God of War receives 10 Bafta nominations, more than Red Dead Redemption 2. Can we admit it's the better game?

• 110 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#1 Posted by SolidGame_basic (24043 posts) -

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2019/mar/14/bafta-games-awards-2019-nominations

Woot, this game just keeps rocking, and deservedly so. What do think of the nominations, SW? Is it time to admit that God of War was the real deal of 2018? Better than Red Dead Redemption 2?

#2 Posted by jeezers (2672 posts) -

Gow wasnt even in my top 5 so no I disagree

#3 Edited by KBFloYd (21753 posts) -

meh sales speak louder than words.

the vocal minority at it again.

#4 Posted by freedomfreak (51145 posts) -

They're just awards, unless you're just being cheeky.

But I prefer it over RDR2.

#5 Edited by I_P_Daily (11438 posts) -

Whats a bafta?

The only thing we can admit is you're a terrible OP.

#6 Posted by sakaiXx (5316 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption 2 is really tedious. I just dont understand how can anyone play this game for a long time, everything takes too long. I quit the game at chapter 3.

#7 Edited by Gamerno6666 (6682 posts) -

Hell no. RDR2 is clearly the better game.

#8 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9597 posts) -

DMC5 is better than GOW.

if its getting awards and recognization among mainstream media. it means it worse of 2.

#9 Posted by Random_Matt (3955 posts) -

When has a rockstar game ever been good? SA was the last half decent one, that's it.

#10 Edited by Son-Goku7523 (623 posts) -
@ghosts4ever said:

DMC5 is better than GOW.

if its getting awards and recognization among mainstream media. it means it worse of 2.

lolno.

@Random_Matt said:

When has a rockstar game ever been good? SA was the last half decent one, that's it.

Exactly my thoughts. RDR2 is overhyped trash, it's only now that people are realizing it. It's nice to see it get rekt by GOW when it comes to GOTY wins and awards, GOW is definitely the better game.

I bought the game based on hype and was thoroughly disappointed by the snoozefest. Last time I blindly go out to buy a Rockstar game.

#12 Posted by Subspecies (326 posts) -

This thread is a salty fanboy magnet: observe above (mostly).

#13 Edited by sealionact (3800 posts) -
@SolidGame_basic said:

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2019/mar/14/bafta-games-awards-2019-nominations

Woot, this game just keeps rocking, and deservedly so. What do think of the nominations, SW? Is it time to admit that God of War was the real deal of 2018? Better than Red Dead Redemption 2?

It had more nominations for an award, maybe you should at least wait to see which game wins the Bafta awards and then decide how winning a Bafta award makes it a better game versus being a game that won a Bafta award.

Also, people still preferred RDR2 going by sales.

#14 Posted by I_P_Daily (11438 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:

Whats a bafta?

The only thing we can admit is you're a terrible OP.

Oh shit I just looked up what bafta meant and its British Academy of Film and Television Arts, how appropriate that GoW has most nominations lol.

#15 Posted by Vaidream45 (1850 posts) -

I wouldn’t say “better”. Both are good games with completely different styles of gameplay.

#16 Posted by npiet1 (2097 posts) -

Gow has better story. Rd has better gameplay overall.

#17 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6682 posts) -

@npiet1 said:

Its the opposite for me.

#18 Posted by dimebag667 (1208 posts) -

I didn't like either of them

#19 Posted by warmblur (2168 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:

DMC5 is better than GOW.

Couldn't agree more GOW is a good game but overrated I think the game got so much love with some people because the father and son relationship of the characters for me I could give two shits about it.

#20 Posted by SecretPolice (35108 posts) -

More commonly known as... Batshit crazy bafta... lololol

:P

#21 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5072 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic:

Both games are significantly different. So, no. You can't really say which is better since both games were headed completely different directions. I personally prefer Red Dead Redemption 2, as well.

#22 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9597 posts) -

@son-goku7523 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

DMC5 is better than GOW.

lolno.

DMC5 is actually a proper game. proper hack n slash action game. GOW is cinematic movie game. thus DMC5 is far and away better.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#23 Edited by SolidGame_basic (24043 posts) -
@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:

DMC5 is better than GOW.

Couldn't agree more GOW is a good game but overrated I think the game got so much love with some people because the father and son relationship of the characters for me I could give two shits about it.

I love DMC5, really amazing hack n slash. But GOW is a game that's better than the sum of its parts. It has more to offer than just the core gameplay. It really is a well done game.

#24 Posted by phbz (4331 posts) -

If DMC5 was a Sony game it would have a MC score of 101/100.

#25 Edited by lamprey263 (36052 posts) -

I likd RDR2 overall but in end didn't feel it had me thinking it deserves a great degree of praise, it managed to suck up a lot of my time and is hard to put down but nothing really blows my hair back about it. Haven't played God of War yet but not hard to imagine it is a better game.

#26 Posted by TheEroica (18388 posts) -

I feel completely different playing both games... I enjoy both greatly. God of War has a more action based approach which suits my taste more, but red dead nails its setting and tone... Story was very satisfying and offered lots to do. They're both really great.

#27 Posted by AJStyles (739 posts) -

God of war is epic.

RDR2 was more of the same with added chores. The whole game is designed to be a chore.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#28 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4355 posts) -

I'm not buying RDR2 until I'm sure if I know it's coming to PC or not, so GOW wins by default for me.

#29 Posted by MonsieurX (38996 posts) -

Awards are meaningless

#30 Posted by knight-k (2600 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

Awards are meaningless

Keep on coping lemming.

Enjoy your crackflop 3 and stop being butthurt about PS4 exclusives getting 90+ scores, GOTY and other awards.

#31 Posted by MonsieurX (38996 posts) -

@knight-k said:
@MonsieurX said:

Awards are meaningless

Keep on coping lemming.

Enjoy your crackflop 3 and stop being butthurt about PS4 exclusives getting 90+ scores, GOTY and other awards.

Keep calling anyone that doesn't agree with your views lemming

#32 Posted by knight-k (2600 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:
@knight-k said:
@MonsieurX said:

Awards are meaningless

Keep on coping lemming.

HAHAHAHAHA! What are you else?

Lemming or not, you're a fanboy and anti-playstation advocate. Time to look in the mirror fanboy.

#33 Posted by MonsieurX (38996 posts) -

@knight-k said:
@MonsieurX said:
@knight-k said:
@MonsieurX said:

Awards are meaningless

Keep on coping lemming.

Lemming or not, you're a fanboy and anti-playstation advocate. Time to look in the mirror fanboy.

Sweet irony

#34 Posted by sts106mat (24873 posts) -

RDR2 is the better game. nominations for awards or not

#35 Posted by knight-k (2600 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:
@knight-k said:
@MonsieurX said:
@knight-k said:
@MonsieurX said:

Awards are meaningless

Keep on coping lemming.

Sweet irony

What? I'm no coward like you and deny the fact I'm a PS fan.

I remember how you desperately try to defend crackflop 3 in the hype thread.

You're not fooling anyone lemming

#36 Posted by Random_Matt (3955 posts) -
@ghosts4ever said:
@son-goku7523 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

DMC5 is better than GOW.

lolno.

DMC5 is actually a proper game. proper hack n slash action game. GOW is cinematic movie game. thus DMC5 is far and away better.

DMC5 has plenty of cutscenes. Let's all be straight here, if it was a Sony exclusive, you and everyone else would be calling it a movie game.

#37 Edited by Zero_epyon (13139 posts) -

Having played both, I can honestly say, I'm really torn between the two. But I think RDR2 has an edge.

#38 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6682 posts) -

I forgot RDR2 online exists. So taking the game as a whole? GOW wins easily.

#39 Edited by uninspiredcup (32821 posts) -

The Baftas are pretentious nonsense. Even the VGA's are better and that's Dorito Pope prostituting his soul.

#41 Posted by zassimick (10457 posts) -

I didn't enjoy either game on an immense level. There were highlights in both that were incredible. Both had numerous missteps. and I was left just thinking they were both good by the end of it.

I preferred RDR2. God of War almost seemed more proof-of-concept to me.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#42 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (28861 posts) -

I haven't play RDR2 but yes GOW is the better game.

Simply because the controls have to be better than rockstar controls.

#43 Posted by Chutebox (44493 posts) -

Dont care about awards, but GoW all the way

#44 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9730 posts) -

I thought GoW was the better game, but I also really didn't like RDR2 all that much. Monster Hunter World, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Spider Man, Smash Bros, Dragon Ball Fighter Z, Forza Horizon 4, and Octopath Traveler were all better than RDR2 imo, so to me it's not surprising at all to see GoW get more GotY awards than RDR2. I personally would have given it to GoW.

#45 Edited by ellos (1999 posts) -

@npiet1 said:

The other way around. RDR2 has the worst gameplay, I think that revelation has been its problem.

#46 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1406 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:
@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:

DMC5 is better than GOW.

I love DMC5, really amazing hack n slash. But GOW is a game that's better than the sum of its parts. It has more to offer than just the core gameplay. It really is a well done game.

Like the tedious, repetitive axe puzzles? God of War sucked. The pretentious, depressing walk and talk story that killed what the series was trying to be isn't even very good. I liked the original trilogy. Never finished the reboot.

But I also quit RDR2, much sooner than God of War, mostly because of the abysmal aiming and otherwise mediocre controls.

#47 Posted by Daredevils2k (2011 posts) -

I'm just glad that I was able to play both of these fine games. I would say that if i went xb1 instead of the ps4 , man life would of sucked for me.

#48 Posted by k--m--k (2792 posts) -

Both are equally great games. It just depends on you.

#49 Posted by Epak_ (10642 posts) -

@sakaixx said:

Red Dead Redemption 2 is really tedious. I just dont understand how can anyone play this game for a long time, everything takes too long. I quit the game at chapter 3.

Yeah, better not have ADHD if you plan on playing this game.

#50 Edited by cainetao11 (36500 posts) -

If you like it better that’s fine. It’s as close as it gets to me as @k-m-k said perfectly.

It’s not better imo but RDR2 isn’t a run away to me either. It’s a game with an audience that doesn’t need in your face ACTION!!!! EXPLOSIONS!!!!! ZOMG!!! Pace which fits the westerns I grew up on.

I lol because until these two games metacritic held so much weight. Now it’s nominations and goty numbers won lol