Gears 5 is an amazing PC port

  • 62 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for Juub1990
#1 Edited by Juub1990 (8717 posts) -

Courtesy of Digital Foundry

  • Plethora of settings to choose from
  • Detailed in-game benchmarks
  • In-game performance metrics
  • Runs very well across a wide range of hardware(Just leave Insane alone)
  • Dynamic resolution support
  • Higher settings actually matter and make the game look better
  • Built in resolution scaler
  • Loads of post-processing options

Cons

  • No real exclusive full-screen
  • Slight problems with dynamic resolutions when GPU is under heavy load

Honestly I applaud the effort here. You can tell a lot of care was put into this port and it wasn't just some throwaway bullet points like my list above. Not much a Gears fan anymore but I'll definitely pick up this one if not just to encourage devs to pay attention to PC and deliver good ports.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#2 Posted by uninspiredcup (34917 posts) -

This should be expected, not applauded.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
#3 Posted by Ghosts4ever (10543 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

This should be expected, not applauded.

Microsoft actually back to PC. so i give credit to them. microsoft return to PC has been impressive as a result im looking forward to Halo Infinite.

on other hands Gears is still mediocre wall cover shooter.

Avatar image for davillain-
#4 Posted by DaVillain- (37989 posts) -

Gears 5 seems pretty well optimized on PC. I'm running a RTX 2070 in 1440p and so far, this game is beautiful and glad I'm using Game Pass and so far, the Pass works alright on PC, so credit goes to MS so I won't have to deal with another console just to play fewer MS games.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#5 Posted by SolidGame_basic (24457 posts) -

Decided to do the Game Pass $2 trial. Gonna check out the game!

Avatar image for dxmcat
#6 Posted by dxmcat (2745 posts) -

this thread is such a beyond stupid moot point.

Ever since OG xbox, consoles are literally just chained and locked ass backwards PCs. I guess you could say 360 was a Mac? lulz.

Yea original GoW sucked on PC, but that was intentional sabotage.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#7 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4996 posts) -

Well, I finally got it installed to play, but they gave me a message that I have to wait until Monday evening to play it. Apparently the free pass I got was for plebs. Guess I have to find out then.

Avatar image for davillain-
#8 Posted by DaVillain- (37989 posts) -

I must be the only PC gamer that doesn't give a shit about GPU temperatures? My 2070 barely impacts performance at all and has zero impact on longevity when under heavy loads.

Avatar image for davillain-
#9 Posted by DaVillain- (37989 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Well, I finally got it installed to play, but they gave me a message that I have to wait until Monday evening to play it. Apparently the free pass I got was for plebs. Guess I have to find out then.

You probably didn't bother to get Gears 5 Ultimate edition with the Game Pass included cause I just got UE and currently playing Gears 5 as we speak.

Avatar image for NoodleFighter
#10 Posted by NoodleFighter (10496 posts) -

@davillain-: My GTX 1080 mini itx rig is in my bedroom which is usually air conditioned so I don't worry about temps at all outside of when the radiator is really hot in the winter (can't control how hot the radiator gets in my building). But I do care a lot about temps on my gaming laptop though. My Dell G3 GTX 1060 Max Q laptop will throttle performance if it gets too hot which is basically with any mid-high end modern game. I recently bought a cooling pad for it to drop its temperatures by 10 degrees on full load and that stopped the throttling. I never realized how hot it could get since I owned it mostly in the winter.

One of my friends plays on a budget build with a very dated CPU and has a house fan blowing air directly into his PC since even playing low demanding games like CSGO pushes it hard and throttles performance. So imagine a lot of other people with budget rigs and laptops care about heat. But yeah modern gaming rigs even small form factor ones heat isn't much of an issue until you start overclocking.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#11 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4996 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Well, I finally got it installed to play, but they gave me a message that I have to wait until Monday evening to play it. Apparently the free pass I got was for plebs. Guess I have to find out then.

You probably didn't bother to get Gears 5 Ultimate edition with the Game Pass included cause I just got UE and currently playing Gears 5 as we speak.

I got a free month of GP for PC because Alienware was giving out codes for signing up on their site. They let me DL the game (after doing an update) but the pass doesn't cover early access it looks like. :(

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#12 Edited by lundy86_4 (53799 posts) -

Just upgraded to Ultimate from regular GP for $2. Downloading now...

I also found Gears 4 to run very nicely at 4k. I can mostly lock 60fps at Ultra, with lighting settings set to High, as well a low AA.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#13 Posted by lundy86_4 (53799 posts) -

@davillain- said:

I must be the only PC gamer that doesn't give a shit about GPU temperatures? My 2070 barely impacts performance at all and has zero impact on longevity when under heavy loads.

I don't either. My case is plenty big enough for air flow, and I use a closed loop CPU cooler, which frees up some room. My fans very rarely spin up all that much.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#14 Posted by I_P_Daily (12516 posts) -

Gamers talking to each other about Gears.

Gamer #1 the boss on act 2 was awesome.

Gamer#2 loving horde mode.

Gamer#3 the escape mode is pretty cool.

Hermits, how about the settings

Gamer 1, 2 & 3....

Hermits in a nutshell lol.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#15 Edited by lundy86_4 (53799 posts) -

After much work on my brother's end with getting his MS account fixed, downloading the Xbox (Beta) app (which was a chore, because Windows Store,) updating a .net file due to errors in downloading Gears 5, we'll finally be able to coop the game tomorrow due to his 50Mb/S internet. I'm dead lol.

Might boot up TD2 as Uplay+ is free til the end of Sept, I think.

Avatar image for davillain-
#16 Posted by DaVillain- (37989 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

After much work on my brother's end with getting his MS account fixed, downloading the Xbox (Beta) app (which was a chore, because Windows Store,) updating a .net file due to errors in downloading Gears 5, we'll finally be able to coop the game tomorrow due to his 50Mb/S internet. I'm dead lol.

Might boot up TD2 as Uplay+ is free til the end of Sept, I think.

There's seems to be a Save issues from by just playing the Campaign though, so be aware if you haven't play it already.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#17 Posted by lundy86_4 (53799 posts) -

The game performs exceptionally well...

@davillain- said:

There's seems to be a Save issues from by just playing the Campaign though, so be aware if you haven't play it already.

With Gears? Hopefully that gets patched quick, because we both want to jump in tomorrow once we're done moving the last of my Dad's things out of his house.

Avatar image for DocSanchez
#18 Posted by DocSanchez (5337 posts) -

That it may be but it's not an amazing game.

Avatar image for BassMan
#19 Edited by BassMan (10643 posts) -

@i_p_daily: We actually have the option to crank up the settings beyond peasant mode. U jelly. :P

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#20 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44352 posts) -

Hey, that is good news! Very excited to play this game on PC, my platform of choice. Like...surprisingly excited haha. Wasn't much of a Gears fan to tell you the truth--sticky cover is one of the all-time greatest gaming gimmicks to have been developed--but Gears 4 was enjoyable enough and Gears 5 looks to be doing a lot of things different and for the better.

But...

Can you really call a multiplatform title a "port".

To me, a port is a game that came out for one platform, and then at a later date was "ported" to another platform.

Games that are developed alongside each other for a simultaneous release date are, to me at least, multiplatforms and not ports.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#21 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44352 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:

Gamers talking to each other about Gears.

Gamer #1 the boss on act 2 was awesome.

Gamer#2 loving horde mode.

Gamer#3 the escape mode is pretty cool.

Hermits, how about the settings

Gamer 1, 2 & 3....

Hermits in a nutshell lol.

Right, and then the news about the next gen of consoles comes out and for a years it's all "Oh my console can do so many tittyflops, it beats your console" or "Yeah yours might have more memory, but mine has better memory" or some other nonsense.

Don't act like your crowd isn't guilty of the same thing.

Avatar image for Juub1990
#22 Posted by Juub1990 (8717 posts) -
@i_p_daily said:

Gamers talking to each other about Gears.

Gamer #1 the boss on act 2 was awesome.

Gamer#2 loving horde mode.

Gamer#3 the escape mode is pretty cool.

Hermits, how about the settings

Gamer 1, 2 & 3....

Hermits in a nutshell lol.

We're praising a great port. You decided to be a trollish piece of shit.

Avatar image for dagubot
#23 Posted by dagubot (1379 posts) -

I might wait for a price drop on Steam to be honest. I'm not a fan of Xbox Game Pass on PC because it's in beta and have read numerous issues dating back with Metro: Exodus, Slay the Spire, and a few other titles I was interested in. Or I might just wait until Xbox Game Pass is out of beta on PC...lol.

Avatar image for DragonfireXZ95
#24 Edited by DragonfireXZ95 (25508 posts) -

Oh my god, why can't I skip the first previously on Gears cutscene? I DON'T CARE! Fucking games and their unskippable cutscenes. The story sucks, just let me play the damn game.

EDIT: Now I'm stuck on the credits. Jesus Christ, this is enough to just make me quit.

The game has serious optimization problems atm. It's only utilizing like 50% of my GPU. Notice the wattage. It should be at 330+ watts.

Others are getting the same issue: https://forums.gearsofwar.com/t/stuttering-on-pc/23170/15

EDIT2: Nevermind, figured it out. Bloom on Ultra is the culprit. Turning Bloom to off fixes the issue completely. Still, that should not be an issue.

Avatar image for Cloud_imperium
#25 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14957 posts) -

Ports don't exist anymore (few exceptions). These days all versions are created together natively.

Avatar image for Pedro
#26 Posted by Pedro (35601 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

Ports don't exist anymore (few exceptions). These days all versions are created together natively.

This is correct.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#27 Posted by I_P_Daily (12516 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: I just told it like it is, not one of your lot is talking about how fun the game is, just the settings, its pathetic.

@Juub1990 said:
@i_p_daily said:

Gamers talking to each other about Gears.

Gamer #1 the boss on act 2 was awesome.

Gamer#2 loving horde mode.

Gamer#3 the escape mode is pretty cool.

Hermits, how about the settings

Gamer 1, 2 & 3....

Hermits in a nutshell lol.

We're praising a great port. You decided to be a trollish piece of shit.

Don't get shitty at me for telling the truth.

@BassMan said:

@i_p_daily: We actually have the option to crank up the settings beyond peasant mode. U jelly. :P

Do you have an option for fun, or just for settings lol.

Avatar image for evil_loli
#28 Posted by Evil_Loli (201 posts) -

Gears 5 also looks good on Xbox One X in 4K/60fps and Coalition did an amazing job getting the game to run in 60fps. Hope this becomes the standard for next-gen consoles to run all games in 60fps and this is coming from a girl who isn't into PC stuff.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#29 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44352 posts) -

@Pedro said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Ports don't exist anymore (few exceptions). These days all versions are created together natively.

This is correct.

Yeah seems like the Japanese do a lot of ports still, and even that is changing; Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter World, and a few more are multiplats.

Avatar image for davillain-
#30 Posted by DaVillain- (37989 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:

@mrbojangles25: I just told it like it is, not one of your lot is talking about how fun the game is, just the settings, its pathetic.

What matters here is Gears 5 is the best MS game for Xbox One and PC of the year. This is a huge step up coming from MS after Crackdown 3's fiasco.

So what does this matter to you Daily? You said Gears isn't your type of game anyways.

Avatar image for Juub1990
#31 Posted by Juub1990 (8717 posts) -
@i_p_daily said:

Don't get shitty at me for telling the truth.

These aren't mutually exclusive. Having options to play with is one of the perks of PC gaming. The Coalition delivered a very good port and this thread is to discuss. For some odd reason you decide to be an idiot and trying to turn this into a negative. Either be constructive or get the hell out of the thread. Your trolling is old by now.

Avatar image for SUD123456
#32 Posted by SUD123456 (5342 posts) -

@Juub1990: I am a console only player and I agree with you. Talking about the game and the settings shouldn't be mutually exclusive and hermits should be free to talk about the latter aspect as it is a fundamental attribute of pc gaming.

Avatar image for DragonfireXZ95
#33 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25508 posts) -

@i_p_daily: Who cares about how fun it is? Fun is subjective, and I don't think the game is all that fun. Thus, the graphic settings are the only thing to talk about.

Avatar image for pc_rocks
#34 Posted by PC_Rocks (2569 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:

Gamers talking to each other about Gears.

Gamer #1 the boss on act 2 was awesome.

Gamer#2 loving horde mode.

Gamer#3 the escape mode is pretty cool.

Hermits, how about the settings

Gamer 1, 2 & 3....

Hermits in a nutshell lol.

Gears is awesome?

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
#35 Edited by Ghosts4ever (10543 posts) -
@pc_rocks said:
@i_p_daily said:

Gamers talking to each other about Gears.

Gamer #1 the boss on act 2 was awesome.

Gamer#2 loving horde mode.

Gamer#3 the escape mode is pretty cool.

Hermits, how about the settings

Gamer 1, 2 & 3....

Hermits in a nutshell lol.

Gears is awesome?

Exactly. its the game that killed third person shooters by popularize wall cover and regen health.

its responsible for casualization of TPS genre. gones are the days when we had Mafia and Max payne.

its hard to take a guy serious when he claim Doom is handholding experience yet praising open world games.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#36 Posted by uninspiredcup (34917 posts) -
@ghosts4ever said:

Exactly. its the game that killed third person shooters by popularize wall cover and regen health.

its responsible for casualization of TPS genre. gones are the days when we had Mafia and Max payne.

its hard to take a guy serious when he claim Doom is handholding experience yet praising open world games.

Correct.

Alot of pc gamers are simply buying this because "teh graphix", as with alot of trash.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7ce72a5fd01
#37 Posted by deactivated-5d7ce72a5fd01 (25 posts) -

Obviously, PC, the only right way to play games. Everywhere else is just wrong and fake.

Avatar image for madrocketeer
#38 Edited by madrocketeer (6662 posts) -

Well, since I'm going to buy the latest Total War: Warhammer II DLC anyway, I've decided I'm going to throw this game into along with it as well. Again, the standard edition is crazy cheap in my neck of the woods. I'm going to buy it after the pre-order period, though - zero interest in any of that pre-order junk.

That said, won't be playing it until NVIDIA release their latest Game Ready Drivers on September 10th.

Avatar image for Gaming-Planet
#39 Posted by Gaming-Planet (20032 posts) -

I'm about to end your entire enjoyment.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for ronvalencia
#40 Edited by ronvalencia (28230 posts) -

@Gaming-Planet: I perfer Gear 5's color palette

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#41 Posted by I_P_Daily (12516 posts) -

@pc_rocks: No, but I think I made my point or don't you hermits have a setting that understands that lol

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#42 Posted by I_P_Daily (12516 posts) -

@Juub1990: Are you like 70yrs old because you act like a whinging old man, either that or a kid who doesn't have the ability to control his anger.

Avatar image for dxmcat
#43 Posted by dxmcat (2745 posts) -
@ghosts4ever said:
@pc_rocks said:
@i_p_daily said:

Gamers talking to each other about Gears.

Gamer #1 the boss on act 2 was awesome.

Gamer#2 loving horde mode.

Gamer#3 the escape mode is pretty cool.

Hermits, how about the settings

Gamer 1, 2 & 3....

Hermits in a nutshell lol.

Gears is awesome?

Exactly. its the game that killed third person shooters by popularize wall cover and regen health.

its responsible for casualization of TPS genre. gones are the days when we had Mafia and Max payne.

its hard to take a guy serious when he claim Doom is handholding experience yet praising open world games.

TPS have always been casual and why they flood the console space. You cant whip around as fast as a KBM so instead you get that giant FOV with TPS than with FPS.

You do nothing but PvE FPS tho so you are hardly one to be indirectly calling people casual for playing TPS.

Avatar image for Juub1990
#44 Posted by Juub1990 (8717 posts) -
@i_p_daily said:

@Juub1990: Are you like 70yrs old because you act like a whinging old man, either that or a kid who doesn't have the ability to control his anger.

If you have nothing else to say other than being a negative piece of shit that tries to derail the thread then see yourself out. Thank you.

Avatar image for BassMan
#45 Edited by BassMan (10643 posts) -

@Gaming-Planet said:

I'm about to end your entire enjoyment.

Loading Video...

That is pathetic. Physics and simulations should be advancing, not taking steps back. I remember seeing a similar video for the Mafia series.

Avatar image for Juub1990
#46 Posted by Juub1990 (8717 posts) -
@BassMan said:

That is pathetic. Physics and simulations should be advancing, not taking steps back. I remember seeing a similar video for the Mafia series.

Not really going backwards. The old ones were just more cartoonishly intense with crazy blood spurts and heavy hits. It's really a design decision more than anything else.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#47 Posted by uninspiredcup (34917 posts) -

@Juub1990 said:
@BassMan said:

That is pathetic. Physics and simulations should be advancing, not taking steps back. I remember seeing a similar video for the Mafia series.

Not really going backwards. The old ones were just more cartoonishly intense with crazy blood spurts and heavy hits. It's really a design decision more than anything else.

What you're describing sounds more fun.

Avatar image for BassMan
#48 Posted by BassMan (10643 posts) -

@Juub1990 said:
@BassMan said:

That is pathetic. Physics and simulations should be advancing, not taking steps back. I remember seeing a similar video for the Mafia series.

Not really going backwards. The old ones were just more cartoonishly intense with crazy blood spurts and heavy hits. It's really a design decision more than anything else.

Watch the whole video. The lack of destruction in the environments, glass shattering, blood trails, water simulation, etc. are all steps backwards.

Avatar image for Pedro
#49 Posted by Pedro (35601 posts) -

@BassMan said:

That is pathetic. Physics and simulations should be advancing, not taking steps back. I remember seeing a similar video for the Mafia series.

The reality is that most gamers simply don't care about those things.

Avatar image for dxmcat
#50 Posted by dxmcat (2745 posts) -

Most casual clownshoes dont even pay attention to shit like that. Lowest common denominator. Lowest common denominator. Just keep repeating it to yourself. They are not gamers, they are casuals, and they make up the majority of the market.