Gamestop: "pre-owend business good for industry"

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Developers, make games people want to keep. Simple right?

InfinityMugen

Yeah, it's that simple :|

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
[QUOTE="xxxLUGZxxx"]

[QUOTE="navyguy21"] Your argument is valid.......after the fact. But you have to consider those used games that are on shelves within the month of release. Those used sales are what hurt the developer. No one is arguing that used games are BAD..............in fact they are good for the industry. But you have to admit that selling used copies of new games within that month hurt new game sales.navyguy21

It's possible that the developers were "hurt" by a used game sale within the first month or so, but there's no empirical evidence to suggest that a new game sale would have occurred without a used game option.

And if developers are upset by Gamestop selling used games for $55, then why do they just have new games sell for $55? Or $50? I mean, if someone is willing to buy a used game for $55, it stands to reason that they would buy a new one for the same price.

And I just want to emphasis the fact that all this supposed lost revenue to used games, if the developers/publishers are able to find a way to claim this unknown quantity, as consumers and gamers we will see NOTHING of this. Games will remain the same price, development will stay the same, but we're left with one less option for buying games. Sounds awesome huh?

I think you are talking yourself in circles. To you first point - There is CLEAR evidence that a purchase would have happened......the customer bought a used copy. I think thats evidence enough. Clearly the customer wanted the game right? Second point - If devs/publishers charged 55 for games, then used games would simple be 50, and so on. You cant top the undercutting because Gamestop doesnt have the same risk as the developer. Lastly, console games cost more because of the royalty fee, and the high cost of next gen, hd development. Devs are losing money within that first month, and thats when it matters most. IF devs made more money, they they would take more risks. As it stands how, they dont SELL enough..............as in NEW copies. They dont make a dime on used. Even if i buy a game 6mos from now, and i bought it for 29 bucks new, all that goes to the publisher/dev. That doesnt happen if there are used games on the shelf. I think that the problem devs have. I have always said that used games were great, but i have enough economic education to know that it DOES effect the video game industry.

what if they didn't have the amount they needed, what if they only had enough to buy the game preowned, what if they had actaully waited for a pre-owned copy because it was the only thing they could afford, i am married with six kids, although i buy all my games new (because i am fussy and i want my games day one) but even i use the last game i bought as trade in towards it, when you are on low income and have mouths to feed you save every quid you possibly can, There are more Factors pointing towards people NOT buying a game new if they cannot get it preowned than there is eveidence that these same people would have bought the game new if there where no pre-owned copies, Basic human nature, Everyone has an upper limit as to what they are prepared to pay for something, econimics doesn't really apply when talking about what individual people are going to do and the choices they make, human nature cannot be measured in economical terms.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Much like how brothels are good for marriages....

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 delta3074

Zaibach
Thats not a very good analogy at all, think about it a little,lol
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Zaibach

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

delta3074

I think it fits perfectly because I think used games cannibalizes devs profits

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 delta3074

[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="Zaibach"]

Zaibach

But you are talking about something that is morally reprehensible vs a legal right, and the brothel is a expensive option than going home to the wife, with pre-owed games you pay less,Brothels are bad for marriages, pre-owned games, whether you like it or not, are actually good for the consumer,lol
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Zaibach

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

[QUOTE="delta3074"]Thats not a very good analogy at all, think about it a little,loldelta3074

But you are talking about something that is morally reprehensible vs a legal right, and the brothel is a expensive option than going home to the wife, with pre-owed games you pay less,Brothels are bad for marriages, pre-owned games, whether you like it or not, are actually good for the consumer,lol

And devs dont make any money, pack up, and no games for the consumer which is bad for the consumers :P thats the consumer cheating on the devs/pubs with gamestop and giving those whores all the money that should be going to lovely people at Activision.

Bazooka_4ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Bazooka_4ME
Member since 2008 • 2540 Posts
Remind me again the reason behind the pass option implementation...
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
If they feel that way.......why wont they give devs their fair share?navyguy21
Because once its been sold new its no longer their property to make money off of. Do car or movie,music company's get to make money off of used unless they sell used themselves, no.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#60 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

pre owned buisness in mom and pop stores is good for the industry.

Pre owned buisness by a world wide monopoly where often people don't even buy the games for full price but trade in thus no money changes hands except for that company and that company shafts the customer at every opportunity so as to make massive profits of which they never share with the developers...etc is not good for the industry.

WilliamRLBaker
this makes sense to me. I mean the publishers made their money by shipping the games out....but there should be royalty fee''s of some sort which gamestop and the publishers should come to agreement on...believe me gamestop needs games more than publishers need gamestop
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="HaloPimp978"]

Devs should be getting at least a 50% cut of used game sales. GS should not have it all for themselves.

Cranler

Devs should make better games if they want more money near the launching window of new games.

The demand for the used game market is there. No reason Gamestop should reap all the rewards. Gamestop is biting the hand that feeds.

Then they either need to start selling used themsleves since the game isn't' there to make money off of once its sold new and becomes used, or offer incentives to buy new over used.
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

Its been proven numerous times that used game sales improve and grow the game industry ten-fold. This includes the games people by used from that developer. The issue is that Gamestop has a huge monopoly over the used game sale business, thus that growth is only relevant to the context of Gamestop's business, which imo, is not a good thing.

Its sad when you see all these developers close down but you see a used-video game store selling their product make Billions of dollars from their work.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#63 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

How about Gamestop stops ripping people off? Then maybe the industry would improve.

I don't see why Gamestop won't make a deal with the publishers where they will give some of their earnings from used games (like $10 or so) to the publisher and Gamestop keeps the rest. That would solve this whole issue.

At my local Gamestop they are trying to get people to get rid of their 360's, they are doing deals constantly where people can trade in their 360's towards a PS3. I asked why and manager there told me that it's because the next Xbox is not going to play used games, where the other platforms will, so they want people to switch over.

Apparently Gamestop managers get to go to E3 and other events and also special industry insider news as well.

spiderluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 spiderluck
Member since 2012 • 2405 Posts
[QUOTE="navyguy21"][QUOTE="xxxLUGZxxx"]

It's possible that the developers were "hurt" by a used game sale within the first month or so, but there's no empirical evidence to suggest that a new game sale would have occurred without a used game option.

And if developers are upset by Gamestop selling used games for $55, then why do they just have new games sell for $55? Or $50? I mean, if someone is willing to buy a used game for $55, it stands to reason that they would buy a new one for the same price.

And I just want to emphasis the fact that all this supposed lost revenue to used games, if the developers/publishers are able to find a way to claim this unknown quantity, as consumers and gamers we will see NOTHING of this. Games will remain the same price, development will stay the same, but we're left with one less option for buying games. Sounds awesome huh?

delta3074
I think you are talking yourself in circles. To you first point - There is CLEAR evidence that a purchase would have happened......the customer bought a used copy. I think thats evidence enough. Clearly the customer wanted the game right? Second point - If devs/publishers charged 55 for games, then used games would simple be 50, and so on. You cant top the undercutting because Gamestop doesnt have the same risk as the developer. Lastly, console games cost more because of the royalty fee, and the high cost of next gen, hd development. Devs are losing money within that first month, and thats when it matters most. IF devs made more money, they they would take more risks. As it stands how, they dont SELL enough..............as in NEW copies. They dont make a dime on used. Even if i buy a game 6mos from now, and i bought it for 29 bucks new, all that goes to the publisher/dev. That doesnt happen if there are used games on the shelf. I think that the problem devs have. I have always said that used games were great, but i have enough economic education to know that it DOES effect the video game industry.

what if they didn't have the amount they needed, what if they only had enough to buy the game preowned, what if they had actaully waited for a pre-owned copy because it was the only thing they could afford, i am married with six kids, although i buy all my games new (because i am fussy and i want my games day one) but even i use the last game i bought as trade in towards it, when you are on low income and have mouths to feed you save every quid you possibly can, There are more Factors pointing towards people NOT buying a game new if they cannot get it preowned than there is eveidence that these same people would have bought the game new if there where no pre-owned copies, Basic human nature, Everyone has an upper limit as to what they are prepared to pay for something, econimics doesn't really apply when talking about what individual people are going to do and the choices they make, human nature cannot be measured in economical terms.

Surely there has to be some middle ground that can satisfy consumers of all income strata whilst maintaining a healthy development environment....But greed being what it is, imposition of measures seems to be the only alternative....somebody should form a dev union