Gears of War developer thinks Killzone is generic

• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#101 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

@edwardecl said:

Wasn't gears of war basically a copy (gameplay wise) of Killswitch for PS2?

So the people saying Gears if War was innovative and non generic need to pick up a PS2 and play Killswitch.

Kill Switch was also on original Xbox and PC. Chris Esaki, the lead designer of Kill Switch, worked on Gears of War, GeoW2 and Mass Effect.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

Not a fan of gears of war but I'm not going pretend that it isn't a very successful franchise more so than Killzone, but you know anybody can make a claim that a game is generic.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#103 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

It is generic looking, and Gears has definitly become generic too. That doesn't mean that these series are bad though. Many people like more of the same.

billing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#104  Edited By billing
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts

KZ is worst then Generic.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Ill take KZ over gears any day of the week.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#106 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

Killzone IS a generic shooter (mechanically) with generic characters and a generic story, though the production value is anything but generic, and despite it's inability to serve its purpose as a Halo killer it is still rather fun regardless

Gears of War reinforced gameplay mechanics that had really only been seen in Kill.Switch in it's time, and i'm glad other games caught on, and it reinforced that RE4 kind of shoulder camera, reflexive zoom aim, online campaign co-op, nothing really groundbreaking but a culmination of other fresh ideas that have become commonplace, and Gears made a dent in that regard, other than that the campaigns are forgettable, the competitive MP generic, but the co-op Horde mode is endless fun for me and my friends

Gears probably had more of an impact in its time, I remember seeing that Epic actually pushed MS to double it's RAM on the Xbox 360 by showing them what they could accomplish with it and MS agreed, took a $1 billion hit to do so but they did it anyways, kind of wish MS could do the same to drop the X1 price down to $400

Rayrota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Rayrota
Member since 2005 • 1456 Posts

Well it is, KiIlzone is definitely one of the weaker titles in Playstation's vast exclusive library. You can say what you want about Gears of War, but it is a far better franchise.

KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#108 KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

i didn't even finished killzone 2. the game was so generic and uninspired it was a chore to play.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#110  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@Desmonic said:

Like Gears was somehow not the generic dude bro-game of TPS's. Gears saving grace was the MP done by one of the best devs in the industry for such things (Epic themselves).

Why the revisionism? Gears of War 1 is the sole reason why third person shooters with cover mechanics are popular. It was after so many clones that people started calling it generic. Epic Games recognizes what is going on.

In an interview with Official Xbox Magazine UK, Chris Perna says that ever since the market has been "flooded by Gears clones," the Gears of War franchise has suffered.

Perna believes the stereotype associated with Gears games has come from "copycats" who borrow the look and feel of the game. "When Gears came out it was fresh, it was dark. That's what it's meant to be, right? No apologies there. It was a brutal game - it was meant to be. Then everyone copied us, and copied our look...which hurts the original."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/393211/epic-games-art-director-says-clones-have-hurt-gears-of-war/

KellyKelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#111 KellyKelly
Member since 2013 • 386 Posts

@RR360DD said:

@Vatusus said:

@mems_1224: Oh, because genetically modified supersoldiers that look like power rangers to fight aliens is such an original concept...

And I also played Killzone games and liked very much their gameplay. And I know what comes next: you say I have bad taste, my opinion is wrong, blah blah blah, been through this before so dont even bother

Sooo .. you call someone else ignorant, yet you don't have a clue what Halo is about.

Self owned again

It's about a guy with zero charisma fighting childish aliens

Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Frozzik
Member since 2006 • 3914 Posts

The vast majority of FPS games are generic. Yet people still lap them up, rave about them and still want more. It's why I rarely play them. I try them and get bored after 2-3 hours. It's a sign of the times. It's also why I'll never be without a PC, games like Stalker keep me happy.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

@treedoor said:

But Sony fans love their generic shooters. Why else do you think Sony focuses so much on making so many of them?

The thing is they don't really love them but Sony insist on having their Halo/CoD killer because $$$.

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

Pot, meet kettle.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#115  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@kellykelly said:

@RR360DD said:

@Vatusus said:

@mems_1224: Oh, because genetically modified supersoldiers that look like power rangers to fight aliens is such an original concept...

And I also played Killzone games and liked very much their gameplay. And I know what comes next: you say I have bad taste, my opinion is wrong, blah blah blah, been through this before so dont even bother

Sooo .. you call someone else ignorant, yet you don't have a clue what Halo is about.

Self owned again

Even though this is off-topic, I am going to say this anyway.

Clearly, you have not read any of the Halo books.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

And they are any different?

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#117 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Killzone will flop.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

100% correct. Killzone franchise is as generic as they come.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#119 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

The bad multiplayer in Gears is generic lol. KZ2>gears games. and yes i have 360 and gears games too, lame.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

@StrongDeadlift said:

@thegamer00 said:

Killzone series is one of the most generic shooter series of all time. Only behind Resistance.

Lol, how much you want to bet Cows would have hyped Homefront if it were a PS3 exclusive?

And from what I've observed, it's only the cows that rate it. Everyone else seems to be meh on it. Killzone just hasn't made much of an impact. In the huge world of shooters it doesn't stand out, I guess that's what is meant by generic. It's just a somewhat above average shooter nothing more.

Someone can't say that about Gears, because: 1. The world of decent third person shooters isn't nearly as big. 2. Gears made a huge impact on the genre.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#121  Edited By Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

love how you avoided putting ryse in the title

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Says EPIC GAMES that ditched their good franchise for a damn boring linear/shallow tps. Killzone 2 was far more fun than any gears game.

not that either sets any kind of bar.

Unreal Tournement was Epic's golden age.

Jack-Burton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Jack-Burton
Member since 2013 • 2435 Posts

KZ has always had a generic SP campaign but the fun MP balances it out.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

@Cyberdot said:

The irony is strong in this one.

Gears of War redefined a genre. What did Killzone do?

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#125 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Game looks good actually, I would get it if I was buying a PS4, but I was surprised to hear that there is no online co-op, that's pretty weak imo,....apparently you have to pay to get the co-op expansion later on, but it's still not possible to play co-op campaign from what I understand. I'm used to this now it has been a standard for a while with Gears and Halo games, which they implemented extremely well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#126 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

Bulls in glass houses or whatever.
Oh never mind, this guy is former People Can Fly and is currently working on The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

For whatever it's worth, with it's more freeform design, Shadow Fall looks like the first Killzone worth caring about, even if it probably will be pretty shooty and full of explosive scripted scenes.
Whenever people post that gif of the dude hanging onto a skytrain and watching a billion explosions behind him with the intent of pantsjizzing, I make the other kind of groan. I've been looking at pretty scripted things since Allied Assault or something. It doesn't really do anything for me any longer.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

All I see is jealous lemrats. Killzone SF will score well, sell over 4 million and no Xflop launch exclusives will come close to its success.

Sessler already said he was skeptical, but after PLAYING IT he believes Shadow Fall will be a very good game.

OK, I said it wasn't generic. But, I am going to reply to this craptastic thread anyway.

You cows have always touted Killzone as the "Playstation answer to Halo" - a achievement it has never, ever been able to live up to. Secondly, as for sales - we shall see Mr. Moo-cow.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Remember when Epic made good games?

yeah me neither.

Yea, I wonder if that dude manager to play the last Gears game. lmao

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#129 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

@Syn_Valence said:

@Jag85: it was very generic

...By today's standards. But for its own time, I certainly wouldn't call it "generic". A "dude-bro TPS", with over-the-shoulder view and cover system, wasn't exactly "generic" stuff back in 2006.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

who the f crowded Ryse as graphics king? wtf. Also, i loved Gears 1 and for its time it was very refreshing but after Gears 1 every gears was generic as fk, so he shouldn't be talking about 'genericness'. Every single gears of War title had the most generic story you would see in gaming as well, at least in KZ SF story looks half decent.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@waltefmoney said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

Gotta love hypocrites.

When Gears of War first came out there were barely any cover based TPS around. It redefined the entire genre, it was more imitated than pretty much any other game last gen. That's not being generic thats being influential.

Truthery.

Though the original game's color palette left a lot to be desired, but Epic had it down by Gears 3.

On the other hand, Killzone is as generic as they come, and its gameplay is mediocre to boot. It sure would be nice if Sony's first party could get their shit together and make a legitimately great shooter.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

@silversix_ said:

who the f crowded Ryse as graphics king? wtf. Also, i loved Gears 1 and for its time it was very refreshing but after Gears 1 every gears was generic as fk, so he shouldn't be talking about 'genericness'. Every single gears of War title had the most generic story you would see in gaming as well, at least in KZ SF story looks half decent.

The gears campaigns were still fun to play through and according to you every uncharted game after 1 was generic.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@DarkLink77 said:

@waltefmoney said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

Gotta love hypocrites.

When Gears of War first came out there were barely any cover based TPS around. It redefined the entire genre, it was more imitated than pretty much any other game last gen. That's not being generic thats being influential.

Truthery.

Though the original game's color palette left a lot to be desired, but Epic had it down by Gears 3.

On the other hand, Killzone is as generic as they come, and its gameplay is mediocre to boot. It sure would be nice if Sony's first party could get their shit together and make a legitimately great shooter.

You mean like Bioshock Infinite?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 DarkLink77

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@waltefmoney said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

Gotta love hypocrites.

Truthery.

I think Bioshock Infinite is a great game, yeah. I's got problems (the storytelling could be better, the pacing falls off for a bit in the middle, and the world isn't built as well as it was in the original), but it's nice to see an FPS with some ambition again, considering the genre is dominated by military shooters that all play the same goddamn way.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@DarkLink77 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@waltefmoney said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

Gotta love hypocrites.

Truthery.

I think Bioshock Infinite is a great game, yeah. I's got problems (the storytelling could be better, the pacing falls off for a bit in the middle, and the world isn't built as well as it was in the original), but it's nice to see an FPS with some ambition again, considering the genre is dominated by military shooters that all play the same goddamn way.

I found the shooting in that game absolutely dreadful, a total laborious bore to play through. It didn't help the level design was just so linear and a-z.

Something that i'm really impressed with in the new Killzone, as quite a few others have mentioned the size and scope of the environments as well as the layout of the levels seems to have received a major overhaul.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@DarkLink77 said:

@waltefmoney said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

Gotta love hypocrites.

Truthery.

There is hope. Now that the controller isn't complete shit for shooters there is a chance they can pull it off on the PS4.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By DarkLink77

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@waltefmoney said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

Gotta love hypocrites.

Truthery.

I found the shooting in that game absolutely dreadful, a total laborious bore to play through. It didn't help the level design was just so linear and a-z.

Something that i'm really impressed with in the new Killzone, as quite a few others have mentioned the size and scope of the environments as well as the layout of the levels seems to have received a major overhaul.

Well, to each his own. I thought the combat was fantastic.

Shadow Fall looks scripted as ****. People have been hyping up the size of the environments in Killzone for years, and they've always been linear games with boring ass level design. Nothing that they've shown so far has shown me that has changed.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@silversix_ said:

The gears campaigns were still fun to play through and according to you every uncharted game after 1 was generic.

every gears campaign was fun to play in co-op on insane, yes but what game isn't fun in co-op with buddies? Alone it was boring as ****. Uc is a chore for me now and i completed all three. Liked Uc but now im burned on them, do not want any sequels.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 mems_1224

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@waltefmoney said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

Gotta love hypocrites.

Truthery.

you just described every killzone game

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 DarkLink77

@mems_1224 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@waltefmoney said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

Gotta love hypocrites.

Truthery.

There is hope. Now that the controller isn't complete shit for shooters there is a chance they can pull it off on the PS4.

I think it has less to do with the controller and more to do with Guerilla being untalented.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@mems_1224 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@waltefmoney said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

Gotta love hypocrites.

Truthery.

Maybe, I haven't played any prior to Shadow fall.

But still, I didn't like Infinite much at all, especially as a shooter.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 mems_1224

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@waltefmoney said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

Gotta love hypocrites.

Truthery.

Maybe, I haven't played any prior to Shadow fall.

But still, I didn't like Infinite much at all, especially as a shooter.

It wasn't the best shooter but it was way better than the first bioshock.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 DarkLink77

@mems_1224 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@waltefmoney said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

Gotta love hypocrites.

Truthery.

I dunno, man. Killzone 2's gunplay was pretty ace. Admittedly, that was like the only thing the game had going for it, but still.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

maybe I should pick up kz2 for cheap sometime, especially since I can use the new Dualshock.

Supposedly it makes TLOU an even better experience.

jman1553

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 jman1553
Member since 2009 • 1332 Posts

@treedoor said:

He ain't lying

But Sony fans love their generic shooters. Why else do you think Sony focuses so much on making so many of them?

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

Xbox is THE console for generic shooters. Gears, Halo, and more people play CoD and Battlefield on Xbox than they do on PlayStation.

@Wasdie said:

Generic is the most meaningless term to label a video game. Applies for all games equally.

You think so? There are plenty of games I would not call "generic."

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
@kellykelly said:

@RR360DD said:

@Vatusus said:

Self owned again

Reminds me of Flopzone

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Gears had its moments... but the over all games are all a mix bag. Gears 3 was the only one that was actually good. I wouldn't call either of them generic though. Killzone needs better story telling, and better characters, but I always found the games to be very fun to play.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#148 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@StrongDeadlift said:

what I assume to be your favorite game, Uncharted

You assume wrong

Also gears was hevily influenced by Killswitch and Resident Evil 4. Halo was heavy influenced by PC twitch shooters. It did nothing that hasnt been done before. You must have started gaming on the xbox...

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#149  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@RR360DD said:

@Vatusus said:

Self owned again

Wait, are you saying Halo isnt about genitically modified soldiers named spartans who fight aliens named covenant? What part did I exactly got wrong? I beat the 1st Halo on PC and played some of every Halo besides ODST to know enough, especially to know that its lore and world is only interesting to 12yo or basement dweller geeks who still get excited about this kind of science fiction. Mass Effect did it way better than Halo will ever do.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@mems_1224 said:

both franchises are generic and shitty. at least gears is somewhat fun to play though.

I wouldn't say the new footage from KZ SF looks generic at all, they really have a beautiful artstyle going, the gameplay looks varied as well with multiple ways to tackle objectives and to move throughout the level. level design seems to have received a major boost.

Huge, huge step over the last 2 killzone games.

That's kinda what I digging about it.

..but back on topic.. A gears dev stating that something else looks generic is top of the hill ironic.. Judgement was about as generic as they come.