God of War has a 94 MC and a 9.1 user score after 11,000 reviews - is it the best game of this gen?

  • 106 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

24678

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 24678 Posts

God of War, without a doubt, is one of the best games released this gen. But is it the very best? The game currently sits on metacritic with a 94 overall score after 118 critics, and a 9.1 user score after 11,000 reviews. Mind you, it's also an exclusive.. Usually exclusives get hated on, but this game manages to keep its amazing score. So I ask you, SW? Is God of War the best game of this gen?

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

6497

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6497 Posts

Nintendo fanboys incoming.

P.S - GOW won more goty than BOTW 🤣🤣

Avatar image for phbz
phbz

4774

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By phbz
Member since 2009 • 4774 Posts

Not the best imo but I agree with the high scores. The two filler worlds are not good and the narrative really falls apart during an important part of Atreus story. Any game has stuff that people might be at odds with, with GoW those two really bothered me.

Avatar image for pinkribbonscars
PinkRibbonScars

173

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 PinkRibbonScars
Member since 2019 • 173 Posts

It legit depresses me to see this mediocre game has a higher score than games like Dark Souls

Avatar image for daredevils2k
Daredevils2k

2141

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5 Daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 2141 Posts

Umm , of course it’s the greatest game this gen, followed by HZD.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

32048

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 32048 Posts

I gotta say I was positively surprised by this game. It retained the God of War gameplay I loved while being over the shoulder.

All the gameplay I had seen looked bad, but playing the game changed my mind.

Avatar image for djoffer
djoffer

1573

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1573 Posts

Great game, but not the best imo.. would place both The Witcher 3 and divinity 2 above it, but definitely best exclusive on PlayStation. Also BOTW has 97 metacritic fyi...

Avatar image for Nike_Air
Nike_Air

19416

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19416 Posts

Yes. And I think Gamespot should've of named it GOTY over RDR 2 and given it a 10 imo.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

36357

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 36357 Posts

It's subjective.

You know?

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

28969

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28969 Posts

Personally I think Breath of the Wild is the best game this gen. Closely followed by games like Resident Evil 2 Remake, Devil May Cry 5, and Monster Hunter World.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

36058

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#11 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 36058 Posts

Nope. I enjoyed Horizon more

Avatar image for Litchie
Litchie

24795

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#12 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24795 Posts

Too cinematic for my taste.

Avatar image for vfighter
VFighter

5596

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#13 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5596 Posts

For some yes, for others no. That though is a difficult thing for some to grasp.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

36058

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#14 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 36058 Posts

@vfighter: A statement from you I can agree with. Probably because it sounds like me. 😈

Avatar image for Chutebox
Chutebox

44954

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#15 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 44954 Posts

Tough choice. That, breath, horizon, or souls

Avatar image for jaydan
jaydan

2756

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#16 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2756 Posts

Not even the best PS4 game this gen, that goes to Bloodborne.

Avatar image for howmakewood
Howmakewood

6001

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#17 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 6001 Posts

It's a great game, 2nd best sony exclusive of the gen after bloodborne

Avatar image for oliversnyders
OliverSnyders

173

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#18 OliverSnyders
Member since 2017 • 173 Posts

@SolidGame_basic DMC 5 says hi.

@Nike_Air said:

Yes. And I think Gamespot should've of named it GOTY over RDR 2 and given it a 10 imo.

Loading Video...

This is why RDR2 was GOTY.

Avatar image for ezekiel43
Ezekiel43

2016

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#19 Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 2016 Posts

It's trash. Rather play the old games.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

24678

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#20 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 24678 Posts

@djoffer said:

Great game, but not the best imo.. would place both The Witcher 3 and divinity 2 above it, but definitely best exclusive on PlayStation. Also BOTW has 97 metacritic fyi...

More critics played God of War, and it also a higher user rating.

@vfighter said:

For some yes, for others no. That though is a difficult thing for some to grasp.

Well yea, that's obvious.. the question is, do you think it is. Otherwise there is no point to this forum.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

36058

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 36058 Posts

These discussion always boils down to "My opinion of game A being the best is legit because other opinions agree." LOL

Avatar image for jaydan
jaydan

2756

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2756 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@djoffer said:

Great game, but not the best imo.. would place both The Witcher 3 and divinity 2 above it, but definitely best exclusive on PlayStation. Also BOTW has 97 metacritic fyi...

More critics played God of War, and it also a higher user rating.

So wait, are you telling me the very same rating platform that notoriously allows review-bombs to happen on games, is now a valuable metric? When you play with numbers too much instead of just enjoying a damn game, you'll begin to lose your own sanity.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

24678

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#23 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 24678 Posts

@jaydan said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@djoffer said:

Great game, but not the best imo.. would place both The Witcher 3 and divinity 2 above it, but definitely best exclusive on PlayStation. Also BOTW has 97 metacritic fyi...

More critics played God of War, and it also a higher user rating.

So wait, are you telling me the very same rating platform that notoriously allows review-bombs to happen on games, is now a valuable metric? When you play with numbers too much instead of just enjoying a damn game, you'll begin to lose your own sanity.

Surely if the haters hated the game, they would've bombed it? It's an exclusive after all.

Avatar image for jaydan
jaydan

2756

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#24  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2756 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@jaydan said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@djoffer said:

Great game, but not the best imo.. would place both The Witcher 3 and divinity 2 above it, but definitely best exclusive on PlayStation. Also BOTW has 97 metacritic fyi...

More critics played God of War, and it also a higher user rating.

So wait, are you telling me the very same rating platform that notoriously allows review-bombs to happen on games, is now a valuable metric? When you play with numbers too much instead of just enjoying a damn game, you'll begin to lose your own sanity.

Surely if the haters hated the game, they would've bombed it? It's an exclusive after all.

Bullshit. Review-bombers bomb games they have not even played.

Point being: Metacritic is a proven load of shit, and anyone that posts links there to make a point over their own subjectivity, lost the argument already.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

24678

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#25 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 24678 Posts

@jaydan: so I take it that you're not a fan of the game?

Avatar image for jaydan
jaydan

2756

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#26 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2756 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jaydan: so I take it that you're not a fan of the game?

God of War? The game itself is perfectly fine, albeit not the best PS4 game this gen in my opinion. It does not spare the fact a lot of you here are clamoring to Metashit scores. Metashit only matters when it sides with your own bias.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

36058

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#27 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 36058 Posts

Here is a little nugget of perspective, Minecraft averages 90 million MONTHLY players. Fortnite a game released in 2017 had monthly players hitting 78 million with 8.3 million concurrent. So, when you placing bets on a mere 11,000 user reviews for one game and ignoring what the bulk of players are actually "enjoying" things look dramatically different.

Avatar image for jaydan
jaydan

2756

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#28 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2756 Posts

@Pedro said:

Here is a little nugget of perspective, Minecraft averages 90 million MONTHLY players. Fortnite a game released in 2017 had monthly players hitting 78 million with 8.3 million concurrent. So, when you placing bets on a mere 11,000 user reviews for one game and ignoring what the bulk of players are actually "enjoying" things look dramatically different.

Sales only matter to the corporate big-wigs, so why do the consumers care so much when they have no effect on them?

Corporate wigs never care about quality, they only care about making money.

Justin Bieber's managers did not care that he was a piece of shit and so was his music, he made them money.

Making money does not mean quality. It means corporations can laugh over how they're taking your money.

Avatar image for Oemenia
Oemenia

10391

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#29 Oemenia
Member since 2003 • 10391 Posts

Well if the reviewers played BotW first, then the MC would be 20 points less!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

24678

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#30 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 24678 Posts

@jaydan said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

@jaydan: so I take it that you're not a fan of the game?

God of War? The game itself is perfectly fine, albeit not the best PS4 game this gen in my opinion. It does not spare the fact a lot of you here are clamoring to Metashit scores. Metashit only matters when it sides with your own bias.

Good for you. I wouldn't disregard the millions of people who bought it, and the rave reviews and GOTY awards it's received. But that's the question - does SW think it's the best of this gen? You clearly don't think so, and that's totally fine.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

13733

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

#31 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 13733 Posts

Forza horizon 4, Rdr 2, zelda breath of the wild, the Witcher 3 all disagree.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

36058

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#33 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 36058 Posts

@jaydan said:

Sales only matter to the corporate big-wigs, so why do the consumers care so much when they have no effect on them?

Corporate wigs never care about quality, they only care about making money.

Justin Bieber's managers did not care that he was a piece of shit and so was his music, he made them money.

Making money does not mean quality. It means corporations can laugh over how they're taking your money.

I wasn't discussing sales. I was stating what a large chunk of gamers play. One of the two games mentioned is a free to play. It seems to me that you missed the overall point.

Avatar image for jaydan
jaydan

2756

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#34 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2756 Posts

@Pedro said:
@jaydan said:

Sales only matter to the corporate big-wigs, so why do the consumers care so much when they have no effect on them?

Corporate wigs never care about quality, they only care about making money.

Justin Bieber's managers did not care that he was a piece of shit and so was his music, he made them money.

Making money does not mean quality. It means corporations can laugh over how they're taking your money.

I wasn't discussing sales. I was stating what a large chunk of gamers play. One of the two games mentioned is a free to play. It seems to me that you missed the overall point.

I might have, my bad. But I see what you mean now.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

36058

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#35 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 36058 Posts

@jaydan: No stress. I just find it odd that the OP mentions the number of user reviews as a metric of worth and if that same logic was applied to other games this game would be so far down the totem pole.

Avatar image for jaydan
jaydan

2756

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#36 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2756 Posts

@Pedro said:

@jaydan: No stress. I just find it odd that the OP mentions the number of user reviews as a metric of worth and if that same logic was applied to other games this game would be so far down the totem pole.

We both question the same thing but for different reasons.

My question is why use Metacritic when it is long-proven to be unstable - why use a rating site that ALLOWS smear campaigns against or for games in the form of review-bombing?

Of course we can make our own threads posting links to Metacritic as long as it suits our own bias, and more people will say how shit the aggregator actually is.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

24678

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#37 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 24678 Posts

@jaydan said:
@Pedro said:

@jaydan: No stress. I just find it odd that the OP mentions the number of user reviews as a metric of worth and if that same logic was applied to other games this game would be so far down the totem pole.

We both question the same thing but for different reasons.

My question is why use Metacritic when it is long-proven to be unstable - why use a rating site that ALLOWS smear campaigns against or for games in the form of review-bombing?

Of course we can make our own threads posting links to Metacritic as long as it suits our own bias, and more people will say how shit the aggregator actually is.

So if millions of people like the Mona Lisa, but you don't - that's the same as no one liking it or knowing it existed?

Avatar image for with_teeth26
with_teeth26

9752

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#38 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 9752 Posts

nah its a quality game, but quite a few I enjoyed a lot more this gen.

Witcher 3/RDR2 are my personal favorites but there are others i'd place above GoW as well

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

36058

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#39 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 36058 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

So if millions of people like the Mona Lisa, but you don't - that's the same as no one liking it or knowing it existed?

If over 80 -240million more people like and play PUBG, Fortnite and Minecraft does that mean this God of War cannot be the best game this gen?

Avatar image for KBFloYd
KBFloYd

22016

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#40 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22016 Posts

single player? maybe.

zelda breath of the wild ive put 80 hours in. my most played single player game this gen.

splatoon 2 - 600 hours

paladins - 500 hours

overwatch 100 hours

so umm... not my fav game this gen. but arguably the best single player game.

Avatar image for jaydan
jaydan

2756

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#41  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2756 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@jaydan said:
@Pedro said:

@jaydan: No stress. I just find it odd that the OP mentions the number of user reviews as a metric of worth and if that same logic was applied to other games this game would be so far down the totem pole.

We both question the same thing but for different reasons.

My question is why use Metacritic when it is long-proven to be unstable - why use a rating site that ALLOWS smear campaigns against or for games in the form of review-bombing?

Of course we can make our own threads posting links to Metacritic as long as it suits our own bias, and more people will say how shit the aggregator actually is.

So if millions of people like the Mona Lisa, but you don't - that's the same as no one liking it or knowing it existed?

The main reason why the Mona Lisa is as famous as it is: there was a point in time it got stolen and it was missing from the world. This happened back in 1911. It built the notoriety it has today because it was missing before it ultimately got returned to the Louvre. Did you know that bit of history?

People don't even know why they love the Mona Lisa, they just love it because it is famous. If you are in Paris, it just is one of those landmarks everyone has to see for the sake of seeing it. Most people don't realize how tiny the painting actually is, and to see it today you have to stand across a crowded room full of people trying to squint your eyes past the bullet-proof glass.

In my opinion, and as an avid art history fan, I think it is a highly overrated painting. The way it's presented today is what you would call a "tourist trap" destination.

Ultimately, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with that one.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

24678

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#42 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 24678 Posts

@Pedro said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

So if millions of people like the Mona Lisa, but you don't - that's the same as no one liking it or knowing it existed?

If over 80 -240million more people like and play PUBG, Fortnite and Minecraft does that mean this God of War cannot be the best game this gen?

Up to you if you think that. I think God of War is a legit best gen contender. I've played the game and enjoyed it. It's pretty hard to make a game everyone likes. The fact that it was well received in the industry is a testament to that. In no way am I suggesting that if a game gets universal praise that I must like it. But because it was well received, the question should be asked - is it the best this gen? Just like all works of business and art these types of things get asked.

Avatar image for pmanden
pmanden

821

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#43 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 821 Posts

It is subjective, but I think that GOW is far from the best game this generation. Persona 5, Far Cry 5 and Witcher 3 are far superior.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

36058

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#44 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 36058 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I am directly challenging the use of scores and user reviews to justify your preference. You can freely say that you think its the best but you decided to include numbers to back your claim. I am simply demonstrating that if you are going down that route, this game would fail to compete with several other games.

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

39342

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#45 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39342 Posts

I hate it when gamers love using Metacritic BS to tell anyone this is the best game since slice of bread and using Metacritic doesn't tell the whole story of the game itself. I have played good/bad & the ugly games when Metacritic has nothing to do with my choosing.

With that said, God of War 4 was indeed my favorite PS4 game but NOT my personal favorite that is. Horizon: Zero Dawn is still by far the best PS4 exclusive game I enjoy in a very long time, it was a new IP made by Guerrilla Games. Bloodborne was alright but not the system seller for me, Horizon takes the cake here in my opinion.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

36058

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#46 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 36058 Posts

@davillain-: Very rarely I coalesce with your game preferences.

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

39342

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#47 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39342 Posts

@Pedro said:

@davillain-: Very rarely I coalesce with your game preferences.

Anyone is free to question my gaming preference as I always leave them down in my sig below the moment I installed a game into my system of choice. Gaming is my life long passion after all ;)

Avatar image for Gamerno6666
Gamerno6666

6997

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#48 Gamerno6666
Member since 2013 • 6997 Posts

Nah I'd pick RDR2, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Hollow Knight etc over it.

I platinumed GOW and have no desire to play it again.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

36058

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#49 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 36058 Posts

@davillain-: Well in this case we are on the same page. However, I have sigs disabled. And gaming is also a life long passion of mine. :)

Avatar image for KillzoneSnake
KillzoneSnake

2579

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#50  Edited By KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2579 Posts

Must be one of the most overrated movie... i mean games of all time. Some time ago some guy on YT made vid... GoW 2018 was the best GoW. The comments were full of hell no, old GoW was better, specially II. So i dont know how it could get overrated so much. Critics i understand can overrate... yet the user score over 9 is shocking.

Take other overrated games like Red Dead 2 or MGSV. 8.1 and 8.2 user scores, compared to their 97 and 93 metascore.