German Consumer Protection: Xbox One is a trojan horse

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Damien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 -Damien-
Member since 2004 • 5355 Posts
This thing is not gonna fly in Europe. it's pretty much DEAD ON ARRIVAL http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=575133
Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

x12u.jpg

TLHBO

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

"These are indeed quite some time now but it was improved even further. For some people, the system awakens the fear that the very good detection of persons in the area and their movements could lead to quasi Microsoft spied the most intimate life of users and queries over the Internet. Besides, good cameras with online connectivity are already long in many computers and televisions that are in households that standard."

agree do i, fears of people german totally are quasi very good founded in truth as are long in computers and televisions is!

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Well you know if it's a politician involved he must be telling the truth.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

Indeed, I will never buy an xbox one due to this. 

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

[QUOTE="-Damien-"]This thing is not gonna fly in Europe. it's pretty much DEAD ON ARRIVAL http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=575133[/QUOTE]

Yeah... the same country that in 2012 said they would ban 360 sales.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Has there ever been a console with so much negativity? Shit's crazy
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
deactivated-5d7fb49ded561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
Member since 2010 • 4019 Posts

Europe has taste, which is why the PlayStation always does well here.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Davekeeh
Now if Sony can launch the PS4 correctly then maybe Europe will forgot the £425 PS3.
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
This coming from the same people who think playing GTA turns you into a serial killer.
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
The argument about Kinect always recording you or "watching" you is completely ridiculous. How come nobody complains about the integrated cameras on their laptops?
Mr720fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mr720fan
Member since 2013 • 2795 Posts

Yeah and then they find out you can turn it off in settings.    I will keep mine on, not paranoid like some

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#15 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

The argument about Kinect always recording you or "watching" you is completely ridiculous. How come nobody complains about the integrated cameras on their laptops?percech
Because you have control over it. Hell you can break it if you are really paranoid and your laptop will still work, but you can't do that with Kinect since it always on, I don't think you can turn it off, but they might change that. Though I wonder what would happen if people would just put a box over Kinect when they are not playing

Mr720fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mr720fan
Member since 2013 • 2795 Posts

[QUOTE="percech"]The argument about Kinect always recording you or "watching" you is completely ridiculous. How come nobody complains about the integrated cameras on their laptops?da_illest101
Because you have control over it. Hell you can break it if you are really paranoid and your laptop will still work, but you can't do that with Kinect since it always on. Though I wonder what would happen if people would just put a box over Kinect when they are not playing

Madcatz kinect blockbox lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-594be627b82ba

[QUOTE="da_illest101"][QUOTE="percech"]The argument about Kinect always recording you or "watching" you is completely ridiculous. How come nobody complains about the integrated cameras on their laptops?Mr720fan

Because you have control over it. Hell you can break it if you are really paranoid and your laptop will still work, but you can't do that with Kinect since it always on. Though I wonder what would happen if people would just put a box over Kinect when they are not playing

Madcatz kinect blockbox lol

Lol
FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

The argument about Kinect always recording you or "watching" you is completely ridiculous. How come nobody complains about the integrated cameras on their laptops?percech

Actually,

Do a search... lots more like this.

The problem is that Kinect 2 along with the rest of XBO is designed and marketed to be an always-on, receiving audio and visual input at all times, device.

If you could disconnect the thing (like I do with my PS eye) or cover it up (like I do with my laptop) then that wouldn't be a problem. But that defeats the entire purpose of the device in the first place.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4867 Posts
Because people are stupid. My iphone is connected to the net and is "always on" (lol). Maybe Apple is spying on me too!
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
[QUOTE="percech"]The argument about Kinect always recording you or "watching" you is completely ridiculous. How come nobody complains about the integrated cameras on their laptops?lhughey
Because people are stupid. My iphone is connected to the net and is "always on" (lol). Maybe Apple is spying on me too!

They are, or were depending on where you are in the world.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
Lems cant catch a break :(
-Damien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 -Damien-
Member since 2004 • 5355 Posts
really? you can't really tell the difference? because the camera in your laptop is dumb, stupid camera, it's not aware of what you do. It just records, it does not interpret what it sees. Kinect camera is smart, it interprets and processes the result and forward the data accordingly to the back end servers
SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

First: if your laptop camera is being used without your permission, that's because someone hacked it. It means you're a victim of a crime, and you can even put the police after the sob who's watching you.

Second: in this case, there are mandatory internet checks, that verifies console, user and game info to "validate" it. The level of control they'll have over your system is unparalleled with what MS or Apple has over your laptop camera.

Third: from MS' own statements about the issue, personal info will be recorded. Though you'll have some level of control on how it will be used, and with whom will it be shared, they didn't say you could forbid the recording at all. They also didn't say how you would know what they are collecting, when they are doing it, and for what purpose.

""We are designing the new Kinect with simple, easy methods to customize privacy settings, provide clear notifications and meaningful privacy choices for how data will be used, stored, and shared"

http://www.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-attempts-to-calm-xbox-one-privacy-worries-6408951

Fourth: no one actually believes it will be "always watching". It does make sense, though, that they can use bots (apps that they could run from their servers) that are triggered to record consumers' reactions to certain moments in ads and games, to improve them in the future, and also to show you similar content in the future, that you may like.

Fifth: if your Kinect got hacked in any way, it would be a lot harder for you to find out about it and to solve that problem, since you've got a lot less control over it than you have over your laptop camera, OS and installed apps.

Sixth: If MS used it in breach of contract or ToS/EULA, how would you even know about it...

Seventh: this relates to the first difference - in the case of MS violating the ToS/EULA and recording more of your habits than you allowed, you'll first have to prove your case (prove the breach of contract) before you could even think of suing them. It's not the same case of an individual hacker, that's economically powerless, that's not the owner of servers that control and have access to your personal info under contractual protection.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

x12u.jpg

TLHBO

call_of_duty_10
His tongue is only slightly whiter in this picture
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 percech

[QUOTE="percech"]The argument about Kinect always recording you or "watching" you is completely ridiculous. How come nobody complains about the integrated cameras on their laptops?da_illest101

Because you have control over it. Hell you can break it if you are really paranoid and your laptop will still work, but you can't do that with Kinect since it always on, I don't think you can turn it off, but they might change that. Though I wonder what would happen if people would just put a box over Kinect when they are not playing

MS confirmed that you can turn it off or disable it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts
[QUOTE="da_illest101"]

[QUOTE="percech"]The argument about Kinect always recording you or "watching" you is completely ridiculous. How come nobody complains about the integrated cameras on their laptops?percech

Only quotes i've seen were pretty vague. Only thing they said was you can turn the entire console off entirely which would turn off the Kinect. Nothing about the Kinect being turned off or disabled separately from the console. Unless you've got quotes stating otherwise?
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 percech
[QUOTE="percech"][QUOTE="da_illest101"] Because you have control over it. Hell you can break it if you are really paranoid and your laptop will still work, but you can't do that with Kinect since it always on, I don't think you can turn it off, but they might change that. Though I wonder what would happen if people would just put a box over Kinect when they are not playinghoosier7

Only quotes i've seen were pretty vague. Only thing they said was you can turn the entire console off entirely which would turn off the Kinect. Nothing about the Kinect being turned off or disabled separately from the console. Unless you've got quotes stating otherwise?

I guess I read it wrong the first time I saw it. He didn't specifically mention turning off the Kinect itself. Wow, it's almost as if MS is looking to leave the gaming industry or something.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts
[QUOTE="percech"][QUOTE="hoosier7"][QUOTE="percech"] MS confirmed that you can turn it off or disable it.

I guess I read it wrong the first time I saw it. He didn't specifically mention turning off the Kinect itself. Wow, it's almost as if MS is looking to leave the gaming industry or something.

I know i don't understand it. Just a really unnecessary policy, why remove the consumers choice? Hope they can change it and allow gamers to use the console without it connected or at least turned off completely.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-594be627b82ba
[QUOTE="percech"][QUOTE="hoosier7"][QUOTE="percech"] MS confirmed that you can turn it off or disable it.

They are entering the big brother industry
RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts

Germany is PC land anyway.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

yeah you know you wanna be Xboned

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I am very interested in whether there will be a formal inquiry about the XBone.  If so, we may find out exactly what information is or isn't being farmed from the thing.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts
[QUOTE="-Damien-"]This thing is not gonna fly in Europe. it's pretty much DEAD ON ARRIVAL http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=575133

Germany=/=Europe
Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

Lemmings making excuses for Xbox One in this thread is so surprising.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

x12u.jpg

TLHBO

call_of_duty_10
I am not sure who that guy is, but everytime I see his picture, I have a sudden erge to pull my kids closer to me.
SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

[QUOTE="da_illest101"]

[QUOTE="percech"]The argument about Kinect always recording you or "watching" you is completely ridiculous. How come nobody complains about the integrated cameras on their laptops?percech

They did say you can turn it off (the console), but where did you see that you can disable Kinect? Isn't it necessary to interact with the system?

Avatar image for AshFromEvilDead
AshFromEvilDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AshFromEvilDead
Member since 2013 • 102 Posts
Where did you all buy your tinfoil hats?
Playerpat0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Playerpat0
Member since 2004 • 1698 Posts

Davekeeh
"Good taste"... coming from the guy with WWE in his sig. Needed that laugh!
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"]

x12u.jpg

TLHBO

AmazonTreeBoa
I am not sure who that guy is, but everytime I see his picture, I have a sudden erge to pull my kids closer to me.

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer. I have no idea where that shot was taken but he must be regretting having made that face.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I value my privacy, hence why I do not own a smart phone, nor will I ever own an X1.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts
Well, they're gonna get pretty bored with me. They might learn that I like spicy nacho cheese Doritos.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#44 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts

In all fairness, I've likely already been investigated thoroughly by NSA for them to give a s*** about watching me through Kinect.  Then again, I do have a truly awful sunburn they could meme-ify....

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

[QUOTE="percech"][QUOTE="da_illest101"] Because you have control over it. Hell you can break it if you are really paranoid and your laptop will still work, but you can't do that with Kinect since it always on, I don't think you can turn it off, but they might change that. Though I wonder what would happen if people would just put a box over Kinect when they are not playing

hoosier7

One thing I have seen is that apparently you can turn off the camera via settings, but not a mention about the microphone.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57585620-75/microsoft-talks-xbox-one-naming-privacy-and-more-q-a/

"It's not the case where you'll be able to remove the camera altogether. But you'll be able to put the system in modes where you can be completely secure about the fact that the camera is off and can't see you."

I guess if I get it, I might be OK with resorting to switching the whole system off, but I don't understand why it should need Kinect connected at all. It's understandable selling Kinect with every console, to encourage developers to use it, but even that's disappointing for me.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#46 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts

Has there ever been a console with so much negativity? Shit's crazysilversix_
Why don't you ask Nintendo about the Wii U, which has negative reception you helped adding? :|

GrandMaster555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GrandMaster555
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

This is unexpected.  What I thought was hillarious was the introduction to one of the articles saying, While America hates freedom, some nations of the world don't.

How did MS screw up on a product this bad.

BTW the XBOXone may also be illegalized in Australlia.  XD

GrandMaster555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GrandMaster555
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I just want to say my Wii U is awesome it's what's on right now waiting for me to finish blogging so I can play. XD

SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SchnabbleTab
Member since 2013 • 1488 Posts

Davekeeh