God of War may be good, but how does it compare to The Witcher 3?

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

For most people on this board The Witcher 3 is their GOTG (Game of the Generation). It's what most would agree is the new bar and water mark for AAA games to be judged by today.

God of War has gotten some high praise, but before it's release it would be interesting to see how it compares to the bar setting The Witcher 3 in terms of quality and impact.

I've found Impressions from an independent reviewers who have played both games. *And this is by no means a final verdict, just a non system war opinion of people who've actually played both titles *

These guys give a separate conclusion on the level of the quality and overall impact of both TW3 and GoD of war but not directly. it's interesting how they compare knowing they weren't trying to compare them against each other like we do here on system wars.

Here is what it comes

Video Start's at mark 1:20, Watch to mark 1:40 see their impression of TW3.

Spoiler

"The Witcher 3, was just a F*cking masterpiece. It was one of the best games ever made unquestionably. Both in terms of a piece of art but also commercially"

Now here is their impression of God of War, how do you think it compares?

Video starts at mark 4:55, watch to mark 6:20...

Very interesting.

Thoughts?

Creepywelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Creepywelps
Member since 2015 • 2964 Posts

Nobody here can answer that yet.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

God of War 4 isn't out until April 20, nobody can't even answer that question now. When I finally play the game this Friday, I'll comeback and let you know and this is coming form a guy who loves Witcher 3 but I'm not expecting God of War 4 to be on par with Witcher 3.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

I’ll let you know after I’m done playing it.

Lilseb93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lilseb93
Member since 2015 • 392 Posts

I haven't played it yet. I'll let you know.

JosiahNguyen40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JosiahNguyen40
Member since 2017 • 6 Posts

God of war is a classic. I've been a fans since they first started the series. It's a hard series to beat.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Don't know if it can beat TW3, but I'm sure as hell excited for it.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

Completely different types of games. Why bother comparing? I know GOW has some light rpg elements but it stays a hack and slash at its core.... The witcher may be one of the best RPGs of the gen, but it sure as hell isn't the best hack and slash game.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

@verbalfilth said:

Completely different types of games. Why bother comparing? I know GOW has some light rpg elements but it stays a hack and slash at its core.... The witcher may be one of the best RPGs of the gen, but it sure as hell isn't the best hack and slash game.

Exactly- they are completely different genres: God of War has always been an Action-Adventure hack-and slash game and the Witcher 3 is an open world action RPG.

A proper comparison would have between the Witcher 3 and Skyrim or the Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

why would any one compare an open world game to one that is not is beyond me . Its like comparing a Ford Model T to a 2018 Aston Martin.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rafaelmsoares
Member since 2018 • 657 Posts

It doesn't they share almost nothing in common to be compared.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

How would you compare a console that has both to one that doesn't?

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Witcher 3 got extremely boring. I kept getting hooked on Gwent which seemed more fun than the actual game. Maybe I should give it another shot.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

Ask this question in the next several days from now. It is too premature.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

Witcher 3 got extremely boring. I kept getting hooked on Gwent which seemed more fun than the actual game. Maybe I should give it another shot.

Dude, I hate that game but it pisses me off because I feel like I may be missing out on a lot of the rewards that may come with playing it. I only played once so I'm really in no position to judge. Have you ever got any good loot or weapons playing Gwent?

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@valgaav_219: No? I didn't know that was possible. I just like winning other people's high value cards. Maybe you do get something from winning besides that... It's been so long I can't remember.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@quadknight said:

I’ll let you know after I’m done playing it.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tgob89

@mighty-lu-bu said:
@verbalfilth said:

Exactly- they are completely different genres: God of War has always been an Action-Adventure hack-and slash game and the Witcher 3 is an open world action RPG.

A proper comparison would have between the Witcher 3 and Skyrim or the Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Uhh obviously, because those games are not new games coming out now?

What don't you understand about my OP?

As stated in the original post, The Witcher 3 is considered the best game this generation by the majority here on this forum and the bar by which all new high rated games are judged against.

For everyone else who seems to have a problem comprehending the comparison here, I am not comparing the TYPE of game but the QUALITY and IMPACT vs The Witcher which seems to be the measuring bar by which so many swear by.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

Actually it's not very hard to beat Witcher 3 as it's an awful rpg. It's a GTA in a fantasy world, this is what Witcher 3 basically is. As an RPG is absolutely mediocre. If not for its elaborate story, I would never consider it to be a good game. Basically the whole gameplay of Witcher 3 is about basic combat, boring witcher senses and a great story.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

what's the point of this?

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tgob89

@ivangrozny said:

Actually it's very hard to beat Witcher 3 as it's an awful rpg. It's a GTA in a fantasy world, this is what Witcher 3 basically is. As an RPG is absolutely mediocre. If not for its elaborate story, I would never consider it to be a good game.

Well your (and my) opinion seem to be in the minority.

As a game, TW3 misses several marks for me and usually the redeeming aspect of games I don't generally like is usually the gameplay. But because TW3's gameplay was a dud for me, there wasn't much I could take away from the game because the story did not grip me like so many others.

But the fact that so many other do love the game, that fact can not be dismissed because, ya know opinions.

I respect TW3 for giving so many other gamers the most enjoyment they've had with any other game this gen even if it was mostly due to it's story and lore.

That said, If there are other people who like/love the witcher like so many others here, then it's interesting to see how those received God of War after the fact.

Dr_Vancouver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dr_Vancouver
Member since 2017 • 1046 Posts

I know my critique of tW3 isn't always popular opinion, but to think "most people on this board" consider it "GOTG" is a sad commentary. I personally didn't consider it game of the week. Hell, it wasn't even game of the day- it launched same day as Farming Simulator '15 and an episode of Life is Strange. Sure I'm not saying it's the worst game ever made, but by my standards it's adequate at best. It's pretty enough on a Pro or an X, even better looking still on a very high end gaming PC, but when it's story doesn't interest you at all what you have left is a combat heavy game with combat more shallow than Justin Bieber lyrics. If the new God of War isn't better in any way you can compare the two games, I'll dig out my own eyeballs and stuff them up my own butt.

nomadic8280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nomadic8280
Member since 2017 • 476 Posts

LOL any RPG that RPG nerds hate must mean its actually fun.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11266 Posts

The Witcher 3 GOTG... Good joke. I actually only just bought it on sale recently... I'm only 16 hours in and its a good game for sure but I'm actively trying to like it and see why it won so many GOTY awards and reserved as many 10s as it got. Definitely not the best game of the generation. That is certainly going to MGSV: The Phantom Pain (which would have been GOAT if they actually completed it) So can God of War surpass it? Yes I think so.

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 UNcartMe
Member since 2011 • 725 Posts

Horrible gameplay, mediocre graphics, repetitive quests, horrible optimization, lackluster characters, and a horrible story? Yeah, I think God of War has a high chance of being better. Oh btw 95 metacritic GOW with 90 reviews > 93 witcher 3 on pc master race with 30 reviews.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#26  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@tgob89:

Witcher 3 is an rpg so of course God of War is not going to have as much content. Though I'm sure God of War will have way better combat and platforming.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@tgob89:

Witcher 3 is an rpg so of course God of War is not going to have as much content. Though I'm sure God of War will have way better combat and platforming.

I don't know... the combat in Witcher III is pretty damn solid (hands down the best combat I have ever played in an RPG) and it is buttery smooth.

Hawkeye44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28 Hawkeye44
Member since 2017 • 237 Posts

I dont give 2 toss about lengh. It quality i want and the combat in GOW rips that of Witcher 3 apart.

I put witcher 3 down after 2 hours just because of that shitty comabt.

@UNcartMe:

Lmao, this remind me of that salty user with the witcher avatar that claimed horiozn is not AAA because of it didn't score 90 even though it scored 89 with trolls reviews stopping it from the 90s.

With that logic i Guess GOW, U4, BB all shits on witcher 3 which higher metacritic.

Lmao, salty fanboys and their logic

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Different genres imo and different core experience. Ill play GoW though and ill let you know. Witcher 3 was amazing with decent combat though

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

Do they have a farm building sim in it? If not, they're bad games.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AzatiS

@calvincfb said:

Do they have a farm building sim in it? If not, they're bad games.

Imo they are two different experiences since they cant compete one with another in many different ways. For example someone that is deep into RPG genre will tell you he liked witcher 3 more. Someone fan of the lore and Kratos like i am will tell you Gow.

The thing is to be objective whatever our personal opinions and taste. Aside that though, again, i beleive comparing 2 different genres as which is better is not fair for both games since there are big difference in certain approach, mechanics and in the end overall experience.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Calvincfb

@AzatiS: you didn't get the joke.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Calvincfb

@AzatiS: and for the record, I love both(read previous god of war games here)

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

@tgob89 said:

For most people on this board The Witcher 3 is their GOTG (Game of the Generation). It's what most would agree is the new bar and water mark for AAA games to be judged by today.

God of War has gotten some high praise, but before it's release it would be interesting to see how it compares to the bar setting The Witcher 3 in terms of quality and impact.

I've found Impressions from an independent reviewers who have played both games. *And this is by no means a final verdict, just a non system war opinion of people who've actually played both titles *

These guys give a separate conclusion on the level of the quality and overall impact of both TW3 and GoD of war but not directly. it's interesting how they compare knowing they weren't trying to compare them against each other like we do here on system wars.

Here is what it comes

Video Start's at mark 1:20, Watch to mark 1:40 see their impression of TW3.

Loading Video...

Spoiler

"The Witcher 3, was just a F*cking masterpiece. It was one of the best games ever made unquestionably. Both in terms of a piece of art but also commercially"

Now here is their impression of God of War, how do you think it compares?

Video starts at mark 4:55, watch to mark 6:20...

Loading Video...

Very interesting.

Thoughts?

I haven't played GOW yet, but Witcher 3 gameplay wasn't anything spectacular to me. I have tried to get into this game twice to no avail after about 10 hours of it

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AzatiS

@calvincfb said:

@AzatiS: you didn't get the joke.

Maybe i didnt.

@calvincfb said:

@AzatiS: and for the record, I love both(read previous god of war games here)

Im more into God of war franchise because of the lore how good and precise God of war series represented Greek mythology. It was amazing to play and watch cinematics all way thru very first game to last one ( didnt play the VITA game or something though ). I expect the same with this one, and even more, with nordic mythology.

But aside my personal taste i need to be objective because i had great time with Witcher 3 as well and is one of my favorite games this generation hands down.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#36 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

How are so many people playing it already? :)

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By tgob89

@dr_vancouver said:

I know my critique of tW3 isn't always popular opinion, but to think "most people on this board" consider it "GOTG" is a sad commentary. I personally didn't consider it game of the week. Hell, it wasn't even game of the day- it launched same day as Farming Simulator '15 and an episode of Life is Strange. Sure I'm not saying it's the worst game ever made, but by my standards it's adequate at best. It's pretty enough on a Pro or an X, even better looking still on a very high end gaming PC, but when it's story doesn't interest you at all what you have left is a combat heavy game with combat more shallow than Justin Bieber lyrics. If the new God of War isn't better in any way you can compare the two games, I'll dig out my own eyeballs and stuff them up my own butt.

I actually share the same opinion.

But that's why I found a group for reviewers who share the opinion of most of the gaming community here that TW3 is a great game and possibly one of the best this generation.

If I had used a source that said TW3 was trash and GoW was amazing then I'd be accused of finding Sony fanboys who's opinion isn't valid.

Interesting enough, these guys also say they didn't find TLOU or Uncharted 4 too amazing so they are certainly not Sony fanatics who praise every game.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#38  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Mighty-Lu-Bu:

Buttery smooth? To who? All I saw was sticking and dodging! Even Fable 2 played better than that! Witcher 3 was pretty much Dark Souls.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tgob89

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@tgob89:

What do you mean, "content"?

I didn't say anything about that I said quality and impact.

That said God of War is a 30hr game and they say around 40 to 45 hours if you attempt all the side missions so there is plenty of content if that is a question you wanted to clarify.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@Mighty-Lu-Bu:

Buttery smooth? To who? All I saw was sticking and dodging! Even Fable 2 played better than that! Witcher 3 was pretty much Dark Souls.

The Dark Souls games are some of my favorite action RPGs to date, but the Witcher III does a lot of things better. I would argue that the Souls games have better combat, but everything else I would give to the Witcher III. It has one of the best open worlds of all time, especially from an RPG standpoint, the story is fantastic, the combat is great and the graphics have set the standard for future RGP titles.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tgob89

@verbalfilth said:

No, not really.

Both =

• 3rd person
  • single player
  • open world
  • multi button contextual combat gameplay
  • Strong emphasis on story and narrative
  • crafting and upgrading
  • fantasy setting
  • plot revolving around strong relationships
  • AAA production values
  • cinematic approach to narration
  • enemy types = mythical creatures

lol at "completely different"

The only thing really separating them is the genre they are derived from, but they share more in common than not. It's really quite silly to argue otherwise when it's easy to see the base components of both games are 1 for 1 outside of the world and the characters.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By tgob89
@AzatiS said:

Different genres imo and different core experience. Ill play GoW though and ill let you know. Witcher 3 was amazing with decent combat though

lol I don't need you are any other person from system wars to tell me how it compares because I will play it myself to come to that conclusion.

*This is not specifically aimed at you but for everyone who have made similar responses like yours*

The reason I posted the vid of these outside game journalists opinion was specifically because they are NOT from system wars!

And they have played both TW3 and GoW, so this is an evaluation of NON-SYSTEM WARS opinion of people who have played and loved TW3 and still came away feeling how they did about GoW.

This isn't a thread meant to ask the system wars population what they think of GoW because obviously no one has played the game outside of professional game journalists and reviewers.

This is a response/reaction to their opinion thread.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AzatiS

@tgob89 said:
@AzatiS said:

lol I don't need you are any other person from system wars to tell me how it compares because I will play it myself to come to that conclusion.

*This is not specifically aimed at you but for everyone who have made similar responses like yours*

The reason I posted the vid of these outside game journalists opinion was specifically because they are NOT from system wars!

And they have played both TW3 and GoW, so this is an evaluation of NON-SYSTEM WARS opinion of people who have played and loved TW3 and still came away feeling how they did about GoW.

This isn't a thread meant to ask the system wars population what they think of GoW because obviously no one has played the game outside of professional game journalists and reviewers.

Ok i understand.

Is there any journalist comparing Gow with Witcher 3 ? Just asking

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3347 Posts

I played and barely force myself to finish TW3. I had fun but repetitive quest, huge map and town but non inter active NPC exhaust me. Im sure i will be enjoying GOW more.

Theproof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Theproof
Member since 2018 • 41 Posts

What a dumbass comparison. Who cares? Witcher 3 is overrated trash. This is just more damage control do to GOW's dominance.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tgob89

@AzatiS said:
@tgob89 said:

Ok i understand.

Is there any journalist comparing Gow with Witcher 3 ? Just asking

Directly?

I don't know.

I just found it interesting that these guys played and love TW3, like most of SW population:

And still came away feeling THIS....

Loading Video...

....after playing God of War.

I thought it was a good topic, but it seems like nearly everyone missed the point.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Calvincfb

"TW3 is an overrated trash"

How can I take these people seriously?

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

Geralt has better hair, so TW3 wins

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By tgob89

@theproof said:

What a dumbass comparison. Who cares? Witcher 3 is overrated trash. This is just more damage control do to GOW's dominance.

Damn uhh ok.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Calvincfb

@drlostrib: Kratos has better beard tho.