God Of War Ragnarok Director Would Love A Shot At Castlevania.

• 143 results
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Been saying this since 2018, Castlevania in a GoW reboot style would be amazing. Now it looks like the game director of Ragnarok wants this to happen😁I really hope this goes through because not only is it perfectly fitting for the franchise, but we need a new Castlevania game already.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

God of War Ragnarok has only been out for a few weeks, but game director Eric Williams is already angling for a new IP to tackle. In a recent interview with Kinda Funny, Williams said that he wants to make a Castlevania game, and he told fans to lobby Konami to license the IP.

"I don't know what I'm doing next, but if somebody gives me that Castlevania license, we'd love to make that," Williams said. Though it seems that Williams was joking to some extent, his enthusiasm for the Castlevania series is clear in the interview. At one point, he says that he's going to "get in so much trouble" for these comments. However, he further states that he wants to use Kinda Funny's platform to get the word out.

The last mainline Castlevania game, Lords of Shadow 2, came out in 2014. Though it might seem like a long-shot, Konami has shown a recent willingness to create new games rather than license its IPs for gambling. We saw that in the company's lengthy Silent Hill event earlier this year, when they announced several new projects in the works, including a long-rumored Silent Hill 2 remake.

As usual, however, Konami is licensing the development of these projects out to proven developers, so it's possible that Sony could pick up the Castlevania license at some point. In a recent interview with the LA Times, Williams said that Sony Santa Monica Studio is currently working on a number of different projects, so it's not clear what the studio's next game will be. Regardless, if you have questions about what the heck happened in Ragnarok, check out our spoiler-iffic interview with Williams.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

How is this at all "perfectly fitting for the franchise"? If you really think we need a new CV game, why would you want something that isn't even remotely CV?

LoS was already discount Greek GoW, and it sucked. CV in Dad of War style though? Would just be a rando game in a CV skin for no reason.

Hopefully if this guy does get a crack at CV, he doesn't go that route.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hardwenzen

@ConanTheStoner said:

How is this at all "perfectly fitting for the franchise"? If you really think we need a new CV game, why would you want something that isn't even remotely CV?

LoS was already discount Greek GoW, and it sucked. CV in Dad of War style though? Would just be a rando game in a CV skin for no reason.

Because i always saw 3D castlevania titles very similar to gow. If the reboot worked for gow, and they give castlevania a similar treatment, its guaranteed to work. You give it a good story, more rpg mechanics, maybe bigger maps with more secrets to uncover, and i simply don't see it doing poorly. In fact, because Santa Monica devs knows what's up, i even see Castlevania returning to its glory days IF they go through with this reboot.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

No thank you.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hardwenzen

@fedor said:

No thank you.

Why not?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

No thanks, we don’t want more boring handholding talk way too much movie games. Keep that trash with Sonys junk.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

3D Castlevania was already perfected by the God of gaming, Hideo Kojima.

I just don't see the point of mortal man trying to do it and risk fucking up the series.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12951 Posts

Perfect shovelware for PS+

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8854 Posts

@hardwenzen: I don't think Konami would go for it - they still make games. But, it would be interesting if they did.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hardwenzen

@mesome713 said:

No thanks, we don’t want more boring handholding talk way to movie games. Keep that trash with Sonys junk.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mesome713

@hardwenzen: Man that sucks, your boring handholding movie game got outsold by a low effort kids game.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hardwenzen

@dabear said:

@hardwenzen: I don't think Konami would go for it - they still make games. But, it would be interesting if they did.

Konami is incapable of rebooting the series and putting it back on the map. Santa Monica hasn't only demonstrated to us that they mananged to properly reboot gow, but they've even improved it greatly in the sequel. Since the gameplay style is very similar in both, they're the perfect dev to do the job.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hardwenzen

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: Man that sucks, your boring handholding movie game got outsold by a low effort kids game.

Your system has trouble running video games that are made for it. What a disaster.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mesome713

@hardwenzen: Yeah, we just can’t stop breaking records though, it’s a hard life.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

This is a TERRIBLE idea.

CastleVania should move away from RPG elements, not embrace them. Castlevania is all about encounter design. It does not match what people liked about GoW at all.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hardwenzen

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: Yeah, we just can’t stop breaking records though, it’s a hard life.

Like the cigarette companies every year🤡Be proud.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Maroxad
@girlusocrazy said:

That would be interesting to see. The best 3D Castlevania is already Bloodborne, though it's not official. But I'm always interested in more Castlevania.

I actually wouldnt mind seeing a Miyazaki CV game. Souls games, in many ways captured the spirit of CastleVania.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hardwenzen
@Maroxad said:

This is a TERRIBLE idea.

CastleVania should move away from RPG elements, not embrace them. Castlevania is all about encounter design. It does not match what people liked about GoW at all.

I bet you were saying just that before gow2018 came out, cuz i sure as hell remember reading a ton of comments like what you've just left.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Maroxad

@hardwenzen said:
@Maroxad said:

This is a TERRIBLE idea.

I bet you were saying just that before gow2018 came out, cuz i sure as hell remember reading a ton of comments like what you've just left.

Considering that ClassicVanias are better than IgaVanias.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

Because i always saw 3D castlevania titles very similar to gow. If the reboot worked for gow, and they give castlevania a similar treatment, its guaranteed to work. You give it a good story, more rpg mechanics, maybe bigger maps with more secrets to uncover, and i simply don't see it doing poorly. In fact, because Santa Monica devs knows what's up, i even see Castlevania returning to its glory days IF they go through with this reboot.

Ewwwww

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hardwenzen

@pc_rocks said:
@hardwenzen said:

Ewwwww

Stop ewwwwing around. We both know that Santa Monica is perfect for the job.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@hardwenzen: castlevania is a 2d metroidvania. So he wants to convert it to 3d to movie game? He'll no, he needs to keep his dirty hands off castlevania.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hardwenzen

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@hardwenzen: castlevania is a 2d metroidvania. So he wants to convert it to 3d to movie game? He'll no, he needs to keep his dirty hands off castlevania.

Firstly, they have already released multiple cv games in 3d, so you gotta get out of the rock you're living under. Secondly, do you think they want to release a game that sells ~1M or 8M+? A proper reboot in 3D is what this game needs.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12951 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

As long as there's lots of soapy, wimpy emotional dialogue with all the characters, tons of walking and talking, and loads of cutscenes, Im on board!

Exactly what Castlevania needs. The god of wimps treatment.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blaznwiipspman1

@hardwenzen: I have never heard of a 3d castlevania before, and if it does exist then that's not a good sign.

Also those 2d gba castlevania games and the ports to the ds and 3ds were fantastic and sold really well. They actually ported these games to pretty much every system, you can play them on the switch, on steam, wherever. Konami did put out a crappy castlrvania on the 3ds, it was one that turned me off the series. Something mirrors or whatever.

Bottom line. There's no need to go full 3d for everything. A modernized 2d version would sell really well.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 poe13

@blaznwiipspman1: There's no need to put lots of uncharted walking and talking segments, parts where you don't play as Kratos, tons of long cutscenes, and making every character a wimp in the new God of War Ragnarok but that didn't stop this guy from doing it. Maybe he can do the same to Castlevania and get all the critics to love a supposed new entry and put it at 94 on metacritic and then we can do this stupid rigamorole where we have idiots all claim "THIS NEW CASTLEVANIA IS THE BEST CASTLEVANIA" again like God of War. That'll be fun.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

I stop caring for Castlevania ages ago and whatever happens to this franchise at the hands of Santa Monica isn't my concern.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blaznwiipspman1

@kvallyx: yes, it might not be too bad, but I'd prefer they stuck to the formula.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@poe13: ooff, just imagine they did that to castlevania. What a terrible thought. Long drawn out walking segments, qte and movie cinematic lol.

The only studio that would make sense to do a castlevania 3d conversion is 343i. I'm saying this because these guys don't know how to write a story to save their life. Its been 20 years, and i still dont know what the halo world is about. They tried making halo a movie game and failed spectacularly and thats a good thing. Get 343 to make casflevania, it would be in good hands. They could probably make a half decent story line, but it's impossible to step into movie territory for them.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By hardwenzen
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@kvallyx: yes, it might not be too bad, but I'd prefer they stuck to the formula.

How's that formula doing for them in 2022?

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 blaznwiipspman1

@hardwenzen: you don't know much about Konami, but these guys main business isn't video games anymore. They sell boat loads of yugioh trading cards, host tournaments and so on. I also hear they operate a profitable gambling business. The Konami of 2022 doesn't need to sell video games. Sad but true.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@hardwenzen: but if anyone was going to make a castlevania game, it should be 343i. They would make a fantastic 3d castlevania without all the movie game cinematic. Id software could do a pretty decent job of it too, because alot of the art palette and story background is similar.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 poe13

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@poe13: ooff, just imagine they did that to castlevania. What a terrible thought. Long drawn out walking segments, qte and movie cinematic lol.

The only studio that would make sense to do a castlevania 3d conversion is 343i. I'm saying this because these guys don't know how to write a story to save their life. Its been 20 years, and i still dont know what the halo world is about. They tried making halo a movie game and failed spectacularly and thats a good thing. Get 343 to make casflevania, it would be in good hands. They could probably make a half decent story line, but it's impossible to step into movie territory for them.

I would love it if almost no studio tried to make a movie game anymore for quite a while. I want to play my games, thank you.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hardwenzen

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@hardwenzen: but if anyone was going to make a castlevania game, it should be 343i. They would make a fantastic 3d castlevania without all the movie game cinematic. Id software could do a pretty decent job of it too, because alot of the art palette and story background is similar.

Avatar image for clockworkbanana
ClockWorkBanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ClockWorkBanana
Member since 2022 • 254 Posts

We already got two GoW Castlevanias they were mediocre, just like GoW.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hardwenzen

@clockworkbanana said:

We already got two GoW Castlevanias they were mediocre, just like GoW.

The quality wasn't anywhere near on par with the current gow.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

@mesome713 said:

No thanks, we don’t want more boring handholding talk way too much movie games. Keep that trash with Sonys junk.

Loading Video...

Lems should hold a Protest against this movie game coming to the xbsex

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dabear

@hardwenzen: 3xcept that would mean Castlevania would be a Playstation exclusive. Maybe they wouldn't want that.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dabear

@daredevils2k: Outside of seeing what it looks like and curiosity of its metacritic score, I have no interest in Hellblade II.

I quit and uninstalled the first one after playing it for 2 hours... or, I should say "watching it" while occasionally pressing "Y".

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

I honestly think GameFreak would be a better fit. They actually got the talent to not make movie games. I always felt like Castlevania and Pokemon shared a lot of similarities, so it makes sense.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hardwenzen
@dabear said:

@hardwenzen: 3xcept that would mean Castlevania would be a Playstation exclusive. Maybe they wouldn't want that.

Why does it matter? Right now, its not a exclusive and there's no Castlevanias at all. Them being able to sell to us, Sony Professionals is not a bad idea. See that clip? The woman is Xbox and the guy is Playstation. We destroy you.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

Ragnarok was boring as shit and emo. Let's hope he doesn't get the chance.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8208 Posts

Ruined God Of War now they want to ruin Castlevania and make it movie game.

Lord have mercy

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#47  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

If they brought Castlevania back I def wouldn't want some God War style game again.

From what I played enjoyed Bloodlines the most by a wide margin.

So yea, not gonna happen, but a lower budget 2D game like that would be nice. And not the Metroidvania stuff, don't like that much either.

Instead, gotta make it all "le cinematic", bring it back probably will be like Phony games with forced walking and shit.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11086 Posts

@mesome713 said:

The game can't stop breaking it's frame rate

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

LOL. Nooo, please no. Wtf.

We don't need every game to be like God of War. Some people like controlling their games and can get slightly bored by hours of watching, walking, talking.

No idea why you shill fucking GoW dude. You do like some good shit, so why would you..? Probably to uphold your Sony fanboy image.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1237 Posts

If it's anything like Dad of War no thank you.

A more open Fallen Order with better combat is probably what it should be