Gears of War 1 and 2 are the best TPS games of all time.

• 173 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Gears of War 1 and 2 are the best TPS games of all time. (158 votes)

Yes I agree, it's the best franchise in the genre presently 22%
No 46%
Clearly Uncharted is better because Cow go moo. 17%
It's one of the best, But I would not say it's the greatest. 15%

Here's one more interesting thing I found to be quite surprising. Apparently according to GR and MC with the universal critics WW, Gears of War 1 and 2 are the best third-person shooters of all time.

Now this was something i was not expected although i did believe the first one would be high on the list for it inspiring the majority of TPS this gen but I am amazed that Gears 1 and 2 are considered the peak and cream of the crop. (MC has RDR accidentally labeled as a TPS for some reason)

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/genre/metascore/third-person/all?view=condensed

http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=&cat=80&year=0&numrev=0&sort=0&letter=&search=

Do you AGREE?

• 
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#52  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44552 Posts

no, but Gears 1 was pretty bad ass when it released, and I didn't much care for the Gears 2 or 3 campaigns but the Horde mode is a blast to play with friends

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 NineTailedGoku
Member since 2012 • 1977 Posts

@Mkavanaugh77: So you're using one guys opinion to validate your opinion....

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

Max Payne and Gears of War are the best third person shooters in existence.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

Gears 2/3 Campaign > Gears 1 campaign

Gears 3 horde>gears 2 horde > no horde in gears 1

Versus modes IDK, I really only played it in 3- but I absolutely love it... I would switch Gears 1 with 3

I give Gears the edge over Uncharted b/c of its full co-op campaign and the versus of Gears 3. Haven't played TLOU

The later PS2 Ratchet's qualify as TPS (when played with a certain control scheme anyways) I pick them for my favorites.Oh and RE4 aswell. There's also Warhawk. So I voted the last option

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

@ImBatman- said:

Awful damage control for the 360's terrible year.

Ouch. Truth hurts.

monsterpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By monsterpuncher
Member since 2013 • 177 Posts

Gears of War is one of the most barebones, most basic, most restrictive, and most repetitive shooters ever!

You are literally doing nothing in a Gears game but going to one piece of cover, popping out for a shot, then going to the next piece of cover, and repeating the same thing over and over again until add nasuem occurs, then zzzzzzz occurs..

Plus the controls are so unresponsive, clunky, and tank like in Gears, it literally is a chore just to control!

So not only does Gears have awful, generic, repetitive, shallow, and restrictive barebones gunplay/gameplay,

BUT Gears also tries to be a story driven game, yet some how fails even worse at that.

The stories are horrendous, poorly done, and the dialogue is just cringe worthy.

There are so many cut scenes in Gears where you get complete control taken away from you too.

Gears is literal garbage through and through. Its a "game" built on cliches after cliches as well. I have never played a more boring and restrictive shooter in my life IMO.

Gears is the single most over rated big budget game of all time

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ Mkavanaugh77

Judgement brought plenty new to the series, people just weren't ready for a change. they weren't ready for campaign handycap challenge modes, and merging beast with horde mode and classes in the multiplayer. Mechanicly speaking Judgment is a fantastic game just as good as the trilogy.

It takes so much away and gives virtually nothing back. Whether or not you liked the campaign of 1-3, they had a scale and sense to them. Judgment's campaign works like this.

Clear room of enemies. Maybe you complete and option objective that makes things harder (there's about 6 different objectives like reduced vision or use only this weapon). Rinse repeat, rinse repeat. Then the final boss is a fucking cripple and his biological wheelchair. No hype and no excitement. But the campaign just wasn't the worst of all time. Oh no.

They took the most popular MP mode by far and scrapped it. Took another interesting new mode and scrapped it. Then they gave use Overrun. Now, I admit that gametype was actually fun. Granted, it's obvious they poured 99% of their MP effort into it. It still isn't good enough because horde was popular because it was purely co-op and overrun is pvp. don't try and say the bot only sub they put in judgment is good enough because it's not the same gametype and the objective isn't survival. Another problem is this new gametype required special maps, so when they decided to con the fans and only make 8 MP maps at launch, only half were even for competitive gametypes.

On top of this, they super buffed rifles which nobody wanted, they got rid of downing and active reloads which were series staples (and nobody wanted this change), and they removed the locust team so everyone was now a human (and nobody wanted this).

The devs contantly lied to the fanbase on their forums and the DLC all proved to be a ripoff. By the time all of it came out, the game just barely had almost as much content in it as Gears of War 3 did when it initially launched. No new MP characters, just about 4 new maps for competitive and like 2 new Overrun maps. A couple of new gametypes.

And I remember when they asked fans on their forum to ask which maps they wanted back. Later, they turned around and said "sorry you all voted for these maps, but we were lazy, so we're only going to port Gears of War 3 maps". Oh, but Blood Drive was in Gears 2. Yeah maybe it was. They brought that crappy map nobody liked back twice.

The game was abandoned pretty much only 1 month after launch and Gears 3 actually saw a boost in players. Not even those overpriced map packs could really bump the player count any.

-

TL:DR Gears of War Judgment sucks and it's all because Epic killed their game by half-assing it and mistreating their own fanbase. Now the franchise itself is pretty much dead.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts

Well, Max payne 3, vanquish, resident evil, and uncharted....????

monsterpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By monsterpuncher

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ KellyKelly

Actually no. Both those games feature optional stealth segments, Uncharted and TLOU couldn't beat Gears at its own game so they spliced two genre mechanics together. Its a Third Person Stealth optional shooter, but as far as the actual "shooting fuckers in the face" goes, Gears Of War does that the Best.

p.s you have clearly never played the Last of Us, because if you did, you would know stealth is much more integral to Last of Us, then it is to Uncharted, and that the stealth is much more fleshed out in Last of Us (then it is in Uncharted)

Hell, Last of Us has awesome stealth mechanics as it is - its very organic and rich. You can play cat and mouse with enemies as you pick them off one by one, use distractions and manuver in to sneak kill, set traps with bombs, throw items to running meele combos...so fluid too. Its also very adaptive. Lets say you get caught, well you still have options.You can runaway, lose enemies with smart tactics and re strategize / or go on the offensive provided you have the resources and crafted offensive items etc. You can awlays mix it up between both play styles too. So exhilarating

Last of Us has much better stealth then the Splinter Cell games lol...and stealth is just one piece of the puzzle that makes up the revolutionary combat in Last of Us! Its revolutionary for how it comes together and plays so unlike anything else out there!

(Its amazing how Naughty Dog reinvents gameplay of any genre they decide to tackle-action adventure with Uncharted, now survival horror combat with Last of Us. Naughty Dog are the best gameplay designers out there too. Dont let their prowess in other areas fool you. Naughty Dog is the best AT IT ALL)

As for the rest of your post.

You got to be trolling...or maybe you are just another delusional xbot who believes his own BS.

Gears of War has truly shitty gunplay-no hit detection on enemies. Slow clunky tank like controls. Bullet sponge enemies etc.

Last of Us has FAR SUPERIOR gun play to Gears. FAR SUPERIOR. Far tighter. Far more responsive. Far more impactful.

Never mind that combat in Last of Us is far more open, dynamic, and gives you far more options and tools to play with.

Gears is like a game for toddlers in comparion to Last of Us.

Last of Us doenst hold your hand in gameplay or in story, has 1 hit kills, scarce ammo, deep combat backed by item resoruce management gameplay etc.

Last of Us is a game for mature adults and its literal ART too.

While Gears holds your hand at evey turn.Gears is the epitome of the big shallow AAA shooter, and its ugly.

Gears isnt even in the same solar system as Last of Us.

Last of Us is one of the greatest games of all time. It has the best story and characters ive ever seen in a game. It has the most intense brutal dynamic combat ive ever played, the best gunplay etc. NOTHING comes close to the perfect package that is the Last of Us. Last of Us is as flawless as a game can be. NOTHING comes close to it. Naughty Gods indeed.

Hell, Gears doesnt even have better gameplay then Uncharted (the speed and smoothness of Uncharted, plus verticality factor in its combat gives Uncharted its edge over Gears. Gears is just a static boring shallow repetitive pop and shoot shooter from cover to cover corridor to corridor and cover to cover etc)

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#62 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

One of the best. My favorites this Gen were gears 3, mp3, grfs. And Lu Lu, I agree on judgment. Nowhere as "bad"as people cry about. Same for gears 2.

monsterpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 monsterpuncher

Gears is the reason why people hate on linear cinematic games.

Gears did it ALL WRONG. Gears and even Halo now too are overly linear corridor scripted shoot fests.

Gears and Halo deserve all that hate and more..

But games like God of War and Metal Gear Solid DO IT RIGHT and deserve praise, especially Uncharted which is at the pinnacle and is the game that redefined action adventure. Uncharted revolutionzed this gen.

monsterpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By monsterpuncher

@handssss said:

@Mkavanaugh77 said:

@kellykelly said:

@Mkavanaugh77 said:

@kellykelly said:

Don't even compare that garbage to the amazing masterpieces called Uncharted and TLOU

How is Gears, a AAA series garbage?

Im pretty sure, gears 1,2 and 3 scored 9 or better while TLOU scored a 8

Howabout they are all great games.

sucks to be a fanboy

Sorry, Metacritic is the industry standard.

Cool, Gears 1,2 and 3 are AAA on metacritic as well

Uncharted 2 and 3 are AAA not the first one though so gear seriess beats Uncharted series there and beats uncharted on G as well

Last Of Us flopped here and scored much lower than Gears series. On metacritic it is only one point higher than the first Gears Of War (nothing to brag about)

Metacritic says Gears OF WAr series is better than Uncharted series and that The Last Of Us is a whole ONE point higher than the first Gears Of War game, but all three Gears games are AAA which I would think having 3 AAA games on your system is better than having one AAA game that only has a point higher.

Just because a game came out first doesn't exclude the fact another game scored higher. On Metacritic, Uncharted 2 is higher than both Gears 1 and 2. UC 3 is higher than Gears of War 3.

This this and this. Beautifully said!

Uncharted 2 has a much higher score then ANY single Gears game. Uncharted 3 scored higher then Gears 3. And even the "lowest" scoring Uncharted game-Uncharted 1, has a higher score then Gears Judgment

Uncharted is more critically acclaimed then Gears and thats just a fact.

I like the way @Mkavanaugh77 tries to spin it. He also says its good not to be a fanboy YET his posts read like xbox fanboy posts jumping to defend anything xbox etc

People like him are the worst- people who say they arent fanboys and get on others cases for being fanboys yet the real fanboy is them.

Mkavanaugh77 is a blatant xbox fanboy troll.

Also if you look at user reviews. Each Uncharted game has a higher user rating then any Gears game...

So its clear what series gamers like more, its Uncharted!

Lastly, its funny that he mentions that Last of Us is only 1 point higher then Gears 1..

There is two big things wrong with that.

1. "Just 1 point" is still HUGE. It would take over 10 perfect reviews to budge the percentages

2. Gears 1 scored a 94 at the begining of this gen back when standards were much lower and when anything "shiney" was impressive.

Gears 1 wouldnt even get more then an 80 in todays time. The 95 score of Last of Us in todays time under much harsher standards means a lot more and is much more impressive

Just imagine if The Last of Us came out during the time of Gears 1....LOL Last of Us would literally get a 100 on MC and would blow heads

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

Unreal Championship 2 is better.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

I agree that it is probably the best splitscreen TPS ever made, but there are much better singleplayer TPSs.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#68 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

TLoU is the best TPS thus far released, ever. Yes, I'm 100% serious. And yes, I realize it's not dedicated to the genre. Doesn't change the fact that it has the best gunplay yet seen in gaming. It's not only great, in fact, it's downright revolutionary.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By MirkoS77

@monsterpuncher: Amen to that, brother! I thought I'd be the only one throwing one up for TLoU. All other shooters pale in comparison.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ monsterpuncher

Actually I clearly did play The Last Of Us. And I run and gun my way through it. Especially after the 1st season because by then I had a fucking arsenal. TLOU and Uncharted featured more bullet sponges than Gears did. In Gears anything with a head can be killed with a singles well placed headshot from the Longshot except the Boomers. Gears has co-op because Friendly AI just doesn't work in any game including The Last Of Us. Gears has weaponless playable monsters (corpsers, tickers, wreches bloodmounds, and beserkers) in Beast mode. Gears has a fully funcioning cover system, complete with swat rolls, cover switching, quick turns, mounts and sprints all from a single button, simple and effective . The Last Of Us has three different buttons for crouching, Sprinting (contextual), and clearing obstacles and no blind fire, plus the fucking weapon sway is irritating.. Also how can say a game is a better Third Person Shooter because it has stealth mechanics ? Stealth is the exact oppasite of shooting. truthh be told The Last Of us only has two things over Gears as a TPS: its AI can be fooled and you get more oppertunities for melee, thats it. As for uncharted 2, its weapons are abolute crap, they look cheap and feel wrong plus theres redundant weapons that require different types of Ammunition. In gears each weapon is unique.

monsterpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By monsterpuncher

@sts106mat said:

brofists still upset that Gears set the standard for TPS this gen and uncharted would have featured floating turtles if it had not been such a success.

NO, RE4 set the standard for TPS.. Killswitch also did alot for the TPS genre etc....Gears in fact was just a blatant copy cat of Killswitch.....what Gears did was lower the standard!

Uncharted raised the standard back to where it was! Last of Us simply took it all to the NEXT LEVEL

And NO, Gears didnt inspire Uncharted. Stop with that non sense. Look at early trailers of Uncharted. Said trailers were being shown wayy before Gears had ever came out, and Uncharted in those early trailers was already showing off a smooth cover system(much smoother then the eventual cover system in Gears) and grittier gun play etc

IF anything, Gears 2 and Gears 3 tried to be like Uncharted...but of course could never hold a candle to Uncharted

monsterpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By monsterpuncher

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ monsterpuncher

Actually I clearly did play The Last Of Us And I run and gun my way through it.

Yep, just like i said, you clearly have never played The Last of Us. From normal mode on and up, trying to run and gun gets you killed 98% of the time.

Also, it always takes 2-3 hits to the body to kill an enemey in Last of Us....and of course 1 head shot will always get the job done....

It looks like you have never played Gears either though because many times it can take your whole clip to kill an enemy in Gears lol

Gears has one of the worst cases of bullet sponge enemies ever. Never mind trying to say that Last of Us has worse or more bullet sponge enemies. That is straight delusional talk.

And then the biggest thing is that enemies react to your bullets in Last of Us...as do you the player react to bullets too...where as enemies/players in Gears have NO HIT DETECTION

NOT to mention Gears is one of the clunkiest, most sluggish, unresponsive TPS ever.

Last of Us is just much tighter, much more responsive, guns feel much stronger and have an OMPH to them that guns in Gears severely lack, enemies have great hit detection, YOU the player have hit detection etc....Its a no contest

(You can also make quicker turns and do side steps a whole lot easier in Last of Us so lol at you touting quck turns in Gears. Its more like tank turns in Gears. Characters in Gears literally control like mini tanks)

I mean, Gears has SHIT CONTROLS AND SHITTY GUNPLAY on its own.

Last of Us has the FAR SUPERIOR gunplay and controls to Gears. Like i said, its not even remotely close. In fact Last of Us has THE greatest GUN PLAY and controls of ANY TPS ever, despite the fact Last of Us isnt a TPS lol.

And as for the combat in Gears, it consists of NOTHING but the same old shallow non sense-pop and shot pop and shoot pop and shoot. Its like a boring whack a mole style of shooting from cover to cover, literally as if on rails. But it has lots of unnecessary gore so xbots claim its "omg so cool." Gears is just awful in every way!

You even list rolling as a gameplay feature in Gears lol. Thats reaching. Do you really think anyone is impressed by that either lol. EVERY game of old has had rolling. You are simply pathetic.

When you go out of your way to list nonsensical "gameplay features" in Gears such as "rolling, cover switching, quick turns, mounts and sprints" - all low level basic features in most games OF OLD, then thats when you know Gears has shit gameplay lol. You are reaching far and wide to over hype it or to try to make it contend with Last of Us when it simply cant etc.

Hell, you asked me what the deep and great stealth mechanics in the Last of Us have to do with its shooting...well what does rolling and all the other nonsensical things you listed have to do with gun play in Gears?

Exactly! Owned by your own "logic"

And here is the thing, in Gears when you are not shooting from cover to cover ALL you can do is roll or meele.

In the Last of Us, not only does it have the MUCH better gun play by far, when you are not shooting in Last of Us, you can do a lot more /better things then just roll or run lol. You can stealth (great stealth mechanics) brawl, meele, hit with items, throw items for distractions in stealth, use bombs to set traps, throw items to running meele combos, mixtures of it all etc

Last of Us is a MUCH DEEPER game on a gameplay level then Gears is, its not even funny how much deeper it is. Its MUCH MUCH MUCH deeper.

The combat in Last of Us is far more open, dynamic, and requires much more srategy as well.

I.e as the combat in Last of Us is even backed by item resouce management gameplay and a real time crafting system. There is startegy in when is the appropiate time to craft and do you craft for offensive or defensive items to take with you into combat. Which ever suites your play style...and the thing is you can still mix it up....crafting offensive items or defensive only serves to make that play style easier, NOT over power etc. Balance is great.

Not to mention that human encounters play out differently to enouncters with the infected in Last of Us. Each have their own naunces. So there is just so much over all depth to the combat in Last of Us. Enemies will even react to what you do leading to encounters that can always play out differently depending on what you do.

Last of Us has REVOLUTIONARY combat gameplay for just that alone too. Last of Us has gameplay that is unmatched by any third person game ever.

Gears truly is and feels like a dumbed down game for toddlers in comparison to Last of Us (gameplay wise and story wise)

P.S

The "functional" cover system in Gears is garbage too. The contexual cover system in Last of Us is MUCH BETTER, allows for more fluid movement around corners and areas....and the fact there is no button for it lets you just focus on the actual act of combat and strategy -also frees up room for more actions/buttons

Like i already said,Gears isnt in the same solar system as Last of Us. Gears isnt even better then Uncharted, never mind Last of Us

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#74 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Gears 3 beats them both, and even then, Resident Evil 4 beats them all. The TPS king.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By MirkoS77

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ monsterpuncher

Actually I clearly did play The Last Of Us. And I run and gun my way through it. Especially after the 1st season because by then I had a fucking arsenal. TLOU and Uncharted featured more bullet sponges than Gears did. In Gears anything with a head can be killed with a singles well placed headshot from the Longshot except the Boomers. Gears has co-op because Friendly AI just doesn't work in any game including The Last Of Us. Gears has weaponless playable monsters (corpsers, tickers, wreches bloodmounds, and beserkers) in Beast mode. Gears has a fully funcioning cover system, complete with swat rolls, cover switching, quick turns, mounts and sprints all from a single button, simple and effective . The Last Of Us has three different buttons for crouching, Sprinting (contextual), and clearing obstacles and no blind fire, plus the fucking weapon sway is irritating.. Also how can say a game is a better Third Person Shooter because it has stealth mechanics ? Stealth is the exact oppasite of shooting. truthh be told The Last Of us only has two things over Gears as a TPS: its AI can be fooled and you get more oppertunities for melee, thats it. As for uncharted 2, its weapons are abolute crap, they look cheap and feel wrong plus theres redundant weapons that require different types of Ammunition. In gears each weapon is unique.

The Last of Us is a superior shooter against all others because of one simple factor: getting hit takes control out of the player's hands for 2-3 seconds and knocks Joel on his ass. Emphasis is placed on defensive play just as much as it is offensive. I'm tired of playing shooters where getting hit is not even a concern aside from the screen growing a darker shade of red until death (which is always easily fixable by popping pills). It's suicidal in TLoU to rush an enemy far away who's armed because Joel will get hit over and over and he will be uncontrollable while doing so. As it should be.

With Gears, Max Payne, and every other TPS on the market you can just slowly stroll towards enemies who are filling you with lead with no concern while at the same time unloading a clip into their face. And the screen turns red. Wow. How in God's name can people consider such gameplay to constitute a good shooter? The player should never be allowed to return fire when shot. Why is it that supposedly "great" shooters only reward good offensive play while ignoring effective defensive play? Shouldn't it be just as vital to not get hit as to hit? Isn't suppression fire part of a gunfight? Not in any TPS I've played....except TLoU.

After playing TLoU I just can't go back to other TPSes because they are neglecting half of the equation. It's boring.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#76 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

It's one of the best third person series for sure. Not sure why you didn't mention Gears 3. It's easily up with Gears 1 and 2.

monsterpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By monsterpuncher

@MirkoS77 said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ monsterpuncher

The Last of Us is a superior shooter against all others because of one simple factor: getting hit takes control out of the player's hands for 2-3 seconds and knocks Joel on his ass. Emphasis is placed on defensive play just as much as it is offensive. I'm tired of playing shooters where getting hit is not even a concern aside from the screen growing a darker shade of red until death (which is always easily fixable by popping pills). It's suicidal in TLoU to rush an enemy far away who's armed because Joel will get hit over and over and he will be uncontrollable while doing so. As it should be.

With Gears, Max Payne, and every other TPS on the market you can just slowly stroll towards enemies who are filling you with lead with no concern while at the same time unloading a clip into their face. And the screen turns red. Wow. How in God's name can people consider such gameplay to constitute a good shooter? The player should never be allowed to return fire when shot. Why is it that supposedly "great" shooters only reward good offensive play while ignoring effective defensive play? Shouldn't it be just as vital to not get hit as to hit? Isn't suppression fire part of a gunfight? Not in any TPS I've played....except TLoU.

After playing TLoU I just can't go back to other TPSes because they are neglecting half of the equation. It's boring.

Amen to this my brother:)

You brought up such a great point that had yet to cross my mind but when i started to think about all the other TPS ive played compared to when I played Last of Us.... its sooo true....you are 100% correct

"The Last of Us is a superior shooter against all others because of one simple factor: getting hit takes control out of the player's hands for 2-3 seconds and knocks Joel on his ass. Emphasis is placed on defensive play just as much as it is offensive. I'm tired of playing shooters where getting hit is not even a concern aside from the screen growing a darker shade of red until death (which is always easily fixable by popping pills). It's suicidal in TLoU to rush an enemy far away who's armed because Joel will get hit over and over and he will be uncontrollable while doing so. As it should be."

^ I could not have said it better my self right there

Pretty amazing how Last of Us has the BEST gunplay of any TPS ever, despite not being a TPS.

Naughty Dog puts all these developers to shame in the gameplay department

monsterpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By monsterpuncher

@MirkoS77 said:

@monsterpuncher: Amen to that, brother! I thought I'd be the only one throwing one up for TLoU. All other shooters pale in comparison.

Haha thank you:) We wont be the last to. Im sure it will get the props it deserves.

Last of Us has the best combat of ANY game ive ever played. Combat so intense, brutal, and dynamic - backed by item resource managment and real time crafting systems. I had never experienced anything like it before. People do give credit to the excellent gameplay in Last of Us...but damnit...Last of Us still doesnt get half the credit it deserves for its gameplay....because the gameplay in Last of Us was truly something special. I completely feel the same way as you, Last of Us was revolutionary for its gameplay alone........never mind the amazing story and then the way both came together so perfectly.....Last of Us reaches a god tier status NO game has ever come close to reaching or will ever reach IMO. They are called Naughty Gods for a reason...and ONLY Naughty Dog will ever be able to top Last of Us

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#79  Edited By x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts

Vanquish is the best TPS I've played.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

Lol, lemmings/xbots and their irrational hard on for Gears of War.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 MirkoS77

@monsterpuncher said:

Haha thank you:) We wont be the last to. Im sure it will get the props it deserves.

Last of Us has the best combat of ANY game ive ever played. Combat so intense, brutal, and dynamic - backed by item resource managment and real time crafting systems. I had never experienced anything like it before. People do give credit to the excellent gameplay in Last of Us...but damnit...Last of Us still doesnt get half the credit it deserves for its gameplay....because the gameplay in Last of Us was truly something special. Last of Us was revolutionary for its gameplay alone......I say it with you loud and proud......never mind the amazing story and then the way both came together so perfectly.....Last of Us reaches a god tier status NO game has ever come close to reaching or will ever reach IMO. They are called Naughty Gods for a reason...and ONLY Naughty Dog will ever be able to top Last of Us

Yup.

I know TLoU has been highly praised overall but I don't see that much praise given to its gunfights and in fact see many complaints. The gunplay in it is not only fun, it's outright exhilarating and some of the most intense I've ever experienced in any game, and I've been gaming for 28 years. Whenever I get to a part that has you fighting humans (after the truck crash, for example) I continually reload my save to play again. When the A.I. is good it's incredibly satisfying to engage enemies.

I can understand games like Gears where you have 10 enemies rushing you at once that TLoU's gunplay really wouldn't be suitable as it's more realistic, but for something such as Max Payne or Uncharted I hope they expand upon this foundation and engine they've built. Admittedly some of the mechanics are a bit clunky and need tweaking, but it's a great start. But damnit, I want a shooter that severely penalizes getting hit and would make the game nigh unplayable if approached in the manner TPSes have traditionally played for years now. It's time to evolve the genre and Naughty Dog took a large first step.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#82 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

No way. I much prefer max payne 1 and 2.

Now those were some damn good games.

I've played Max Payne 1 on PC.

It's not a good game.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#83  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

No way. I much prefer max payne 1 and 2.

Now those were some damn good games.

I've played Max Payne 1 on PC.

It's not a good game.

Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
GhettoBlastin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 GhettoBlastin92
Member since 2012 • 1231 Posts

Gears 1 was great. Gears 2 was a glitch filled mess.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#85 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

They're fun. But not the best.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#86  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Best TPS so far is Vanquish when it comes to gunplay

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Gears of War 1 gameplay was solid, but the story was shallow as hell.

Uncharted and even the new Tomb Raider are superior TPS games by far.

Avatar image for supercowelitist
SuperCowElitist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#88 SuperCowElitist
Member since 2013 • 732 Posts

Gears Of War is a good game, but whats the point in playing Gears OF war Sequel when it will just be similar to the first gears game. Games like uncharted would be the better choice for gamers; it offer story, gameplay, multiplayer.

monsterpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By monsterpuncher

Last of Us is without question the greatest TPS of all time

What is amazing about that too is that the Last of Us is not even a TPS. The Last of Us has the BEST gunplay of any TPS ever despite not being a TPS

Naughty Dog with The Last of Us puts all other developers to shame in the gameplay department. No one gets gameplay design like Naughty Dog

monsterpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By monsterpuncher

Any best of all time lists without Last of Us = automatic FAIL

Cali3350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Cali3350
Member since 2003 • 16134 Posts

Max Payne

Max Payne 2

Resident Evil 4

Your top there right there (in no particular order). I do not see Gears present.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@monsterpuncher said:

What is amazing about that too is that the Last of Us is not even a TPS. The Last of Us has the BEST gunplay of any TPS ever despite not being a TPS

Naughty Dog with The Last of Us puts all other developers to shame in the gameplay department. No one gets gameplay design like Naughty Dog

How can it be the greatest TPS if it's not one?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#93 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

SOCOM wins.

TruthArisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 TruthArisen
Member since 2013 • 403 Posts

If Vanquish, Uncharted, and The Last of Us didn't exist....they might stand a shot. Might.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

Nah, no where near. Gears does the basics brilliantly, gives you great gun mechanics, nice graphics, some interesting weapons and some over the top violence and moments in the singleplayer and strong competitive multiplayer. Bit like the CoD of the TPS market. Lacks any story and plot, has fairly average level design, bland art style and some of the most one dimensional characters in gaming.

Needs a shake up if i'm going to dip into it again. Personally i'd love them to kill it off and go a different direction using similar gunplay but a revamp of everything else.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 MirkoS77

@MonsieurX said:

@monsterpuncher said:

How can it be the greatest TPS if it's not one?

How is it not a TPS when it has TPS gameplay in it? It may not be the primary focus but it's still there.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#97  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I really liked the multiplayer of Gears of War 1 in its prime. There was nothing else like it and that was the best TPS multiplayer. Other games have better single player. After that, only the single player and co-op aspect of Gears of War 2 appealed to me. I was disappointed by Gears of War 3's online multiplayer because there are more than four players a team. That is too many for that Gears of War.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#98  Edited By biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Last of Us isn't a traditional shooter so I don't count that. It might have a third person camera but its an adventure game the same way that Batman: AA is.

In recent years, the Uncharted games are really the only ones that I would put on the same level as Max Payne 1 & 2. The third Max Payne was the weakest of the series so its surprising how many people are rating it here.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#99 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I'd say Vanquish. Games should encourage you to be agressive not punish you for it.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#100 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Resident Evil 4 is vastly superior