tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Gears Tactics will run at 4K/60fps on the Xbox Series X with a choice of 60 or 30fps for the cinematics — “not for any performance reason but more for just personal taste,” McRae says. The Series S will run the game at 1440p/60fps, while the One X will have the option for 4K/30fps or 1440p/60fps performance mode, and the One S is at 1080p/30fps.
“That’s a good question — it is better on the Series S,” says McRae. “It’s visually better — same resolution, same frame rate, but the CPU is so much better in the Series S and the Series X that we have a lot more ability to just draw more stuff. Even though the GPU is responsible for drawing, we still have to get it there off the CPU, and on the Xbox One X you’ll see that the visual quality is not quite as high as it is on the Series S in the performance mode.”

Microsoft’s multi-device Xbox strategy means that its new games need to run on a wide variety of hardware, all the way from the original 2013 Xbox One through the 4K-capable Xbox One X, the 1440p-targeting next-gen Series S, and the ultra-high-end Series X. According to McRae, though, tuning Gears Tactics for each system was simpler than making it work on PCs in the first place.

“It’s harder to make PC games,” he says. “Tyler can attest to the fact that my workplace has a stack of GPUs — there’s just so much hardware on PC. You have different RAM configurations and different hard drive speeds and totally different vendors on GPUs and then just a huge range of drivers you have to worry about and CPUs. So it’s harder, but it’s kind of fun, too.”

https://www.theverge.com/21528481/gears-tactics-xbox-series-x-s-vs-one-pc-coalition-interview

Interesting the series S will be 1440p/60 the xbox one X will have the same setting 1440p/60 but also 4k/30 which the series S will not have, wasn't the series S more powerful than the xbox one X?

Or is the actual bandwidth disparity?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44102 Posts

Cool. I’m really looking forward to playing this game on the Xbox Series X myself. 😁

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8012 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Cool. I’m really looking forward to playing this game on the Xbox Series X myself. 😁

Played it on PC and thoroughly enjoyed it.. i really hope they bring alot of the class-system stuff and customization to the main-line Gears series..

if/when they add some DLC, i'll be hopping back in on console.. 😎

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Obviously the Series S could run at some 4k settings but Microsoft is governing it to max at 1440p for some reason. I'm thinking they wish they could put the One X back in time so as not to compete with the Series S.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44102 Posts

@Antwan3K: Yeah from what I’ve read about the game it sounds like it turned out to be very good. As a big Gears of War fan I’m pretty hyped to get the chance to play it myself.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Still blows my mind that series S can't or MS won't allow it to output 4k on games. If someone buys a Series S now and later buys a 4k tv, it'd be nice to have that option. Personally I prefer framerate over resolution but that's just me. 30fps might not be that bad on this kind of game either though.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5859 Posts

Very few games will be 4k on Series S, even if it could they targeting 1440p/1080p at better frame rates.

Series X is for 4k gaming at better frame rates.

One X is current gen where games have been 4k 30fps so they had to support that.

The fact at 1440p/60fps is better looking on the series S than one X is interesting but the most critical point from the whole article is

tuning Gears Tactics for each system was simpler than making it work on PCs in the first place.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Crazy what competent programmers can do huh?

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2631 Posts

@tormentos: Well. I think it’s pretty obvious. Series S is more powerful. Since the game is optimized for Series S I am assuming it’s using some RDNA 2 features that will tax the GPU.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

Series S is a 1440p.1080p machine. Nothing is going to make it more than just that.

Avatar image for the6millionlies
The6millionLies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11 The6millionLies
Member since 2020 • 564 Posts

I think MS vision with the XSS is high framerates over higher resolutions ,The console on paper is more capable than the Xbox one X, probably it could run many games at 4K or dynamic 4K with steady 30fps.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Why are people saying the S could be 4k but MS is holding it back? That's bananas. It's rated at 4TFLOPS and has, what, 6GB RAM max, best case scenario, for the GPU? Sure - 4K in potato mode. 1440p and less at reasonable frames and visual settings is infinitely better use of the hardware. Resolution is pointless if it has to look like Outer Worlds on Switch

Avatar image for the6millionlies
The6millionLies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13 The6millionLies
Member since 2020 • 564 Posts

@xantufrog: I said it could "probably" run games at 4K or dynamic 4K.. just going for the fact that RDNA2 provides better per-teraflop returns than the GCN and it got a much better CPU than the Xbox one X, has better ram but limited bandwidth and that could be a bottleneck to run games with new effects at 4K on series S.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tormentos

@xantufrog said:

Why are people saying the S could be 4k but MS is holding it back? That's bananas. It's rated at 4TFLOPS and has, what, 6GB RAM max, best case scenario, for the GPU? Sure - 4K in potato mode. 1440p and less at reasonable frames and visual settings is infinitely better use of the hardware. Resolution is pointless if it has to look like Outer Worlds on Switch

It may be the fact that the xbox one X can do 4k/30 and some how the series S can't when some have claim the series S is more powerful thank to IPC RDNA2 gains over Polaris.

I think it is the bandwidth the actual problem, the xbox one X has considerably more.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Why should they aim for 4k when they can run 1440p/60 with higher graphical settings? More so in a system never marketed as 4k?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tormentos

@ghost_of_phobos said:

Why should they aim for 4k when they can run 1440p/60 with higher graphical settings? More so in a system never marketed as 4k?

Because the xbox one X is weaker supposedly and has a 4k/30 mode is about the OPTION, is really pathetic how on and off people are about options on xbox when it serve them best.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-628e6669daebe

@tormentos: I'm sure if they could make it 4k at a satisfactory performance they would. But again, the system is not marketed as 4k, no one will buy it expecting it to display 4k. Options are fine if they are viable.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pedro

@ghost_of_phobos said:

@tormentos: I'm sure if they could make it 4k at a satisfactory performance they would. But again, the system is not marketed as 4k, no one will buy it expecting it to display 4k. Options are fine if they are viable.

Isn't it amazing how the simple things are struggle for some people? 😂

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@tormentos: Who says the x1x is weaker than the S?

The cpu is much worse, but I haven't seen where the S GPU got a magic 50% efficiency gain per TFLOPS. It's got 4k at 30fps *at best* written all over it. The S is a PS4 Pro without a trashy CPU IMO

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@Pedro: MS actually confirmed it can play games at native 4k and it's up to the developers to choose that. Finally makes sense. No reason indie games or sports games can't run at native 4k 60+fps on that kind of hardware.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/09/17/xbox-series-s-can-run-4k-but-1440p-is-the-main-goal

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JoshRMeyer

@ghost_of_phobos: If my PS4 Pro can play games at native 4k 60fps, this system should be able to also(and it can). And before you say Pro can't do that, maybe look up some of the popular sports games and basically any indie game.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2631 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

@ghost_of_phobos: If my PS4 Pro can play games at native 4k 60fps, this system should be able to also(and it can). And before you say Pro can't do that, maybe look up some of the popular sports games and basically any indie game.

Come on man lol.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@joshrmeyer: https://www.psu.com/news/ps4-pro-games-list-every-title-getting-a-4k-update/

I count 11 games total that make that claim. A couple of racing games, kingdom hearts remaster, and some Indies.

Did you know you can play games in 4K on an old gpus too?

The XSS can play old shit and Indies at 4k. So what? You seriously think it should be playing this at 4K 60? Do you think your ps4 pro could play this at 4k 60? And at what settings? It boggles the mind - if you had an XSS-spec PC you can't seriously tell me you you'd choose a resolution # over visuals and framerate, just to say "4K baybay!"

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@xantufrog: I counted 24 but I get your point. And no, I don't expect this game to be 4k 60fps on series s. I do expect many indie games and sports games will be native 4k and either 30 or 60fps on series s as an option. My point was PS4 Pro can do it, and as I think you stated or someone did, this is a PS Pro with a much better CPU. So if Pro can do 4k 30fps(a lot more games can do this than the 60fps I mentioned earlier) with a crap jaguar CPU and a similar GPU(Series S is probably stronger), then Series S should be able to do 4k 60fps on those games easily with the much better CPU.

Edit: Forgot to post my link I used...

https://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PS4_Pro_Game_Upgrades_and_Differences

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@xantufrog said:

Well, no offense, but sometimes you come off like a PC snob when you talk about consoles. What does "4k in potato mode" mean? Are you saying the One X has no business trying to play in 4k?

Pretty sure you've insinuated that Cyberpunk on current systems is a bad Idea. If not, then sorry ahead of time, if so, what are you making that measurement with? People like me have never had a 4K system before and those of us who don't game on PC don't have a problem with One X or PS4 Pro's power levels.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pedro

@joshrmeyer said:

@Pedro: MS actually confirmed it can play games at native 4k and it's up to the developers to choose that. Finally makes sense. No reason indie games or sports games can't run at native 4k 60+fps on that kind of hardware.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/09/17/xbox-series-s-can-run-4k-but-1440p-is-the-main-goal

Well off course it can run some games at 4K, that does not negate the fact that it is not only marketed as 1440p/1080p but it design for such resolutions. NO ONE should be expecting to purchase the Series S for 4K gaming. There is a system for that, the Series X.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@briguyb13 said:
@xantufrog said:

Well, no offense, but sometimes you come off like a PC snob when you talk about consoles. What does "4k in potato mode" mean? Are you saying the One X has no business trying to play in 4k?

Pretty sure you've insinuated that Cyberpunk on current systems is a bad Idea. If not, then sorry ahead of time, if so, what are you making that measurement with? People like me have never had a 4K system before and those of us who don't game on PC don't have a problem with One X or PS4 Pro's power levels.

4k in potato mode means having the game run at extremely low fidelity. Like putting every setting in a PC game on very low, looks like shit. He's saying saving on resources by dropping the resolution is the smart decision to make and it's hard to disagree with him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@fedor said:

4k in potato mode means having the game run at extremely low fidelity. Like putting every setting in a PC game on very low, looks like shit. He's saying saving on resources by dropping the resolution is the smart decision to make and it's hard to disagree with him.

So it's a comparison to PC gaming thing?

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Fedor

@briguyb13 said:
@fedor said:

No, potato mode is just a phrase for running a game at extremely low settings, TW3 or Outer Worlds on Switch is basically potato mode.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@fedor said:
@briguyb13 said:
@fedor said:

No, potato mode is just a phrase for running a game at extremely low settings, TW3 or Outer Worlds on Switch is basically potato mode.

Consoles don't typically have settings modes though. And I'm not asking Xantu about Series S, but about One X and its ability to play games in 4k and its performance.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

The RAM speed on the Series S is super slow. Much slower than the One X and it has a lower total capacity. Mix that with the CU number on the Series S and that’s why we won’t be seeing 4K upgrades like the One X. Yes the Series S CPU is worlds better. And the ssd will benefit gamers greatly. But the Series S is not a 4K machine in any way. The One X is far more capable in that area

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fedor

@briguyb13 said:
@fedor said:
@briguyb13 said:
@fedor said:

Consoles don't typically have settings modes though. And I'm not asking Xantu about Series S, but about One X and its ability to play games in 4k and its performance.

It has nothing to do with settings modes, It just a phrase for a game running at really low fidelity (like TW3 or Outer Worlds on Switch). I was just answering the potato mode question you had.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tormentos

@xantufrog said:

The cpu is much worse, but I haven't seen where the S GPU got a magic 50% efficiency gain per TFLOPS. It's got 4k at 30fps *at best* written all over it. The S is a PS4 Pro without a trashy CPU IMO

From RDNA vs Polaris gains, the gains are real, the 5500XT is 5Tf 22CU and can beat with less bandwidth the RX580 which is 36CU and 6+TF.

I would not call it 50% but it may be in some cases.

@Pedro said:
@ghost_of_phobos said:

Isn't it amazing how the simple things are struggle for some people? 😂

Actually it wasn't me the one claiming the Series S is more powerful than the xbox one X lemmings were.

I think the GPU at 4TF is a little weaker but with more functions, but the bandwidth probably is the problem as well on 4k.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Anyways I think Cyberpunk will work sufficiently well on PS4 Pro and the One X for console peeps like me. And they'll work with PS5 and XSX so those customers aren't getting screwed over or anything.

Maybe a PC person would scoff at playing it that way, but not console gamers who don't have the best to compare it against. Same goes for Gears Tactics and most other games.

Never before have customers had such a large variety of options to play games. And most probably couldn't tell the difference between One X or Series S if we're being honest.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@tormentos said:
@xantufrog said:

From RDNA vs Polaris gains, the gains are real, the 5500XT is 5Tf 22CU and can beat with less bandwidth the RX580 which is 36CU and 6+TF.

I would not call it 50% but it may be in some cases.

40 CU's vs 20 CU's
8GB @ 224 GB/s and 2GB @ 56 GB/s vs 12GB at 326 GB/s

Sure the Series S has an almost 400 mhz advantage on the clock speed, but the Series S GPU has to deal with some MAJOR shortcomings. Navi would have to be the best jump we've ever seen for the Series S GPU to outperform the One X GPU. Your example is a 22CU GPU beating a 36CU GPU. That's hardly the 20 vs 40 comparison we are seeing between the Series S and One X.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-628e6669daebe

@joshrmeyer: My PC X3700/1660ti (5.5tflops) can't run this game at 4k/60, unless I severely drop graphical settings. Though I never tried to see how low I would have to go to achieve this result pretty sure is not worth the loss in quality.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7132 Posts

@BlackShirt20 said:
@joshrmeyer said:

Come on man lol.

yeah that is funny. ps4 pro can't do 4k/60 unless its a 8 bit indie game. no way in hell the pro is doing 4k/60 other than a sports game that just has to render a basket ball court.

no way in hell games like ghost, god of war is doing 60 on the pro.

gears tactics is no indie game either. it's not ratchet and clank or demon souls graphical type games but its no indie graphical game.

series x and ps5 is not even doing 4k/60 unless its a car game or a cross gen title with out raytracing or a last gen game in boost mode. 99% of the games coming are doing 4k/30 with raytracing or 1440p/60 with no raytracing. so how can the series s be doing 4k/60 if the series x version is doing 4k/60?

4k/30 or 1440p/60 on these next gen machines using raytracing.

besides I rather have them choose 1440p over 4k if the game is smoother and runs better.

im sure indie games will be 4k/60 on the series s to.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@gifford38: "ps4 pro can't do 4k/60 unless its a 8 bit indie game. no way in hell the pro is doing 4k/60 other than a sports game that just has to render a basket ball court."

8 bit or sports game? Lol here's a list. Educate yourself.

https://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PS4_Pro_Game_Upgrades_and_Differences

Also, Xbox One X is doing forza at native 4k 60fps. That's no indie game. I'm guessing the new consoles must have much better graphic settings to be only running at 1440p like demons souls.(which is awesome imo). They definitely could be running every game at 4k 60fps if the developers chose that(such as call of duty running 4k 120fps).