Gears of War Ultimate Edition is mighty good - agreed?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 25957 Posts

I never actually played the original back in the day, so this is all new to me. My only impressions of the series were from multiplayer which skewed my opinion because I wasn't used to the slow paced combat. But the campaign has got me hooked! I can see how special this game was for its time. The remaster does a great job of making the game next gen friendly. One thing I didn't expect from the game was the horror aspect which is awesome. My understanding is that the 4th one will go back to this. Overall, I'm pretty happy. I kinda wish they remastered the whole series. Not sure how I will like playing the 360 versions. What is your verdict, SW? Any first time Gears players?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56918 Posts

from what i hear its a pretty bad remaster of a meh game. gears had its place and time but it hasn't aged well. they should have done gears 3, that was the only good gears game

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#3  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 13847 Posts

Well, it's remaster of a great game. Pretty hard for it not to be good.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 5567 Posts

Not a first time player but I think they did a good job with it. As a fan I love the subtle differences they changed in the cut scenes and the new character lines of dialogue.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

from what i hear its a pretty bad remaster of a meh game. gears had its place and time but it hasn't aged well. they should have done gears 3, that was the only good gears game

Where'd you hear that? It's a great re-master, it seriously looks and runs great. 60fps multiplayer, 1080p, all new graphics and cut scenes, its basically the definition of a great re-master in my books.

The game has aged of course (2006?) but it's definitely interesting to go back and play the game that set the standard for third person shooters. It still controls and plays well to this day, the third person shooting and cover system gameplay still feels and functions as well or better than most modern third person shooters. It's still a lot of fun in co-op, and MP has been cleaned up drastically.

For 49.99 you get the remaster, all of the original games and gears 4 beta access. I haven't played this game since it first came out, so its a great flash back.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#6 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

It wasn't meh in it's time. Please go back in time and look at the world's reaction when it got released.

The game was amazing and so enjoyable to play. Why was it "meh" to you ?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56918 Posts

@acp_45 said:
@mems_1224 said:

It wasn't meh in it's time. Please go back in time and look at the world's reaction when it got released.

Like I said, the game had its place and time but time has not been kind to it. It has really bad pacing issues and the last boss fight was always horrible. Also, it had a really forgettable story for such a cool, unique world they created. Plus, this remaster didn't even include a horde mode.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29686 Posts

It truly was a special game when released. The first game that felt truly next gen at the time.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I love Gears but I'm holding off on this. Too many other new experiences coming up.

Though, it is tempting since you get so much for one price. Dat value.

So in short, I can contribute nothing as usual.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

Gears of War is truly a spectacular accomplishment...Back in the day. The UE...Well

You'd think after a decade later they'd at least make the game run at 60fps? Please if you're going to try convince 30fps is better than 60fps spare yourself from looking like an a$$. Its funny cause they make the multiplayer silky smooth at 60fps how do they reasonably expect people to go back to 30fps for the campaign? I mean gears of war is a very complete package with a stellar single player campaign, co-op gameplay and brilliant multiplayer this restricts the game to being only multiplayer. Another problem is if you're aiming to return to the horror roots why make the game so colourful? Not a major issue but seriously...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@mems_1224 said:
@acp_45 said:
@mems_1224 said:

Like I said, the game had its place and time but time has not been kind to it. It has really bad pacing issues and the last boss fight was always horrible. Also, it had a really forgettable story for such a cool, unique world they created. Plus, this remaster didn't even include a horde mode.

Ok I know what you mean on the pacing and the forgettable story. But I think the story kind stretched over the 3 games. I personally think Gears 2 chained with Gears 1 really well.

I think not including a Horde mode into the Gears 1 remaster is acceptable. Since they focused on a lot of other stuff that a lot of other remasters never did. Also Horde isn't part of Gears 1 although it did become a signature game mode to the gears franchise with later games. It did exactly what was expected from a Remaster.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 51731 Posts

Should've remastered a good one.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#13 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13403 Posts

It's garbage. Campaign is still at a sloppy 30fps and multiplayer is a huge step backwards from GeoW3.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#14 UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

Still shit compared to GeoW3.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Glad you like it and can be an unbiased cow....I am waiting for the PC version but having already played all Gears games and loving them ( except Judgement ) I can see how this would be sweet for someone who has never played the series.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 41918 Posts

I like it, I just hated that fact that they change Act V totally different then the 360 version. The MP isn't that good at all and it makes me wanna play Gears of War 3 MP way more so then this remaster. I expected so much more from this but at least I get the other 3 Gears for free so that's okay in my books.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I like it and for $40 I can't complain. Shotgun needs some patching though, damn thing is hilariously unreliable.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

It's OK. Match making is spotty and the single player framerate is Bloodborne bad.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7805 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I never actually played the original back in the day, so this is all new to me. My only impressions of the series were from multiplayer which skewed my opinion because I wasn't used to the slow paced combat. But the campaign has got me hooked! I can see how special this game was for its time. The remaster does a great job of making the game next gen friendly. One thing I didn't expect from the game was the horror aspect which is awesome. My understanding is that the 4th one will go back to this. Overall, I'm pretty happy. I kinda wish they remastered the whole series. Not sure how I will like playing the 360 versions. What is your verdict, SW? Any first time Gears players?

I've been enjoying the Hell out of it. Although, I suck at MP a lot more than I used too...

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#20 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 37147 Posts

I only got to borrow my upstairs neighbor's copy when he went into work that Tuesday night. I still love Gears. The atmosphere, the weapons feel, the pop, shoot, displace mechanic is fun. I wont buy it, but I look forward to playing my 360 versions when they are available in Nov because last gen isn't ugly now to me. If I can still play Batman 1991 Sega Genesis for hours then I know graphics aren't what keeps me playing.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5529 Posts

Gears of War Ultimate Edition is mighty good - agreed?

What kind of question is that ? of course it´s mighty good !

I don´t have X1 but I played it with my nephew this weekend in his X1 and it was great.

onewiththegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 onewiththegame
Member since 2004 • 4378 Posts

Gears was and is a great game and I am sad I won't get to play this till I pick up a one

dante1972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dante1972
Member since 2004 • 934 Posts

I am sure it is good but Until Dawn is better.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 62926 Posts

Other than how spotty the matchmaking can be and how the shotgun could use a tweak, it's been a great reminder of how good the Gears mechanics can be in a multiplayer setting. When you're having a good run with the gnasher dance, you feel like such a beast.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#25 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

The original Gears of War was absolutely stunning. From what i understand, the remaster actually messes up a lot of what was special about the original game (the graphics were murkier, but that was an artistic choice, it left a lot more to the imagination, and added to the horror vibe), but still, it's a strong foundation at the core, so it will come through.

Glad to see you are enjoying it, make sure to play through Gears of War 3, that game was spectacular.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#26 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Loving it, 60 fps and dedicated servers for the online is a blast, having fun redoing the campaign again to.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13403 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

The original Gears of War was absolutely stunning. From what i understand, the remaster actually messes up a lot of what was special about the original game (the graphics were murkier, but that was an artistic choice, it left a lot more to the imagination, and added to the horror vibe), but still, it's a strong foundation at the core, so it will come through.

Most people would call it being all Lucas'ed up. Why change stuff that didn't need changing? Just give us the original re-mastered because it was just a generation ago anyway. It's not a game that needed new assets like FFVII or RE2 because they really took away some of charm away with this UE.

Super glad ND is taken this route.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hrt_rulz01  Online
Member since 2006 • 20024 Posts

Yeah I didn't mind it... But I'm not a massive Gears fan tbh.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

2/5 is mighty bad, not good.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7805 Posts

@silversix_ said:

Oh, the cow haters. Lovely.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 58271 Posts

Not quite as good as the God of War 3 remaster, but MS at least tried.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

@silversix_ said:

It must suck not being able to think for yourself.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@soulitane said:
@silversix_ said:

It must suck not being able to think for yourself.

Its actually great. Ignoring lots of bad games like Gears, a game i played for over 1k hours back in 2006-2007...

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3149 Posts

I wants Gears 1 SP (which was the best of the series) with Gears 3 MP (which was the best of the series)

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@Heil68 said:

What lol? They literally just increased the resolution, framerate and the bloom on God of War 3...

That's the PC equivalent of clicking the resolution ticker a few times, changing the framerate cap in your config and turning bloom on...

"Not quite as good"

Yeah if you have brain damage...

pmperry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pmperry
Member since 2007 • 39 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Nope, I don't agree at all! I had never played the original either but, this one is pretty damn bad.

Sure, the game looks good but, it holds your hand all the way through the game and it tends to be seriously repetitive garbage. If this weren't bad enough, the stupid AI of the guys that are with you is just seriously very bad!

Fenix: "Fall In"

Random Teammate: "No Can Do" or "Alright"

Then said Random teammate wanders off and does whatever he wants.

Even more than all this, the creatures that attack from the sky at night... No warning, no radar, sometimes no time to blow up a propane tank before they get you!

So no! It is not a great game nor a great remaster!

Owning both consoles, I can tell you that God of War 3 is a 10 compared to the job this team did. Maybe God of War 3 was just a better all around game to begin with, I don't know but, it is clear which game turned out better.

Oh and for the record, I have not played any multiplayer games of Gears of War as I'm not a fan of that style on the consoles.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Outside of this forum, I hear great things. I'm excited for the pc release.

Also, I find it odd how some of you praise Gears 3 when so many Gears enthusiasts loathed it at one time. I still can hear the screams over the double barrel shotgun l.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 raugutcon

@pmperry: So you have never played GOW and now you happen to be an "expert", and we are supposed to take your opinion serioulsy ........ ROFLMAO !

pmperry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By pmperry
Member since 2007 • 39 Posts

@raugutcon: No dumbass, I have the ultimate edition for my Xbox One but, never played it on the 360!

That is just my opinion of the game so far I'm about 30% through the game and it is not original nor is it very good.

Oh and I never played the multiplayer portion of the game, if that's what you were referring to.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40  Edited By lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 36770 Posts

I had fun revisiting, though some things bugged me. There's a few areas where enemies spawn late and it happens in your field of view when there's nothing and then suddenly there's something; I don't recall this being an issue in the original game.

I remember in the first game there was sometimes an issue with the Lancer where sometimes you'd be melee sawing through someone and it seemed disconnected as if you were sawing thin air and the person is standing back acting like they're being sawed in half and it looks funny, happened occasionally back in the day, here it's a lot more pronounced, especially with wretches.

I remember hearing the AI was bad in this and people saying so was it in the first one, and I didn't think anything of it, but there's some moments in this the AI does some pretty dumb shit and honestly I don't know if it was ever really that bad in the original; guess when I get my hands on the BC version I'll be able to check and see how it stacks up.

Also, I remember the first game had some visual filter options, shame that wasn't included. But the presentation in this is nice.

Though I harp, overall I really enjoyed playing through it again, it's still a very fun game and can't wait for them to port more of the older games over, or at least release the BC games. I have yet to try the MP, honestly it was usually a little too hardcore for me. Whenever I'd try to play it I'd get torn apart by veterans who really knew their shit and I never felt there was time to catch up myself.

PhoenixCash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PhoenixCash
Member since 2015 • 49 Posts

The 30 FPS for the campaign is really turning me off, I tried playing the campaign, got through the first level where you escape the prison and haven't touched it since. The MP is fun but I primarly played Gears for Horde and Beast Mode, neither of which are in Gears 1, I can't help but feel like I wasted 40 bucks and to be honest I would of much rather have had Gears 3 remastered with a 60 FPS campaign.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#42 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I think I 'll wait until its in the bargain bin.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 58271 Posts

@nyadc said:
@Heil68 said:

What lol? They literally just increased the resolution, framerate and the bloom on God of War 3...

That's the PC equivalent of clicking the resolution ticker a few times, changing the framerate cap in your config and turning bloom on...

"Not quite as good"

Yeah if you have brain damage...

8>7 as we go by GS scores here. Objectively GOW is better game.

Lucky we didn't use GB's 4/10 for Gears game. Yikes.

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#44 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts

I remember replaying the original a while ago and it sure hasn't aged well at all. Way too repetitive after the third act. Really, aside from a train level with a cool looking background, the last two acts in the game feel like pure filler. Don't see why I'd want to go through that again, even if it looks slightly shinier (which is not even a good thing, considering the grimy look was what gave the game its character, which was something was partly and then completely lost in 2 and 3 respectively).

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By raugutcon

@pmperry: my opinion is that you are the dumbass since have only played 30% of the game.

p3rrypm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 p3rrypm
Member since 2014 • 234 Posts

@raugutcon: Of course it is, I insulted your precious remaster... Doesn't change the fact that it isn't that good and you're struggling with anybody saying so.

Must be hard having codependence issues with a videogame man! You should probably seek counseling.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 raugutcon

@p3rrypm: my "precious" remaster, what the hell are you talking about ? must be hard to be an airhead like you.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#49  Edited By oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

Just finished the campaign this weekend it's a worthy remaster. graphically the game looks great and the 60fps multiplayer is buttery. If you didn't have the gears collection it's definitely worth $40.

What's funny is people complaining It not aging well. It's the same game not a new game. It aged the same as any other game. That's like saying pacman is bad because it's old and there's newer games. It was good then and good now.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I never actually played the original back in the day, so this is all new to me.

Well, I played it at launch 2006 and it's not all new to me.