Gears of War 5 isn't going to do well........

• 55 results
#1 Posted by FastNslowww (186 posts) -

Reason being...it's just more of the same. The graphics looks no better than 4 and the gameplay will no doubt be very similar if not an exact copy. What i think needs to be done is an overhaul of new animations and just gunplay/gameplay. It needs to feel and look different yet still keep the core mechanics. I have no doubt in the mind that if cliffy b was still working on gears it would have evolved by now.

What are peoples thoughts, are you still hyped?

#2 Posted by lamprey263 (36052 posts) -

Last game looked great, changes coming will likely be in gameplay in enemy design. I think we'll see an evolution in enemies hinted at in last game, a melding together of swarm and DBs. I expect each game will make new additions to weapons. And a Horde mode on par with Gears 4 will satisfy me.

#3 Posted by Archangel3371 (27598 posts) -

I really enjoyed Gears of War 4 and what little was shown of Gears 5 at E3 looked great to me so yeah I’m hyped for this next game.

#4 Edited by npiet1 (2104 posts) -

Gears 5 is going to be fine. I'm pretty keen to see how the story is going to go.

#5 Posted by phbz (4334 posts) -

I don't know. I've seen very little of the game but DF made a comparison recently and graphically it appears to have lots of improvements.

#6 Posted by Chutebox (44496 posts) -

This series, like Uncharted, has run its course with me. The game play is just so...boring and stale to me. I'm sure people who like the series will like the game. But for me, zero chance I'll give two shits about it.

#7 Posted by BassMan (10039 posts) -

As long as it doesn't suck as bad as Halo 5, it will do alright.

#8 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18707 posts) -

I don't think so... I liked what they showed at E3. I think it looks promising. I liked the story and characters in 4, and 5 looks to build on that. Im all in.

#9 Posted by Ghost120x (5366 posts) -

It's hard to say this as a long time gears fan... The game looks meh. I wasn't a fan of where they were going with the plot in gears of war 4, and 5 looks even worse. I might be skipping this one.

#10 Edited by Alucard_Prime (10092 posts) -

I liked what I saw at E3 and the DF analysis of the demo footage showed significant graphical improvements compared to 4. The darker turn of the storyline is welcome, and I'll just wait until release to find out how the game turns out. This will be the game that really shows us what the Coalition is capable of... I hope they deliver.

I can understand their reluctance to change the formula too much for Gears 4, their mandate must have been to create a next Gen Gears game, but changing too much could alienate the core fans. The gameplay additions such as wall jumping and vertical sniping(Dropshot) were excellent additions, and I Want to see them make their mark more in 5. One of the things I really want is for them to add a little more style and pizzazz to the core move set. I don't want the roadie run to feel exactly the same as before, don't change it too much but put your own little original spin on it. For horde I want to see it expanded upon with more enemy variety. Looking forward to release

#11 Posted by Ant_17 (12169 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

This series, like Uncharted, has run its course with me. The game play is just so...boring and stale to me. I'm sure people who like the series will like the game. But for me, zero chance I'll give two shits about it.

That's why you skip a few games.

Last Gears i played was 2, so i can jump in the series like a brand new and confused fan.

#12 Posted by Chutebox (44496 posts) -
@Ant_17 said:
@Chutebox said:

That's why you skip a few games.

Last Gears i played was 2, so i can jump in the series like a brand new and confused fan.

Why would I when the gameplay just doesn't do it for me? it's why i didn't get that Uncharted expansion...or whatever it was. I can say confidently, unless there is a huge difference in gameplay, I will not play either again.

#13 Posted by thehig1 (7246 posts) -

@BassMan:

If Gears 5 does as well as Halo it would be an improvement on Gears 4

#14 Posted by pdogg93 (1530 posts) -

Gears 4 honestly felt like I was playing gears 1 with nicer graphics. The game has not evolved in the slightest. The story sucks, the characters were forgettable... it’s just a tired phone it in franchise.

Gears 5 looks like more of the same. I can’t believe people think this is a killer app lol. Only killer app for xbone is forza

#15 Posted by Basinboy (13847 posts) -

Gears is fine, it’s just a played-out franchise. Of MS’ pillar studios, The Coalition is the most resigned to mediocrity for having to be enslaved to making Gears games ad infinitum.

The Initiative is MS’ best hope at birthing a property of mass popularity.

#16 Posted by ProtossRushX (5246 posts) -

All microsoft does is add robots to halo and gears and replace blood to give it a kiddie rating just like the star wars prequels

#17 Posted by stuff238 (3284 posts) -

Gears 4 was a big disappointment.

It wasn’t as terrible as Judgement, but by god, they barely added anything new gameplay wise.

The story sucked too.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#18 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4357 posts) -

The game looks really good. If it doesn't do well, chalk it up to the typical Xbox fan apathy and sexism. I rather play as Kait for a change than the other meatnecks.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#19 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12721 posts) -
@BenjaminBanklin said:

The game looks really good. If it doesn't do well, chalk it up to the typical Xbox fan apathy and sexism. I rather play as Kait for a change than the other meatnecks.

Kait was the only interesting new character in 4.

#20 Edited by QuadKnight (12916 posts) -

It’s a dying tired franchise. There was nothing that stood out from its showing at E3, anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves. It’s more Gears as usual. Lems will eat it up but most people have moved on, it’s the same old tired shit.

#21 Posted by freedomfreak (51146 posts) -
@BenjaminBanklin said:

HAahahaahaaaa

#22 Posted by j2zon2591 (3571 posts) -

@quadknight said:

It’s a dying tired franchise. There was nothing that stood out from its showing at E3, anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves. It’s more Gears as usual. Lems will eat it up but most people have moved on, it’s the same old tired shit.

kinda makes me think of uncharted with the wide view sailing (I expect a weaker version of UC4's chase cinematics) and implied verticality when the girl rappelled. I'd play the SP of GeoW5 if I still had my OG XB1 though since I want more AAA SP TPS.

#23 Posted by robert_sparkes (2941 posts) -

I think gears 5 will do very well the change in direction from what we saw at E3 has me convinced.

#24 Posted by scatteh316 (10137 posts) -
@quadknight said:

^ This....... They should of retired it after the 3rd game but lack of new IP'a and idea's from Microsoft have forced them to keep it alive against it's will.

#25 Posted by freedomfreak (51146 posts) -

Just wish it went back to being a shooter about bros. Delta Squad was the shit.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
#26 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (10050 posts) -

The single player is probably not going to be all that refreshing but it's multiplayer is generally unmatched in the 3rd person shooter space. If multiplayer isn't great then yeah, it won't do well.

#27 Posted by SecretPolice (35108 posts) -

It won't do well, it will do Fan-tastic...Can't hardly wait for this mofo..

Trust me, I attend the meetings. :P

#28 Posted by avenger85 (207 posts) -

Gears 4 added a bunch of improvements to horde mode. And the movement and balancing of the weapons in versus is a lot better than gears 3.

The Single player campaign in 4 was okay but defiantly its weakest link. If 5 can improve the campaign and make horde/versus good it will be an awesome title. (Sorry for any typos it’s eaely in the morning and havnt had my caffeine fill yet)

#29 Posted by PinchySkree (1205 posts) -

@scatteh316 said:
@quadknight said:

^ This....... They should of retired it after the 3rd game but lack of new IP'a and idea's from Microsoft have forced them to keep it alive against it's will.

#30 Posted by AsadMahdi59 (7103 posts) -

Don't care about campaign/story at this point. Getting through 4 was a struggle. May or may not play 5's.

Online multiplayer was well done (getting rid of wingman was stupid and it better comeback) and horde was pretty addictive. I do hope they tone down the microtransaction/ lootbox stuff - seems like that was a big sticking point for a lot of people. Long as they don't screw up the online it'll be ok.

#31 Posted by ahmedkhan1994 (713 posts) -
@fastnslowww said:

Reason being...it's just more of the same. The graphics looks no better than 4 and the gameplay will no doubt be very similar if not an exact copy. What i think needs to be done is an overhaul of new animations and just gunplay/gameplay. It needs to feel and look different yet still keep the core mechanics. I have no doubt in the mind that if cliffy b was still working on gears it would have evolved by now.

What are peoples thoughts, are you still hyped?

soooo your asking for another Gears Judgement? Please no, ill take traditional gears any day.

#32 Posted by Wiiboxstation (1378 posts) -

This will be my next Xbone game purchase.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#33 Edited by Blackhairedhero (3221 posts) -

It will sell the least of all Gears games guranteed outside of maybe judgement.

#34 Posted by The-A-Baum (1330 posts) -

This is why Sony fanboys are the most Toxic than any other. Openly hating just because it's not your platform of choice.

Gears 4 is amazing looking on the S with HDR and even better on the X!

It also has some of the best multiplayer fun around but cows would know nothing about that. I love Gears, you don't? Your loss.

#35 Posted by Litchie (23718 posts) -

I'm pretty sure the game will do fairly well. It's got enough fans.

#36 Posted by cainetao11 (36500 posts) -

@phbz said:

I don't know. I've seen very little of the game but DF made a comparison recently and graphically it appears to have lots of improvements.

I was going to bring that up. DF sees the graphics improvements but TC doesn't. Oh well LOL

All anyone has seen is a trailer with glimpses of melee combat in the game. I don't expect major changes to Gears core gameplay. They would lose the MP gamers that play and compete in it.

In short, I think Gears 5 will do better than TC thinks.

#37 Posted by Megavideogamer (6473 posts) -

I will buy Gears of War 5. It is one of my guilty pleasures. For Gears of War to "progress" maybe not really needed. Since it is just "big Dumb fun" third person shooter.

#38 Posted by Tigerbalm (1072 posts) -

The last one shirty, so I guess 5 will be more shit.

#39 Posted by pdogg93 (1530 posts) -

@the-a-baum: you’re wrong. A lot of Sony fans like myself have actually played gears. Gears 4 was mediocre at best. Stop crying Just because you can’t handle the fact that you bought into a shit system.

#40 Posted by Ten_Pints (3760 posts) -

Not exactly a system seller any more is it, nobody cares about it.

#41 Edited by I_AM_MEGATRON (427 posts) -

already preodered, can't wait. gears is the only reason why i own an xbox one.

#42 Posted by The-A-Baum (1330 posts) -

@pdogg93 said:

@the-a-baum: you’re wrong. A lot of Sony fans like myself have actually played gears. Gears 4 was mediocre at best. Stop crying Just because you can’t handle the fact that you bought into a shit system.

Gears 4 is a blast. Best multi player of all the games yet. And I liked the story. Again the likes of you like to play games alone would not appreciate the fun of multiplayer.

We don't have to agree. I will sleep just fine tonight.

#43 Posted by pdogg93 (1530 posts) -

@the-a-baum: great opinion.

#44 Posted by Archangel3371 (27598 posts) -

@the-a-baum: Agreed. I enjoyed the story in Gears 4 as well and the multiplayer is the best in the series. I’m really looking forward to seeing this continue in Gears 5.

#45 Posted by djoffer (1222 posts) -

Oh my a thread bashing a Xbox game created by a gigantic cow, and full of all the usual pathetic cows agreeing with op! We never seen that before....

#46 Posted by lhughey (4635 posts) -

I love Gears. Its my favorite franchise purely for its MP. Gears 5 will be great because the MP is steady.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#47 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28861 posts) -

Gears 5 looks more interesting than 4.

#48 Posted by BigBadBully (2150 posts) -

Always enjoy campaign co-op and horde mode in Gears franchise. I believe Gears 5 will do just fine.

#49 Posted by clone01 (27440 posts) -

@ProtossRushX said:

All microsoft does is add robots to halo and gears and replace blood to give it a kiddie rating just like the star wars prequels

do you alctually believe the stupid shit you post?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#50 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12721 posts) -
@the-a-baum said:

This is why Sony fanboys are the most Toxic than any other. Openly hating just because it's not your platform of choice.

Gears 4 is amazing looking on the S with HDR and even better on the X!

It also has some of the best multiplayer fun around but cows would know nothing about that. I love Gears, you don't? Your loss.

I actually enjoy MP shooters. Gears MP always sucked and was never anything more than a shotgun fest full of meathead players.

Halo had some great MP up until 4 when 343 killed the franchise.

These days both franchises have small cult-like communities left at best. Games like Rainbow Six, Fortnite, Overwatch and CoD dominate the MP scene and guess what? They all have more players on PS4 than Xbone which is why MS is begging Sony to allow crossplay.