Gaming laptop or Steam Deck (512gb version)

• 59 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Gaming laptop or Steam Deck (512gb version) (60 votes)

Gaming laptop 38%
Steam Deck (512gb version) 60%

It seems to me that gaming laptops have come a long way. They can pack a bit of power and can play many games at high settings or above. Battery life will probably be similar between the two, so I think it comes down to perceived value. What do you think is better, SW?

• 
tribesjah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51 tribesjah
Member since 2007 • 197 Posts

Given the price (at least of the 512gb version) I think a cheap gaming laptop makes more sense than the steam deck for me. You could get something with an RTX 3050ti (not great but not a terrible card either based on benchmarks I have seen) would cost 1000. From a performance perspective that is much better than the specs in the steam deck (plus you do more than just gaming on it, granted you could argue the same thing for the deck but with the deck you would need other hardware so cant do productivity stuff while mobile/on the move, while with a gaming laptop you can).

I do still have a 256gb preordered just in case, but given the pricing and what i think its performance will be like, I will most likely cancel. It could, of course, be a good emulation machine, but my Galaxy S21 is also pretty decent for that (connected to a Xbox controller with the screen holding thing)

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#52 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

Tough call between a laptop or the Steam Deck. It's not entirely clear to me how well the Steam Deck will be able to function as a standard PC, so if you're looking for a multi-purpose device and not just a portable game system then at the moment, laptop seems the safest choice. If all you want is a handheld PC for playing games then definitely the Steam Deck.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1852 Posts

@xantufrog said:
@luxuryheart said:

It has been pinned against the Switch, putting the Switch in a negative light, since this was first released. Most of the people celebrating that on here don't even like portable gaming, they just want to trash the Switch.

If by "it has been pinned against" you mean "that one dude Hardwenzen has been using this to troll the Switch", then sure. Or if by pinned against you mean people have been discussing how much more powerful it is in other threads - well... dispute that. You can't.

But this thread isn't even about the Switch, and the most vocal defenders of this gadget seem to be PC gamers, and the topic/argument here is between those who are said defenders and those who are like "f*ck that, I want a laptop for my PC games"

Nintendo has nothing to do with this argument. Sony has nothing to do with this argument. Blaznwiipspman, who you weirdly chose to respond to, wants one of these and said so in his comment. He was talking about this vs the laptop... you're the one bringing up the Switch.

What is their to dispute? Power literally doesn't matter for hand helds like that, and I eagerly await the flop of this thing. Gabe Newell needs to stop wasting his time and money on stuff like this.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

Steam Deck will probably be their most successful hardware endeavour, ticks all the boxes from past mistakes, as they directly commented on during the IGN interview.

Even on this relatively sparse forum seen several users (myself included) interested in a purchase.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38803 Posts

I don't see Casey crying in Deck threads. What is going on??

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#56 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@luxuryheart: you and palasta should hang out.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#57 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

A laptop would be bulkier and cost much more. Would be dumb to not get the Deck over a laptop.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Gaming laptops are loud, hot POS.... I hate them so much. Even with all the die size improvements on CPUs and GPU over the last decade most laptops are running a 45-50db and higher with temps in the 80-90c area.

Then there is the price.

I love laptops, love PC gaming... Combining the two, Nah!

Gimme something like a Switch with more power and I will take it over any gaming laptop.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8770 Posts

My laptop had heating issues when I played games. Had to get external fans. Not as fun as you think it might be.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts

@pelvist said:

Steam Deck because I have a gaming PC and laptops suck for gaming on.

Yeah, this is probably the best option if a gaming laptop is in the budget. Opt for a gaming desktop over a laptop and use the price difference to subsidize the deck model of your choice. At least that would work best for my gaming habits.