Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 35529 Posts

I love Homeworld, but wtf is this shit?

Gearbox and developer Blackbird Interactive are currently working on Homeworld 3, the long-awaited next instalment in Relic Entertainment's well-regarded sci-fi real-time strategy series.

It's been a good long while since a new Homeworld game was last seen (although the series did get the remaster treatment in 2015), with Homeworld 2 having released all the way back in 2003. It could be a good long while until we see the next series entry too; according to Gearbox, Homeworld 3 is still in the early stages, and "only a few months into pre-production".

All the same, the publisher is hoping that punters will be willing to toss money its way to support development. Homeworld 3 is attempting to secure funds through investments and pledges on crowdfunding website Fig.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 6715 Posts

Crowdfunding is often used more to gauge interest rather than actually raising needed funds. Often times, devs will take their crowdfunding numbers to investors and say "hey, look at this, a lot of people are interested in this thing, wanna invest?" It's then that they get the rest of the funds they actually need.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
@madrocketeer said:

Crowdfunding is often used more to gauge interest rather than actually raising needed funds. Often times, devs will take their crowdfunding numbers to investors and say "hey, look at this, a lot of people are interested in this thing, wanna invest?" It's then that they get the rest of the funds they actually need.

They had Homeworld Remastered and Deserts of Kharak to gouge interest.

They also aren't some tiny indie company. And aren't really in a position for good-will.

Notice as well, they don't seem to be listing platforms.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

Just slap the Steam logo on the kickstarter then remove it and go back to Epic when you made the funding goals.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 madrocketeer  Online
@uninspiredcup said:

They also aren't some tiny indie company. And aren't really in a position for good-will.

Deserts of Kharak was more than 3 years ago. Things change, and this is a new project. They might as well be starting from scratch.

Also, it should be noted that the development will actually be done by Blackbird Interactive, a private studio made up of a bunch of ex-Relic devs. Gearbox just owns the IP and are publishing. In fact, they're probably the investors I was talking about.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#6 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 5245 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

Gearbox needs to get off their asses and make another Duke Nukem or stfu.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@uninspiredcup:

Gearbox needs to get off their asses and make another Duke Nukem or stfu.

They wouldn't be able to make Duke Nukem in this climate without heavy altering it to the point it's no longer Duke Nukem.

They have the IP, so they will (and are) trying. But it will be shit.

@madrocketeer said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Deserts of Kharak was more than 3 years ago. Things change, and this is a new project. They might as well be starting from scratch.

Also, it should be noted that the development will actually be done by Blackbird Interactive, a private studio made up of a bunch of ex-Relic devs. Gearbox just owns the IP and are publishing. In fact, they're probably the investors I was talking about.

3 years is barely any time, it was already in development prior to announcement and it's listed as Gearbox getting the funding.

It looks like it's going to hit it, which just goes to show how gullible gamers are.

Truly a pathetic bunch.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 36232 Posts

Let's see, Randy stole tens of millions of dollars of Sega's money, he stole additional money from his own employees in money that was supposed to go to their royalties. If people haven't learned by now that he's a thief who will probably use this money just to pay his ongoing legal troubles or maybe just to line his own pockets then I'm going to find it entertaining to watch people cry about they totally got taken advantage of. Hell, wouldn't even put it past Randy to make that a solid legal defense too, like "OMG I was a well publicized crook and dishonest person that anybody dumb enough to give me money by the point doesn't deserve to claim ignorance".

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By madrocketeer  Online
@uninspiredcup said:

3 years is barely any time, it was already in development prior to announcement and it's listed as Gearbox getting the funding.

It looks like it's going to hit it, which just goes to show how gullible gamers are.

Truly a pathetic bunch.

Well yeah. As I said, they're the IP holders and publisher. They're probably the ones holding the purse strings, so it makes sense for the funding to go to them.

And "being in development" means very little. It could be a bunch of concept assets and a slapped-together prototype for we know. Trailers often lie.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 54034 Posts

Randy wants more money? I'm shocked.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#11 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 3937 Posts

I think he should crowd fund a Colonial Marines sequel.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 2566 Posts

Maybe they should release the unreleased duke nukem 3d remake they made when forever was released.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 44596 Posts

A publisher-developer like Gearbox trying to crowdfund a game is like a billionaire asking for a money to start new business.

It's petty as hell.

And with Gearbox's/Pritchford's history of money management that is, at best, questionable (and at worst illegal....we will see how the lawsuit plays out), I really don't think we should be handing them any money.

I'd hate the crowdfund something like Homeworld 3, which is probably my most anticipated game in recent memory, only to find out they sent that money to develop Borderlands 3 DLC.

And it's a shame, because I think there is a lot of talent at Gearbox and the various studios they are associated with, but they all seem to be led by a very toxic, opinionated, obnoxious, and amoral man.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 44596 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Let's see, Randy stole tens of millions of dollars of Sega's money, he stole additional money from his own employees in money that was supposed to go to their royalties. If people haven't learned by now that he's a thief who will probably use this money just to pay his ongoing legal troubles or maybe just to line his own pockets then I'm going to find it entertaining to watch people cry about they totally got taken advantage of. Hell, wouldn't even put it past Randy to make that a solid legal defense too, like "OMG I was a well publicized crook and dishonest person that anybody dumb enough to give me money by the point doesn't deserve to claim ignorance".

The worst part is, they're dangling Homeworld 3 out there as bait. Now, if they tried to crowdfund Call of Duty, that'd be different because you'd have millions of people throwing 50 bucks at it. No big deal.

But Homeworld 3? That's an incredible series, but it doesn't have half the marketing power of a major franchise. So you'd probably get a lot of enthusiast investors, people who would throw down hundreds, even thousands, of dollars to see this game come to life. So the being taken advantage of would feel a lot worse to more people.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 uninspiredcup
@mrbojangles25 said:

A publisher-developer like Gearbox trying to crowdfund a game is like a billionaire asking for a money to start new business.

It's petty as hell.

And with Gearbox's/Pritchford's history of money management that is, at best, questionable (and at worst illegal....we will see how the lawsuit plays out), I really don't think we should be handing them any money.

I'd hate the crowdfund something like Homeworld 3, which is probably my most anticipated game in recent memory, only to find out they sent that money to develop Borderlands 3 DLC.

And it's a shame, because I think there is a lot of talent at Gearbox and the various studios they are associated with, but they all seem to be led by a very toxic, opinionated, obnoxious, and amoral man.

Pretty much all of this.

It's like if Donald Trump stood outside Trump Tower with a Mcdonalds cup clinking coins.

I mean this is Take 2 and Gearbox we are talking about here, are people off their tits?

From the looks of it, yes. Yes they are.

Completely off their tits.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 54034 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

It's petty as hell.

Pretty much all of this.

It's like if Donald Trump stood outside Trump Tower with a Mcdonalds cup clinking coins.

I mean this is Take 2 and Gearbox we are talking about here, are people off their tits?

From the looks of it, yes. Yes they are.

Completely off their tits.

Consumers are dumb-dumbs. Base consumers have minimal knowledge, and even avid gamers probably just throw money at a potential game and call it a day.

It's sad to say that crowd-funding offered a potential "out" to investors, should sufficient funding be found. It was a novel idea initially, but as per usual, good ideas are quickly co-opted.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#17 Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 1894 Posts

The company that misappropriated the funds Sega gave them for Colonial Marines towards Borderlands? Why would any gamer trust them with their funds? I hope they crash and burn.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 12609 Posts

The Smut Wizard seems like an honest and honorable bloke, why not?