Geow3 + FXAA = BlurredZone 3

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rich-sac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rich-sac
Member since 2011 • 420 Posts

Double standards in system wars at it's finest. Fanboys claiming that MLAA is a super horrible AA because it blurs the whole entire image like Blurzone 3. Which obviously is not true at all because the AA blur king belongs to FXAA and KZ3 is sharp as hell with less motion blur than Geow3 & Crysis 2. FXAA is the real blurzone king so why don;t we hear system wars yell out? "Vaseline smeared" "Blurzone" 'blur king" 'extreme blur to hide the poor textures" 'to hide the poor framerate"

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Gears 3 still looks amazing though and that really all that matters

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#3 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

I only heard that about KZ2, never KZ3. In retrospect, the QAA might have helped with the IQ. At least that's what a lot PS3 gamers are telling me.

That screengrab I took is getting a lot mileage today. I almost regret posting it. It's in the middle of an extreme DoF effect, with smoke/dust everywhere, and blood spattering on the screen. I think it looks great in motion, and even in the screen it looks good. I put it up to show the nice, cinematic look of Gears 3.

Without directfeed screens, there's only bullshots to turn to for SP screens, and nothing really showing the new alleged FXAA implementation.

rich-sac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rich-sac

I only heard that about KZ2, never KZ3. In retrospect, the QAA might have helped with the IQ. At least that's what a lot PS3 gamers are telling me.

That screengrab I took is getting a lot mileage today. I almost regret posting it. It's in the middle of an extreme DoF effect, with smoke/dust everywhere, and blood spattering on the screen. I think it looks great in motion, and even in the screen it looks good. I put it up to show the nice, cinematic look of Gears 3.

Without directfeed screens, there's only bullshots to turn to for SP screens, and nothing really showing the new alleged FXAA implementation.

gamecubepad

I agree and yes Geow3 is one of the best looking console games no doubt, even obviously better looking than Uncharted 3. But just to stick it to the number of fanboys who keep calling Blurzone 3 even though obviously it's sharper than Crysis 2 & Geow3

Grawse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Grawse
Member since 2010 • 4342 Posts

I get so confused with these forms of AA, good thing I get the real deal on PC 8)

When I play consoles I expect aliasing and don't care much to be honest.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

I get so confused with these forms of AA, good thing I get the real deal on PC 8)

When I play consoles I expect aliasing and don't care much to be honest.

Grawse

I have to agree with you 100%. I use to be up on the AA techniques, but there are just too many now to care. I personally like MLAA and Nvidia's CSAA the most.

Avatar image for TheAcountantMan
TheAcountantMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheAcountantMan
Member since 2011 • 1281 Posts
FXAA looks amazing, Nvidia did great with it. When you actually play the game FXAA is a lot better than MLAA.
Avatar image for deactivated-635601fd996cc
deactivated-635601fd996cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 deactivated-635601fd996cc
Member since 2009 • 4381 Posts
There are different types of FXAA. You just showed the blurriest version to support your argument.
gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#9 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

I agree and yes Geow3 is one of the best looking console games no doubt, even obviously better looking than Uncharted 3. But just to stick it to the number of fanboys who keep calling Blurzone 3 even though obviously it's sharper than Crysis 2 & Geow3

rich-sac

We don't even even know if it's being used for sure. Best not to assume that FXAA is the culprit when a lot of the screens being pulled for Gears 3 are from vids, and sporting a good amount of effects like DoF, per object motion blur, in addition to particle effects. Not only that, I put them in compressed .jpg format so photobucket will accept them(less than 1MB).

Here's some clean screens from the same vid that scene is from(still from vid, still compressed twice)...

---

If that vid is actually sporting FXAA, this is what it looks like when it's not buried beneath other post effects.

rich-sac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rich-sac
There are different types of FXAA. You just showed the blurriest version to support your argument.ocstew
The FXAA I posted is the console one, which looks blurry yes. The PC version looks as sharp as mlaa but of ourse Geow3 isn't on PC isn't it?
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

AA wars... gotta love it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

Wasdie
Well at least the post process AA solutions allow the consoles to have a somewhat decent image quality with good anti aliasing. Especially compared to the terrible QAA that alot of PS3 games used in the past.
casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

Uncharted 3 feels so left out, he's sitting over in the corner like, hey talk about me.

ABCarmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ABCarmine
Member since 2011 • 1937 Posts

Uncharted 3 feels so left out, he's sitting over in the corner like, hey talk about me.

casharmy

I wonder what type of AA Uncharted 3 will use, I think it will use 85%, what about you? :P

Reiko2K1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Reiko2K1
Member since 2004 • 1288 Posts

Do your research before posting TC. There is a sharp setting for FXAA3 which was not posted in the pics you grabbed from Digital Foundry. It was posted in the videos.

Reiko2K1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Reiko2K1

[QUOTE="ocstew"]There are different types of FXAA. You just showed the blurriest version to support your argument.rich-sac
The FXAA I posted is the console one, which looks blurry yes. The PC version looks as sharp as mlaa but of ourse Geow3 isn't on PC isn't it?

FXAA3 (console)default

FXAA Default

FXAA3 sharp (console)

FXAA3

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

[QUOTE="casharmy"]

ABCarmine

I wonder what type of AA Uncharted 3 will use, I think it will use 85%, what about you? :P

I think there is a joke I'm supposed to be getting but :( my brain failed to comprehend it.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Wasdie
And over 2 console games no less lol.
ABCarmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ABCarmine

[QUOTE="ABCarmine"]

[QUOTE="casharmy"]

casharmy

I think there is a joke I'm supposed to be getting but :( my brain failed to comprehend it.

Game scores

80%-84%=A

85%-89%=AA

90%-94%=AAA

It was a joke about UC3 Going to be an AA title since your post was about AA and everyone is hyping UC3 to be AAA. Hope that helped...

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

[QUOTE="rich-sac"]

gamecubepad

We don't even even know if it's being used for sure. Best not to assume that FXAA is the culprit when a lot of the screens being pulled for Gears 3 are from vids, and sporting a good amount of effects like DoF, per object motion blur, in addition to particle effects. Not only that, I put them in compressed .jpg format so photobucket will accept them(less than 1MB).

Here's some clean screens from the same vid that scene is from(still from vid, still compressed twice)...

---

If that vid is actually sporting FXAA, this is what it looks like when it's not buried beneath other post effects.

Looking at images like this makes me think that Gears 3 does'nt look all that amazing though.

GuNsbl4ziN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GuNsbl4ziN
Member since 2010 • 285 Posts

[QUOTE="gamecubepad"]

[QUOTE="rich-sac"]

Filthybastrd

---

Looking at images like this makes me think that Gears 3 does'nt look all that amazing though.

*facepalm*

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50549 Posts

[QUOTE="casharmy"]

[QUOTE="ABCarmine"]

ABCarmine

Game scores

80%-84%=A

85%-89%=AA

90%-94%=AAA

It was a joke about UC3 Going to be an AA title since your post was about AA and everyone is hyping UC3 to be AAA. Hope that helped...

but that's not how game scores work lol.
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts
Here we go.   :)
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Microsoft needs to put Gears of War 3 on PC so I can force some AAx64 on it. I can't keep up with all these werid AA's that barely does anything for the game visually.

FXAA MLAA MSAA XXAA TAAA POAA ERAA whats next? AAAA?

ABCarmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ABCarmine

[QUOTE="ABCarmine"]

[QUOTE="casharmy"]

Chutebox

Game scores

80%-84%=A

85%-89%=AA

90%-94%=AAA

but that's not how game scores work lol.

Whatever, you still got the joke right?:twisted:

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Wasdie

I don't know why, but I feel very victimized now :P:P

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#29 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

AAAA?

ShadowDeathX

That would mean it's perfect.:P

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

All these types of AA that are out nowadays. In the end its only comparable in screenshots. Does KZ3 look blurred in screens = yes. Does it look AS blurred in game = no. The point is all these things are always disputed in Screenshots but when you actually play the game you hardly notice these things unless you really look for them

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

I don't know why, but I feel very victimized now :P:P

*grabs Abodes leg* My Adobe is better then your adobe people!!
gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gpuking
Member since 2004 • 3914 Posts
Whatever FXAA Gears3 is using still does not hold up to the MLAA in KZ3, the edge smoothing and sharpness are simply better with MLAA.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#33 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I was not aware people complained about blur in Killzone until this thread and personally I like the blur effect so long as it's not abused. I never played Killzone though so I have idea if they missused it.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50549 Posts

I was not aware people complained about blur in Killzone until this thread and personally I like the blur effect so long as it's not abused. I never played Killzone though so I have idea if they missused it.vashkey
They didn't, it's just overblown on these forums for obvious reasons.

Personally, I can't tell the difference between any of these damn AA methods when I'm playing the games. So I really don't care.

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

casharmy

uncharted 3 NOT brought up in a graphic comparison? thats a good thing :P

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

Gears 3 still looks amazing though and that really all that matters

BPoole96
Exactly. Blur effects or not. Who cares?
DillonShwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DillonShwing
Member since 2010 • 565 Posts

I don't understand any of this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

I don't understand any of this.

DillonShwing
FXAA= Jaggies-be-gone, but causes a bit of blur to the picture.
Reiko2K1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Reiko2K1

Whatever FXAA Gears3 is using still does not hold up to the MLAA in KZ3, the edge smoothing and sharpness are simply better with MLAA.  gpuking

I need to point out 3 things:

1.) Yes MLAA offers better edge smoothing and clarity.

2.) That Gears pic is horribly compressed... But the AA is still very good for games that cannot afford MLAA for console. And by looking at the SP & MP for Uncharted 3 neither can it either... FXAA is the only way to go for Uncharted 3 too!

3.) Or would you rather prefer whatever edge detect AA (Cheap MLAA?)Naughty Dog is using at the moment? Because it's offering worse quality than either MLAA or FXAA.

And this is the single player!

UC3

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]

AAAA?

mitu123

That would mean it's perfect.:P

Guess the PC will be the only one to render such powerful AA!!
Reiko2K1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Reiko2K1

Here's how Gears 3 looks with the FXAA3 sharpsetting.

It loses sub pixel AA for better clarity... See the lockers in the background. But the edge detection is working better than 4XMSAA.

Gears 3

That's actually amazing for a game that was originally developedwith no AA in mind.

rich-sac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 rich-sac

Here's how Gears 3 looks with the FXAA3 sharpsetting.

It loses sub pixel AA for better clarity... See the lockers in the background. But the edge detection is working better than 4XMSAA.

Gears 3

That's actually amazing for a game that was originally developedwith no AA in mind.

CorbraMax

what do you mean sharp setting? is there an option to use whatever AA method you like? anyways Geow still have the best shadows ever on consoles, not a single jagg

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#43 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

what what AA?

I'll just stick to Super Sample AA thanks. And lots of it.

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KingsMessenger
Member since 2009 • 2574 Posts

2.) That Gears pic is horribly compressed... But the AA is still very good for games that cannot afford MLAA for console. And by looking at the SP & MP for Uncharted 3 neither can it either... FXAA is the only way to go for Uncharted 3 too!

3.) Or would you rather prefer whatever edge detect AA (Cheap MLAA?)Naughty Dog is using at the moment? Because it's offering worse quality than either MLAA or FXAA.

CorbraMax

Naughty Dog is using MLAA, albeit modified(perhap stencil pass instead of branching? That would make it run faster but would represent a different approach to finding edges, so that may an effect).

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KingsMessenger

what do you mean sharp setting? is there an option to use whatever AA method you like? anyways Geow still have the best shadows ever on consoles, not a single jagg

rich-sac

FXAA 3.10 allows full developer control over the method. There are also a whole bunch of different presets done by Timothy Lottes that optimize for different aspects of image quality and performance... I imagine that it is even theoretically possible to adjust those settings in real time if you integrated it into your engine deep enough(basically script transitions from one preset to another based on what you feel works best for that particular scene/sequence).

Edit- Looking at his blog, it appears that the above(adjusting presets in real-time to optimize particular sequences) is what he intended the presets to be used for... Basically, you can change the preset with a single line of code, #define FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET.

rich-sac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 rich-sac

[QUOTE="gpuking"]CorbraMax

And this is the single player!

God that UC3 pic looks horrible. and people still praise this over KZ3 as the PS3 Graphical marvel lol

Reiko2K1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Reiko2K1

[QUOTE="rich-sac"]

KingsMessenger

FXAA 3.10 allows full developer control over the method. There are also a whole bunch of different presets done by Timothy Lottes that optimize for different aspects of image quality and performance... I imagine that it is even theoretically possible to adjust those settings in real time if you integrated it into your engine deep enough(basically script transitions from one preset to another based on what you feel works best for that particular scene/sequence).

To add to your post: Here's the sharp setting code for console.

http://timothylottes.blogspot.com/2011/06/sharper-fxaa3-console.html

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KingsMessenger

BTW, any modders here that use UDK but had not checked the UDK website recently:

July 2011 UDK Beta is up.

Allows you to enable PostProcessAA, which includes FXAA and MLAA.

MLAA requires extra memory as an intermediary render target, which is another thing to consider when comparing MLAA and FXAA(though theoretically you can just overwrite other render targets since the scene is already rendered, but that wouldn't necessarily always work... I imagine it would be a bigger concern in a forward rendered game than a deferred rendered game, simply because the deferred rendered game would have several MBs worth of render targets that are no longer needed by the time you get to the Post Process stage).