GameStop-"Why buy new?"

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HoVDaHuSTLa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 HoVDaHuSTLa1
Member since 2006 • 1288 Posts

Walked in this morning to pick my standard copy of Second Son when the rep.....EDGAR.....kept asking me "are you suuuuuure you don't wanna hold out a week and get it used? After all, you ARE a Power Up member." He must have asked me at least four times until I turned around and walked over to the Best Buy across the road. Are they receiving commission??!!!

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Because gamespot make more money off used copies

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

I can't stand the Gamestop million questions....one NO should be plenty. I take all my business to Best Buy or digitally.

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

I miss Electronic Boutique.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

Their sales people are awful.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

And this is why I like using Amazon

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:

I can't stand the Gamestop million questions....one NO should be plenty. I take all my business to Best Buy or digitally.

Luckily i've been going to my store long enough where they know I don't put up with that shit.

HoVDaHuSTLa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HoVDaHuSTLa1

@draign: yes that and Funcoland. Golden years

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#9 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Never really had any problems with EB Games. But generally, I'd rather buy new.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

This is why I love digital downloads.

What's mine is mine and will always be mine.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

Haha retail stores are vastly overrated. Even on the 360 the vast majority of my purchases were digital. This gen should be great with the savings on digital copies. The disc drive on my X1 has only ever seen DVD's.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

when you are an employee, they HAVE to do it. i think the store you went out to is lagging behind used sales and havent met their quota.

that said, whoever that guy is is really horrible. call gamestop to complain. thats irritating

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

That sales rep is terrible. As a sale rep it is your job to convince someone to purchase an item. You were already buying your Infamous copy so he should simply have shut up and handed you your copy. I would call the manager over such nonsense. That is irritating.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#14 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

These damn generalizations that take place in the gaming industry are so stupid

CloudStrife213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CloudStrife213
Member since 2006 • 430 Posts

You're lucky that the gaming stores in your country offer used games.

In my country, only brand new games are sold, although there is an advantage for us that games only cost about $42 tax included, if you are wondering, I live in Asia.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

This.

I use Amazon for 99% of my game purchases. Always buy new, gotta support the devs.

HoVDaHuSTLa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HoVDaHuSTLa1

@jsmoke03: I agree but also can't ignore the fact that at the end of the day, a sale has to be done, today, in order to go against other store's sales numbers. So by brushing me off to wait a week, he didn't only promote the near by Best Buy, he lost a sale. Personally speaking, I'm done with them, wish I could sell my points to someone.

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By steamistrash
Member since 2014 • 431 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

You can get your money back not store credit if you buy a used copy from gamestop.

So it's best to buy used plus if ur used copy doesnt work they will give you another copy or your money back..

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

Im not a rude person in real life, but the few times i go to Gamestop I am rude on purpose to those annoying ass clerks. CUz I know whats coming so i throw back to them.

When I go into a Gamestop I always go in fast and make my demands very clear and strict. When they start asking for all their bullshit and this and this, I literally say back to them "Why the hell would I want a used copy when i specifically said I wanted it new ?" Then when they sart their monologue about pre-ordering all these random games and I can get this and that bla bla bla "If i wanted to pre-order something, i would of told you already".

Alot of times they dont know shit about nothing, I remember God of War 3, when i went to pick it up the guy asked me if that would be the 360 version.........

Alot of times I go to pick up a pre-order and I give them my receipt of it so all they have to do is look at it and read it instead of asking me questions and doing stuff in their computer, and they come back with the 360 version of the multiplat game i pre-ordered when the receipt specifically said PS3 version. Then they had the nerve to say "well you should get it on the 360 cuz it has online multiplayer"

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MonsieurX

@steamistrash said:

@MonsieurX said:

You can get your money back not store credit if you buy a used copy from gamestop.

So it's best to buy used plus if ur used copy doesnt work they will give you another copy or your money back..

Yeah,and if you want the industry to die by not supporting the devs

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By steamistrash

@MonsieurX said:

@steamistrash said:

@MonsieurX said:

The industry's already dead,so who cares charging for download content that was made before the game even shipped could of been included in the game proves the state of greed in the industry.

People havent made any real video games worth buying in a long long time.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#22 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Gamestop mate

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MonsieurX

@steamistrash said:

@MonsieurX said:

@steamistrash said:

@MonsieurX said:

The industry's already dead,so who cares charging for download content that was made before the game even shipped could of been included in the game proves the state of greed in the industry.

People havent made any real video games worth buying in a long long time.

Why not pirate the game at that point

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 steamistrash

I like how people act like video games are different than movies or music.

You should be able to try before you buy to know if you really want to support the brand.

The lack of demos releasing for games is also helping create piracy because people want to try before they buy.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MonsieurX

@steamistrash said:

You should be able to try before you buy to know if you really want to support the brand.

The lack of demos releasing for games is also helping create piracy because people want to try before they buy.

lol heewee,bandodging again?

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 steamistrash

Basically only established franchises sell copies these days and nobody really wants to risk buying a new franchise game if they dont have a goddamn demo or way to try it first.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Worse than piracy

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Digital and Amazon are the way to go nowadays. Brick and mortar stores are just out to annoy you. ;)

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By steamistrash

@MonsieurX said:

@steamistrash said:

Hows this any different than renting a game from blockbuster back in the day it's piracy lets stop video game rentals the person played the game and didnt like it and is not gonna buy it now boohoo.

Actually i've bought used and new copy of the same game before because it was worth having a extra copy.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MonsieurX

@steamistrash said:

@MonsieurX said:

@steamistrash said:

Hows this any different than renting a game from blockbuster back in the day it's piracy lets stop video game rentals the person played the game and didnt like it and is not gonna buy it now boohoo.

Actually i've bought used and new copy of the same game before because it was worth having a extra copy.

So,how's the bans heewee?

Renting was a different story since store had to pay a special fee to actually have to rent the game.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Apparently no one has worked sales before, usually when I go to my local GS they ask me if I want to reserve any game that's gonna come out and I usually say no and that's the end of the conversation.

I swear some people on here are anti social to the letter.

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 steamistrash

NETFLIX IS PIRACY ZOMG, people get to beat a game and not pay for it the developers arent getting the money......waaaaaa

Maybe if they didnt create shitty games the person would go buy it even after beating it to add to their collection.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@HoVDaHuSTLa1 said:

Walked in this morning to pick my standard copy of Second Son when the rep.....EDGAR.....kept asking me "are you suuuuuure you don't wanna hold out a week and get it used? After all, you ARE a Power Up member." He must have asked me at least four times until I turned around and walked over to the Best Buy across the road. Are they receiving commission??!!!

Yes. Give your money to GameStop instead of supporting the developers who WROTE THE GAME.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MonsieurX

@steamistrash said:

NETFLIX IS PIRACY ZOMG, people get to beat a game and not pay for it the developers arent getting the money......waaaaaa

Maybe if they didnt create shitty games the person would go buy it even after beating it to add to their collection.

Maybe if you didn't have shitty tastes.

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By steamistrash

LOL www.fileplanet.com got shut down because the lack of demos being released today, must mean developers dont trust the quality of their product knows it's a shit game so they want you to make the mistake of buying it before trying it.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

@HoVDaHuSTLa1 said:

They will say they don't get a commission but in reality if they don't sell enough PUR cards, pre orders and used titles they get their hours cut. If you don't meet expected quotas youll have no chance of even becoming assistant manager. Plus they beat it into their heads they need to sell those things to the point where the customers cease to even be real people or actual customers.

Besides how much new stuff do they sell that's actually new? I remember wanting to buy a psp game so I went to the counter and the guy went and got the display box off the wall that was bleached out from sitting in the sun, had stickers UNDER the plastic on the box artwork, stickers stuck on the back of the box, a crack, dusty and covered in god knows what from being handled for years. He put a sticker on it to "seal" it and sold it as a new product. I asked him about it and he said "If the game disc has never been inserted into a console then its still brand new because it hasn't been played regardless of the packaging. That's gamestop policy. Besides dude its just the box the game is fine". I didn't buy it.

They are on the whole just an awful shitty terrible company.

Since I quit shopping there and buying from bestbuy to get reward points and points on my discover card, buying from amazon during sales, buying used games from ebay plus earning ebay bucks, and then getting sales at target, toys r us and so on I have saved myself a ton of money since virtually all of the stores I buy games except gamestop give me cash back rewards on my credit card. Lamestop usually sells everything at MSRP anyway.

Only a kid spending their parents money, or complete morons who don't shop around, or truly impatient people shop at gamestop and waste their money when they could go elsewhere and save hundreds a year for the same thing.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

@steamistrash: I agree with this. Most games aren't of the quality or size to warrant a $60 dollar price tag. Titan fall is one of them. A product rushed too release touted as not a finished product in it's beta form only to be released in the exact same shape the beta was in, plus the rest of the content which sadly isn't all that much. But they let you buy a premium season pass. What do you get for that season pass? Some maps but we wont tell you how many or what kinds, or what else comes with them. But we'll sell you this season pass anyway...

Ya screw gamestop I don't mind the one near me but games aren't created equal and so their prices should reflect that. a game that can last like skyrim for more then 300+ hours ya maybe that could be worth 100. A game like Tittanfall an only online game that is limited in what it has for online features should probably be 20-30 new.

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By steamistrash

dreamfall adventures is a new pc/xbox360 shooter but still no demo and it's a new franchise.

No demo is giving it no promotion and creating less sales actually because a demo brings the game to the attention of people.

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By steamistrash

@MonsieurX said:

@steamistrash said:

@MonsieurX said:

@steamistrash said:

Renting was a different story since store had to pay a special fee to actually have to rent the game.

you act as if you paid no money for a used game at gamestop, hey you dont want to support gamestop stay in business you just only want the developer to stay in business?Thats just as dumb how about buying a used copy and a new copy of a game you truly love?Because you could break the used copy u know or lend it to a friend to play online with you..

Then if ur friend really likes it this might create a retail purchase or you could sell em ur game.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#40 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@Boddicker said:

@MonsieurX said:

This.

I use Amazon for 99% of my game purchases. Always buy new, gotta support the devs.

Like you I buy 99% of my game purchases from Amazon; however, always buy used, gotta love those cheap games for $15-$30.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Why wait a week to save a lousy $5 on a $60 game...lol...Gamestop.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MonsieurX

@steamistrash said:

@MonsieurX said:

@steamistrash said:

@MonsieurX said:

@steamistrash said:

you act as if you paid no money for a used game at gamestop, hey you dont want to support gamestop stay in business you just only want the developer to stay in business?Thats just as dumb how about buying a used copy and a new copy of a game you truly love?Because you could break the used copy u know or lend it to a friend to play online with you..

Then if ur friend really likes it this might create a retail purchase or you could sell em ur game.

But you said all the new games suck.

So,why bother buying 2 copies?

And why buy a brand new copy and a used one to support the evil scum gamestop?

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By steamistrash

@MonsieurX said:

@steamistrash said:

@MonsieurX said:

@steamistrash said:

@MonsieurX said:

@steamistrash said:

But you said all the new games suck.

So,why bother buying 2 copies?

And why buy a brand new copy and a used one to support the evil scum gamestop?

Lol that's the great thing about gamestop they dont sell just new games you can find used games no longer in production.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#44 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@steamistrash said:

@MonsieurX said:

Yeah, I'm sure that will happen. Feel free to blame me when it does. Someone will always be there to replace a developer that goes bankrupt. Good games will always be around.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MonsieurX

And bandodging is still against the ToU

@steamistrash said:

Lol that's the great thing about gamestop they dont sell just new games you can find used games no longer in production.

So,how do you find a new copy of a game no longer in production?

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 steamistrash

I love how developers have convinced the new generation of gamers that buying used games is a form of piracy lol.

That's like them saying im pirating by buying a 30 year old atari2600 game at a flea market.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#47 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Why buy used at any store besides bestbuy? Get the 2 year gamer unlock membership. Cost 120 upfront but you can catch it on sale for 60.

You can pay $47 for brand new game on the day its released.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@HoVDaHuSTLa1 said:

That sales rep is an idiot, he has a customer in his store and he's asking him to leave and come back (taking the chance the guy will go to another store entirely)....some of these stores hire fanboys and morons. Next time I went in I would ask that kid Edgar some questions and figure out why he was keen on that really stupid idea. Clearly he doesn't understand retail. You don't sent customers out the door. Perhaps he doesn't value his job.

The obvious thing is used sales, but that isn't what I think he was doing. They aren't trained to send customers out the door until next week, this was an initiative started for some other reason.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I can't remember the last time I stepped into a gamestop.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

I'm not poor...and i prefer to support devs as much as possible.