as true to it as possible that turns off many of todays gamers with RDR2. Life simply was slower and there was no technology distractions like they can fill in GTA with. So they put in what was. Hunting, fishing, surviving, traveling, saloons, card games etc. I grew up on great western movies like Outlaw Josey Wales, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Jeremiah Johnson, the Long Riders among a plethora of others so for me RDR2 is me finally getting to live that life and I love it.

And that is cool that R gave us RDR2. Decent break from GTA modern flavor.

It's cool. DMC5 will probably have a super cheap, all dlc release anyway. Maybe you'll be able to mess with that but yeah, it ain't for everybody so it's cool even if you ignore that release.

Looking forward to Sekiro.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#111 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

to those who might be interested, god of war wins gdc

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/god-of-war-wins-game-of-the-year-at-gdc-awards/1100-6465743/